Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

I've done it again! Found my black opal!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
889
So to recap I've been looking for a black opal to set with my pallasite peridot. I was planning/hoping to look quietly for a good few months and purchase at least mid if not at the end of this year.

Well.....We're still in Jan and I've just brought my opal :lol: :wall: :dance: :naughty: (the range of emotions I'm feeling)

I saw it. I loved it. I needed it. The rest is history. Ish.

I havnt received it yet and I'm fully prepared to send it back if it disapoints.

Here it is! :appl:

Photo in shade of daylight

screenshot_2016-01-22-12-58-43-1.png
 

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
10,040
Oooh... Based on this pic I :love: this stone.
Fingers crossed that it is as beautiful in real life. Where did you source the stone?
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
889
Thank you Acinom I really do love it. I umm'd and aaah'd over it for a couple of weeks actually because there was 1 other one that I really loved too but it was a completely different pattern. In the end I stuck to what my heart wants (Blue green pin fire) over what my brain wanted (more colours and not pin fire pattern just for the value of the stone).

Plus this one completely reminds me of space which is what I had to keep reminding myself. I'm defo going back for a ring stone though sometime in the future I hope (and will go for more colours in that stone). I got this from Justin at black opal direct...He was incredibly patient with my million questions and very very helpful. He obliged every pic request I asked for and jus generally had so much patience with me. Cannot recommend him enough.
 

niter

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 14, 2015
Messages
61
Beautiful stone. I cannot wait to see how it turns out. Thank you for the recommendations as I am looking for opals as well...though I have been sidetracked by other projects so who knows when I will get there. :wall:
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
889
Thanks niter. I know that feeling...

Anyone have any input/answers to my questions re the pendant design? Esp how much will it cost roughly and should I try and source the t sav meelee myself? What is a good size?!
 

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 3, 2014
Messages
166
Well done theredspinel!
That is a beautiful black opal you have bought! Justin is great too as I have bought rough parcels from him to cut. I am also quite partial to blue greens opals. Can't wait to see your finished creation!
AJ
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,173
theredspinel|1453468127|3979618 said:
I saw it. I loved it. I needed it. The rest is history.
That's happend to me too. :bigsmile:

That is a stunning opal! :love:
I love it! :cheeky:
 

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 27, 2015
Messages
581
redspinel I really love your opal and your enthusiasm and your ideas. I like the first pendant idea. I have an idea brewing. I'll try to sketch it and post later
 

jordyonbass

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joined
Dec 6, 2014
Messages
1,809
Love this opal!! I was going to wait a bit with getting rough black opal for my club but after seeing this stone I think I may be getting it sooner rather than later :naughty:

Can't wait to see it with the Peridot, they're both stones I am quite partial to at the moment :bigsmile:
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
889
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your appreciation :D

Can't wait for your sketch sungura, thanks for taking the time!

Kenny, because I'm ocd when I get 'into' a certain gem, I read a really old thread (from years ago) where you wanted to get an opal. Did you ever get it?!

Anyone have have ideas who would be good for making this pendant? Considering these are both incredibly precious/irraplacable stones (esp the peridot) but also very soft..and prone to breaking.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,173
theredspinel|1453571508|3980298 said:
Kenny, because I'm ocd when I get 'into' a certain gem, I read a really old thread (from years ago) where you wanted to get an opal. Did you ever get it?!
Not yet, and I don't need another ring darn it, but thanks to this thread I'm remotely considering it again.
Last night I searched blackopaldirect inventory and watched several Youtube videos/documentaries about mining opals in AU.
Fascinating!!!

I LOVE what a good opal can do with light.
It rivals diamond.

I'd want a very small small black opal, 4 or 5mm.
I would not feel comfortable wearing anything larger.
I'd want top color, which to me is jet-black potch and the colors that are the brightest.
I just can't decide on the pattern style, color palette and where to buy it.
The blue-green combo is very very tempting, but also some reds, yellows and oranges that turn on and off would be sublime.
I'd have it set into a low-profile simple sterling silver ring.

Is opalauctions reputable? ... as in when they say it's natural, it is really natural ... can you believe it really is from Lightning Ridge if they say so?
Sure all that matters is the gem itself and a top quality opal may come from a less prestigous location ... but if they claim it's from Lightning Ridge (when it is not) you're overpaying ... much as with a sapphire claimed to be from Kashmir.

Is opalauctions one vendor or a marketplace of many vendors like eBay?

What other opal vendors would have a selection of top quality but tiny opals?

It's hard for me to trust and buy a gem with no grading report.

Sorry, I've threadjacked your thread ... but your question got me started. :Up_to_something:
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,173
jordyonbass|1453526882|3980108 said:
Love this opal!! I was going to wait a bit with getting rough black opal for my club but after seeing this stone I think I may be getting it sooner rather than later :naughty:
Getting an opal for 'your club'?
What club?

A club as in a club of people, or this kind of club?

screen_shot_2016-01-23_at_11.png
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
889
kenny|1453574511|3980332 said:
theredspinel|1453571508|3980298 said:
Kenny, because I'm ocd when I get 'into' a certain gem, I read a really old thread (from years ago) where you wanted to get an opal. Did you ever get it?!
Not yet, and I don't need another ring darn it, but thanks to this thread I'm remotely considering it again.
Last night I searched blackopaldirect inventory and watched several Youtube videos/documentaries about mining opals in AU.
Fascinating!!!

I LOVE what a good opal can do with light.
It rivals diamond.

I'd want a very small small black opal, 4 or 5mm.
I would not feel comfortable wearing anything larger.
I'd want top color, which to me is jet-black potch and the colors that are the brightest.
I just can't decide on the pattern style, color palette and where to buy it.
The blue-green combo is very very tempting, but also some reds, yellows and oranges that turn on and off would be sublime.
I'd have it set into a low-profile simple sterling silver ring.

Is opalauctions reputable? ... as in when they say it's natural, it is really natural ... can you believe it really is from Lightning Ridge if they say so?
Sure all that matters is the gem itself and a top quality opal may come from a less prestigous location ... but if they claim it's from Lightning Ridge (when it is not) you're overpaying ... much as with a sapphire claimed to be from Kashmir.

Is opalauctions one vendor or a marketplace of many vendors like eBay?

What other opal vendors would have a selection of top quality but tiny opals?

It's hard for me to trust and buy a gem with no grading report.

Sorry, I've threadjacked your thread ... but your question got me started. :Up_to_something:
No problem ask away! I first saw a black opal (on the net) about 3 years ago and dreamed of owning one ever since.

Re opalauctions it's a market place. So you still have to check out the specific vendor. I had the exact same worries as you about who to trust and I ended up with my one I've jus brought from, after my research. You do need to just dig and dig and dig around on the Internet for a good time to make yourself aware...

One potential (quite lively on the net) vendor I was researching... seemed so promising until I found a post from the guy (although I can't prove it) from about 7 years ago on a random cutters forum and I saw a side of him that didn't fill me with confidence in his honesty. It can be sad but with an online business trust is everything and that thing from that long ago just put me off wanting to do business with him. So do your research and trust your gut.

Btw black opal direct gives you the option of buying a grading report if you want to.

Lastly, one opal I was considering (perfect in terms of numbers on paper, this one above is mid range) I realised I was really bothered by the yellow in it. Turns out I don't like yellow in a black opal so much. It was only a tiny speck but it really bugged me :lol:

I love the green and blue ones but I also love the reds. Don't like rolling flash so much, nor harlequin. My preferred are actually the cheaper pin fire or moss patterns.
 

jordyonbass

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joined
Dec 6, 2014
Messages
1,809
kenny|1453576075|3980340 said:
jordyonbass|1453526882|3980108 said:
Love this opal!! I was going to wait a bit with getting rough black opal for my club but after seeing this stone I think I may be getting it sooner rather than later :naughty:
Getting an opal for 'your club'?
What club?

A club as in a club of people, or this kind of club?
Hahaha!!!

I go to a lapidary club and cut cabochons for fun Kenny, I've been seeing lots of Black Opal lately and it's giving me the urge to get some rough. Although I do have the other style of club too :lol:
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,173
Buying rough to polish yourself!
How cool!
... but a bit scary/risky too.

I watched a video of Justin at blackopalsdirect polishing one (and another video on Youtube) and it blew my mind.
Unlike a transparent gem there's no way to be sure what is inside to plan the cut.
Obviously you polish off all the skin, then decide which side will be top and potch/bottom.

But then you're not sure when/where to stop polishing because it is opaque.
The best material may be deep inside, but you would never know unless you polished away more weight/size.
If so you could take a gamble and leave it heavy, or hope better material is inside and keep polishing away.
But what if the material inside is worse than the material you've already polished away? :knockout: ;(

I don't know if I'd have the nerve for that.

Perhaps with enough experience you'd somehow be able to recognize what's on the inside by looking at the outside.
 

jordyonbass

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joined
Dec 6, 2014
Messages
1,809
It is a bit of a gamble but that's how it goes with Opals. A rough of x amount may yield a stone that's worth from 3 - 10x the initial cost, it just depends on what is there and what you can get out of it (although none of my stones are for sale, it's purely a hobby for me). There are some beginners packages that Justin from Black Opal Direct sells which I'm looking at first, there's also Opal rub packages where he has removed the top and rubbed the side of the color bar so people have an idea of what it may look like when finished.
I'm leaning towards rough nobby beginner stones though.

I also recommend Justin from BOD if you want a Black Opal Kenny, he's one of the most helpful people I've met in business let alone the gem industry. I've bought some lapidary supplies and asked him a few questions about cutting opals and he's been quick to respond and very forward with information, some of the stones he has on his website are phenomenal and he will most likely have a video of it on his Youtube channel
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,173
jordyonbass|1453588296|3980437 said:
It is a bit of a gamble but that's how it goes with Opals. A rough of x amount may yield a stone that's worth from 3 - 10x the initial cost,
But But But ...

I'm surprised you started the range at 3x.
It's never 1x or 0x as in being worth nothing because you paid $800 but polished away the only good part?

And when you say worth ... is that like 'worth' with diamonds where a private party can only expect 50 to 70% of what a retailer would get, which is only 65% of what those wacky appraisers appraise it at?
 

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 3, 2014
Messages
166
I LOVE cutting opal due to the surprise factor. You never really know what is going to show up until you reach the colour bar. You can get an amazing chinese writing pattern or on the other hand the bar might be nice and bright from the side but once you face the stone, the colour does not show to well (Mintabie material is a bit renowned for this however top stuff can come from there). Then there is sand! The bane of opal cutting. I could go on forever. Love the stuff!
 

niter

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 14, 2015
Messages
61
theredspinel|1453502539|3979948 said:
Thanks niter. I know that feeling...

Anyone have any input/answers to my questions re the pendant design? Esp how much will it cost roughly and should I try and source the t sav meelee myself? What is a good size?!
Yvonne Raley is a great source for melee. What type of melee do you want? Also, do you have the peridot in hand or are you looking for one of that size? I am looking forward to seeing how this project turns out :)
 

jordyonbass

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joined
Dec 6, 2014
Messages
1,809
kenny|1453590234|3980458 said:
jordyonbass|1453588296|3980437 said:
It is a bit of a gamble but that's how it goes with Opals. A rough of x amount may yield a stone that's worth from 3 - 10x the initial cost,
But But But ...

I'm surprised you started the range at 3x.
It's never 1x or 0x as in being worth nothing because you paid $800 but polished away the only good part?

And when you say worth ... is that like 'worth' with diamonds where a private party can only expect 50 to 70% of what a retailer would get, which is only 65% of what those wacky appraisers appraise it at?
It's more or less a guesstimate on what a cutter may get back on a stone that is sellable, I probably should have been a little clearer on that (my bad). It's not known what the pattern may look like and you're right, a buffoon like me could completely destroy the color bar and have just a potch layer for making a doublet.

My numbers were more or less based off the instances I know of where people in my lapidary club have bought, cut and sold Black Opal (mostly the oldies who are now retired and want to teach young hobbyists like myself). It's by no means some kind on industry standard.
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
889
niter|1453593432|3980480 said:
theredspinel|1453502539|3979948 said:
Thanks niter. I know that feeling...

Anyone have any input/answers to my questions re the pendant design? Esp how much will it cost roughly and should I try and source the t sav meelee myself? What is a good size?!
Yvonne Raley is a great source for melee. What type of melee do you want? Also, do you have the peridot in hand or are you looking for one of that size? I am looking forward to seeing how this project turns out :)

I already have the peridot. It's a tiiiny itty bitty baby of a gem. It's from a meteroite so other then the fact they are usually always small (whatever doesn't fracture upon impact is then faceted into a gem) bottom line I couldn't afford even 0.2 size bigger due to cost :lol:

However I love it because I love anything space and this is my alien baby. Hence looking for a black opal that reminded me of space too.

I want tsavourite meelee...but I don't know how many I will need and what size. Also would I be able to save money providing it myself or more cost productive to leave it to the jeweller?
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
889
kenny|1453593081|3980477 said:
theredspinel, is it your opal that Justin is polishing in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCPakRgI_kI

Before much polishing ...


Nearly finished ...
:D
Unfortunately no. That is the opal that introduced me to Justin and led me to plead with my hubby to let me put a down payment on it right there and then. He said no :cry: :o

Actually he did worse then saying no, he detailed to me if I brought that opal exactly how long I'd be broke for...evil!

So that opal is still up for sale on the site. However my opal does kinda look like it exactly as much as opals can look alike (which is not much) except mine is smaller hence being in my budget.
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,365
If you want high karat gold (18K to 22K) and a vendor that can also source all sorts of melees, do consider Sally from Heart of Water.
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
889
Ah I didn't think of her, thank you Chrono! I know this is such a pointless question but roughly how much do you think the pendant I have in mind will cost?
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,173
theredspinel|1453718571|3981060 said:
kenny|1453593081|3980477 said:
theredspinel, is it your opal that Justin is polishing in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCPakRgI_kI

Before much polishing ...


Nearly finished ...
:D
Unfortunately no. That is the opal that introduced me to Justin and led me to plead with my hubby to let me put a down payment on it right there and then. He said no :cry: :o

Actually he did worse then saying no, he detailed to me if I brought that opal exactly how long I'd be broke for...evil!

So that opal is still up for sale on the site. However my opal does kinda look like it exactly as much as opals can look alike (which is not much) except mine is smaller hence being in my budget.
Thanks.
I looked for it but couldn't find it. ;(
Justin could use a more-robust search engine with more parameters to specify.

If it's still for sale, could you please post a link to it?
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,173
Thank you. :wavey:
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top