shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen assistance

Michael13

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

New member here, i wasn't sure what else to do as i feel my fiance and i are stuck.

Ill fill you guys in with a bit of background, but I'm looking for advice on how to move forward.

I purchased a beautiful 14K diamond engagement ring from James Allen on 04/28/2017 with a True Hearts Diamond.(absolutely stunning, we have received soo many compliments on her diamond and ring)

Most recently with our Wedding date quickly approaching (07/14/2019) we decided to purchase both of our wedding bands. We did opt for the inscriptions on the bands as we had done so with her engagement ring. We received the rings, without the inscriptions and had called JA immediately and they told us this would be corrected promptly, which it was. We were emailed all the RMA/Customs papers next day which was great.

I had the means to upgrade her engagement ring to platinum to match her band and figured why not inquire about the upgrade for the setting. James Allen associates told me this was no issue at all and they would send me a quote upon receipt of the ring, they also assured me to leave the Diamond in as it would be in no better hands than the original manufacturer to place the diamond in the platinum setting, i agreed.

The ring was shipped back with the bands to be upgraded on 05/08/2019, the shipment was received at JA on 05/10/2019.

On 05/16/2019 i received the worse phone call we could have imagined and feared to be honest.They had chipped her True Hearts diamond. I was told by staff not to worry as they would correct this issue even if it meant taking a bit of a loss. I was happy to hear JA was already on the ball.

However, upon receipt of "Diamond" replacement options none were TRUE HEARTS DIAMONDS, i called the staff back and asked if the diamonds they would be sending me would only be AGS True hearts diamonds. Several members stated although not true "True heart" diamonds they would sparkle. This frustrated me immensely, i made a purchase for what the website states is less than 1% of diamonds in the world, how could they replace such a diamond with good, very good or anything less than their AGS platinum ideal (true hearts diamond). This also prompted me to make a phone call to AGS, which they also stated that i should not accept anything less than a "Platinum AGS" as well as it is their highest grading.

My most recent email had its first TRUE HEARTS diamond included as a possible option except its is SI1, i purchased a VS1 diamond so it was eye clean and I would never have to make this purchase again. I had than also been told at this time they would find the best price possible ??? originally JA said they would take the hit as they smelted my ring, re cut the diamond for sale and had made an insurance claim. I'm at a loss for words, i don't see any SOPS being followed, KPI's in terms of length of resolve. This cannot be best practice, I'm sure of it.

I tried to contact James Allen(the owner) today (06/14/2019) on LINKEDIN (even upgraded to platinum to message him) but had not realized the txt only allows so much script(new to using LINKEDIN). I feel ridiculous in having to go to such lengths. I love our ring(s) and the products we have received , i have referred and had other friends purchase from JA on my referral. However, i have not received the service most would expect from an error made by the manufacturer. I understand mistakes happen, we are all Human , however i do expect it to be resolved in a timely manner, this is not just a diamond, it may be so to the staff , however when you have come to love and cherish something that has been on ones hand for two years it defiantly comes with a heavy heart and sadness now to know she will never see that diamond again. They have no idea what my Fiance is going through.

We were told the diamonds are updated daily and have been looking everyday, we are loosing sleep over this matter, it is adding unneeded stress.

Any direction would be great, i apologize for the long drawn email. This hardly explains many more details that i have had to deal with as well. I'm not here to bash them by any means, i love there products and i think they do stand well above the other online sellers, however with a "Lifetime warranty" and a promise to your customer i feel this could and should have been handled a lot more professionally. Also possible center-lining would help eliminate the various responses from staff and keep consistency finding resolve.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh I am so sorry about this situation!!! James Allen's customer service has seriously gone downhill recently so sadly I'm not that surprised. Absolutely do not accept anything less than an AGS 000 of vs1 or better clarity, and a match (or better) incolor. They owe you a stone of equivalent value, not one that will be worth less due to lower clarity, worse cut, or lower color. Ugh I am so angry for you.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, so sorry to hear of your experience. This is really unacceptable. As @lovedogs said, you should absolutely not accept a replacement with lesser specs, which you already seem to have done.

Can you share the AGS report of the original stone? JA has made it practically impossible to search for good diamonds on their site but maybe we can still help you find a suitable replacement.

Alternatively, I would ask them for a full refund and take your business elsewhere.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This sucks! They told you to let them remove the diamond - which IS pretty standard when you are working with the same vendor who made the ring/sold you the diamond - and they admitted to causing the damage. Their insurance surely should cover replacing your diamond with like quality/specs or better. Settle for NOTHING less, if all you have stated is fact.

@YoungPapa might be able to help you, @Michael13 so I am tagging him in this post to call it out to him and hopefully help you get to a fair resolution. Good luck!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely agree with @SimoneDi that if JA can't or won't step up and do the right thing,demand your money back and spend it somewhere with better customer service.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
That sounds so shady and scammy. Tell the customer you chipped their diamond to re-sell and then offer a lesser quality stone all while filing an insurance claim? Very scandalous.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP, so sorry to hear of your experience. This is really unacceptable. As @lovedogs said, you should absolutely not accept a replacement with lesser specs, which you already seem to have done.

Can you share the AGS report of the original stone? JA has made it practically impossible to search for good diamonds on their site but maybe we can still help you find a suitable replacement.

Alternatively, I would ask them for a full refund and take your business elsewhere.

Agreed. Honestly, I’d immediately ask for full refund and go elsewhere. JA should never have done this. Don’t continue to waste your time. Go to WF or HPD which are entities that have great customer service.

Michael13

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, i really appreciate the support. This really made us feel alone.

I would prefer they correct the situation as the band and ring match quite well. Also with our wedding date soo close , ahh lol i mean dont even know where to begin to be honest or once again i should say. This is the type of purchase you do once. I did all the research and sleepless nights for an entire year before settling on JA's promise and product.

It is beginning to feel that way @Runningmama , i have been trying to give them the benefit of the doubt but the diamonds have not even been close to match my purchase.

You are all correct, they will melt the ring down, cut the diamond and resell it and also claim the loss with insurance as i have been told by several staff members. The thought of her Diamond(it is hers) on someone else literally made my Fiance vomit. it has not been a fun situation.

diamond cert.jpg

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is seriously bad behavior from James Allen and I’m sorry you’re dealing with it so close to the wedding. I hope you’re able to either get a better replacement or a full refund.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For what it's worth, WF sells super ideal princess cuts (AGS000), and has great customer service. I think I would be demanding my $ back and going elsewhere at this point. Because I just plainly no longer trust JA as a company.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing the report @Michael13. Ok. What I would do is propose this stone for a replacement: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.02-carat-j-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-5677358

It’s a color down but clarity up and larger. It seems like a beautiful and lively princess cut. Because of what they have made you go through and due to your fast approaching wedding, I would personally allow for zero room for negotiation.

ETA: These ones also seems to be suitable replacements: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.93-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-4389042
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.80-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-5677354

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh.
No wonder they’re having difficulty matching your stone.
Nice two chevron specimens are the rarest of princesses :(sad

Both the selections @SimoneDi highlighted look like very nice three-chevron choices - pending review of reports, that is, and damn JA and their concealment stupidities (yet again).

Michael13

Rough_Rock
Oh.
No wonder they’re having difficulty matching your stone.
Nice two chevron specimens are the rarest of princesses :(sad

Both the selections @SimoneDi highlighted look like very nice three-chevron choices - pending review of reports, that is, and damn JA and their concealment stupidities (yet again).

We love how the 2 chevron has sparkled and looks. I know exactly how it reflects light, every angle of that diamond. It is really unfortunate.

Has anyone ever had an experience like this ? Or know anyone who has gone through a similar situation ?

@SimoneDi thank you for search results, i really appreciate everyones input and support.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Michael,

I received your message via Linked-In and will reach back out so we can try and get on a call Monday. I'm confident that we'll be able to resolve this issue to your satisfaction - we're just having a really hard time finding a diamond that is exactly comparable to the diamond that was damaged.

To the forum: James Allen is a paid sponsor of Pricescope that has proved itself a reliable, trustworthy vendor with nearly 20 years of history. The recent insults directed at our customer service and our policies are unwarranted and unhelpful. We are a dedicated team of professionals that value our customers and the Pricescope community. I know you guys don't agree with some of our recent policy changes, but I would really appreciate it if you could temper some of the comments. Calling us scammy, shady, stupid, etc is not only inaccurate - it does nothing to help the OP, and is really demoralizing for my team (who read PS every day).

Thanks.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Michael,

I received your message via Linked-In and will reach back out so we can try and get on a call Monday. I'm confident that we'll be able to resolve this issue to your satisfaction - we're just having a really hard time finding a diamond that is exactly comparable to the diamond that was damaged.

To the forum: James Allen is a paid sponsor of Pricescope that has proved itself a reliable, trustworthy vendor with nearly 20 years of history. The recent insults directed at our customer service and our policies are unwarranted and unhelpful. We are a dedicated team of professionals that value our customers and the Pricescope community. I know you guys don't agree with some of our recent policy changes, but I would really appreciate it if you could temper some of the comments. Calling us scammy, shady, stupid, etc is not only inaccurate - it does nothing to help the OP, and is really demoralizing for my team (who read PS every day).

Thanks.

I'm sorry that your team finds the comments demoralizing, but your response doesn't explain any of the issues that op experienced. Saying you are "confident that this can be resolved" doesn't explain why op was offered non AGS 000 stones, and stones of a lower clarity. OP has experienced what I would consider extremely poor customer service, which is why people are recommending he cut his losses and go elsewhere.

From what I can see, JA has been making a series of decisions that are non customer service focused, and/or designed to force customers to sink extra time into asking about stones with the hope they will then purchase. I think those choices are bad ones.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks.

I tagged you to try and help @Michael13 which the first part of your post appears to attempt.

The second part, however, appears to be an attempt to stifle your customers’ opinions about JA on a consumer forum, many of which - from what I have read as well as my own experience - are first-hand experiences. It’s not an ‘insult’ to find some of JA’s policy changes shady; it’s an opinion, and it happens to be shared by several people. And if those opinions are demoralizing to the staff, then perhaps that is indicative that the policy changes are more negatively impactful than JA thought when they put them in place, and maybe they should be re-evaluated.

With all due respect, if you don’t like what you read about how people view your company and their customer experiences with your staff, perhaps consider the feedback & opinions that have been shared and use them to improve the things people have complained about. People probably wouldn’t come on PS and complain if they had a positive customer experience with your staff; they would praise JA. If the reps have so much time to be reading PS every day as you noted, perhaps therein lies a problem.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tagged you to try and help @Michael13 which the first part of your post appears to attempt.

The second part, however, appears to be an attempt to stifle your customers’ opinions about JA on a consumer forum, many of which - from what I have read as well as my own experience - are first-hand experiences. It’s not an ‘insult’ to find some of JA’s policy changes shady; it’s an opinion, and it happens to be shared by several people. And if those opinions are demoralizing to the staff, then perhaps that is indicative that the policy changes are more negatively impactful than JA thought when they put them in place, and maybe they should be re-evaluated.

With all due respect, if you don’t like what you read about how people view your company and their customer experiences with your staff, perhaps consider the feedback & opinions that have been shared and use them to improve the things people have complained about. People probably wouldn’t come on PS and complain if they had a positive customer experience with your staff; they would praise JA. If the reps have so much time to be reading PS every day as you noted, perhaps therein lies a problem.
This!!!!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Michael,

Thanks.

I haven't commented on this thread to date, and I tend to be fairly moderate in my opinions on this sort of thing.

In that spirit, let me suggest that the reason people are reacting to James Allen in such a negative way these days is that we feel we don't know you any more. Even further - we feel as tho we don't know who you are. The James Allen we KNEW had a trustworthy 20 year history and was regarded highly on this forum, and used accordingly. Who you are now - we don't know. But it doesn't seem to be impressing anyone so far.

Having been associated with large financial institutions for decades now, I've been able to watch the ethos behind successful companies become increasingly predatory over the years. It's the shareholder and the bottom line - not the customer - who rules these days, and the tone of many companies has changed accordingly. Personally, I'm seeing that way of doing business seep into JA's business model, and I find it very disappointing.

I'm guessing over the next year or two we'll see who JA is today. I hope it's an attractive picture of a great company and I wish you well. I can tell you for nothing, tho - you're not off to a good start, so if this is it, expect more of the same from your consumers.

I hope you can pull this situation out of the fire. You were a terrific company and I hope you will remain to be. In the spirit of that - I'm sending you high hopes for a bright future; if JA remains a customer-centered, ethical, hard-working, thorough and honest company, we all win. Kind regards to you, James, and all your members of staff.

Last edited:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks.

Every comment directed at your company thus far has been entirely warranted, and if you can’t see that then there’s the biggest problem of all. When your company destroys the property of a client by accident, then you owe it to him to offer a like or better replacement. By your own acknowledgment, your company has been unable to do that.

I’m embarrassed for you that rather than demonstrate any real leadership and maturity by acknowledging how you failed this customer and offering a full refund if he prefers, you chose to whine about how much the comments here hurt your staff’s feelings. You’re going to need to grow thicker skin and act with more integrity if you want to continue growing your business.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every comment directed at your company thus far has been entirely warranted, and if you can’t see that then there’s the biggest problem of all. When your company destroys the property of a client by accident, then you owe it to him to offer a like or better replacement. By your own acknowledgment, your company has been unable to do that.

I’m embarrassed for you that rather than demonstrate any real leadership and maturity by acknowledging how you failed this customer and offering a full refund if he prefers, you chose to whine about how much the comments here hurt your staff’s feelings. You’re going to need to grow thicker skin and act with more integrity if you want to continue growing your business.
Glad you said it! I wanted to use this emoji :boohoo::boohoo: but decided against it bc I didn't want to be overly mean. But happy someone else had the cajones to say what I was thinking! :)

Redsparrow

Rough_Rock
Hi I’m a recent and new user of Price scope and I’ve learned many things on this website. I like to read random threads and stumbled on this one.

I’ve never worked with JA before but after reading this story will never ever want to... Any big reputable company needs to take care of their customers in order to upkeep their name and business. His response to this has only made it worse. Such a shame to the OP, I can’t imagine how bad you feel but hope that they will make it right, after all this :( pls keep us updated w the issue.

And agree with @lovedogs HPD and John Pollard provide great customer service! I’m working with them right now and can’t rave enough

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Hi Michael,

Thanks.
It’s not OP’s problem that you cannot find a similar diamond and the way your company has responded IS shady. The fact that OP had to personally seek you out on LinkedIn to try and find a resolution speaks VOLUMES. I’d hope at this point you’d offer him nothing short of a full refund or a BETTER diamond than he currently has for the hassle he has experienced. If you don’t like your consumer feedback then change your practice instead of pointing fingers. If you haven’t noticed there is quite a bit of negative feedback about the downhill slope your company is perceived to be on. That’s on you, not the consumer.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My apologies to the OP, Michael, for thread jacking his post. I should not have glossed over his concerns publicly. I apologized to him personally, however, when we spoke this morning by phone, and I'm hopeful that he'll update this thread once we find a replacement diamond.

Seeing that aside, I'm not sure that I know this forum any better than you know me. Calling me a whiner and thin skinned is emblematic of the type of behaviour that I would not expect from this community. I respect the right of members to call us out when we make mistakes, but just don't understand the open hostility. We have sponsored this community for nearly 20 years, and yet I'm beginning to feel like we don't belong. If that sounds weak and self serving, so be it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My apologies to the OP, Michael, for thread jacking his post. I should not have glossed over his concerns publicly. I apologized to him personally, however, when we spoke this morning by phone, and I'm hopeful that he'll update this thread once we find a replacement diamond.

Seeing that aside, I'm not sure that I know this forum any better than you know me. Calling me a whiner and thin skinned is emblematic of the type of behaviour that I would not expect from this community. I respect the right of members to call us out when we make mistakes, but just don't understand the open hostility. We have sponsored this community for nearly 20 years, and yet I'm beginning to feel like we don't belong. If that sounds weak and self serving, so be it.

I don't comprehend how or why you insist on acting "victimized" here. Your company instituted customer unfriendly policies, we are calling you out for it, and yet you don't understand why we are angry. We are upset because of actions your company took. We didn't decide to hide certificates, or to not allow customers to see any info about fancy colored stones(can't even see mm size on those anymore). Your company made that choice, and it's a horrible one that erodes trust. Then stories like this happen. Your company is making horrible choices, and somehow you are unable to comprehend the issue and insist you are the wronged party. It's mind blowing.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It doesn’t sound weak and self serving; it sounds like denial. Let’s recap: JA changed its policies/processes, JA’s employees feel demoralized, and JA’s customers are unhappy and have broken diamonds ... but somehow it’s PS’s fault? :think:

What I find ironic is that when many of us told you months back that the change to remove lab reports was a bad decision, you said (something to the effect of) PSers weren’t representative of the majority of your customers; now, suddenly this forum’s members are blame-worthy of your company’s woes? PS/its members didn’t change JA’s business model; you/JA did that. And that’s your right since it’s your company, as it is the right of your (now-former) customers to think the new business model is shady and anti-transparent and that the customer service has declined - this thread is just one example.

Also, repeatedly reminding posters that you’re a “PS community sponsor” just adds to your reputation woes ... what you’re really conveying with that statement is that because you’re a sponsor you shouldn’t be on the receiving end of criticism when it’s warranted, or that you’re somehow ‘above’ offering reasonable customer service. There are other PS Trade members who support this site/community as well who have had a couple unhappy customers, and I don’t remember any of them ever coming on here and dismissing members’ experiences & opinions like you have; rather, they focus on the customer and making it right, no matter what. That’s why they continue to be recommended, and this thread and OP’s experience is an example of why JA is not.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I can see, JA has been making a series of decisions that are non customer service focused, and/or designed to force customers to sink extra time into asking about stones with the hope they will then purchase. I think those choices are bad ones.

Jim,

This is what is at the heart of the recent antagonism your policies are facing.

They aren’t customer-friendly.
They’re designed to prevent your customers from enabling themselves.
They’re designed to prevent your customers from advocating for themselves.

PS is focused on increasing customer education and improving industry transparency. Your policy changes are a huge step backward. And you aren’t a small vendor - when a company like yours, large and established and successful, decides to put corporate interests over community interests... other smaller and less-established vendors will look to your practices for inspiration.

Your policy changes aim to be self-serving and they come at the expense of the community you supported for so many years. You explicitly stated in one of the earlier threads on this subject that you were fully aware that these changes weren’t PSer-friendly, and that this was a concession you were perfectly comfortable with.

If we PSers have been overtly downgraded in your estimation of target audience, why would you expect any less in return?

Last edited:

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock

If I were in your position I would stop talking if I had no intention of learning from my mistakes. You’re really only hurting yourself here and your responses are cringe-worthy at this point. Just fix this for the OP instead of telling us you feeling certain you’ll reach a resolution when you’ve already said you can’t find a similar diamond. Then maybe find a PR person to help you save some face because this is clearly not going well for you or your company. No one cares about that carrot you’re dangling by pointing out your sponsorship. This was just gross to read.

Last edited:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

No, I think this group is over stepping. Mrs B, as usual, has the right attitude. James Allen has given 20 yrs of good customer service, and contrary to comments made, has responded quickly and personally to complaints about CS. Alright, you don't like his new policies, but have the decency to treat the man with the respect he deserves. 20 yrs-- come-on people.

Mrs B. is right about businesses today. I am sure that Jim made a good bundle, along with his partners and investors when he sold his business. He has retained control, but made changes. He said if they don't work, he will put back those policies he changed. I do not know why these changes came about--new ownership usually brings changes. But, you don't act like he has committed a crime and should be banished.

I feel for this lovely young man, Michael. I think he is the perfect fellow to get proper help. They love the diamond and bands. He was such a happy customer. My heart was actually sad for this nice couple. I am quite sure Jim will make it right.

I wish Michael a wonderful wedding day with a sparkling new diamond. Good Luck.

Annette

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results