shape
carat
color
clarity

J Color AVC in a Halo Setting

txagkg

Rough_Rock
I am hoping to get some opinions on a J color August Vintage Cushion.

I am planning on setting the cushion in a halo similar to the Harry Winston and Tiffany Legacy. I am not going for the "warm" look - I want a stone that looks white and my original plan was to go no lower than an I in color. I am thinking of going with a J color and my question is - is it likely that this center stone will look yellow next to the melee diamonds? Or will the AVC cut make the face up appearance whiter than say a modern cut cushion?

Thanks.

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock
I don't know but to me if you are "not going for the "warm" look - I want a stone that looks white" I am not sure that a J will do it for you.

I have struggled trying to pick out which color I want, for my eye, and my wallet. This video was very helpful to me, as is going to look at different color graded stones.

http://www.vimeo.com/3288695

Good luck!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think if you want your diamond to look as white as possible then do not halo it. The contrast with the melee will exaggerate the warmth of the center stone, in my experience, whereas on its own it may look plenty white for you! My J certainly does!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
somewhere there is a video of a J colored AVC in a halo...not sure where though. it may be helpful to you!

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
txagkg said:
I am hoping to get some opinions on a J color August Vintage Cushion.

I am planning on setting the cushion in a halo similar to the Harry Winston and Tiffany Legacy. I am not going for the "warm" look - I want a stone that looks white and my original plan was to go no lower than an I in color.

Then don't get a J.

I am thinking of going with a J color and my question is - is it likely that this center stone will look yellow next to the melee diamonds? Or will the AVC cut make the face up appearance whiter than say a modern cut cushion?

It will show warmth, mostly a shade of cream or white, it might look yellow in some lighting but the contrast with the melee will be apparent.
No the AVC is a vintage cut it will not help make the stone appear whiter, it will show more warmth than say a modern round brilliant or a SCHA.
Thanks.

txagkg

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies - you've confirmed what I was already thinking.

One more question - Since my plan was to go with an I, should I actually be looking for an H? It doesn't seem like there would be any noticeable difference between an I and a J, correct?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
txagkg said:
Thanks for the replies - you've confirmed what I was already thinking.

One more question - Since my plan was to go with an I, should I actually be looking for an H? It doesn't seem like there would be any noticeable difference between an I and a J, correct?

I think you should see stones in person to decide. To me, there is not much difference between I and J, but if you got a "high I' and a "low J" then there could be a noticable difference perhaps.

Me personally, for a halo I would go H and above. But lots of people have haloed I/J stones and love it. It is personal preference and ultimately you should see it to make up your mind.

senormatt

Rough_Rock
I watched this video comparing an F to an L with a small difference in my eyes. http://www.vimeo.com/6212171

Kind of surprised. Based on this video, my guess is if it's an 'ideal' cut, it's hard to tell a J from an H.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
senormatt said:
I watched this video comparing an F to an L with a small difference in my eyes. http://www.vimeo.com/6212171

Kind of surprised. Based on this video, my guess is if it's an 'ideal' cut, it's hard to tell a J from an H.

Videos are a helpful starting point but you really do need to see stones in person to assess color. Though on the one hand I agree completely that the color grades are small and it is suprising how little practical difference there is between an F and a J, for example, it is a real difference and many people can detect it easily. Many others can't. And many like warmth and many don't. You really should see diamonds in person before you make a decision to go with a diamond that is I or lower in color in my opinion, to be sure it is pleasing to your eye! That is the point where I believe that the warmth becomes more obvious.

I for example like warmth in diamonds but don't want to see tint, which for me comes somewhere in the J color group. I only knew my tolerace and preference from real life experience!

txagkg

Rough_Rock
Well I made the decision to have a look at the diamond in person. As mentioned, this is really the only way I am going to be able to decide if the J is too much. Here is the stone - any other concerns?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7445

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is STUNNING! I love an almost perfectly square AVC.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely square shape, small table too which is my personal preference. Hopefully you'll love the 'J' colour. My AVC is a 'J' too and I adore it. You are in great hands with Jon. I don't think there is anything you need to be concerend about with this fantastic stone.

DCdiamondgirl

Shiny_Rock
That's the other stone I was considering! I loved everything about it, but for my ering, I wanted a whiter stone. It's sooo beautiful though. I got the 1.45 H AVC http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7444/ and have been thinking I made the wrong choice ever since, haha.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aww, damn, I'm sorry. I didn't read that right. I think the one you got is pretty freaking fantastic too. Can't go wrong with AVC's. :love:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think seeing it in person will really help you know how you feel! I think you will love it ;))

To decide about haloing it, though, I suggest you take the stone to a local trusted jeweler and perhaps ask if they have any halo mounts you can rest it in to see the contrast. That will help you make up your mind.

txagkg

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies - I'm pretty excited to see it in person.

Dreamer_D, that is a great suggestion - thanks. I am definitely going to do that when it comes in.

txagkg

Rough_Rock
Well, the diamond is here!

It definitely faces up white but I can see a slight tint when I look at it from the side. I'm going to try it out in some halo settings at a local jeweler and see what I think - I'll post an update after I check it out.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you like the stone?

txagkg

Rough_Rock
I love the cut and the symmetry of the stone - the light performance is excellent.

However, I have a few concerns - one is that the size is a little smaller than what I was originally looking for, but not a big deal. I am still debating on whether the J color is too much - I think I will be able to make that decision after I see it in a halo setting. My other worry is that the one inclusion is under the table and I can find it with my naked eye - not what I would expect from a VS2.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi tx,

Not sure what jeweller you are planning on using, but a custom jeweller worth their salt should be able to
order melee in G-H colour or even I-J to match your stone, or at least to minimize the contrast between your J
centre and a 'standard' melee halo (which should usually be D-E.)

hope that helps a bit. I have an M AVC and personally love it in every way - but I do understand your concern with the halo.

May I suggest, if you need some further advice than JBeG (jewels by erica grace) who primarily deal with vintage stones will know alot
about setting lower colour centre stones with side/halo diamonds.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Getting a lower color halo will not help much with the contrast in my opinion. The contrast comes not so much from body color as from the way that diamonds of different sizes handle light. Teensy diamonds do nto actually show much or any body color at all, they look like sparkly little white circles all the time in large part because the factes are so small your eye cannot pick up contrast. Larger diamonds, especially a chunky cut like the AVC, allow lots of opportunity for body color to show, and since the facets are larger, also lots of opportunity to see contrast. In my experience with a larger J color stone, it markedly contrasts with H/I color melee because the larger stone shows its body color more and treats light differently than do the little melee stones. So I am of the opinion that there will *always* be a contrast between a J color main stone and melee, even if you match the color grades exactly.

senormatt

Rough_Rock
I'm kind of new to diamonds, but I'm finding myself more drawn to a J than, say, a F. Is something wrong with me? I'm almost shy preferring a lower color. I think the K above looks great. Keeping everything else the same (cut, clarity, polish) my eyes tend to favor a touch of warmth. I guess it's good because those perfectly white diamonds cost more :mrgreen:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
bean said:
Good video comparing a 2ct+ K and a 1ct H in a halo

http://www.vimeo.com/14621870

Excellent video! Jon has been listening me thinks :cheeky: Both amazing rings and diamonds. The end is great because he also comments on the contrast between a larger stone and melee stones.

Another good comparison to make would be a K color AVC in a solitaire and a K color AVC in a halo. In my opinion, there you would also see a difference in perceived body color that is almost as striking (to my eye) as the difference between the K and H in the video. I notice the tint in my J much more when I wear my half eternity band (H/I melee).

Also, though Jon shows some good lighting environments, the most harsh lighting for diamonds with tint is office type lighting, and if you are not a big warmth fan, and even if you like the looks of a J/K in a halo in some lighting, in that harsh environment it could bug you.

But to the OP, let your eyes guide you. Color is such a personal preference that it is impossible for any of us to really help you decide!

I own two G's, an I, and a J diamond... the J is very pretty. I am actually very tempted to get an L or lower for a pendant. I like D's too, but since those are out of budget, I have no problems testing my limits with lower colors!

In fact, I doubt there is a well cut diamond in any color that I would turn away... :bigsmile:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
senormatt said:
I'm kind of new to diamonds, but I'm finding myself more drawn to a J than, say, a F. Is something wrong with me? I'm almost shy preferring a lower color. I think the K above looks great. Keeping everything else the same (cut, clarity, polish) my eyes tend to favor a touch of warmth. I guess it's good because those perfectly white diamonds cost more :mrgreen:

Don't be shy!! Lots of people love warmth in their diamonds. I do too, though perhaps not as much as a K but I do prefer H color, for example, to totally colorless. And others here on PS prefer K/L/M color too! Color is a totally subjective preference when it comes to perceived beauty of a diamond. It affects price because of rarity and marketing, not because there is something wrong with tinted stones.

The K is aso HUGE in that video ;)) That might be drawing you to it as well. Just food for thought.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
txagkg said:
I love the cut and the symmetry of the stone - the light performance is excellent.

However, I have a few concerns - one is that the size is a little smaller than what I was originally looking for, but not a big deal. I am still debating on whether the J color is too much - I think I will be able to make that decision after I see it in a halo setting. My other worry is that the one inclusion is under the table and I can find it with my naked eye - not what I would expect from a VS2.

Is the inclusion a deal breaking point for you? How closely do you need to look to see it? It is uncommon to see inclusions in a VS2 with the naked eye, but not at all unheard of, especially if you are near sighted and scrutinize the diamond very very close. Not everyone is like that, but if you are and it matters to you to not see inclusions ever no matter what, then you can look for a different VS2 or even go up in clarity. Clarity does not affect price as much in J color than it would in F coor, for example, so it is actually not all that much more to go up in clarity if you like lower color stones!

txagkg

Rough_Rock
bean, awesome video - thanks for posting the link. I honestly can't really detect a difference in color between those two center stones. They both looked slightly tinted to me in the halo setting.

As for the inclusion, no, it is not a deal breaker for me. It is right in the middle of one of the large facets under the table so if the light is reflecting off of that facet, I can pick up the inclusion from about 10 inches away. If this were an SI1 stone, it wouldn't bother me at all, I was just a little surprised to see that in a VS2.

I completely agree that the office lighting is the most harsh. When I take it outside, it looks perfectly white and bright and I can only see a slight tint from the side. In my office, it seems like I can see a tint in the face up view and definitely from the side. Decisions, decisions. My original plan was to shoot for an I SI1 stone but I can't imagine there is any discernable difference between the J and an I, correct?

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I agree tx. I was surprised at how little difference in colour there was between the the two center stones. I expected the H to appear whiter. For me on my screen, the two center stones looked fairly close in colour to each other and not the noticable contrast I was expecting.

From what Dreamer was saying, (hope I understood this correctly, correct me if I'm wrong) it seems that there will be a contrast between the halo and the center stone even if matching coloured stones are used in the halo.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
chamois said:
I agree tx. I was surprised at how little difference in colour there was between the the two center stones. I expected the H to appear whiter. For me on my screen, the two center stones looked fairly close in colour to each other and not the noticable contrast I was expecting.

From what Dreamer was saying, (hope I understood this correctly, correct me if I'm wrong) it seems that there will be a contrast between the halo and the center stone even if matching coloured stones are used in the halo.

Yes, that is my suggestion based on my own comparison with H/I melee and my "high J" diamond.

It is unlikely there is much difference between a J and an I, unless your diamond is a "low J" and you could find a "high I". I own a J, and if I wanted to have a noticably less tinted stone I would probably be looking for at least a Low G/High H!

Funny, I thought that the difference in tint was very noticable in the video 8) Mostly when I compared the center stone to the melee, not trying to look stone to stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results