shape
carat
color
clarity

Itty bitty earrings on an itty bitty budget!

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
Hello all! :)) I have a little extra money coming my way in a few weeks (yay for 3-paycheck months!) and am hunting for my first pair of diamond earrings on a ~$400 budget.

My first thought was to go for a pair of BGD huggies (http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5413), but I could also manage a pair of ~0.35 ctw studs for a similar price (also from BGD). Does anyone have any input or recommendations? I'm not looking for anything over-the-top flashy (I'm a graduate student, for goodness' sake :errrr: ), but I do want the most sparkle for my dollar as well as something that I'll want to wear every day.

Thanks in advance!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
It's up to you whether you prefer the huggies or studs. But there was a recent thread about the huggies. Many of us own and love them. They are delicate (small), comfortable to wear yet blingy enough because the stones are sparkly. I wear mine 24/7. For me studs are not comfortable to sleep in and I am lazy when it comes to earrings. I put them in and that's the last time I want to think about them.

Studs from BGD would be lovely, too. Tough choice!!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I just got some .30ctw bezel studs from BGD and I love them. :love: I have my ears double pierced so I wear them every day. They're the perfect size to give me some blingy sparkle without looking really ostentatious on my 24 year old ears. :cheeky:

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I just received the huggies today and love them~ they are as comfortable as everybody said and beautiful. can't even feel them!

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm. Hard decision!

I have both hoops and studs. I think I prefer hoops, but I do not like sleeping in them. I often end up going out without them, because I am too lazy to go back upstairs and grab them!

So... I don't know :/ I think the hoops stand out more. A lot of people wear cz studs, and IMO they aren't as noticeable, because they (or at least cz versions) are so common. Huggies/hoops are larger too, so they *pop* more, IMO.

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
Thanks very much for the input, everyone!

iugurl, I tend to agree with you... I've always wanted a classic, timeless pair of studs, but I love that the huggies are less common and really very pretty! (and seem to provide more noticable sparkle surface area) My main concern was the same problem you have-- being too lazy to go and fetch them every time I go out. :lol: Beauty and bling come at a price, I guess!

Maybe I'll wait until I have a larger budget for a larger set of studs... :Up_to_something: Is it a general consensus that the BGD huggies are relatively comfortable to sleep in?

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
My very first pair of diamond studs was about the same size you are looking to get. It was a nice size to start out with and they now reside permanently in my second hole when I upgraded to bigger ones. If I did not have the second hole, however, I fear they would have been relegated to my jewelry box until I came up with some sort of other project to do with them. I would suggest getting the huggies. They are very blingy and different. If it were me, I'd save to get a great pair of studs that will be an investment piece. I have a set of huggies that is not by BGD but are a similar design and they are very comfortable to wear and sleep in.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hard decision, I find myself loving my huggies more. I don't have to keep track of the backing and fear of losing my earrings, I like one piece earrings and I am lazy as I do sleep in my earrings, studs seem to jab me in the head.

like these.. Found these on ebay estate, It is quite sparkly, you can do well on ebay ;)) for under $400 with a lot of sparkles I think and I've had my share of BGD and Whiteflash aca melees, these are are extremely sparkly. 3 points each.

ebayfinds%20005.jpg

My current studs are going getting a reset into a bezel leverbacks
like these. So I prefer huggies & Leverbacks.

http://www.stuller.com/products/20041/129618/?groupId=10517

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go for the BGD huggies, as a standalone pair of earrings they really seem to hold their own!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need a pair of those huggies! I just bought some little studs so I won't be getting any soon, especially since June is Fathers Day month!
(Rats!). I would go for the huggies too. I think it is more sparkle for your buck. The studs would be really really tiny. My vote is get
the huggies and save up for bigger studs!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
my thought is this.... you will probably need to double or triple the budget to get a pair of studs that will be a good "forever" pair. Like another poster said, after a while, you may find the .34cttw studs to be too small and crave bigger. The huggies on the other hand pack quite a sparkle and size for the cttw and size. I think if you are looking for a bling fiz now on the 400 budget, the huggies are the winner. If you are willing to wait a year or so and save and save, then maybe the studs are a go.

p.s. this thread got me wanting the huggies and I just ordered them! I saved 300 on hair/makeup for the wedding (costed less than I budgeted for and thought the huggies would be a nice wedding gift to myself :naughty: )

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Oooo, this is a tough one. Do you have multiple piercings? I have the BGD huggies and .25 ctw studs and love them both. If you have single holes I would go with the huggies. I searched pretty hard and couldn't find anything in that price range with that quality. You won't even know they're on, they're so comfortable. I slept in mine and wouldn't advise it; they get filthy and I bent one slightly. You'll be surprised that diamonds so small could sparkle so much. And the workmanship is amazing. I love to loupe mine to look at the prong work. Diamond studs aren't going away; you can always save for those later.

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
AmysBling, even though I have a while to go, that was my thought process too! :lol: I'm saving on save-the-dates/invites by making my own, and I mean, that money is hard-earned...

Texas, I used to have 2 holes, but one on one side is closed up, so I actually have... 3? 8) Maybe I'll have it reopened at some point because I love the look of huggies & studs!

I do think I'll go with the huggies! Thanks all for the advice!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results