Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

It's here! .91 peachy-pink sapphire

dknorris

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 2, 2015
Messages
64
Hi again!

Several months back I posted about my search for a peach sapphire for my engagement ring. Nothing came my way that I was really excited about until a few weeks ago...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-peach-sapphire-hunt-for-e-ring.216956/

I finally ordered a peach spinel and a peachy pink sapphire to see in person.

The sapphire arrived today and I was able to snap some photos with my camera phone to put on here. The spinel is due to arrive this evening as well! I'll post the pictures on here too as soon as I can.

I didn't realize how difficult it is to photograph these things but please let me know what you guys think of this sapphire and excuse those sad, unkept fingernails of mine...yikes.

_36126.jpg

_36127.jpg

_36128.jpg

_36129.jpg
 

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 10, 2013
Messages
415
Personally I love the bright yet delicate color and the cut, but what do *you* think about it?
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,965
Ohh! I really love it!

Setting ideas?
 

qusi

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 21, 2016
Messages
4
That's gorgeous! I've been searching for a similarly colored sapphire, myself. I hope I find one as pretty as yours.
 

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
11,379
I really like the peachy color--it's definitely a delicate stone and I think it's very pretty. What do you think?? :wavey:


EDIT: delicate stone meaning color-wise. Just realized that might have been confusing. oops. :lol:
 

dknorris

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 2, 2015
Messages
64
The spinel arrived as well and while it is really, really pretty it just didn't have the same effect on me. Honestly, it is just too big for my taste.

_36143.jpg

_36144.jpg

_36145.jpg

_36146.jpg
 

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
11,379
dknorris|1453479042|3979699 said:
The spinel arrived as well and while it is really, really pretty it just didn't have the same effect on me. Honestly, it is just too big for my taste.
I can see what you mean about it not having the same effect. From the pics the spinel doesn't quite pop out at me as much as the sapphire did. Of course it is also very pretty, but I think the lighter peach/pink of the sapphire is more flattering on your skin tone. I disagree about the size since in my book it's hard to be too big :lol: but definitely if you are uncomfortable with that size then the sapphire might be the perfect choice :appl:
 

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 10, 2013
Messages
415
dknorris said:
The spinel arrived as well and while it is really, really pretty it just didn't have the same effect on me.
Sounds like you've found your stone then! The sapphire is really lovely!
 

niter

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 14, 2015
Messages
61
Beautiful! The sapphire is better suited to your skin tone and has such a lovely cut. What are your plans for setting it?
 

dknorris

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 2, 2015
Messages
64
Oh, yes. I LOVE the sapphire and I agree about the color suiting my skin tone better. When I opened the box I knew it was just the perfect one for me. :love:

Niel & niter I'm thinking a rose gold halo setting like this one. I saw it on the BE Instagram feed and drooled a little. I cannot find this on his website though. This is definitely the design I'm after though maybe not with the extra stones on the side of the halo. I'm sure that all gets pretty pricey. I love this look with the cut corner halo and milgrain. We intend to have a reputable local jeweler make the setting. I'd like to design something minimal and clean but unique for the bridge and gallery areas though I'm not sure if there is room to do much.

Any ideas?

_897.png
 

dknorris

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 2, 2015
Messages
64
qusi|1453430374|3979468 said:
That's gorgeous! I've been searching for a similarly colored sapphire, myself. I hope I find one as pretty as yours.
I just know you will! Keep searching because it's out there and the search makes it that much more special.
 

deco1

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 8, 2015
Messages
41
It's really beautiful. Now I can understand why the color in his photos and video differed. I was afraid you wouldn't see as much peach in person. The subtle changes under different lighting conditions make this one special. In comparison, the spinel looks one-dimensional. And there's something about the cut that seems to emphasize a bit of zoning -- it looks unevenly saturated.

Congrats on finding this one!
 

dknorris

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 2, 2015
Messages
64
deco1|1453490377|3979810 said:
It's really beautiful. Now I can understand why the color in his photos and video differed. I was afraid you wouldn't see as much peach in person. The subtle changes under different lighting conditions make this one special. In comparison, the spinel looks one-dimensional. And there's something about the cut that seems to emphasize a bit of zoning -- it looks unevenly saturated.

Congrats on finding this one!
Thank you! Yes, I was a little worried about that too. I'm glad I took the chance to see how it looked in person because the colors in the photos, which looked lilac to me, thankfully never showed up in my office lighting or home lighting. The colors that are showing are so pleasing to me. :dance:
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,598
I think the winner is clear, don't you agree?
 

dknorris

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 2, 2015
Messages
64
Chrono Oh, for sure. Sapphire for the win! :D Now it's time to nail down the setting details.

Edit: Or at least some options for my FF to pick from. I need to keep some of this a mystery I suppose. :naughty:
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,965
So it has to be rose gold.

Also, are you looking for other inspiration for the ring, or it'll be a halo, you're sure? What's yours budget for the setting
 

dknorris

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 2, 2015
Messages
64
Niel - I like the rose gold bc of the tones and how it seems to flow with the peachy pink stone colors. I worry that the white gold would make the sapphire pop a little too much and appear bright pink. However, I'm not opposed to the two tone styles I've seen around.

I'd prefer the cost of the setting to not exceed $2,500.00. Is that doable with the style I'm after?

Edit: Yes, I've decided the halo is my first choice. I've yet to see another setting that truly appealed to me as much.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,965
dknorris|1453501350|3979926 said:
Niel - I like the rose gold bc of the tones and how it seems to flow with the peachy pink stone colors. I worry that the white gold would make the sapphire pop a little too much and appear bright pink. However, I'm not opposed to the two tone styles I've seen around.

I'd prefer the cost of the setting to not exceed $2,500.00. Is that doable with the style I'm after?

Edit: Yes, I've decided the halo is my first choice. I've yet to see another setting that truly appealed to me as much.
I encourage you to take that stone to a store and set it in empty settings of rose gold and white gold.

I have the opposite worry as you, that the rose gold may make the stone seem more brown than it really is.

I think a halo is lovely, I'm just wondering if that would make the most of the size of the stone. Probably one of the best options, I'm just thinking out loud
 

dknorris

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 2, 2015
Messages
64
Niel - Hopefully, this weekend I can take it in and check it out in different settings to see how it looks. I've seen a 3 stone with just the center in a halo that I thought was beautiful too.

I'm open to suggestions though! I guess I always assumed I'd have a halo ring. I'd love to see other options that would be great for this sapphire.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,965
I'm just shooting from the hip here, but

_36152.jpg

_36153.jpg

photogrid_1453504493180.jpg

picsart_01-22-06.jpg
 

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
6,724
Niel, I love that first one. That halo will be pricey, but it is lovely.

Dknorris, it will probably be much less $ to keep the spinel and put in a simple three stone setting, compared to putting the sapphire in a halo. Halo settings are expensive (but lovely).
 

dknorris

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 2, 2015
Messages
64
Niel - that first ring is stunning! I've come across it here in the forum before and was speechless. This has me researching 3-stone settings now. I like the third ring too but with some modifications. The look of adding trapezoid side stones with a micro pave shank design or even adding a halo to that third ring center stone is starting to appeal to me. Hmm....


Pregcurious - At this point I'd rather compromise on a setting than let the sapphire go. The spinel just didn't do it for me because of its size and cut. You're right though about the cost of setting it and for that I wish it could have been a contender.
 

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Oct 3, 2010
Messages
255
dknorris|1453562067|3980200 said:
Niel - that first ring is stunning! I've come across it here in the forum before and was speechless. This has me researching 3-stone settings now. I like the third ring too but with some modifications. The look of adding trapezoid side stones with a micro pave shank design or even adding a halo to that third ring center stone is starting to appeal to me. Hmm....
If you like Kristen Bell's ring (the 3rd one Niel posted), MyDiamondZone just made a replica of it for my zircon - it came out fabulous and was very reasonably priced, I'm sure they could make it a full halo as well.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,965
carmen1|1453568022|3980276 said:
dknorris|1453562067|3980200 said:
Niel - that first ring is stunning! I've come across it here in the forum before and was speechless. This has me researching 3-stone settings now. I like the third ring too but with some modifications. The look of adding trapezoid side stones with a micro pave shank design or even adding a halo to that third ring center stone is starting to appeal to me. Hmm....
If you like Kristen Bell's ring (the 3rd one Niel posted), MyDiamondZone just made a replica of it for my zircon - it came out fabulous and was very reasonably priced, I'm sure they could make it a full halo as well.
Do you have a photo of this somewhere?
 

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Oct 3, 2010
Messages
255
Niel|1453578185|3980362 said:
carmen1|1453568022|3980276 said:
dknorris|1453562067|3980200 said:
I like the third ring too but with some modifications. The look of adding trapezoid side stones with a micro pave shank design or even adding a halo to that third ring center stone is starting to appeal to me. Hmm....
If you like Kristen Bell's ring (the 3rd one Niel posted), MyDiamondZone just made a replica of it for my zircon - it came out fabulous and was very reasonably priced, I'm sure they could make it a full halo as well.
Do you have a photo of this somewhere?
Sure, here are the glamour shots from MDZ and one on my dry, chapped hands (sorry they are so large!):

fniished1__7_0.jpg

finished2__7_0.jpg

20160124_092447.jpg
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,965
carmen1|1453646307|3980654 said:
Niel|1453578185|3980362 said:
carmen1|1453568022|3980276 said:
dknorris|1453562067|3980200 said:
I like the third ring too but with some modifications. The look of adding trapezoid side stones with a micro pave shank design or even adding a halo to that third ring center stone is starting to appeal to me. Hmm....
If you like Kristen Bell's ring (the 3rd one Niel posted), MyDiamondZone just made a replica of it for my zircon - it came out fabulous and was very reasonably priced, I'm sure they could make it a full halo as well.
Do you have a photo of this somewhere?
Sure, here are the glamour shots from MDZ and one on my dry, chapped hands (sorry they are so large!):
Shoot that looks amazing!


Sorry for the thread jack.
 

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Oct 3, 2010
Messages
255
  • Thanks - I keep meaning to post it on the under $1250 thread but I'm terrible about that stuff!
 

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 15, 2010
Messages
2,103
Oh boy. Kristin Bell's ring is one of my all time favorite celeb rings ever. Love the replica and love this peach sapphire! :love:
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    A Perspective on Pearls- Vol. I
    A Perspective on Pearls- Vol. I
    Quarter Century Anniversary Upgrade
    Quarter Century Anniversary Upgrade
    Diamonds and the Movies – Watchlist (Part 1)
    Diamonds and the Movies – Watchlist (Part 1)

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top