shape
carat
color
clarity

Jaded but Looking Forward Need Help

crans223

Rough_Rock
danielxlin|1429194930|3862895 said:
Oh no, not another mall jeweler! Repeating the same mistake.

Oh they are? lol I didn't know funny you said that, I just looked on http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.100-i-si1-round-diamond-gia-57468613 and found pretty much the same diamond for much less money. I'm going to stop doing this crap and just look online to meet the vendors recommended on here instead of getting ripped off by these mall jewelers.

Thank you lol you literally responded as I realized my mistake at even looking there.

crans223

Rough_Rock
Could anyone recommend any jewelers in the Wayne / Wanaque / Elizabeth, NJ area? I'm going to probably head to the city this weekend to check out the places on here that are listed under the vendors but wanted to see what else everyone else thought so I don't make the mistake of doing the mall jeweler fiasco again.

Are diamond exchanges no good? My friend got his there, but I have heard mixed reviews about a few of them and I don't want to waste my time if you guys think otherwise.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
cranshinibon|1429195109|3862898 said:

Oh they are? lol I didn't know funny you said that, I just looked on http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.100-i-si1-round-diamond-gia-57468613 and found pretty much the same diamond for much less money. I'm going to stop doing this crap and just look online to meet the vendors recommended on here instead of getting ripped off by these mall jewelers.

Thank you lol you literally responded as I realized my mistake at even looking there.

This is a 'virtual inventory' stone. That means that many other vendors may have the same stone for sale, and that BGD does not actually own the stone. It may be sitting in India, at the moment.

If you're looking at BGD or Whiteflash, I would avoid the Virtual Inventory, as that is not where these vendors shine.

By sticking with one of their in-house stones, you will be certain you get the quality you are after, without any of the guess work.

It doesn't get much better, in terms of quality and precision, than the Signature stones from BGD.

If you can somehow make it to Long Island (not an East Coast guy, so I don't know how feasible this is), Good Old Gold is a great vendor that has a storefront. They will get you properly set-up, if you are looking to view in-person.

crans223

Rough_Rock
RockyRacoon|1429197093|3862915 said:

This is a 'virtual inventory' stone. That means that many other vendors may have the same stone for sale, and that BGD does not actually own the stone. It may be sitting in India, at the moment.

If you're looking at BGD or Whiteflash, I would avoid the Virtual Inventory, as that is not where these vendors shine.

By sticking with one of their in-house stones, you will be certain you get the quality you are after, without any of the guess work.

It doesn't get much better, in terms of quality and precision, than the Signature stones from BGD.

If you can somehow make it to Long Island (not an East Coast guy, so I don't know how feasible this is), Good Old Gold is a great vendor that has a storefront. They will get you properly set-up, if you are looking to view in-person.

I really love their signature diamonds, but to get the 1.1 ish range would definitely put me out of my price range by about $1-1.5k just for the diamond alone. I want to check in with GOG, as they're about an hour and a half (without traffic) drive from me.

My friend wants to take me to the diamond exchange he went to when he purchased his diamond. (Figured if you guys could see what he spent, you could see if they place feels fairly priced for the quality of the diamond before I even go there)

He spent about $9,500 for the following:
2wnsi1c.png

o5dp1h.png

Carat: 1.33
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Color: I
Clarity: SI1
Fluorescence: Faint
GIA Graded

Setting: 18k White gold with diamonds (total weight for banded diamonds = .5 ct VS2 Clarity, G color)

misa1214

Rough_Rock
cranshinibon|1429192412|3862871 said:
misa1214|1429135978|3862525 said:
How about this 1.11 ct I VS1 (HCA 1.6)?

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5098702...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

My boyfriend and I were weary buying from an online vendor stone unseen, but we decided on a 1.2 CT K VS2 (gia 3X #1199099777) from B2C a couple weeks ago and it's incredible. Faces up white, eye clean and it sparkles like crazy!!!

That diamond looks great based on the specs, but it's a shame they don't have a real picture or that I can't see it in person. Being a newbie, I definitely want to see it in person first and foremost because I want to see how it pairs up to my expectations for the shine and sparkle it has in the sunlight. I'm looking to do the big question at sunset so I really want to make sure it will sparkle at that time as well as during the day.

Yeah, I totally get it. We took a gamble and luckily it paid off. Looking through the Ritani website, I came across this 1.07ct I VS1 stone

https://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-1-07-Carat-I-color-GIA-certified/D-9Y37MF

You could do a free in-store preview at one of their partner stores nearby your home.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
cranshinibon|1429201244|3862965 said:
RockyRacoon|1429197093|3862915 said:

I really love their signature diamonds, but to get the 1.1 ish range would definitely put me out of my price range by about $1-1.5k just for the diamond alone. I want to check in with GOG, as they're about an hour and a half (without traffic) drive from me.

My friend wants to take me to the diamond exchange he went to when he purchased his diamond. (Figured if you guys could see what he spent, you could see if they place feels fairly priced for the quality of the diamond before I even go there)

He spent about $9,500 for the following:

Carat: 1.33
Cut: Excellent
Color: I
Clarity: SI1
Fluorescence: Faint
GIA Graded

Setting: 18k White gold with diamonds (total weight for banded diamonds = .5 ct VS2 Clarity, G color)

It will be worth your drive to GOG. If you find something you like, you can always have them mail it to you, to avoid sales tax.

I am not familiar about this particular 'diamond exchange,' but these are generally not places that offer the best quality/pricing. Usually they sell to consumers who are less educated about cut and GIA/AGS grading.

That being said, I cannot speak to the specific diamond exchange you've mentioned.

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
cranshinibon|1429195717|3862905 said:
Could anyone recommend any jewelers in the Wayne / Wanaque / Elizabeth, NJ area? I'm going to probably head to the city this weekend to check out the places on here that are listed under the vendors but wanted to see what else everyone else thought so I don't make the mistake of doing the mall jeweler fiasco again.

Are diamond exchanges no good? My friend got his there, but I have heard mixed reviews about a few of them and I don't want to waste my time if you guys think otherwise.

IDJ is closed on Saturday, like most of the NYC jewelry district, but open on Sunday from 10am to 3pm.

Good Old Gold is open on Saturday but closed on Sunday.

I'm biased because I've bought stud earrings, wedding band, and anniversary ring at IDJ. I very highly doubt any other dealer beats them out in the budget bracket. Do call Yuketiel ahead of time. Let him know what you're looking for. Mention Pricescope quality, approximate size of diamond, GIA triple Ex etc, and he will have some GIA certified stones ready for you. GOG has unbeatable specialities in cushion cut diamonds, and old European cut rounds.

Don't worry about transporting the diamond. You're probably going to want to ship the diamond back to Jersey anyway to avoid the substantial NYC sales tax.

crans223

Rough_Rock
UPDATE: I went to a diamond exchange in Elizabeth, NJ and am finally on a better track. They were slightly overpriced but one out of the 15 places there was actually worth my time where a guy who was imo a little arrogant (my friend says confident) finally knew what I was talking about.

Went through the hassle of one woman calling back and forth with her husband on the phone. After getting screwed over once I'm wary of all of these crappy tactics and I know what I want. I told each person this exactly:

"I want between 1 and 1.2 carats, no bigger with VS1 or VS2 quality, and nothing lower than SI1 or I don't even want to see it, for color I can go I or better, but am willing to go as high as G or H, maybe F for the right price. The cut, polish, symmetry need to be excellent and certified by GIA or ideal and certified by AGS and I don't want to see any diamonds that don't have a certification or anything outside of GIA or AGS and I have a preference towards an approximate 60% table proportion with my budget for the diamond around $6500."

The first lady showed me an SI3 right off the bat, without me asking for that and as she opened the sleeve it was kept in, I said "No, I'm sorry I said nothing lower than SI1, I don't care about looking at anything else with lower clarity and I don't want to go lower than 1 or higher than 1.3" after a while she kept showing me diamonds that weren't the exact specifications I was looking for (showing me a 1.6 or a 1.5 etc). The cream of the crop for this woman was I asked for what the cut, polish and symmetry were graded at and I wanted to see the certification, she said it was a "round cut" ugh....then she proceeded to show me the cert for a 1.01 when I asked to see the one for the 1.1. I thanked her for the time and went to another stand.

The guy seemed more knowledgeable but had an arrogant air about him but he was polite so I didn't care. They got their diamonds from their other location in the NYC Diamond District so I had some high hopes. As of right now they're still a bit higher than I want but I wanted to see what you guys think of these two diamonds he showed me and what you think I could do for wiggle room, I asked him what he could do to better the deal if I paid most in cash.

Diamond 1:

Measurements: 6.69 - 6.72 x 4.03mm
Carat: 1.10
Color: H
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut/Polish/Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

Price of Diamond: $7,100 - guy said he could wiggle and give me $7,000 for the diamond plus band and setting. Still seemed a bit high, but I wanted to see what you guys think (note, he still has to get the diamond to their location so I want to make sure I don't even waste my time driving back if it's a crap deal)

2_209.jpg

Diamond 2:
Measurements: 6.69 - 6.71 x 4.19mm
Carat: 1.17
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut/Polish/Symmetry: Excellent

Price of Diamond+Ring / Setting = $7,500

1_375.jpg

misa1214

Rough_Rock
I found Diamond #2 is listed on Enchanted Diamonds with photo and video. See link below

Diamond 2:
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R117-91ZFUG

I don't know the retail cost of the setting they are offering you but Blue Nile and B2C have diamond #2 listed at a lower price as well.

crans223

Rough_Rock
misa1214|1429284199|3863529 said:
I found Diamond #2 is listed on Enchanted Diamonds with photo and video. See link below

Diamond 2:
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R117-91ZFUG

I don't know the retail cost of the setting they are offering you but Blue Nile and B2C have diamond #2 listed at a lower price as well.

Oh wow, thank you, I can't believe you found the exact one! lol I know it's a VS2 but is the inclusion right in the middle something of a lower quality VS2 or is that a good choice for a diamond based on what I want. I will probably go with that company instead since at least I know what it looks like and the guy could have gotten it in person to see it. (Online rules lol)

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
Careful with the setting. Get a look at it before the diamond is set. Even a simple 6-prong solitaire setting has wide ranges of quality, from unsafe to sublime.

Brian Gavin sets a benchmark with its 14k 6 prong Tiffany style setting for $325.

Maybe bump up to 18k.

crans223

Rough_Rock
danielxlin|1429291395|3863593 said:
Careful with the setting. Get a look at it before the diamond is set. Even a simple 6-prong solitaire setting has wide ranges of quality, from unsafe to sublime.

Brian Gavin sets a benchmark with its 14k 6 prong Tiffany style setting for $325.

Maybe bump up to 18k.

I'm negotiating with the guy now on price because he sent me another ring which I matched the GIA cert to on this other website: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6831309-1.14-carat-Round-diamond-H-color-VS1-clarity.aspx

I told him I'm willing to put more than half down with cash but his opening price was $7200 for the diamond and $300 for the setting, leaving me with a total of $7,500 (500-1k over my original budget)

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
If you've settled on the diamond you want I still recommend calling IDJ, telling them the GIA # of stone you want, and getting a quote. I'd be very surprised if they didn't beat $7k.

IDJ has excellent setters and you definitely won't get a junky quality 6-prong setting.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd also get away from asking for a 60/60 diamond. I personally think stones with smaller tables and higher crowns look better than ones with larger spread. It's not like your intended is going to be measuring the mms.

I think it's great that you got to the point of having the criteria you have, but the next best step is finding a good vendor. I second both Gold old Gold and IDjewelry, from what I've read about the quality of their products, customer service, AND competitive pricing. You are lucky that you are searching for a round brilliant. I can understand wanting to judge in person as well. I think it is a worthwhile to check either or both of these out before you make a decision.

crans223

Rough_Rock
I am looking on Thursday at a better possibility within my price range but I was curious, do you guys have any recommendation for somewhere in NYC in the diamond district?

My friend is convinced I will get $2k cheaper in price for any diamond by going there, but I am a bit weary on that since they probably don't have certificates. I just figured i'd check in to see if anyone could confirm or deny this before I waste taking a day off of work and spending the money on parking / tolls etc to go into the city .

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
cranshinibon|1429625056|3865285 said:
I am looking on Thursday at a better possibility within my price range but I was curious, do you guys have any recommendation for somewhere in NYC in the diamond district?

My friend is convinced I will get $2k cheaper in price for any diamond by going there, but I am a bit weary on that since they probably don't have certificates. I just figured i'd check in to see if anyone could confirm or deny this before I waste taking a day off of work and spending the money on parking / tolls etc to go into the city .

Mark at Engagement Rings Direct and Yuketiel at ID Jewelry are both located in the Diamond District. But upstairs in the building offices (call first to let them know what you're interested in) not in the street level shops. Both of them can call up a lot of the GIA stones you're interested in.

Beware of the street level shops selling EGL, IGI or other alphabet soup diamonds.

You won't save $2K on a GIA rated diamond. It's a competitive market. Yekutiel MAY be save you a couple hundred bucks over your Jersey guy, but he will definitely help you choose well among the large amount of GIA diamonds available on the market.

crans223

Rough_Rock
danielxlin|1429630657|3865326 said:
cranshinibon|1429625056|3865285 said:

Mark at Engagement Rings Direct and Yuketiel at ID Jewelry are both located in the Diamond District. But upstairs in the building offices (call first to let them know what you're interested in) not in the street level shops. Both of them can call up a lot of the GIA stones you're interested in.

Beware of the street level shops selling EGL, IGI or other alphabet soup diamonds.

You won't save $2K on a GIA rated diamond. It's a competitive market. Yekutiel MAY be save you a couple hundred bucks over your Jersey guy, but he will definitely help you choose well among the large amount of GIA diamonds available on the market.

Thanks daniel (as always lol) I contacted Yekutiel just now and I said I spoke with you from here and he said he'll look at what I'm looking for and find me something to look at when I come in next week. Thanks again! :)

crans223

Rough_Rock
UPDATE:

After talking with Yekutiel on the phone he is pulling a few diamonds aside for me, but I have a good vibe about it. He's the first person to know what the HCA is lol.

Wanted to see everyone's input on this diamond for the price he gave me:

Carat: 1.11
Clarity: VS2
Cut: Excellent (Ideal)

Measurements: 6.63 - 6.65 x 4.09mm
Depth% 61.6
Table - 56
Crown Angle - 33.0
Crown Height - 14.5
Pavilion Angle - 41.0
Pavilion Depth - 43.0
Girdle - Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted 4.0%
Culet - Very Small

HCA Score: 0.7
Light Return - Excellent
Scintillation - Excellent
Fire - Excellent
Spread - Very Good

Price: $6,600.00 (He said he's still negotiating)

GIA: 2187401961 (http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?rep...ename=GIA/Dispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547)

jf9dmu.jpg

23sd7wk.jpg

crans223

Rough_Rock
bump to see if this deal is too good to be true lol

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
HCA is good. GIA triple excellent is good. H color is a good place to find value.

Price is good. If you search for the 1.10 to 1.11 carat H, VS2, Excellent Cut, on James Allen, there are 19 diamonds available. 18 of them are more expensive than $6600 (ranging from $6830 to $8840). There's one diamond with those specs that is cheaper at $6490. So you're near the very bottom of the price range.

Once the diamond comes in to IDJ get photos and/or video. Have Yuketiel get you a range of diamonds so you can compare and contrast. For that same $6600 I wonder if there's an eyeclean H/SI1 at a slightly higher carat weight? Also compare with an F or G color, see if you are sensitive to color.

crans223

Rough_Rock
danielxlin|1429676862|3865666 said:
HCA is good. GIA triple excellent is good. H color is a good place to find value.

Price is good. If you search for the 1.10 to 1.11 carat H, VS2, Excellent Cut, on James Allen, there are 19 diamonds available. 18 of them are more expensive than $6600 (ranging from $6830 to $8840). There's one diamond with those specs that is cheaper at $6490. So you're near the very bottom of the price range.

Once the diamond comes in to IDJ get photos and/or video. Have Yuketiel get you a range of diamonds so you can compare and contrast. For that same $6600 I wonder if there's an eyeclean H/SI1 at a slightly higher carat weight? Also compare with an F or G color, see if you are sensitive to color.

He actually had this one in stock. I figured the H would be a reasonable color that would allow me to stick to my budget but i'd like to see how it compares to F or G side by side. I will send him an e-mail in the morning and ask for something with similar specs but as SI1 eye clean compared to the VS2 (only asked for VS2 because I was almost assured for an eye clean diamond).

i'm actually really excited to see what he has next week, but I don't want to ask to bring in too many or not ask for something ahead of time that could be right up my alley. Yuketiel said this one was ideal cut, which is awesome, but only thing I'm concerned on about SI1 is getting the same brilliance and being eye clean as a VS2 like this one. Not sure what i should ask for exactly.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
H/VS2 is a sweet spot for many PSers and the specs look very good. If you'd like to be more conservative with your budget, ask if Yekutiel has eye-clean I color stones. IDJ is great, they won't steer you wrong, so go in and see which color works for your budget and your eyes.

crans223

Rough_Rock
baby monster|1429715281|3865855 said:
H/VS2 is a sweet spot for many PSers and the specs look very good. If you'd like to be more conservative with your budget, ask if Yekutiel has eye-clean I color stones. IDJ is great, they won't steer you wrong, so go in and see which color works for your budget and your eyes.

I love the H / VS2 quality and value (especially for knowing it's as near perfect as I can get it outside of being eye clean only lol) I asked him about puling a few slightly larger carats with similar specs and HCA scores that may be SI1 and eye clean instead to compare.

It's funny, the guy at work is saying that if I go to someone in the diamond district elsewhere and it may not have a certification but looks awesome for way less money I should go with it. I really don't think I'm going to go that route and trust the referrals and reviews on Yekutiel and ID Jewelry.

Has anyone had a stone set for them there? I wasn't sure if I would have to go back to pick it up or if they could do it same day.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cranshinibon|1429724998|3865948 said:

I love the H / VS2 quality and value (especially for knowing it's as near perfect as I can get it outside of being eye clean only lol) I asked him about puling a few slightly larger carats with similar specs and HCA scores that may be SI1 and eye clean instead to compare.

It's funny, the guy at work is saying that if I go to someone in the diamond district elsewhere and it may not have a certification but looks awesome for way less money I should go with it. I really don't think I'm going to go that route and trust the referrals and reviews on Yekutiel and ID Jewelry.

Has anyone had a stone set for them there? I wasn't sure if I would have to go back to pick it up or if they could do it same day.

Stick to IDJ you will not be disappointed... do a search on here and check all their great feedback... that's a lovely diamond he found for you.

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
I've come to the conclusion that a large number of the non-certified or alphabet soup certified stones floating around the diamond district would actually be rated I1 by GIA. That's the process dealers use. If GIA won't give a diamond they own anything better than an I1, then they'll send it to EGL (or whoever) who will give it an SI1 or better. Dirty business.

I doubt IDJ will set your stone that same day. Maybe if you tell them it's absolutely necessary, and if you come in very early in the day.

And don't you want them to mail the completed ring to Jersey, in order to save NYC sales tax? It's a chunk of money.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

People have all sorts of odd thoughts about buying diamonds. Why would you spend thousands of dollars on a cat in the bag? GIA fees are listed here http://www.gia.edu/gem-lab-fee-schedule If a cert for 1-1.5ct diamond cost a vendor $105 and couple months cost of capital while stone is at the lab, why would the vendor give up thousands of dollars in profit? Those stone are cheaper because they wouldn't get the GIA grading the store is attempting to sell them at.

Lots of PSers had stones set by IDJ and it's possible to get it done same day if you're going in early during workweek. Sunday might be tough but ask Yekutiel. I'd recommend having IDJ set the stone there for you and they have lots of settings on display.

crans223

Rough_Rock
baby monster|1429727444|3865968 said:

People have all sorts of odd thoughts about buying diamonds. Why would you spend thousands of dollars on a cat in the bag? GIA fees are listed here http://www.gia.edu/gem-lab-fee-schedule If a cert for 1-1.5ct diamond cost a vendor $105 and couple months cost of capital while stone is at the lab, why would the vendor give up thousands of dollars in profit? Those stone are cheaper because they wouldn't get the GIA grading the store is attempting to sell them at.

Lots of PSers had stones set by IDJ and it's possible to get it done same day if you're going in early during workweek. Sunday might be tough but ask Yekutiel. I'd recommend having IDJ set the stone there for you and they have lots of settings on display.

That's what I figured as well. I have seen more unreputable resalers trying to pawn off the low end certifications for a huge profit, and couldn't even imagine how bad it would be if they didn't even have a certification. My thought on it would be they would sell crappy diamonds way over their resale value, but at a lower price that other competitors, which I'm not interested in. Plus I like the fact that ID can help me out if there is any problem with damage or ring repair, whereas others won't even give me a second look.

I will be going in on Wednesday next week, and I can't wait to see the diamonds. It will be the final place I look before deciding on a diamond, and I have a good feeling it will be the place I decide on. Hopefully they can set it that day, so I can bring it home and hide it without having to worry about picking it up again.

Anyone ever hear of the ring box that records? Lol this is something I'm looking into but it seems kinda cheesey

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results