shape
carat
color
clarity

J color vs K color big difference?

cluk56

Rough_Rock
Is it true J color won't notice the yellowish and K color is much more noticeable yellowish color?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can see the difference between j and k. K is more noticeable to the untrained eye IMO.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AS a rule, the difference in color is incremental( very slight)- but there are a lot of variables.
For example- the cut makes a big difference.
And variances in individual stones can be great- even two accurately graded J colors can look a lot different from each other.

Fluorescence can also play a role, and make a J or K look very white.

Then we need to consider an individual's sensitivity to color- some folks have a much easier time seeing a tint in stones.

MarkBroumand

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1291927269|2792372 said:
AS a rule, the difference in color is incremental( very slight)- but there are a lot of variables.
For example- the cut makes a big difference.
And variances in individual stones can be great- even two accurately graded J colors can look a lot different from each other.

Fluorescence can also play a role, and make a J or K look very white.

Then we need to consider an individual's sensitivity to color- some folks have a much easier time seeing a tint in stones.

If you look at the color grading scale, J ends the rare white category while K begins the slightly tinted white. However, as RD mentioned above the difference between each letter is a slight increment and allllll those factors will play a part in what one will actually see for themselves.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Obvious difference in 2ct+.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think there's a big difference. But personally I like the warm colors so it's fine with me. If you want a colorless diamond, don't go below an H, maybe an I.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I don't care about "white" and "tint" but if I did I would choose a J and not K. I agree with Sara. I think that maybe I and G-H are a good compromise for people who care about color. J is kind of in the middle for me but no, not K.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1291958255|2792907 said:
I don't care about "white" and "tint" but if I did I would choose a J and not K. I agree with Sara. I think that maybe I and G-H are a good compromise for people who care about that. J is kind of in the middle for me but no, not K.

+1

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It all depends.

First, there is the question on which lab graded both colours. A J from a 'softer' lab might have more body-colour than a K from a 'stricter' lab.

Even if both stones are graded by the same lab, it depends on where on the scale the J and the K are. If the J is a high-J (close to I) and the K is a low-K (close to L), the difference is bound to be huge. If the J is a low-J and the K is a high-K, the difference will be minimal, and both stones might even have gotten the other grade on another working-day in the lab.

All the above refers to body-colour and determining the colour-grade in a lab-atmosphere. Now onto face-up observation of colour.

The environment in which one observes face-up-colour will greatly influence the observation. In a white environment with bright diffuse lighting, colour-differences might be more discernable. But on the other hand, in such environments, better cut stones will hide their body-colour better, thus making a better-cut lower colour face-up whiter than a medium-cut higher colour.

An environment with yellowish walls then again will make it more difficult to see a colour-difference face-up.

Finally, fluorescence might also improve the face-up colour.

All in all, too many variables to give any definite answer. To start, it depends on the specific stones, and then, it depends on the viewing-environment.

Live long,

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results