shape
carat
color
clarity

J color studs without fluoro

Aji321

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I just recieved a pair of loose diamonds (2ctw J color),which be used for martini studs. I love the cut and they face up very white in different nighttime lighting situations (just as white as my F e-ring!).

However, during the day, in diffused daylight, I do notice some tint when I am comparing them to my e-ring. I know that if I got med/strong fluoro, this would help make them whiter. I was afraid of fluoro because I used to have a stone with SB fluoro that made it look milky.

Now, in real life, I know no one will be comparing my studs to my ring. I am assuming that when these studs are sitting on my ear, they will just look white and sparkly. I have a medium brown skin tone and black hair, so this will probably make them look whiter?

I love the cut, they have awesome fire and sparkle, and my husband thinks I am nuts for hesitating. We spent a lot of time choosing these stones, and I do not want to go back to the drawing board unless absolutely necessary.

I would love some reassurance that I am making the right choice. Anyone with J studs who notice the warmth? Do you enjoy the look of the warmth?

Thank you everyone!

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
I’m just upgrading my J colour stone. It’s got strong blue fluorescence so in certain lighting conditions it helps. However, there’s no two ways about the tint in other situations. It has bothered me a lot. My I coloured earrings are next on the list.

If you’re unsure as soon as you’ve got your earrings, I’d go up in colour.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it bothers you I’d consider going higher in color. Your ER is considerably higher in color and I could see why it might bother you to have lower color studs. There’s no right or wrong. It comes down to personal preference and sometimes it’s a mind clean thing.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I had J colored studs (2.16ctw) and like you, sometimes I thought they looked bright and white but other times they looked tinted to me. I knew that I would go crazy constantly looking at them and wondering if I could see tint. I exchanged them for smaller G colored studs. (I also thought the 2.16 total looked too big on my ears.)

What’s strange is that before I got the J studs, I had a pair of K colored studs that I bought second-hand. Because I paid such a low price for the K’s on the secondary market, the tint didn’t bother me. I noticed it but I felt it was worth it because of what I’d paid. So you have to know yourself...if you can accept the slight tint, keep them. If you will be constantly questioning them as I was, I’d consider going higer in color.

Aji321

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses so far. It sounds like I may need to reconsider these stones. However, I was hoping someone may pop in and say that they had their doubts at first and eventually was happy with their choice...

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the responses so far. It sounds like I may need to reconsider these stones. However, I was hoping someone may pop in and say that they had their doubts at first and eventually was happy with their choice...

So they aren’t set yet? What is the return policy? Could you have them set and wear them a bit before you decide? And does the vendor have an upgrade policy if you want to switch to a higher color later? You are right that nobody will be comparing them to your ring and they will probably look very bright on your ears. Only you can decide if the color difference bothers you. It sounds like you really like them!

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
The ears are tricky, I see people say they would go lower In studs but I have Gs and I am always checking to make sure they look like white sparkle bombs on my ear so they stand out.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not really the same thing which is why I didn't share this yesterday when I replied to you. But I will share if it helps. At first I thought I wanted high color studs for my ears. My ER is a GIA JVS OEC and I love her. I wouldn't change a thing about her. For some reason I had it in my head though that for studs I wanted higher color and I started searching. Eventually I fell in love with GIA K OEC studs. And while I got them just a couple of weeks ago I have zero regrets. I love them. It's their whole look. The gorgeous and crisp faceting and bright even light play and their romantic glow. They are antique diamonds though and IMO very different than modern cut diamonds so take my experience for what it is and it doesn't necessarily apply to your journey except for the fact what I thought I wanted wasn't what I ended up wanting and purchasing.

Here's a photo. They are as @Fancygems puts it sparkle bombs and they are GIA Ks! IMO they are every bit as beautiful as a D MRB IMO. Well, for me, more beautiful because while I appreciate MRBs my heart beats faster for OECs. But it comes down to personal preference 100%. No right no wrong. Diamonds rock in all different colors, shapes and sizes.

Inside in the kitchen.
maryannonmyearkitchen.png

Don't rush into any purchase if you aren't sure. Take your time in deciding.

Color is a very personal choice when it comes to diamonds and it is subjective. Some people are color sensitive (me) but enjoy it (in old cuts for me but I do not love it in modern cut diamonds); some people aren't color sensitive and go lower in color to get a bigger diamond for their money; some people are color sensitive and don't like lower color diamonds.

We all vary and there is no one right way that fits all. The key is figuring out where you fall and deciding what you want and need and what are your non negotiables.

Good luck and enjoy the process.

Aji321

Rough_Rock
So they aren’t set yet? What is the return policy? Could you have them set and wear them a bit before you decide? And does the vendor have an upgrade policy if you want to switch to a higher color later? You are right that nobody will be comparing them to your ring and they will probably look very bright on your ears. Only you can decide if the color difference bothers you. It sounds like you really like them!

No, they are not set and we are within the only a few days into the 30 day return window from JA (so no upgrade). We could have them set and if I do not like them, could remove them from the setting and send them back. All that trouble will drive my husband nuts because he does not even see the color difference that I see.

I know that this is such a personal thing. If I go up in color, will need to go down in clarity and/or size, so need to decide what is the best compromise.

Aji321

Rough_Rock
Not really the same thing which is why I didn't share this yesterday when I replied to you. But I will share if it helps. At first I thought I wanted high color studs for my ears. My ER is a GIA JVS OEC and I love her. I wouldn't change a thing about her. For some reason I had it in my head though that for studs I wanted higher color and I started searching. Eventually I fell in love with GIA K OEC studs. And while I got them just a couple of weeks ago I have zero regrets. I love them. It's their whole look. The gorgeous and crisp faceting and bright even light play and their romantic glow. They are antique diamonds though and IMO very different than modern cut diamonds so take my experience for what it is and it doesn't necessarily apply to your journey except for the fact what I thought I wanted wasn't what I ended up wanting and purchasing.

Here's a photo. They are as @Fancygems puts it sparkle bombs and they are GIA Ks! IMO they are every bit as beautiful as a D MRB IMO. Well, for me, more beautiful because while I appreciate MRBs my heart beats faster for OECs. But it comes down to personal preference 100%. No right no wrong. Diamonds rock in all different colors, shapes and sizes.

Inside in the kitchen.
maryannonmyearkitchen.png

Don't rush into any purchase if you aren't sure. Take your time in deciding.

Color is a very personal choice when it comes to diamonds and it is subjective. Some people are color sensitive (me) but enjoy it (in old cuts for me but I do not love it in modern cut diamonds); some people aren't color sensitive and go lower in color to get a bigger diamond for their money; some people are color sensitive and don't like lower color diamonds.

We all vary and there is no one right way that fits all. The key is figuring out where you fall and deciding what you want and need and what are your non negotiables.

Good luck and enjoy the process.

Thank you missy for sharing your journey. It is so true that sometimes you start in one direction and find yourself going somewhere very different. I have some time to mull these stones over and will need to decide if priority is size or color.

You studs are gorgeous! I have not researched OECs. What do you like about them vs MRBs? Are they in the same price point? How do you find them?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you missy for sharing your journey. It is so true that sometimes you start in one direction and find yourself going somewhere very different. I have some time to mull these stones over and will need to decide if priority is size or color.

You studs are gorgeous! I have not researched OECs. What do you like about them vs MRBs? Are they in the same price point? How do you find them?

Thank you @Aji321.
We are off to a doctor appointment right now so I don't have sufficient time to go into depth (haha depth...diamond joke lol) but I just adore the chunky faceting and wonky shapes of OECs. And the soft glow and the colors emanating from within...it's romantic and delicious and beautiful all at the same time. Here's one (of so many) threads showing a bit of the difference. HTH and if you have any questions I will try coming back later and answering them.

Here's the thread re my OEC earrings.

And lastly the thread re my OEC ER.

You can see I am an old cut girl through and through. I started with an MRB but when I realized my preferences I never looked back and my OEC journey began. Good luck and enjoy.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I will preface that I’m not color sensitive at all. With that being said I have K studs with no flouro and they don’t bother me at all. I actually love my K studs! You have an F ER so I wouldn’t even compare the two bc it’s not apples to apples.

You may need to return especially if it’s bothering you bc they should face up white when you are wearing them.

Aji321

Rough_Rock
Thank you @Aji321.
We are off to a doctor appointment right now so I don't have sufficient time to go into depth (haha depth...diamond joke lol) but I just adore the chunky faceting and wonky shapes of OECs. And the soft glow and the colors emanating from within...it's romantic and delicious and beautiful all at the same time. Here's one (of so many) threads showing a bit of the difference. HTH and if you have any questions I will try coming back later and answering them.

Here's the thread re my OEC earrings.

And lastly the thread re my OEC ER.

You can see I am an old cut girl through and through. I started with an MRB but when I realized my preferences I never looked back and my OEC journey began. Good luck and enjoy.
I love your ER story so much! It sounds like a Hollywood love story with the meet cute, the longing, then the reunion years later. Amazing!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your ER story so much! It sounds like a Hollywood love story with the meet cute, the longing, then the reunion years later. Amazing!!

Aww thank you!
Wishing you a beautiful journey to find your ultimate dream HG stone. ❤️

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
My back story is i have 2.40 which are EGL Iternatioval F & G stones so I call them "J" if they were GIA lol. The only time I feel the tint is when I wear them with my IDJ F color jackets . It's the only time it bothers me. 786660

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@Aji321 any pics of the stones?

My studs are I color and when I compare them to my F er they look yellow to my eyes. But on their own they look white.

@missy new studs are just divine! You should check out the Jewel by Grace website for some OEC and OMC eye candy. My next diamond will be a OEC. I love the faceting on old cuts. And it’s amazing how they often face up whiter.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think you need to return them - you are doubting it too much. You already have the F so you now cannot take that comparison out of your head. My husband goes nuts over all this so I understand that side element to the process!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Aji321 any pics of the stones?

My studs are I color and when I compare them to my F er they look yellow to my eyes. But on their own they look white.

@missy new studs are just divine! You should check out the Jewel by Grace website for some OEC and OMC eye candy. My next diamond will be a OEC. I love the faceting on old cuts. And it’s amazing how they often face up whiter.

Thank you so much @lulu_ma and LOL. My OEC studs are from Grace. I also got my OEC ER from her. Grace and I go way back. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results