shape
carat
color
clarity

It's in transit...yippee!

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been holding off mentioning it..but now I really can't wait to see it and in theory it should arrive in the next couple of days :appl:

It all started with me trying on a diamond ring I loved, but couldn't afford, at an Antiques Show earlier in the year, it was a five stone ring and the centre stone was a gorgeous Asscher.
After that I couldn't get the ring and especially the Asscher out of my mind, and then searching here for Asschers to ogle I saw Acinoms fantastic Asscher Topaz ring and the other lovely suite of sister stones to hers. It got me thinking...and so for the first time ever I decided to look into getting something cut for me..and so I contacted Doug to enquire.
To cut an exciting story short, Doug was lovely and I chose a piece of Natural Blue Topaz rough that he'd dug himself and last week he cut me a stunning 9mm Asscher, which I can't wait to see in person very soon..yippee!

Eventually I want to set it with side stones, in either 18ct white gold or Platinum, but that won't be for a while and so it gives me saving and thinking time.
Just couldn't keep quiet any longer..eek!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds very exciting!!! Doug is lovely to work with & his stones are amazing. I'm also lucky to have one of his natural blue Topaz and I adore it. Can't wait to see photos of your new stone.... :wavey:

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks HotPozzum, that was amazingly quick, Doug has been great and the images do look beautiful. I wasn't sure if it was OK to post Dougs photos without asking him first so I was waiting to take my own, if you know its ok then I could post his ones first.
I'd love to see a picture of your ring. Thanks

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm so excited...I hope Doug doesn't mind me posting his photo...the before and after photos are great (in fact all are amazing)..Thank You Doug :)

_1141.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!! Another gorgeous natural topaz from Doug. It looks great. I am convinced you will love it when you see it. So glad the natural topaz thread inspired you :wavey:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! Very exciting project! :appl:

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Acinom, Thank you, that's so kind of you. I loved seeing your Topaz and it really was the catalyst for me, yours is amazing. Mine :appl: is going to be paler but I think/know I'm going to love it. I'm also really looking forward to seeing the details of the cut, from what I've read I really like the idea of how precise Doug's work is.

Thank you Rockinruby, I just hope it arrives very soon, if I'm lucky maybe tomorrow :)

Thank you.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
So excited for you hounddog! I just recent got to see a precision cut natural untreat blue topaz in real life and I really liked it.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure you will be thrilled! Doug's cutting is amazing. The stone will be like a blue dewdrop.
Glad that mine has inspired you.

Looking forward to see how you will eventually set it.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's arrived! :appl:
It's gorgeous!

I'll try and take some photos today, oh my goodness! :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Waah! I was hoping that you would love it. Please make a lot of pics :appl:

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Pictures please

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Acinom and Sphene, thank you, here goes with the photos. As a lot of people say, these photos don't do it justice!
They're taken in the car (just minutes after I excitedly opened the parcel) with both yellow metal and white metal stone holders (yes I took them with me to collect the parcel) ...I was being so SO careful that not surprisingly..I dropped it and ended up on my hands and knees outside the car looking with a torch under the drivers seat!! Luckily there was no damage when I found it, just palpitations!
In real life I think it looks less blue and more delicate.

It's a Natural Blue Topaz, Asscher, Eye Clean, cut by Doug from a piece of rough he dug from O'Briens Creek, its 9x9.02x7.37mm and 4.64cts. Doug was great to deal with throughout and I'll definitely be happy to order from him again, the delay in delivery was only due to Christmas post at my end.
I love it, now I've just got to work its setting out and save up enough to get it done!

_1285.jpeg

_1288.jpeg

_1289.jpeg

_1287.jpeg

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry...couple more, I couldn't resist as it shoots off lovely flashes of colour.

_1290.jpeg

_1291.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful Hounddog! I love it even more in your pics. What a beautiful blue and sparkling dew drop. Great stone specs by the way! The Asscher cut looks so beautiful on you.
And oh my... so glad you found the stone back in your car after playing with the ring holders :o I can totally relate why you were completely mesmerized by the stone when you saw it with your own eyes.

Both metal combos look great on you. I actually love the warmth of the yellow gold in combination with the stone. Pyramid used yellow gold for her natural topaz and the result is stunning. I have set mine in platinum and I love it as well as it enhances the cool blue of the stone. It's great that you will take a lot of saving and inspiration time to reflect on the setting you will ultimately choose.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks amazing!!!! Stunning stone. :love: Think it actually looks great in both metals so it's nice to have more choice. Keep us posted on the setting. :dance:

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Acinom and HotPozzum, Thank you for your lovely comments.

I'm so delighted with it, it's just lovely and I keep trying it on in both holders every day! You're right, the yellow metal warms it and enhances the blue, while the white definitely cools and noticeably neutralises the blue. Thanks for mentioning how Pyramid set hers, I'll have a look.
I will keep you posted but unfortunately it's going to take me some time!
Happy New Year.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Hounddog, your new topaz is a stunner! I love it in that particular cut too! :love: The photos are wonderful so I can't imagine what it must look like in person. I can see why you might have dropped it! :shock: Unfortunately I can't be much help on the choice of metal. It looks like you are one if those lucky people who look good in either! Plus the stone looks fantastic in both too! Tough decision! Congrats! :clap:

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you Rockinruby, that's very kind of you.
I used to wear mostly yellow gold but in the last few years I seem to have moved towards white generally, but I do rather like the yellow look with this at the moment..but maybe with white prongs (as Pyramid set her Topaz)...I've got plenty of time to decide though!

Thanks again.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. What a stone. Glad you found what you wanted.

S

SparkliesLuver

Lovely! :love: Super glad Doug had something that worked for you. And yes, he's wonderful to work with.

Can't wait to see what you decide! I don't think you can go wrong either way. Congrats! :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glacial blue! How about rose gold? :naughty:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous color, faceting and size!! Have fun picking out a setting.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi derby gal, Sparkliesluver, Chrono and Kgizo,
Thank you for your lovely comments, and thank you Chrono for suggesting Rose gold as I'd never have considered that and it's an interesting idea.
Although I can't have it set yet, I'm thinking of going to a few jewellers and workshops in the next couple of weeks to discuss options and get an idea of what they can offer and their prices. I thought it might help me to save if I have a more realistic idea of cost!

I'd love some help with setting ideas for my lovely Asscher, unfortunately I've got short stubby hands :(sad and my finger is about size 6.
I usually like beautiful but simple looks, so I was thinking of making it a three stone with Trapezoids or vertical baguettes along the sides.
I also like Art Deco styles and now I've seen some lovely halos around...decisions decisions!
You've all got such great knowledge that I don't just want to do 'run of the mill' when maybe there's something I'd never think of out there but would really love.
Thanks for your lovely comments and help.

S

SparkliesLuver

This is still one of my favorite settings for an asscher. I know it's not the clearest picture but hopefully you can make out the details. I'll keep my eyes open for more...

img_4583.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If budget is tight, I would do a 3 stone with baguettes aligned N/S. It helps elongate the fingers, fills up some finger real estate, and is a classic style that will never look dated.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi SparkliesLuver, that is a very pretty setting, thank you. I'd love to see anymore you find.

Hi Chrono, that sounds lovely and I like the idea that it's not a just a 'fashion' setting that would look dated later, I love timeless elegant rings. It's very similar to some I've admired before, it's also good to know that it's a more budget conscious setting and so possible, thank you.

Sorry I've taken a bit of time to reply, just been busy recently!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results