shape
carat
color
clarity

JA Preset Lab Pendants

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Since getting my JA lab studs I've been thinking about a lab pendant. I just noticed that JA has preset lab pendant options now, when I believe they did not the last time I looked (maybe a couple months ago?).

Not too impressed with the prices though, even at 25% off it's $1,380 for a 0.75ct stone in 14k setting with chain. Blue Nile is selling Lightbox stones in 14k at 1ctw for $1150 not on sale. Direct at LB a 0.75ctw pendant is $700 but in sterling. All comes down to cut quality of course. At those sizes maybe it makes the most sense to pick your own stone.

Does anyone have thoughts or experience on lab pendants? Was hoping there might be some Black Friday sales to take advantage of.

Pearl19

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have thoughts or experience on lab pendants? Was hoping there might be some Black Friday sales to take advantage of.

I'm awaiting a cushion cut 1 carat lab pendant from Lightbox, it should arrive this week.

I own a 0.85 carat lab stone in a bezel set pendant, 18k yellow gold, made by Kimai in Antwerp. It's stunning but it was much more expensive than JA.

I think you'd be fine with JA or Lightbox, there are very good reports (and photos) of Lightbox pendants in the 'photos of Lightbox jewellery' thread.

Pearl19

Shiny_Rock
DHL have updated the delivery to today - so if it is actually delivered today (DHL are notoriously bad) I'll report back as soon as it's in my hands.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
DHL have updated the delivery to today - so if it is actually delivered today (DHL are notoriously bad) I'll report back as soon as it's in my hands.

Awesome, can't wait to hear what you think!

Pearl19

Shiny_Rock
The necklace has arrived, I’m pleased to say. My first impression is regarding the Lightbox packaging. I understand that DeBeers will want to differentiate its very expensive premium line from its lab grown line, but this necklace cost me the best part of £1000 and was packaged in a cheap little cardboard box. This really isn’t good enough and would prohibit me from ordering their items as gifts.

It came with a gift receipt, which is a basic description of the item - there are no specifics regarding cut, clarity or colour but there is a separate information card stating that all of their lab grown diamonds are within certain parameters.

As I mentioned earlier, this is a one carat cushion cut diamond. I’ve never had a cushion cut stone before and I’m well aware that the general advice is never to buy a cushion unseen, because they are all different and personal taste plays a big part. I have no idea how to assess a cushion cut diamond, beyond saying whether I like it or not. This is a pretty stone though, it appears to be G in colour (when held next to a D coloured round brilliant). A cursory examination with a loupe reveals it to be extremely clean, I couldn’t see any inclusions nor could I see the Lightbox inscription which I think is supposed to be under the table somewhere.

As expected, it does face up smaller than the one carat round I’m comparing it to. Measuring with electronic calipers reveals it’s 5.5 mm across, 6.35 mm on the long axis (point-to-point). This appears to align with the cushion cut 1 carat dimensions I found online, although there seems to be quite a bit of variance. It’s actually a lovely size for everyday use - I would happily wear this to go out walking or jogging, whereas I would feel self-conscious running errands wearing a 1 carat round.

It’s set in 10 carat white gold which appears to be nicely worked and good quality. The pendant sits beautifully on the neck. Unlike my other diamond solitaires it doesn’t fall forwards onto its face (that really annoys me with some of my other necklaces). I will say however that the chain is extremely delicate, measuring approximately 0.75 mm in thickness. I would have preferred a 1 mm chain, which is what I have on my other diamond pendants.

The diamond is very sparkly, but the sparkle is much softer than a round brilliant. It’s going to take me a little time to get used to it.

I’ll take photos tomorrow for the Lightbox thread, including some with it next to the round stones I’ve just mentioned.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your really thorough review! I've never actually seen a cushion in person so wouldn't know how to evaluate, but it looks lovely to my eye. I've read similar comments from others regarding the packaging.

Pearl19

Shiny_Rock
Having examined the diamond now in daylight, it's even more sparkly than I thought. It's a bolder kind of sparkle, less spikey than a round brilliant. Not less sparkly by any means, just more glacial. I think I'll get a lot of wear out of this necklace.

I'm now wanting one of Lightbox's pink diamonds - I'm on a slippery slope!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results