shape
carat
color
clarity

Jadeite Cabochon from Wildfish

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

In order to celebrate passing my qualifying exam an advancing to candidacy, I decided go shopping. I purchased a jadeite cabochon from Ed at wildfishgems. I'm not sure how I'll set it yet, so for now my cab will be sitting in a box in a cabinet, when I'm not taking it out to look at.

Jadeite Oval Single Cabochon
1.87 carat
Natural, unheated and untreated, certed by AIGS
Dimensions: 9.4 x 7.36 x 3.08 mm

According to Ed, the stone is described as a bright grass green. I didn't really find it that way, and thought that it was more creamy and pale than I picture grass to be. But I still liked the stone quite a bit. Ed was quite quick to answer any questions that I had.

[ETA]: But I have to say that the cabochon is way more green than my pictures. But a little creamier and paler than Ed's pictures. Somewhere in between. I guess my camera just doesn't pick up the greens so well. Hm

But first, here are the vendor pictures:

choyoyojd187composite.jpg

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
Hiding behind a plastic window:

choyoyoIMG_0807.jpg

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
Looking a little darker:

choyoyoIMG_0811.jpg

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
You can see how translucent it actually is here

choyoyoIMG_0814.jpg

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
On my hand.

choyoyoIMG_0816.jpg

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
north south

choyoyoIMG_0823.jpg

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
east west

choyoyoIMG_0824.jpg

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
And just for fun, here''s a jadeite pendant of mine:

choyoyoIMG_0883.jpg

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
You can tell that it is translucent, but definitely not transparent.

choyoyoIMG_0884.jpg

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
Last one. You can see just how transparent the new cab is. Good times.

choyoyoIMG_0886.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s lovely!

I''m a big fan of jadeite and have a few pieces myself, my moss-in-snow translucent bangle never leaves my wrist, lol. Let us know when you settle on a setting, and congrats on the new cab and on passing the exam!

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
Thank you MTG!

I''m always a little disappointed that jade doesn''t get more love on this forum. I''m actually considering setting it in a little pendant, as I would probably wear it more frequently in that form than a ring!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/19/2009 9:34:58 PM
Author: choyoyo
Thank you MTG!

I''m always a little disappointed that jade doesn''t get more love on this forum. I''m actually considering setting it in a little pendant, as I would probably wear it more frequently in that form than a ring!

A pendant would be nice, although I personally prefer jadeite carvings as pendants (because I love them and can''t wear them as rings, lol). I always try really hard to save my jadeite buying for when I''m back home in China though, where the jadeite market is MUCH bigger (and less expensive). I think the cab market in general isn''t huge on Pricescope, the majority are faceted stones.

Here''s a pic on my bangle which I love and wear all the time. I think it''s funny that jade is considered a "soft" stone here, but people in china wear jadeite as rings and bangles on a daily basis.
jadeitebangle.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this jadeite ring is so beautiful, I would love to recreate it, but I really don''t like to wear blingy things (though I do like to look at them!)

jadeite.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I know nothing about Jadeite, but that cab is a beautiful color!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 10:03:56 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I think this jadeite ring is so beautiful, I would love to recreate it, but I really don''t like to wear blingy things (though I do like to look at them!)
Hi MTG

Yes it''s beautiful in the photos, I posted this ring a couple of weeks back, I like this ring too but I am not sure about the vendor, so won''t be purchasing from them, too risky.

Other than that I don''t think it''s too blingy at all and if you can get a reputable vendor to recreate something similar, I think it''ll look gorgeous.
9.gif

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 10:02:26 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

A pendant would be nice, although I personally prefer jadeite carvings as pendants (because I love them and can't wear them as rings, lol). I always try really hard to save my jadeite buying for when I'm back home in China though, where the jadeite market is MUCH bigger (and less expensive). I think the cab market in general isn't huge on Pricescope, the majority are faceted stones.

Here's a pic on my bangle which I love and wear all the time. I think it's funny that jade is considered a 'soft' stone here, but people in china wear jadeite as rings and bangles on a daily basis.

jadeitebangle.JPG

Hey MTG,

Beautiful bangle!
30.gif

I'm not so much into carvings, though I think they look nice. Dealing with the china market is a headache for me, just because I don't like to bargain and so many don't have certs that I'd trust. I leave that to my aunties :p Do you have any recommended vendors?

It IS funny that jade is considered a stone for just occasional wear- I think people highly underestimate toughness here when they talk about wearable stones. It's all about hardness here :). My grandma has been wearing her jade wedding ring for...what, 60 years? And it's perfectly fine. And she does not baby her ring to my knowledge
28.gif

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 11:31:44 PM
Author: innerkitten
I know nothing about Jadeite, but that cab is a beautiful color!

Thanks Innerkitten!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous color, I love it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like that stone. It just looks so serene to me!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
choyoyo- It''s lovely! Fresh green. I think jadeite just is not well-known in the US.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha,yeah, when I go to China, I always go jadeite shopping with my aunt who is an obsessed collector. She helped me pick out and buy my bangle. It''s funny, all the vendors there know her since she goes so often. But you''re right, there''s a lot of haggling and stuff involved, and it can be a tricky place to navigate.

Hehe, I love watching people inspect jade by hitting it with stuff to listen to the sound, running their teeth across it (ew), putting it over a lighter...lol. It''s funny how many ways they have to "test" real jadeite.

Next time I go back I''m going to look for some white and green cabs.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful cab! Congrats!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Lovely color and a nice cab. Congratulations!
36.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that is a beautiful jadeite. I love the color though I''m sure its even more beautiful in real life!

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
Linda, TGal, icekid, cinnamon, Fly Girl, D&T, thank you for your comments.
1.gif
I do think that the cab has a very serene look. I love it!

MTG- That stone is gorgeous and glowy! I get what you mean about blingy things- I also like to look at them, but it''s just not my style to wear them. White and green cabs would be amazing! Moss in snow is my favorite for sure :D When you get them, please share photos!
31.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love jadeite and find it so difficult to find a good selection in the US. It's a very pretty piece but lighter and creamier in your picture compared to Ed's. The translucency is lovely though.

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono,

Thank you for the compliments. I did note that it is definitely lighter and creamier than his pictures. I''m okay with that. I must admit though- for some reason my web uploaded pictures display MANY shades lighter than what the actual color looks like, even comparing to the original reduced file on my desktop, side by side. Exact same file, pre and post upload. Anyone know why that is happening?

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
Here's a screen crapture of my web browser and an open cropped image. And looking at the stone right now, it's more green than the right picture, and there is no dark striation in the center. Strange huh?

choyoyoIMG_0823sidebyside.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
choyoyo,
Congratulations on your achievement! Oh, and that''s one pretty piece of jade you have there.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results