shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Yellow Gold out of style?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Deb. I did post pics of them, but I recently "consolidated" the diamonds in two of the bangles into one bangle so diamonds would go all the way around. I''ll post a pic later.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
Is there a show-off thread for YG e-rings yet?

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
I live in NYC and don't know a single person my age (28) with a yellow gold e-ring. It's platinum all the way. And that goes for my friends back home in England, too.

I love the look of a yellow gold wedding band -- the Italians and Spaniards wear it so well -- but I'm not a fan of the metal for e-rings. Conceptual, wacky jewellery, maybe, but there are all sorts of negative connotations about yellow gold in my head (chavs, Mr T, rappers, knuckle dusters, sleazy cygnet rings, cluster diamonds...)

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/2/2005 4:54:39 PM
Author: ursulawrite
I live in NYC and don''t know a single person my age (28) with a yellow gold e-ring. It''s platinum all the way. And that goes for my friends back home in England, too.

I love the look of a yellow gold wedding band -- the Italians and Spaniards wear it so well -- but I''m not a fan of the metal for e-rings. Conceptual, wacky jewellery, maybe, but there are all sorts of negative connotations about yellow gold in my head (chavs, Mr T, rappers, knuckle dusters, sleazy cygnet rings, cluster diamonds...)
I agree. I also live in NYC and literally not one of my engaged or married friends has a yellow gold engagment ring. Also, I can''t even remember seeing any yellow gold rings in the high end stores...

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock

there are all sorts of negative connotations about yellow gold in my head (chavs, Mr T, rappers, knuckle dusters, sleazy cygnet rings, cluster diamonds...)

I pity the fool who doesn't appreciate yellow gold !!
10.gif
Going upstairs now to find my knuckle dusters !!
9.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2005 2:31:03 PM
Author: Pyramid
I keep reading that people think yellow gold or white gold/platinum looks better with their skin.

What skin suits which color?

Is it yellow gold for darker skin and white gold for fairer skin?
Nope - it''s usually the opposite.

Causacasians typically have a green tone to their skin that is more complemented by yellow/ivory. It''s why most fair-skinned ladies look better in ivory wedding dresses, and in yellow gold.

Other nationalities with darker or more olive tones tend to favor whiter looks - i.e. white metals and white dresses.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2005 4:58:52 PM
Author: AmandaPanda

I live in NYC and don''t know a single person my age (28) with a yellow gold e-ring. It''s platinum all the way. And that goes for my friends back home in England, too.

I agree. I also live in NYC and literally not one of my engaged or married friends has a yellow gold engagment ring. Also, I can''t even remember seeing any yellow gold rings in the high end stores...

Maybe it depends on when they got engaged? In my group of friends (29-31 yr olds), those who got engaged right out of college have yellow gold rings, probably b/c that was just about when the white metals were coming in. I have an English friend who is 26 and her wedding set is yellow gold. Interestingly, one friend who just got an enormous three stone ring upgrade still had it done in yellow gold. But I do agree that those who have gotten engaged more recently tend to have yellow gold rings.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/2/2005 5:11:14 PM
Author: aljdewey
Date: 11/1/2005 2:31:03 PM

Author: Pyramid

I keep reading that people think yellow gold or white gold/platinum looks better with their skin.

What skin suits which color?

Is it yellow gold for darker skin and white gold for fairer skin?

Nope - it's usually the opposite.

Causacasians typically have a green tone to their skin that is more complemented by yellow/ivory. It's why most fair-skinned ladies look better in ivory wedding dresses, and in yellow gold.

Other nationalities with darker or more olive tones tend to favor whiter looks - i.e. white metals and white dresses.

You are absolutely right when it comes to me: I looked better in an off-white bridal gown (but wore a pure white one out of a desire to keep the tradition for a first marriage). I also look better in yellow gold. (I am very fair. I am currently a blonde, but was a brunette when I got married.)

Some blondes are very tan, however. I, as a brunette, was fair with pink tones. Surely there are more variables than skin color involved in what looks good on someone? I can imagine one blonde friend who tans wearing yellow gold to GREAT advantage!

Also: why would lighter Caucasians be more green? I thought that some of us had more pink undertones and others, who were more sallow, had more yellow. I am pink and when I want to disguise extra pink on my face I use a little green cream to cover the pink. What does that mean!!??

I am very serious. I want to understand more about skin color and jewelry.

Deb

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results