shape
carat
color
clarity

I've lost my mind over old cuts.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just did something I NEVER thought I'd do. I listed my Aurora band for sale. :o I'm a little shell shocked. But I just pulled the band aid off.

Why you ask? Cause I've been pouring enviously over all the flipping amazing old cut rings we've been seeing recently and want. one. so. bad. And I'm so in love with my engagement ring since my halo make over that I haven't been wearing on my left hand. And I KNOW that the second I get an old cut RHR I won't wear it on my right much either! Plus... I gotta pay for that old cut ring some how!

Am I nuts? Seriously... yikes.

happybear

Shiny_Rock
Oh Gypsy!
I wish I have the funds to purchase it from you. That ring is gorgeous!!!
Oh, by the way you didn't indicate the price..?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ummm...yes you are nuts. i love your aurora band but i love all of the old cuts too...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
R.O.F.L.M.A.O. I fixed it, Happybear. Thanks for the heads up. :bigsmile:

Selling stuff is kinda liberating isn't it? I never sell my pre-owned stuff. I'm so bad. I have stuff in the house I can't just throw out but that I don't use. Like three pairs of Cole Haan flats the kill my feet but that I paid over 100 each for. But... who buys old shoes? Do people really DO that?

I think I'm going to list some left over wedding stuff (including the two wedding dresses I've never worn) on ebay this weekend. All in the name of simplifying my house (or... more accurately liberating funds for bling!).

Slg... I know. I know. But... I want a big ole honking (for me big is anything over 6.5 mm mind you) old european cut.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Gypsy, I wondered if this was the purchase you regretted, but wouldn't talk about, in the other thread. To me this band is incredibly beautiful, unique, blingy, and classic all at the same time. However, when I don't immediately think of *you* with this band, or at least what I'm used to in terms of what you typically love. However, if you are like me you may tend to have two different taste styles. I tend to like both antique styles and super modern looks.

I think your rip off the band aid approach is a good one, and one that I can relate a lot to right now since I just sent my Danhov setting off to JBEG to be consigned and I'm figuring out the reset. It's hard to think of the money lost, especially when the ring is so beautiful, but ultimately I think it's a great choice if it frees up a substantial amount of funds to get what you really want. I would love an old cut stone too someday as a RHR.

Now in the mean time...what type of stones are you drooling over and what kind of project are you thinking of? I'm really excited to hear what you have in mind. Someone will be very lucky to have your band and I hope it goes to a home where it will be worn, loved, and shown off.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
well it's important to have pieces you love and pieces that you will wear. personally I think your aurora band is PERFECT for a RHR...but that's just me!

I can't wait to see what you get...I have also been drooling over all of these old cuts :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kcoursolle|1316233017|3019306 said:
Hi Gypsy, I wondered if this was the purchase you regretted, but wouldn't talk about, in the other thread. To me this band is incredibly beautiful, unique, blingy, and classic all at the same time. However, when I don't immediately think of *you* with this band, or at least what I'm used to in terms of what you typically love. However, if you are like me you may tend to have two different taste styles. I tend to like both antique styles and super modern looks.

I think your rip off the band aid approach is a good one, and one that I can relate a lot to right now since I just sent my Danhov setting off to JBEG to be consigned and I'm figuring out the reset. It's hard to think of the money lost, especially when the ring is so beautiful, but ultimately I think it's a great choice if it frees up a substantial amount of funds to get what you really want. I would love an old cut stone too someday as a RHR.

Now in the mean time...what type of stones are you drooling over and what kind of project are you thinking of? I'm really excited to hear what you have in mind. Someone will be very lucky to have your band and I hope it goes to a home where it will be worn, loved, and shown off.

See, clearly I need to check with you before I make purchases. LOL.

It's not me. I really love the performance of the diamonds. I mean the band has blinded me while driving even in the rain-- it's just THAT fiery and bright. And it was a hard decision because I get complemented on it every time I wear it. And one of the jewelers I take things to for cleaning, etc. adores this band (hmm... wonder if I should consign with them). But ultimately it's not me. I WANTED it to be me. But... when I think of someone else wearing it-- or when I see it on someone's hand (Neatfreak wears it sometimes when we are together) I think it's beautiful but don't get that MY PRECIOUS feeling I do with my other pieces.

As for what I'm thinking. I'm thinking of getting the largest and nicest OEC I can for my budget then saving up for a setting. I want the ring to look like a RHR, so as much as I adore solitaires I won't be getting one. Or a halo, as my engagement ring has one. I might go with a simple and elegant three stone... flank it with some pear sapphires or something. Or go for something like the french cut rings we've seen. Or... if I can find a really awesome vintage setting I may go for that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1316233370|3019309 said:
well it's important to have pieces you love and pieces that you will wear. personally I think your aurora band is PERFECT for a RHR...but that's just me!

I can't wait to see what you get...I have also been drooling over all of these old cuts :)

It is a perfect RHR. And honestly it's an amazing 'instead of engagement ring' band. But when I sold my gold last year... I was SO HAPPY and I realized that if I don't wear it often I just shouldn't keep it. Even if it's beautiful. I sold some really lovely gold pieces, including heirlooms but I don't miss them. If this one gets a happy home, I know I'll be at peace. And happy when I look down at my old cut.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
See, clearly I need to check with you before I make purchases. LOL.

It's not me. I really love the performance of the diamonds. I mean the band has blinded me while driving even in the rain-- it's just THAT fiery and bright. And it was a hard decision because I get complemented on it every time I wear it. And one of the jewelers I take things to for cleaning, etc. adores this band (hmm... wonder if I should consign with them). But ultimately it's not me. I WANTED it to be me. But... when I think of someone else wearing it-- or when I see it on someone's hand (Neatfreak wears it sometimes when we are together) I think it's beautiful but don't get that MY PRECIOUS feeling I do with my other pieces.

As for what I'm thinking. I'm thinking of getting the largest and nicest OEC I can for my budget then saving up for a setting. I want the ring to look like a RHR, so as much as I adore solitaires I won't be getting one. Or a halo, as my engagement ring has one. I might go with a simple and elegant three stone... flank it with some pear sapphires or something. Or go for something like the french cut rings we've seen. Or... if I can find a really awesome vintage setting I may go for that.[/quote]

I do wonder sometimes if pricescopers know our jewelry tastes as well as we know them outselves ;-). Your project sounds gorgoues and I love what you are thinking in terms of a setting. I really like the idea of a three stone or a setting with french cut sides, although the french cut route can get pricey. I'm a little biased right now because I'm thinking of doing something similar in a solitaire, but I love this setting with older-cuts as a three-stone: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-jbeg-three-stone-oec-bezel-ring-is-finished.152210/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-jbeg-three-stone-oec-bezel-ring-is-finished.152210/[/URL]

Are you thinking an actual old cut, or an older-style cut from GOG or something? How about warmth, etc.?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do wonder sometimes if pricescopers know our jewelry tastes as well as we know them ourselves ;-).
Are you thinking an actual old cut, or an older-style cut from GOG or something? How about warmth, etc.?

KC-- I think that's true. I do know when I see someone considering something that's out of their common run, I worry.

As for the old cut... I'm thinking of doing what I did with with the OEC in my Odds and Ends necklace. Buying the nicest real old cut that catches my eye... no brown but all colors are okay with yellow or pinkish tinges... and send it to Brian and have him evaluate it and give it some TLC if it needs it (slight re-cut, repolish, fixing the girdle... etc.). I'm avoiding look for an actual stone right now though on purpose. I don't want to buy one until my Aurora sells. It's just not responsible.

I do think I'll post some setting ideas though.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is one of my all time favorites... but I'd need to save for it for a long time. Still I think it would be perfectly worthwhile.
1305760790_10_1_3973__1_of_4_.jpg

I'm loving dome rings recently... and though I think this might be too ornate for me... I adore the look of it.

2375_02.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1316236010|3019327 said:
This is one of my all time favorites... but I'd need to save for it for a long time. Still I think it would be perfectly worthwhile.quote]

Love love love the first one! I do think it would be worth the cost and in some ways reminds me of a vintage version of your band. I think a oneish carat OEC would look great in it, cool or warm in tone. Personally, the second one isn't delicate enough for me, and has quite a bit of detailing, but that's just my personal preference.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kcoursolle|1316237531|3019332 said:
This is one of my all time favorites... but I'd need to save for it for a long time. Still I think it would be perfectly worthwhile.quote]

Love love love the first one! I do think it would be worth the cost and in some ways reminds me of a vintage version of your band. I think a oneish carat OEC would look great in it, cool or warm in tone. Personally, the second one isn't delicate enough for me, and has quite a bit of detailing, but that's just my personal preference.

I know. The first one is my STRONG preference. And I'd be happy to save up for it. I think it would look fabulous and not TOO much like an engagement ring.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is one of my all time favorites... but I'd need to save for it for a long time. Still I think it would be perfectly worthwhile.

I'm loving dome rings recently... and though I think this might be too ornate for me... I adore the look of it.

Oh, that first one. Wow.......... can't breathe, it made me gasp. So beautiful.

Oh can't we have both? Why not????????

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must admit, I have been newly bitten by the AV(OE)Rs bug. I've already chatted with Jonathan about getting me a specific size and color of AVR. I'm going to start small (something between .50 & .60 pts.) and create a RHR for myself for Christmas. Then from there? Who knows? I have some other ideas for AVRs perking inside my head. I have the feeling they're going to be like potato chips. 'Ya can't have just one!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It must be something in the kool-aid over here. I too, am crazy for old cuts. I love your Aurora band, but am proud of you for pulling the band-aid off so to speak. I know that there is a site where a lot of PSers post their pieces for sale that is verboten over here. Is there anyway someone can tell me what it is in some kind of code that I can figure out?????

I LOVE the first setting you posted and it would be well worth saving for. What do you think your budget will be for an old cut? I've been looking feverishly for a match for an OEC I have for a pair of earrings and have come across a lot of lovely stones that are too large for me. I'd be happy to post them if I know what you're looking for...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yenny - I wish I could speak in code easily. I've tried googling a couple of things to see if anything I can think of would make it pop up, but I'm getting mostly UK sites. Actually, it's a list of jewelry classifieds. Try that.

And if you ever stumble across a match to my lovely from my other thread - feel free to give me the head's up! I'm in no rush, but I'm aware from doing my first pair of OEC earrings that I'll be searching for months to years/

Gypsy - your band is stunning!! But it must be so freeing to go for what you really love.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gemgirl... I know, right? Unfortunately owning both is not in the cards. As long as the Aurora gets a good home though, I'll be happy! Have you seen the AVR band??? I'd start stocking up on 40 pointers till I hit five or seven of those puppies!

Yenny... Thank you so much for the offer honey. But I'm very VERY consciously NOT looking for an old cut right now. I've got credit cards with mileage to burn and it would be a very bad and irresponsible thing to do to buy one on credit without having the funds to pay it off immediately. I have been lucky enough to pay for all my pieces up front, and want to do the same for this one. So... I have to wait till the Aurora sells. I may take it to Walnut Creek later today and see about consigning it at Spitz. They seem to get good traffic and turn around on their pre-owned pieces.

I promise I'll post the second it sells about an old cut... and then we can start the hunt! As for code. Can't think of any... do you know any PSers on FB or anything? If so, I would ask there. You could probably ask a PS vendor too as many know where it is.

Addy-- thank you ((hugs))

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Gypsy, I saw it listed for sale and went, wait, WHAT!?! I understand the allure of the old cuts, though. Wish I could buy it from you and still save up for the AVC I want... :naughty:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
rubybeth|1316272270|3019468 said:
Oh, Gypsy, I saw it listed for sale and went, wait, WHAT!?! I understand the allure of the old cuts, though. Wish I could buy it from you and still save up for the AVC I want... :naughty:

I totally get it rubybeth... it's all about allocation of resources.

Heck I saw this on an RT thread and I think the OP is going to (stupidly IMO) pass on it at 4,200 and I was like... OMG. I could totally buy that if this band sells. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad4Dm1Cj5SQ And honestly if it was larger I'd be super tempted... but it's a disease. We see and we want... especially with the long term members, we really appreciate lovely workmanship and gorgeous stones and KNOW the real value of the pieces we see, so it's HARD to be good.

Just as an aside, I've been chortling since last night cause DH is TRAUMATIZED I am selling the Aurora. But it's not from him. It's a from me to me present and so it falls completely out of the "hubs gets a vote on this" category that nearly EVERY other diamond piece I own falls into. Poor guy.

ETA: That sounds like I'm enjoying his trauma. I'm not. It's just funny cause he's trying so HARD to be supportive and HE KNOWS he doesn't get a vote... but he really doesn't get the selling a piece to fund another thing and he can not wrap his mind around the fact that this is okay.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1316270359|3019461 said:
Gemgirl... I know, right? Unfortunately owning both is not in the cards. As long as the Aurora gets a good home though, I'll be happy! Have you seen the AVR band??? I'd start stocking up on 40 pointers till I hit five or seven of those puppies!

Yenny... Thank you so much for the offer honey. But I'm very VERY consciously NOT looking for an old cut right now. I've got credit cards with mileage to burn and it would be a very bad and irresponsible thing to do to buy one on credit without having the funds to pay it off immediately. I have been lucky enough to pay for all my pieces up front, and want to do the same for this one. So... I have to wait till the Aurora sells. I may take it to Walnut Creek later today and see about consigning it at Spitz. They seem to get good traffic and turn around on their pre-owned pieces.

I promise I'll post the second it sells about an old cut... and then we can start the hunt! As for code. Can't think of any... do you know any PSers on FB or anything? If so, I would ask there. You could probably ask a PS vendor too as many know where it is.

Addy-- thank you ((hugs))

<<<Long breath>>>.......yes, I have seen the AVR band. Virtually at the moment it came out in fact, and all I could do is gaze at it thinking of David's description of Jon's stones. It's a snowflake, no it's a flower, no it's a snowflake, then thinking no, it's antique star. Whatever they remind me of at the time? They're beautiful! You can get lost inside those stones just trying to figure out what the facet pattern looks like! I saw Jon's AVC band and was bold enough to say to him, no, I'll wait for the AVR version to come out (not knowing that there *was* an AVR band in the works) and sure enough, GOR-Geous! Then Deb's ring...... you know eventually, I might go that way. I always wanted a three stone.

I live dangerously close to GOG but one of these days, I'm going to get into the car and go over there and have an up close and personal look for myself. Then it will all be over for my budget. I have been avoiding seeing them in person, if you know what I mean........

I should have been born rich.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
what stands out in this thread for me is gypsy's comment that the ring just wasn't her....she wanted it to be her but it isn't. it takes a really honest person to admit that her beautiful ring just isn't her and to commit to moving on. congrats, gypsy!

i love both the pictures you posted........they are both worth being commited to saving for.......i like the 2nd one a bit more because it is unusual.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Where is it posted for sale? Can that be mentioned?

cheers--Sharon

slg47

Ideal_Rock
it's at the site we are not supposed to talk about...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1316279387|3019522 said:
HI:

Where is it posted for sale? Can that be mentioned?

cheers--Sharon

I did my best to give a google term to use in my above post.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Addy, I'll start hunting! Gypsy, when you're ready, let me know. I don't buy stuff on credit either, so kudos to you for being patient!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, Gypsy, I'm surprised you're selling your ring. I love it and I wish I could take it off your hands for you.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Mwahaha, welcome to the dark side! :devil: We has sparkle here. Lots of big chunky fiery sparkle!

Honestly, I too have sold stuff that wasn't "me" and not regretted it one. little. bit. That 2 ct transitional cut I had? Never wore it. I wore my 1.22 ct OEC every day instead. I'd put it on sometimes, and midway through the day swap back. And then be like ... OMG there's the fire I missed! So, even though I got an insanely good deal on it... I sold it without remorse. And it went *fast*, and I even made a profit. I get to see it on the customer's hand every so often when she comes in to shop and I never even have a twinge of missing it. So yeah, sometimes selling things you WISH worked, and just don't, is perfect and feels *good*. I hope parting with the Aurora will be similarly liberating. I suspect you will fall so hard for a nice big OEC

Aaaaand then, there's times you kick yourself. I sold my 4-5 ct platinum tennis bracelet and immediately started missing it, and perusing ebay for another. Sad! ;( Still, I didn't *lose* money selling it, so if I have to save up & replace it... I will. However in your case, I think even if you miss your Aurora occasionally, you'll be able to console yourself by looking at that nice, big OEC! :bigsmile:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemgirl|1316263968|3019422 said:

Oh, that first one. Wow.......... can't breathe, it made me gasp. So beautiful.

Oh can't we have both? Why not????????

oh my gosh!!! Me too! That is amazing!

I would also love that with the french cuts replacing the baguettes and going all the way around the band! OMG! love love love

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I support your choice and hope you get your old cut fix. I traded my ering 3 times before I got married but with my old cut I'm exactly where I want to be. Old cuts are just "me" and I think they are "you" too.

I have a question, when you say they are "5 fully upgradable stones" have you by chance checked with BGD to see if they honor that policy for someone who is not the original owner? Only asking out of curiosity because I just bought a second hand BGD on ebay and it would be cool to have the option of trade in (though right now at these prices I don't feel like it would be worth it).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results