shape
carat
color
clarity

IYO, Can veteran PSers really influence a newbie ..

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
on which vendor(s) to buy from? what specs to look for? color/clarity?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I think to some degree yes they can influence people. I read here extensively and have learned a lot over the years from the vendors and our members. It's the reason I did as well as I did with my engagement ring and subsequently my wedding ring afterwards.

I have not used any PS vendors yet because my husband prefers to buy settings in person and all we have done so far is set stones I had on my person already. However our next big project whenever we can afford it does include PS vendors at least for the stone purchase because so far my research at the brick and mortar stores leads me to believe that I can find a better, prettier stone though one of them and my jeweller is absolutely happy to set outside stones for me and help us get as close to matching online prices as possible.

But again if I had never read here I probably wouldn't have found that jewellery store either. I would still be shopping at the mall. Quick little story. My husband and I were shopping for my engagement ring setting and we went to a chain store. I walked in and of course it looked beautiful inside but I did not have high hopes about finding something I liked at all but I was willing to check it out for my husbands sake. Well I came in and asked some exploratory questions based on knowledge i gained here and wouldn't you know? The answers I got from them were clearly uneducated and some flat out wrong. I smiled but inside I was cringing. I said thank you and looked around the store. The jewellery was pretty for sure but overpriced and super thin and everything in our price range had super teeny diamonds. So I walked out and told my husband I didn't like that store. He stared at me, super confused and asked me why because to him that store was awesome!! I tried to explain that we could do better but he just did not understand at all. Then we went to a second store and spoke to the owners daughter. She was great. She answered my probing questions correctly and when I showed her what we had been eyeing online at the time she said that their store absolutely wanted to compete and would price match something similar. Well she ended up doing even better. We found a setting with bigger diamonds and better construction than that online ring I had been considering and she still got as close as she could to the price of that ring and still set it in platinum. I may not love the halo, ( husband's choice. He's fancier than me apparently lmao) and the prongs may be kind of bulky and not the kind of prongs I was expecting as someone used to looking at all the gorgeous prongs on PSers rings but I have to admit. This thing has been a tank. I'm clumsy and it lives through everything I throw at it. And it still sparkles more and looks better than most similar things I see in person.
I am so grateful for the people here and the vendors who share their knowledge. I couldn't have done it without them :)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first came here I was looking for advice, which I gratefully received. I thought I had a spessasite garnet when In fact I had a synthetic sapphire. Despite my reasonable knowledge, I didn’t know, up until then that they made synthetic sapphires in Orange!
I think some people come here to “sound out” their ideas or seek an opinion. Often times I think people have 95% made up theirs mind and are seeking reassurance.
That said, there have been some posts where a complete newbie to the world of gemstones has said “help” and many people have provided their thoughts and opinions. I’ve been delighted seeing the follow up post (s) including the ring on the hand of the fiancée (PS community 1 - Mall jeweller 0)
So yes, I think many people (including myself) have benefitted from the vast collective knowledge of this wonderful community.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe it depends on the OP. My experience has varied, and I bow out of a conversation the moment it appears OP isn’t really seeking advice, but rather, praise for finding a diamond. A lot of first time customers spend weeks to months searching, and when they find what THEY believe to be the needle in the hay stack, they post about it for confirmation that it IS a great find, not necessarily for “better suggestions”, or real, constructive criticism. Those conversations get frustrating very quickly.
The majority of newbies are open to real, sound, experienced advice, and seem to be open to learning more, in order to make a more informed decision on how to spend their money.
I was somewhat knowledgeable, when I joined, but I can’t tell you how great it felt to purchase in confidence, when Yoram & I made contact, and he sourced my Asschers. Knowing what I wanted, and being super-specific made his job easier, and my experience simply amazing. That was our first online purchase of diamonds, and it felt like a huge leap of faith. That transaction was so flawless that I have absolutely no apprehension about ever buying in that fashion ever again. Yoram has a lifetime customer, here! PS lead me to him, and I am so grateful for that!! Thank you, @OoohShiny, and the rest of the community who recommended @diagem!! The love this community has for the vendors, here, is immeasurable!
Great thread, @Dancing Fire!

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As a newbie, they helped tremendously with steering me toward WF and an ACA that I purchased when I had never heard of WF or ACAs before. I also learned about OECs and AVCs here, both of which I also have purchased since. So yes, I have been influenced in very positive ways since joining.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
on which vendor(s) to buy from? what specs to look for? color/clarity?

Depends on the newbie...some people are looking for and open to more guidance and others more independent and take the info and learn from it and figure out what they love and can afford. So as dear @kenny always says...people vary.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think these boards steer a lot of business to WF, CBI, DKJ, CVB, and more...yes newbies are influenced on where to buy but they likely come here b/c they want alternatives to what they're finding on their own. I did, anyway.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely. They count on advice and it’s the vets/regular posters who have the most credibility (usually). That’s why we need to make sure we present all options and not just biased ones.

scoutfinch

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely. As a newbie I can say that the advice of PS veterans has greatly helped me when seeking information on OECs and OMCs, settings, and venders as well. I haven’t posted much but have researched a lot over the years. The advice and information here is invaluable for someone like me. Our trusted local jeweler who specialized in old cut diamonds closed last year about the time our son was looking for an engagement ring. He tried ording a few from jewelers in the area and the results were disappointing. He specifically wanted an OEC, and thanks to PS our world was opened up on where to purchase and what specs to look for. I appreciate y’all!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People at all levels have the ability to influence. Some are just better than others. What I particularly like about this forum is that while it may not be perfect, the "spirit" of the people here tend to be for the right reasons.

By chance, have you ever read Dale Carnegie's classic "How to Win Friends & Influence People"? It's considered a staple by many, including myself and if you haven't read then you should consider putting it on your list.

A few snips...

Principles from How to Win Friends and Infuence People

Become a Friendlier Person
1. Don’t criticize, condemn or complain.
2. Give honest, sincere appreciation.
3. Arouse in the other person an eager want.
4. Become genuinely interested in other people.
5. Smile.
6. Remember that a person’s name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language.
7. Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
8. Talk in terms of the other person’s interests.
9. Make the other person feel important – and do it sincerely.

Win People to Your Way of Thinking
10. The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.
11. Show respect for the other person’s opinion. Never say, “you’re wrong.”
12. If you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
13. Begin in a friendly way.
14. Get the other person saying, “yes, yes” immediately.
15. Let the other person do a great deal of the talking.
16. Let the other person feel that the idea is his or hers.
17. Try honestly to see things from the other person’s point of view.
18. Be sympathetic with the other person’s ideas and desires.
19. Appeal to the nobler motives.
20. Dramatize your ideas.
21. Throw down a challenge.

twang07

Shiny_Rock
Definitely. I don't think I would have found CvB without this forum, or had the confidence to go custom period. Definitely would not have discovered LT or WF. I love this forum for exposing me to all the possibilities!

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, however, mostly with respect to cut.

I find that people who want high color or clarity for "cultural reasons" can't be convinced to go down a few grades in color or clarity, even if there is no visible difference, in order to get a better cut or bigger carat size.

I find it a bit silly, personally, to pay a premium for "upgrades" that you can't actually see but understand that for some people, being able to tell other people (and perhaps yourself) that you have a D color or IF clarity diamond is more important than having a bigger sized diamond.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, however, mostly with respect to cut.

I find that people who want high color or clarity for "cultural reasons" can't be convinced to go down a few grades in color or clarity, even if there is no visible difference, in order to get a better cut or bigger carat size.

I find it a bit silly, personally, to pay a premium for "upgrades" that you can't actually see but understand that for some people, being able to tell other people (and perhaps yourself) that you have a D color or IF clarity diamond is more important than having a bigger sized diamond.

Very true. I recently had some "growing experiences" over a few recent threads like this. No hard feelings as I really understand cultures are different.

That said, here is a little rhyme I composed -- inspired by what many will call a tasteless 80's rap song, Seattle Ain't Bullsh*ttin' by the greatly disrespected Sir Mix Alot... :mrgreen2:

**If you are easily offended, keep scrolling**

The Westerners say Asians are whack
Size isn't all it's cracked up to be, so trust me 1-point-2 <pause> carats is plenty phat
I buy D's & E's, not F's and G's
Add VS1+ clarity and I snatch'm up faster than happy meals
GIA Triple X certification, I own the motherf*ckin' label
And I promise you, I got the papers on the table
And I'm buyin' just like that
No super ideal premiums so my pocket stays fat
A lot of Westerner clowns tried to convince me otherwise but they didn't
Huh, cause this Asian culture wasn't bullsh*ttin'

Last edited:

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
The people that take their time to help others on this site are amazing and influenced me to buy an August Vintage Cushion from the pre-loved section on here. I've never even heard of August Vintage before coming to this site lol.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Newbie here and this site certainly influenced me in my recent upgrade purchase. Though I did not purchase an AGS Super Ideal from the preferred vendors, the information here helped me make a more educated decision on my GIA XXX that worked for my budget and requirements with a cut level that I would not have achieved had I not come here (it falls at AGS Ideal, but can't be sure due to GIA rounding LOL). Though I am sure the recommended AGS Super Ideals from the preferred vendors are stunning, the premium was more than I was willing to pay and my husband wanted GIA cert only. I have no regrets with my decision and somehow love my new diamond more every day. Many thanks to the PSers! Had I not stumbled on this site, I am 100% certain I would have purchased a GIA XXX stone with an inferior cut.

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, absolutely! I have read many a post where PS'ers have expressed opinions regarding PS vendors, where the OP chooses to make a purchase from that vendor, be it the stone or setting(s) and even subsequent purchases. Many discussions have led the OP's away from their initial intended jeweler and towards those whom Pricescopers have used and/or recommended. Myself included! :)

Caly27

Rough_Rock
This site influenced my purchase. Ordinarily, I would've just gone to a mall store to buy a replacement pair of studs. Instead, after lurking and some advice from the lovely people here, I ended up getting a smaller pair of ACAs that I can upgrade in the future.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live 10 minutes from whiteflash and had never heard of them! Because of ps, I have an ering upgrade, studs, a wb, a 7 stone, and I am in the process of a 5 stone ring. Lol, maybe it would be better to not live so close!

Also I don't think I would have felt comfortable with shipping stones cross country without the testimonies of psers. Now, I don't even think about it!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Other PSers have certainly influenced my buying habits :mrgreen2:

This^^... 100% :lol: Seriously though, while it may have been harder on the wallet, my eyes have appreciated it so much more. I am much, much happier with what I’ve acquired through what I’ve learned from the veterans and PS.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, and according to this poster on reddit, we "all parrot the same superideal line." But in general I think the community does a lot to educate the newbies (including myself).

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Bias is as bias does.

cheers--Sharon

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes for me definitely.
I have learned tons about diamonds and color stones from Pricescope. Heck pearls too!! I'm so greatful.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally. After being on here I don’t buy anything but ACA

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, I do think that PS influences decisions but that it is also a good thing - especially for Australians and the selection and prices attached to purchasing locally.

Whilst if I hadn't found PS, I probably would have found and purchased a stone through my local jeweller, paid way too much for it and thought it was the bees knees, I am happy that I have a stone that I never have to second guess. I never have to wonder if I could have found a better one or if I paid too much. In Australia, everyone is GIA xxx is all you need, that's all that matters.

Pricescope made me research not only stones and settings but vendors also. I tried to purchase through many Australian vendors but at the end of the day I never felt like I was getting my money's worth and no one showed me a stone that I felt represented the pricetag attached to it. Had I not found PS then I wouldn't have known how much I could save by purchasing from the US, not to mention the quality of the diamonds also - super ideal or not.

Almost every diamond I was shown in Australia had big black inclusions and most scored well over 3-4 on the HCA and these would have cost me $50-$60,000aud.

Surprisingly, some Australian vendors that I had an initial chat with, offered stones and then just didn't respond to emails or follow up the conversation. I find that really odd, especially given the budget I was looking to spend. I am not one to chase people I am trying to do business with. If you can't be bothered keeping in contact and I am doing all the following up, you don't deserve my hard earned money.

Every vendor I dealt with in the US was responsive day and night, the quality of the service was just a step above.

So thanks PS.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results