carat
color
clarity

IT'S HERE ! 3.075ct H VS1 RB DIAMOND - THANKS TO JAMES ALLEN

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: IT'S HERE ! 3.075ct H VS1 RB DIAMOND - THANKS TO JAMES A

What was the crown height on your old stone?

Higher crowns/shallow pavs tend to show more colored fire, in general.

Shallower crowns with steeper pavs tend to have more of the 'bright white dot' effect.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I had to look up your old stone - 57/34/41/looks like GIA80 vs 56.4/35.2/40.6/80

They're actually really similar - I do think you'll see some differences, but I'd say good number of what differences you *do* see are probably just due to the new stone's facets being that much bigger, even though they're configured similarly! I went from a smaller shallower type (1ct w/ 33crown) to a larger steeper type (2ct w/ 36) and I was really surprised by how differently they performed... your new stone is pretty much exactly my favourite type of RB :sun:

I actually think after you live with it for a bit you'll likely find that the biggest differences are in "mixed" types of lights, as opposed to diffuse office lights or elevator spotlights - in the office light/spotlight extremes all RBs basically behave the same way, but in mixed light the proportions and facet size have a bigger (possibly more visible) effect on which way the stone errs.. Or you may not see any differences at all, your new stone really is very similarly proportioned to your old one!

I'll be interested to see what you think in a few weeks ::)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

It looks AMAZING!!! I cannot wait to see it set!!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1349029414|3276926 said:
I had to look up your old stone - 57/34/41/looks like GIA80 vs 56.4/35.2/40.6/80

They're actually really similar - I do think you'll see some differences, but I'd say good number of what differences you *do* see are probably just due to the new stone's facets being that much bigger, even though they're configured similarly! I went from a smaller shallower type (1ct w/ 33crown) to a larger steeper type (2ct w/ 36) and I was really surprised by how differently they performed... your new stone is pretty much exactly my favourite type of RB :sun:

I actually think after you live with it for a bit you'll likely find that the biggest differences are in "mixed" types of lights, as opposed to diffuse office lights or elevator spotlights - in the office light/spotlight extremes all RBs basically behave the same way, but in mixed light the proportions and facet size have a bigger (possibly more visible) effect on which way the stone errs.. Or you may not see any differences at all, your new stone really is very similarly proportioned to your old one!

Yssie, you always astound me with your incredible knowledge (and I mean this in a good way :)) ). How *exactly* would / should the stones behave differently? What "effect" are you talking about?

My 3ct has a very high crown (35.5 deg) but it has a slightly deeper pavilion. It's so crazily firey!! :love: Practically all my other stones have a crown of less than 35. My 5ct has a crown of 34.6 deg. I wonder whether and how I'd be able to see the difference (if any).

Sorry about the slight threadjack, Frankie. Your new 3ct is absolutely beautilicious!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

WOW! Totally drooling!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix|1349102668|3277367 said:
Yssie|1349029414|3276926 said:

Yssie, you always astound me with your incredible knowledge (and I mean this in a good way :)) ). How *exactly* would / should the stones behave differently? What "effect" are you talking about?

My 3ct has a very high crown (35.5 deg) but it has a slightly deeper pavilion. It's so crazily firey!! :love: Practically all my other stones have a crown of less than 35. My 5ct has a crown of 34.6 deg. I wonder whether and how I'd be able to see the difference (if any).

Sorry about the slight threadjack, Frankie. Your new 3ct is absolutely beautilicious!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

Aww :))

A stone like yours should really be the most fiery of all - steep crown, slightly deeper pav :sun: I think there are lots of reasons but IMO the main ones are facet size and the "type" of light output you wind up with -

-larger stone means bigger facets and that means bigger, higher-energy outputs that can travel further and look brighter, but since an incident ray has fewer facet choices to bounce off of there are fewer sparkles, and they're slower - I like to think of "rolling flash" like off an opal, vs. the quick sizzling sparks of say a smaller princess

-higher crown + smaller table means that the angled crown facets are larger, and they're angled further away from each other, so exiting dispersions can travel further without running into each other, and your odds of catching a single wavelength (colour) are much better

-steeper pav (not so steep the stone leaks everything but on the steeper side so there's perhaps a little bit of "leakage" under the table) means there's marginally less white light return - white light return is so much brighter it's all your eyes can see, it basically drowns out the lower-energy coloured light output, take a little bit of that away and you can really see all the colour!

-if the c/p combo is such that the light path length is longer within the stone, the entering light has more distance to separate further into its component wavelengths before exiting

-non-"extreme" pav configurations (not LGF 90 or 65 say, or extreme brillianteering) means the pav facets are angled as far away from each other as possible, which also helps reduce the odds of adjacent dispersions recombining - though this bit is complicated, I wouldn't want to say much beyond "it helps" without diamcalc or something!

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

yssie, you're always the go to encyclopedia ! :read:

diamond is now at VC... very exciting !!! :appl:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie, thanks. Makes a lot of sense. However, when I tried to compare my 3ct to my other stones, I didn't really notice any difference. Would the difference show up on photos? Shall I take some and post them for you to see?

Frankie, so excited for you! :appl: Can't wait to see the final ring on your hand.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Frankie what's the ETA?

Phoenix - Would I like more pics of your honker, you mean? Especially knowing that we have the same finger size... :bigsmile:

Yeah, that's definitely always possible - that the differences the textbooks say should be there can't actually be seen and appreciated IRL! There are so many variables. I know I definitely saw differences when I went from one extreme to the other, but... even I will admit that at a certain point a pretty stone is a pretty stone and we're just quibbling over the rest of it!
I don't think the differences would show up in pics though, just because they'd be single static views from one angle at one time, you'd really need several samples to extrapolate anything, I think. I will be VERY interested to hear what you think of the 5ct and how it compares to your 3ct!
First world debates 8)

Okay done taking over your thread Frankie!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1349269053|3278608 said:
Frankie what's the ETA?

Phoenix - Would I like more pics of your honker, you mean? Especially knowing that we have the same finger size... :bigsmile:

Yeah, that's definitely always possible - that the differences the textbooks say should be there can't actually be seen and appreciated IRL! There are so many variables. I know I definitely saw differences when I went from one extreme to the other, but... even I will admit that at a certain point a pretty stone is a pretty stone and we're just quibbling over the rest of it!
I don't think the differences would show up in pics though, just because they'd be single static views from one angle at one time, you'd really need several samples to extrapolate anything, I think. I will be VERY interested to hear what you think of the 5ct and how it compares to your 3ct!
First world debates 8)

Okay done taking over your thread Frankie!

Yssie, I will take pics and shall let you know also. Thanks.

Frankie, have you noticed any difference in the optics between your two diamonds?

Oh my lord, I must have died and gone to heaven! What a breathtaking stone! :o :love: :cheeky: :love:

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

ETA is around 10/19 (or hopefully earlier) !! :appl: :appl: :appl:

here's a sneak peak that Victor so kindly sent me this afternoon ...

halo-1.jpg

parts-1.jpg

as for the optics between the 2 stones, i feel like they are pretty much on par, but when taking photos of the 3.07ct stone i was finding it a teeny bit harder to get a "white light" photo, so as Yssie was saying, i think the steeper crown angle has something to do with this?

when i receive the completed ring i can definitely observe it more !

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Frankie, what size melee have you and Victor decided to use?

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

hi phoenix, victor is still determining multiple variables right now for me but the basic info i have is that the halo will be at 1.4mm viewed from top down (thinner than previous setting), and the setting height will be at 7mm from finger to top of the diamond table. the setting height is exactly the same as my previous setting, which means the diamond is deliberately set a teensy bit lower, since it is technically about 0.5mm taller in diamond height.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

frankiextah|1349327456|3279101 said:
hi phoenix, victor is still determining multiple variables right now for me but the basic info i have is that the halo will be at 1.4mm viewed from top down (thinner than previous setting), and the setting height will be at 7mm from finger to top of the diamond table. the setting height is exactly the same as my previous setting, which means the diamond is deliberately set a teensy bit lower, since it is technically about 0.5mm taller in diamond height.

Wowza, that'd be really lovely. I am a big fan of more delicate halo's.

That's interesting about the setting height - 7mm less 5.74mm leaves 1.26mm between the culet and your finger vs the 1.78mm in your previous ring. I think that'd be fabulous as I personally prefer lower settings.

Sparkle's (and I hope she doesn't mind my sharing) SK ring is 8.4mm high and her diamond is 6.8mm deep, so that's a 1.6mm spacing.

I've requested Leon to set mine anywhere from 0.50 to 1mm above how he normally sets it (and he told me that he normally sets it with a 1mm spacing). So that could mean 1.5mm-2mm spacing. Oh no, I really hope that it's not 2mm as that'd be far too high! :o :sick: I'd better call him tonight to find out! AAACK!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

It's a beauty! And VC how exciting! :appl:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just called Leon and everything is fine!! Phew! :))

So sorry for the second threadjack. Won't happen again! :))

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock

Laila619|1348887382|3276322 said:
Yummy! I love the high crown/shallower pav combo.

Ditto! :love:

Fife

Rough_Rock

WOWOW that's friggin' awesome!!! What was the price on that? Congrats!

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock

:love: :love: :love: Blingalicious perfection, Frankie! :love: :love: :love:

Can't wait for Victor's setting. Because of your previous ring you got me hooked on his work!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

congrats Frankie! that is a beauty!!.. :love: :appl:

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks do much gain very one! I am getting super impatient.. Gaah !

Just received this amazing photo of the completed metal work !!

image_36.jpg

serinatran

Rough_Rock

THAT'S HUGE! <----- That's what she said

Sorry couldn't help it, lol. I am pretty happy with my e-ring but I must say I was a bit jealous when I saw this. Gorgeous diamond! Go James Allen! I got my diamond from them too =)

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

Haha that's what she said !!!

I had the honor of meeting with Victor yesterday in LA, and had a first glimpse of my setting... It is beautiful so far !! I love the more dramatic curved struts and the smaller halo.

I will have more technical details for you very soon... The ring should be completed ahead of schedule :)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

I can't wait to see it set! congrats on lovely stone!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sounds beautiful Frankie - love the idea of a smaller halo!

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock

That is a magnificent stone! :love: :love:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yowza, that is one big, magnificent white stone! I will really look forward to seeing it when its set. Congrats!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

wow, it's going to be amazing!! can't wait to see the finished piece!

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Congrats on your new stone and I can't wait to see the finished product. I think with a smaller halo the centerstone will pop out more. Also, I love the curved struts. From the last pic, you can definitely see the difference. Can't wait! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results