carat
color
clarity

It's time, please help me find a 1.7 - 1.99 RB

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all!!!

*beware long post*

Joining this site a couple months ago has been invaluable! I believe we have our funds lined up and are able to make moves on a diamond... now. After attemping to see diamonds in person I feel like we may have to just use one of the trusted NY PS vendors and for my sake just make a trip down to see them (I also see GOG takes videos to compare which is great too - may not need to make the trip). Recommendations on who you recommend would be amazing. On to the stats:

Diamond preferences:Carat: 1.7 - 1.99ct Round brilliant (hoping for the higher end or a diamond that faces up well like an 8x8 stone)
Cut: excellent
Polish: excellent - very good
Symmetry: excellent - very good
Clarity: willing to go down to SI2 as long as the diamond is eye clean - i don't mind if i can see the inclusion with a loupe, just not with my eye by around 3-6 inches away -- also not opposed to an I1 if it's a well hidden inclusion like IDJ found someone a couple weeks back.
Color: as low as an H - but would be much happier with a G or above if we could make it
Fluorescence: no preference as long as the diamond doesn't look cloudy - I actually think blue fluor is pretty from the videos I've seen and slightly prefer it

Cost: I was told 15,000 total for the ring

Ring settings:Vatche U113 six prong solitaire setting - we found a white gold variety online for 1K and I'm hunting for a sale or anything else in the mean time if anyone comes across one :Up_to_something:
So that leaves roughly 14k for the diamond

We did find a vitual diamond that meets EVERYthing above. 13k, faces up well (approx 8x8), 1.7 on HCA (but with "very good" scintillation and light return, "excellent" spread and fire), AGA 2A with twinning wisps and one feather BUT it's a virtual diamond and we'd have to buy it to see it and that's scary. Maybe we can buy it through a PS vendor who will give us an opinion on it and we can return it if needed?

any feedback would be WONDERFUL, and if you think I should change anything please let me know. I did go to vendors this past weekend and it seems i'm a bit color sensitive. Definitely no J, I a smiiiiidge too far but will consider, and a H the lowest I think I'd be happy in the long run.

Thanks in advance!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I suggest just making the trip to GOG since you are close enough to do so. They carry Vatche and Jon has a huge inventory for you to look in person so you know what your eyes really do prefer. I do think you may have a hard time getting a ring with your desired specs for 15K though. So, you may have to readjust your expectations or your budget :))

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Well, not close, it would be about a 3-4 hour drive.

What are your thoughts on virtual stones? The one we found is seemingly perfect, just not on hand unless we buy it.

Also, would it be a horrible idea to contact both and have them look for stones for me? I always feel disloyal when it comes down to something like that, but what if one has something to offer the other doesn't?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't realize GOG wasn't closer. In that case, there is nothing wrong with having a vendor call it in and evaluate it for you but that could eat into your budget if for some reason it doesn't work out. I'd probably check with ID jewelry since they are right in the diamond district. They also carry Vatche and can call in the virtual stone, or they might already know of it and can give you advice. SNA77 got his wife's new stone and the Vatche U113 through them an it all turned out beautifully...

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bumpy bump bump :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Old Gold called in a virtual stone for me and did the tests on it. You'll pay a little more, but there's no way I'd spend that much money on a stone without it being checked out.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
madelise, I <3 you :)

diamondseeker2006|1336009585|3186224 said:
Good Old Gold called in a virtual stone for me and did the tests on it. You'll pay a little more, but there's no way I'd spend that much money on a stone without it being checked out.

I agree, we did consider buying the stone with the return policy and looking at it through the ideal-scope ourselves buuuut... i'd rather a professional look at it and give me their opinion. So far all I have to go on is numbers and a ton of doubt set upon me by other people from the numbers (who also try to sell me stones with bad numbers).

I have a mini list we're compiling over in LIW, and eventually I'll send those over after i get feed back on the above specs with their reccs.

Good news is, that we're not in a rush, we just actually have the money on hand now to use the bank wire price if needed :).

- I sent IDJ an email tonight, with everything else going on and the guilt I would feel about contacting multiple vendors I'll see how this goes and if nothing involve GOG.

Does anyone else see any good virtual stones to mention?

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
the intial stone we were interested in:
https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=2126952003&weight=1.8
...in all honesty the stone does score well, but has "very good" on light return and scintillation, so I kinda bought other's advice that it was too shallow and would have poor light return. but with an HCA of 1.7 and an AGA of 2A, I'm still hopeful

I need an expert

others:
HCA 1.5
https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=5136303492&weight=1.77...

Another, HCA 1.8 - old report though, trade in?
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI2-Very%20Good-Cut-Round-Diamond-1477503.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Another: HCA 1.4
https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=2126900433&weight=1.71#
- is it near 60/60 proportions thought?

HCA 0.8, AGA 1B
https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=2131988614&weight=1.78

I know we need images but, it's the best I can do with the little that we have ;-).

06pvc

Shiny_Rock
It seems like all the stones you are looking at are at 60/60. I feel like another step would be to go somewhere so you can compare the 60/60 look to the more traditional 54-57 tables.

Otherwise feel like your looking at mostly shallow stones for a little extra spread. Don't think that is a bad strategy, I would just make sure you prefer the different look they give.

Feel like at the end of the day the differene between a 7.85 and an 8mm stone is not going to be that perceptible. I would take the 8mm everytime but just make sure you are okay with the different proprotions your getting with it.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
06pvc|1336012586|3186267 said:
It seems like all the stones you are looking at are at 60/60. I feel like another step would be to go somewhere so you can compare the 60/60 look to the more traditional 54-57 tables.

Otherwise feel like your looking at mostly shallow stones for a little extra spread. Don't think that is a bad strategy, I would just make sure you prefer the different look they give.

Feel like at the end of the day the differene between a 7.85 and an 8mm stone is not going to be that perceptible. I would take the 8mm everytime but just make sure you are okay with the different proprotions your getting with it.

I don't mind the difference, honestly. My eye can't see a .2mm difference, something I noted on our last diamond adventure. 7.8mm is fine - but stating the goal would be close to 8 weeds out 7.6mm stones from the mix :rodent: .

I do admit quite honestly that I'm not as savvy as the average PSer, and am able to be pleased without the mind clean issue. I would prefer an eye clean diamond with an inclusion I can easily loupe as I could do that quickly when having it cleaned and etc if nervous. I also find blue flour beautiful from the millions of video's i've watched on them. When asking to see things like this, however, the in person vendors I've come across have told me I think wrong. The only thing I've noticed is i'm sliiiiightly color sensitive (I can see a little warmth in an I without flour, but have yet to see a stone with flour in person). Hence my preference above H - thought I'll likely end up with an H colored stone with our budget :).

As a side note, my boy just sent me this via gmail as I am actively ignoring him searching for stones: http://themetapicture.com/time-to-flee/

laugh it up FF... laugh it up.

06pvc

Shiny_Rock
Fair enough.

I was looking for just about the same thing as you 1.7-1.99 that faced up 8x8, except with a smaller budget. I got a J-Si2-1.86 from IDJ after having them call in a BN stone. I went to GOG too and found IDJ could stretch my budget a bit more.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
06pvc|1336013108|3186284 said:
Fair enough.

I was looking for just about the same thing as you 1.7-1.99 that faced up 8x8, except with a smaller budget. I got a J-Si2-1.86 from IDJ after having them call in a BN stone. I went to GOG too and found IDJ could stretch my budget a bit more.

peerrrrfect. I feel much better about emailing IDJ first. As much as I understand that we're making a big purchase I'm big on loyalty and would like to try one vendor at a time vs. juggle multiple. Thankfully we have time to do something like that and aren't in a rush for a diamond.

06pvc

Shiny_Rock
Good luck and looking forward to see how it turns out. Remember you can send IDJ any stone that is listed on any website, and they will be able to call it in and give you a solid (although not as thorough as GOG) analysis of it.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nicstx|1336016566|3186343 said:
As a side note,

thoughts on this diamond?
http://diamondbistro.com/category/196/Rings/listings/28580/Fabulous-big-OEC-diamond-and-gold-sol-setting!!.html

edit: just noticed the clarity and I don't see a cert... face pattern is pretty though

That ct wt is a lot less than what you were hoping, and color grade is lower. OECs are a completely different "flavor" than your H&A that you've been looking at.. Are you just considering it b/c of its price?

If you're looking at OECs.. I'd contact JbEG to see if they can get another stone in for you that fits your needs..
or these are listed on their site:

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.c...amond/22247189_5qRq3t#!i=1777149607&k=Gh8n4Qr

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.c...n-Cut/19915894_FGLzMr#!i=1567463263&k=HB24VFG

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1336018386|3186367 said:
That ct wt is a lot less than what you were hoping, and color grade is lower. OECs are a completely different "flavor" than your H&A that you've been looking at.. Are you just considering it b/c of its price?

:( yes, the carat weight isn't the appeal, it's the finger spread - and both FF and I think OECs are beautiful just not as sparkly as RBs. I agree, totally different boat, lower colors are expected with OECs because more higher colors are recut... etc

But you're right... I need to stick to my guns. I've been on PS too much and I'm getting distracted. I do have future plans on getting a nice warm OEC in a rose gold setting - just not for my Ering. Back to RB's. I'm focused.

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Bump.... :wavey: :wavey:
Can you experts help my fellow LIW? Any other suggestions for a RB that can fit in her budget? 14k...as close to 1.99 ct as poss...H or better...SI2 ok??

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Phdecorate|1336058250|3186602 said:
Bump.... :wavey: :wavey:
Can you experts help my fellow LIW? Any other suggestions for a RB that can fit in her budget? 14k...as close to 1.99 ct as poss...H or better...SI2 ok??

<3 thanks PH!

06pvc said:
Here are a couple: Just gotta check if they are eye clean, as a cheap SI2 is most likely not eyeclean. IDJ can call those in. And probably have pictures for you within the day.

http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/diamond_detail.php?id=643879&ref=pricescope
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-2516215-1.83-carat-Round-diamond-G-color-SI2-Clarity.aspx?sku=2516215&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

thanks! I still haven't heard back from IDJ... I used the "ask a question" section under one of the diamonds I posted above and asked to speak to someone. I'm hoping I didn't do it wrong. Since I got off work today I'm debating on calling in. Do you think I should just hold my horses or speak to someone directly now?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely best to call IDJ and let them know you are a pricescoper!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Nicstx: I find that it is best to call IDJ. E-mail that I've sent to them hasn't been answered. But my phone calls were picked up, returned right away.

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Bump bump :wavey: Helping my lovely LIW today

Trying to find a RB as close to 1.99 ct as poss....H or better if poss... SI2 ok....for 14k!!!! Some bang for the buck with the PS experts' stamp of approval!!

Any more suggestions out there? Thank you!!!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't make heads or tails out of ID's idealscope images they all look so dark it's hard to tell where the obstruction is and where it's just bad photography. I'm not sure what to advise.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results