shape
carat
color
clarity

IUDs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I''m getting a copper IUD today, and I''m starting to have 2nd thoughts. Anyone else have one? Idiot that I am, I read some horror stories on the internet, and now I''m amped up to a severe level of anxiety. Didn''t help that I had IUD insertion nightmares all last night.

I''m on the pill right now, with no large side effects and a lighter period. I liked the idea, however, of getting off of hormones, of not having to remember the pill every day, and of having a higher rate of effectiveness (I still get pregnancy paranoia on the pill).

Is it really that bad? I feel jack diddly when I get a pap smear, and people always describe those as uncomfortable, so maybe the insertion won''t be so bad either?

Halp! I''m freaking out here...5 hours until appointment time.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
People with bad experiences always write about it all over the internet! It''s very skewed, don''t forget that. I always forget and end up scaring the crap out of myself.

I''ve personally heard more good stories than bad about IUDs. If I had to guess, it will hurt somewhat, and then you''ll be fine in a day or two. Birth control has such different effects from person to person, and the only way to know is to try. If it''s awful, you can always remove it. Likely.. it''ll work out well for you after you get adjusted to it.

I know the copper ones makes period heavier, but on the plus side of course, they''re hormone free!

Good luck!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Aloros! Did you search here? I know a few of us have them but I am not sure who has copper vs. mirena. I have the mirena, and I like it a lot for the most part. Placing it is not too awful, so don''t worry too much! Just lay with a heating pad and watch TV when you get home...that''s what I did!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I've got Mirena as well, and I *LOVE* it. I can't say enough good things about it. Seriously.

Yes, getting it put in was uncomfortable (I posted my experience on here somewhere, I'll find the link for you in a minute). The next few days were weird - I could feel it in there, and I was not a happy camper. My first period was pretty bad, cramps-wise (suddenly there was something to cramp around) and went on forever. After that, nothing. No period, no cramps, no stress, no paranoia. I do still get PMSy, which is kind of weird. But oh well.

I'm in loooooooooooove.

ETA: Here you go!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the mirena, and my Dr. asked me which ones I preferred, I was like hmm? because I hadn''t researched fully, and besides that I only wanted one that would last about five years or less. I hear that the copper ones were good for 10 years? not sure if that mattered to you or not. I did have complications with the insertion and had it done twice though, as the first time, it was two months post c-section and i was still recovering but dr. didn''t insert correctly (whew! at least no pregnancy- I knew it felt a little strange -something poking me) went back and sure enough it was misplaced, then had to wait another 30 days just because I started to have second thoughts. Anyways, my doctor said just to take a couple of ibuprofen beforhand. it just feels like a bit of cramping afterwards.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had one. The Paraguard. It was TERRIBLE. My TOTM was so heavy that for the first day, I could not leave the house. I kid you not. TMI - but I would have to change my super Tamp EVERY HOUR. YES, every hour.

Then after having it for one year plus, while it was STILL in place, I became pregnant. This was long after having my two kids. I miscarried.

Insertion doesn't hurt. Take a few ibepropen (sp?) to help out.

ETA - agreed that most post bad experiences - the risk of preg while it's still in place is something like one out of either 500 or 1,000.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I got the Mirena back in April this year. The doc didn''t really like the copper ones, she thought I''d be happier with this one. Insertion was fine, no problems there (I did it on my lunch break and went back to work the rest of the day). A week later I started spotting, and then spotted light-med for about 6 weeks. I''ve had 2 regular type perios now, the first really light, the second more normal. So far I like it, no side effects other than that bout of spotting, and it''s nice not to have to remember a pill everyday!

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies! I felt WAY better.

Got it put in, and it wasn''t nearly as bad as I thought it might be. It was more an "ow ow ow" sensation as opposed to an "OW!" one. Lying at home now, a little crampy, but ok. Thanks again!

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
It all depends on the woman honestly. Some don''t react to IUD''s well at all, just as others don''t react well to the pill. I got my Mirena in January of 2007 and have had no issues at all. Insertion felt odd but not painful and I went back to work after my appointment. Felt like mild cramps the rest of the day. The next day I felt nothing and haven''t felt anything since. Although they prefer placing IUD''s in women who have already had a child, I have not and it hasn''t made a difference.

My first period with it was very, very light and after that it stopped. Last year I had another light one, more like spotting that barely stained a panty liner. I love it and from all I''ve read it''s more effective than the pill.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
From what I have read, the IUD is the birth control method that most female health providers prefer, so that seems like a ringing endorsement to me. However, my girlfriend had one put in a couple of years ago, but then she had them take it out after a few weeks because she said that she could feel it "poking through her cervix." Don''t know if that''s actually true or possible, but that''s how she described it. It was also shortly after she gave birth to twins, so I don''t know if that could have had anything to do with it (probably not).

Try to ignore most of what you read on the internet. I think that generally when people have good experiences, they don''t feel the need to share like they do about bad experiences. Besides, a lot of the bad things that happened with the IUDs were back in the 60s and 70s. I will mention that my aunt got an IUD in the early 70s that ended up infected & left her sterile (that''s probably the type of scary thing you read online) however, that was over 35 years ago, and from what I understand, the IUDs these days are totally different from those old ones they had the problems with.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results