shape
carat
color
clarity

I've been keeping a secret...My BGD Tapered Tiffany setting!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, I've held onto that secret for a couple weeks now! I have a set stone again! And IT.IS.GLORIOUS.

As you might recall, an unfortunate side effect of my recent car accident was that my rings got damaged. My hands, thankfully, did not get injured, but my rings did. I sent my wedding band in to Tiffany, and they were able to repair it very well, and for a reasonable (actually, for a ridiculously reasonable) fee. I had it back in two weeks and it looked brand new!

My engagement ring setting was a different story. It was warped beyond repair, out of round, and flat on one side. Photos were not helpful in showing what that thing really looked like in person because you couldn't see the damage in a photo like you could in person. The damage was due to the combination of me squeezing my hands tightly around the wheel and the force of the impact. Because of the extent of the damage, I had to make a claim on my jewelry insurance on the setting portion. Chubb handled it perfectly, and I had the spectacular diamond vendor and jeweler Good Old Gold, where I've purchased this stone and other diamonds, inspect the stone to confirm it was, in fact, in perfect condition. Since the inscription was nowhere to be found, I had a major panic about that. My inspection at home indicated it was OK beyond that, but I wanted the pros to confirm it against the data they had on file. HUGE Thanks to Jon and Marie for helping me with that, and calming down the crazy.

Since I hadn't planned on a reset, and likewise I had not been looking for anything. I mean, I hardly wear my stuff, so why would I look for things?! I "needed a minute" to accept this, the totaled car, and was still walking funny... and wanted to focus on my stone being ok first and get my car handled. So post-inspection from Good Old Gold (their new website design is spectacular, BTW), I locked my stone up for a little while in the safe deposit box and set off looking for a replacement. As much as I love Good Old Gold, I didn't find anything I loved-loved there and wasn't interested in going custom, since I've just not had any good luck in that department in the past, with anyone. I didn't want that stress, even with a vendor I trusted implicitly. Mark Morrell was a top choice through them, however it would've been custom to make it how I wanted it, and to go custom with him would've well exceeded the price point I was comfortable with for a solitaire. Someday I will own a MWM...Some.Day.

All I really knew is that I wanted something simple and clean, and something that would work with any band, especially (preferably) my current ones. As I was making a list and hammering through it, I contacted several manufacturers and jewelers, local and afar, about various pieces to see if a band could be narrowed or a stone could be set higher than shown. Little tweaks, I thought. I usually met with a lot of resistance: "It is how it is." That Jaffe was among those "it is how it is" settings. The list I had made got shorter really quickly. I was getting mightily frustrated and at one point considered selling my stone and just not having an engagement ring at all. I mean, how often do I really wear these things? I know...blasphemous!

I worked with Brian Gavin Diamonds on my Bezel Set Studs (seen here) earlier in the year, and was ridiculously pleased with them, I've even worn them several times! That's a record! My brother and new sister-in-law actually went through BGD for her new wedding bands, also bezel set. I poked through their setting options a number of times, and kept going back to the Tapered Tiffany Half-Round Setting. I figured it might go pretty well with my Tiffany wedding band, so it made the top of my list. This style of setting is pretty common, in general and on the boards. There are some exquisite recreations, and some less-than-exquisite attempts. From the photos I'd seen online, Brian Gavin Diamonds has repeatedly crafted this setting, in several iterations, very well.

My stone had been loose in the safe for quite some time at that point, and I was dying to have a wearable ring again. I'd find myself going through the Forum Ering and Celebrity Ering folders over and over, and looking through bridal magazines for e-rings all the time, just to gawk. Like, with alarming frequency. I'd ask my brides about their rings, almost creepily. After a lot of hemming and hawwing and obsessing...a lot of debating, a lot of emails back and forth with Lesley, I finally made a decision and ordered the setting. Then in just over 2 weeks, I got word it was on its way back to me, and received the "glamour shots." It looked amazing, though set a little lower than I would have preferred. When I received it, the height was of concern, but it was otherwise pretty spectacular.

In communicating this with the folks at Brian Gavin Diamonds, we were able to get the ring back to them immediately and have it rectified to my satisfaction. Since we were dealing with a holiday, and the holiday proposal timelines, I felt kind of bad for having this happen, not just to appease my OCD, but because I did not want to mess up someone's proposal. But because they wanted 100 percent satisfaction and knew they were dealing with my picky perfectionism, they got it done quickly and wonderfully, and did not mess up anyone's timelines to do so. And it's just right. The height is absolutely bang on. Brian even took a great photo that probably required some gymnastics to get, just so he could show me where the culet "landed" in the setting, which is exactly where I wanted it based on our discussions of what is safely still high enough for my liking. This really is perfect height for this setting.

After all that--here's the first round of photos! Gird your loins!

accordingtoame_briangavin_tiffany_nologo_4b.jpg

accordingtoame_briangavin_tiffany_nologo1b.jpg

accordingtoame_briangavin_tiffany_nologo2b.jpg

accordingtoame_briangavin_tiffany_nologo3b.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: I've been keeping a secret...My BGD Tapered Tiffany sett

More talking!

The shank is really delicate. I was actually surprised at this, for some reason. I was somehow concerned it would be "too wide" at some point, despite knowing the actual measurements didn't exceed 2mm. The tapered area plus the knife-edge really make the stone pop. The knife-edge doesn't go between the fingers at all, with the rest softly half round.

More photos!

accordingtoame_bgdring_details2.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_details4.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_details5.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_details6.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Few more:

accordingtoame_bgdring_details8.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_greatfire.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_handshot_sideview.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_handshot_sideview2.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

More talking!

It goes very well with my bands, as I expected, though if I am honest, to me my bands look clunky now beside it's delicate beauty. (hah!) I am actually awaiting a 1.5mm "spacer" from Jeweler on the Roof via Etsy to replace the 2mm plain band, which I think is a bit tall and "clunky" looking with this super delicate setting. I am still lusting like crazy over the BGD Fishtail Pave band, and JBG has a Kwiat that actually used to belong to a friend that is at a great deal and is very similar that might work as well, though it's full eternity and that is a little nerve-wracking for me. Oh the possibilities.

More photos!

accordingtoame_bgdring_handshot_threerings.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_handshot_threerings_sideangle.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_handshot_justplain.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_handshot_justplainside.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

One of the amazing little details about this ring, is that the BGD logo is laser engraved inside the shank. I noticed it in the photos and was impressed, but in person it's really a nice touch. It is small, super crisp and very well done. It's also off to the side in the shank in a manner that would not interfere with resizing or sizing beads, which I appreciate. Lots of forethought there.

The shot Brian sent to show the culet location (I thought I uploaded this but I didn't!)...

accordingtoame_bgdring_details.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_in_tiffs_box.jpg

accordingtoamebriangavin_tiffany5_nologo.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

More talking!

Since I've purchased from Brian Gavin Diamonds before, I knew their presentation was pretty incredible. And this was even beyond the presentation of my first purchase. The packaging (y'know, ignoring the FedEx required boxes), is in-credible. I have not done business with a single other jeweler that does it this nicely, even local brick and mortar stores. Tiffany has some pretty memorable boxes, obviously, but the whole Brian Gavin presentation is just...wow. Obviously in my line of work, that's something to which I pay great attention. I've designed plenty of packaging in my career and this made me say "WOW!" out loud several times. Have I said WOW enough?

When you get the package, the box is tied in a bow, and then you untie the bow and slide the little inside box out. Bubble wrap is holding the ring down inside. A little plastic "Brian Gavin" tag is tied with a gray thread to the ring, like a fancy jewelry store would do with a designer piece. That tag is placed on top of the bubble wrap so when you slide that box out you see it. It's spectacularly presented. I am not normally a fan of open-topped boxes, but this is a very nice box.

More photos!

accordingtoame_bgdboxwrapped2.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_packaging.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdbox_unwrapped2_ring.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdboxpackaging2.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

More

accordingtoame_bgdring_bgdpouch.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdwringunwrapped3.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdwringunwrapped5.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I went to lunch with a friend recently, and had the chance to stop in the local Tiffany store, where we were given a robin's egg blue candy cane...I used it as a prop in a few of the images. The sales girl offered to clean my rings...that to me was a testament to the quality of workmanship AND the design being awfully consistent with the classic Tiffany solitaire design. I was pleased that it was convincing. Even though my band IS Tiffany, I thanked her for the offer, but politely declined.

accordingtoame_bgdring_tiffanycandycane1.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_tiffanycandycane2.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdwring_0.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdwring_gift.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ame
Congrats, beautiful ring!.. :love: :appl: from now on you must wear it every day!. That's a PS rule .. ;))

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Side view of my ering and just Tiffany band for reference:

And Ill finish off with few fun fire shots since we finally got some sun on Christmas Day (talk about a perfect day for me--sunny and 55 degrees!). We have more sun today but it's a balmy 17 degrees... :errrr:

accordingtoame_bgdring_sunnyhandshots_full_hand.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_handshot_threerings5.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_handshot_tiffband2.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_handshot_tiffbandside.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

And this last one where the fire snuck out the bottom by the donut!

Hope you all enjoyed!

DF I have worn it all of about 4 hours total...lol :doh:

accordingtoame_bgdring_sunnyhandshots1.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_sunnyhandshots12.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_sunnyhandshots14.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_sneakyfire.jpg

kitsunegrl

Rough_Rock

Your new ring is so beautiful, a testament to just how stellar a solitaire can be! I hope it brings you much joy!

I am so impressed with BGD in every regard. Even my DH was eyeballing my presentation box. He does some close up magic...I told him he could have the next box. Hint, hint! Lol

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

kitsunegrl|1420046744|3810066 said:
Your new ring is so beautiful, a testament to just how stellar a solitaire can be! I hope it brings you much joy!

I am so impressed with BGD in every regard. Even my DH was eyeballing my presentation box. He does some close up magic...I told him he could have the next box. Hint, hint! Lol
lol! Looking forward to seeing the contents of said next box ;-)

Thank you! :wavey:

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock

Absolutely beautiful and perfect! What a great way to start the new year.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Your solitaire looks perfect in every way. Amazing set :appl:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thank you! Blinging in the new year!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AME I'm so glad to see you so pleased with your set. I've always hoped that one day you would have what you want and be satisfied with the workmanship. I think it looks perfect for a solitaire set and I like it best with one band or the other, either all metal or just with the channel set band. It really lets the gorgeous diamond shine and looks perfectly proportional on your hand. I see more bands in your future for sure!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AME you set is beautiful!!! :appl: So glad you were able to find exactly what you wanted. I think that band at JbG would be super fabulous :Up_to_something:. Happy New Year!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous Ame!!!! I am so thrilled that you are finally happy with your ring. It's such a beautiful and elegant solitaire. Your stone shines in this ring. Brian Gavin nailed it again with this ring.

portia

Brilliant_Rock

So elegant! Love it with your bands. Beautiful!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Asscherhalo_lover|1420048204|3810080 said:
AME I'm so glad to see you so pleased with your set. I've always hoped that one day you would have what you want and be satisfied with the workmanship. I think it looks perfect for a solitaire set and I like it best with one band or the other, either all metal or just with the channel set band. It really lets the gorgeous diamond shine and looks perfectly proportional on your hand. I see more bands in your future for sure!
Thank you! Yea I am hoping the 1.5mm band works well. If not Ill go with a 1mm and wear the diamond band with it. I am "used to" and happy with the 3 band look so I am working on what I will do. I don't want to just wear the e ring alone but my bands just look so...INFERIOR now lol

Mayk|1420049416|3810087 said:
AME you set is beautiful!!! :appl: So glad you were able to find exactly what you wanted. I think that band at JbG would be super fabulous :Up_to_something:. Happy New Year!
Thank you, enabler ;-)

Acinom|1420050212|3810101 said:
Gorgeous Ame!!!! I am so thrilled that you are finally happy with your ring. It's such a beautiful and elegant solitaire. Your stone shines in this ring. Brian Gavin nailed it again with this ring.
Sure did, thank you! Now I just have to wear my rings...

portia|1420054856|3810126 said:
So elegant! Love it with your bands. Beautiful!
Thank you!!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock

Bravo! Bravo!
Your engagement ring and accompanying wedding bands are spectacular! :appl: I love, love, love it! :love:
It looks beautiful on your hand!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ame, I love it! You are right, the presentation is fabulous! In the whole scheme of things, it is probably the least important detail, but it makes a huge impression on me. I have been known to chose something just because the presentation is so awesome, and I tend to save all the little bits that makes it so.

I hope you will wear your new rings often now. The thing that makes a solitaire so appealing to me, aside from the aesthetics, is the fact that you can wear it without worry. Although you wouldn't want to have to replace the setting, but should something happen to it, you are not shelling out another huge sum of cash to replace it. That give me a great deal of peace of mind. Your whole set looks lovely on your hand! I am so happy for you that you were able to finally find something that ticks all the boxes for you and hopefully now the car accident can be truly put behind you for 2015!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yay, Ame!!! I am so happy that you FINALLY got a setting that you love! It is beautifully made! :love: :love: :love: I love it with the Tiffany band and think it will look great with a slightly smaller band in between!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
CRYSTAL24K said:
Bravo! Bravo!
Your engagement ring and accompanying wedding bands are spectacular! :appl: I love, love, love it! :love:
It looks beautiful on your hand!
thanks! It's quite amazing!

And obviously now you have some resource for this specific setting ;-)

luv2sparkle said:
Ame, I love it! You are right, the presentation is fabulous! In the whole scheme of things, it is probably the least important detail, but it makes a huge impression on me. I have been known to chose something just because the presentation is so awesome, and I tend to save all the little bits that makes it so.

I hope you will wear your new rings often now. The thing that makes a solitaire so appealing to me, aside from the aesthetics, is the fact that you can wear it without worry. Although you wouldn't want to have to replace the setting, but should something happen to it, you are not shelling out another huge sum of cash to replace it. That give me a great deal of peace of mind. Your whole set looks lovely on your hand! I am so happy for you that you were able to finally find something that ticks all the boxes for you and hopefully now the car accident can be truly put behind you for 2015!
Thank you! Yes it is finally going to be put to bed. I am ready for 2014 to be done!

I hope I wear them more often than I normally do anyway haha! But it does tick all the boxes and I think and hope I'm finally done! Other than extra fun bits and bobs yknow...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006 said:
Yay, Ame!!! I am so happy that you FINALLY got a setting that you love! It is beautifully made! :love: :love: :love: I love it with the Tiffany band and think it will look great with a slightly smaller band in between!
thank you! That is also my hope. I waffled on the 1 and 1.5 but I think it's gonna be a good match. I'll know next week!

So glad everyone is loving the photos!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock

It's a fabulously beautiful ring!! Congratulations to both you and to BGD for nailing it and having wonderful customer service. I do love the open box presentation, documented through your wonderful pictures.

I hope you'll update the thread with pics when you get the new spacer band.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I definitely will!!! And thank you so much! I am definitely pleased and the presentation elevated the whole experience.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock

AME- Your set is really persuading me to go this route. It is just divine. I am really pleased that you have it and love it, especially because of everything you went through.

BUT, yes, I am also glad that you posted all of the pics of your fantastic set because it makes it easier for me to make a decision regarding my reset!

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of your 1.5 mm band also- LOL.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

FAN-TAB-U-LOUS!!! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results