shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this worth $2.5K?

Syilop

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am really new to the world of buying jewelry. I am in search of an everyday necklace to treasure and wear alone, with no other topper necklaces. As diamond has no color, I was considering purchasing a diamond necklace, since it would match any colored outfit I would wear.

If you have any cheaper suggestions for a diamond or other type of gemstone necklace for everyday wear (preferably 14 or 18k solid gold chain), please let me know. I am quite slim, have slightly tan skin, and am in college. Because of my skin tone, I'd prefer gold jewelry.

As for this necklace, I have been in love with Kataoka jewelry for a while, but had never had the guts to buy such expensive jewelry. Please let me know on your thoughts of the price, if the karat weight and designer is worth $2.5K?

https://www.kataoka-jewelry.com/en/categories/en-necklaces/diamond-snowflake-necklace-victorian/

Thanks so much!

Reactions: AV_

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very beautiful and for many a Kataoka piece is a dream come true.
For others, like me, I prefer better value for my money rather than a fancy designer name.
The diamonds are wee, the chain is fine so the “value” of the components is a fraction of the retail price.
Is it worth it?
Only you can answer that for yourself.
Other options to consider might be a Diamond by the yard necklace or a solitaire diamond. Both these options will give you more diamond carat for your money but such styles are more “common” so you don’t get the exclusivity you get with a Kataoka piece.

Syilop

Rough_Rock
For others, like me, I prefer better value for my money rather than a fancy designer name.
The diamonds are wee, the chain is fine so the “value” of the components is a fraction of the retail price.
Is it worth it?
Other options to consider might be a Diamond by the yard necklace or a solitaire diamond. Both these options will give you more diamond carat for your money but such styles are more “common” so you don’t get the exclusivity you get with a Kataoka piece.

Thank you so much for your input! I didn’t know that Kataoka was praised so much!

Do you have any trustworthy jewelry brands you could recommend for the solitaire or diamond by the yard necklace? I am scared to spend so much money on a questionable website?

Thank you!

Syilop

Rough_Rock
Is it worth it?

Thank you so much for your input! I didn’t know that Kataoka was praised by the
Have a look at @yennyfire listing under PS Pre Loved jewels.
It’s a gorgeous platinum vintage link chain set with diamonds. Currently priced at $2,000. Now that is a good price for such a beautiful piece.

this one’s beautiful, but not necessarily my style for everyday wear. Thanks though! <3

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If one likes the designer brand name, yes it’s worth it.

If you don’t care for the brand name and are on a budget, no I don’t think it is.
Would a little briolette be your style?
Make sure you check out the neckshots :love:

Or look thru here for something a bit less than 2.5k

I’m sure with some looking around elsewhere you could find something vaguely similar to the one you linked at not a designer price. But not the same.

Last edited:

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
If you're open to lab diamonds, I would check out Lightbox Jewelry (they are also sold at Bloomingdale's and they currently have a 30% off promo and if you sign-up for their e-mail you get another 15% off). The only downside is that their metal is usually gold plated sterling silver or 10K gold. You can also look at Vrai which has 14K gold.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go with a less expensive solitaire, would you feel happy wearing it knowing that you got more bang for your buck? Or would you still wish you had a Kataoka snowflake?

I think that should determine what you get.

Volute

Rough_Rock
Design is worth paying for, so I would say yes if you love the design. It's extremely delicate and lovely. The beige gold is unusual. Could you get more for your money karat/carat-wise? Probably.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to own a Kataoka piece one day, so I think you should go for it if you love it and if it is in your budget. I think a delicate diamonds by the yard necklace would be a good option for you too. There are lots of threads with pictures on Pricescope so you can see what the necklaces look like in real life. Here is an option from Whiteflash that might be a good fit for you:

Syilop

Rough_Rock
If one likes the designer brand name, yes it’s worth it.

If you don’t care for the brand name and are on a budget, no I don’t think it is.
Would a little briolette be your style?
Make sure you check out the neckshots :love:

Or look thru here for something a bit less than 2.5k

I’m sure with some looking around elsewhere you could find something vaguely similar to the one you linked at not a designer price. But not the same.

I am still deciding if the designer is worth it. I will definelty look around for similar styles for a cheaper price.. thanks for the suggestions!

Syilop

Rough_Rock
If you're open to lab diamonds, I would check out Lightbox Jewelry (they are also sold at Bloomingdale's and they currently have a 30% off promo and if you sign-up for their e-mail you get another 15% off). The only downside is that their metal is usually gold plated sterling silver or 10K gold. You can also look at Vrai which has 14K gold.

Aww, I don’t mind lab diamonds, but I would really like a solid gold chain. I will check out Vrai!

Syilop

Rough_Rock
If you go with a less expensive solitaire, would you feel happy wearing it knowing that you got more bang for your buck? Or would you still wish you had a Kataoka snowflake?

I think that should determine what you get.

Hmm, that is my biggest question right now. From far away, a solitaire necklace would look similar to the Kataoka snowflake, but up close, I feel as though the Kataoka snowflake would look more precious . Although, on the upside, I would be probably saving lots of money. I am torn. :(

Syilop

Rough_Rock
Design is worth paying for, so I would say yes if you love the design. It's extremely delicate and lovely. The beige gold is unusual. Could you get more for your money karat/carat-wise? Probably.

I agree. The design is very unique, and if I would get the courage to pay so much, I would probably enjoy its delicacy in design. I actually love beige gold, more than the traditional yellow gold, as sometimes, I feel yellow gold can get too bright.

Thanks for your input!

Syilop

Rough_Rock
I would love to own a Kataoka piece one day, so I think you should go for it if you love it and if it is in your budget. I think a delicate diamonds by the yard necklace would be a good option for you too. There are lots of threads with pictures on Pricescope so you can see what the necklaces look like in real life. Here is an option from Whiteflash that might be a good fit for you:

Hmm, a diamonds by the yard necklace sounds interesting. I will check it out!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, that is my biggest question right now. From far away, a solitaire necklace would look similar to the Kataoka snowflake, but up close, I feel as though the Kataoka snowflake would look more precious . Although, on the upside, I would be probably saving lots of money. I am torn. :(

Also keep in mind that the Kataoka snowflake has a rose cut center, so unless your solitaire was also a rose cut, it will be a distinctly different look.

FCF1AA7E-B745-49D1-9A2E-869BAEB81001.jpeg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I will play devil's advocate. It's not the popular opinion or option.
I love the aesthetic of a Kataoka piece.
I will also never be able to afford an actual handmade Kataoka piece, so I am relegated to the knock off by necessity. Etsy has many aesthetic 'knock offs' that may fit your bill for a fraction of the cost.
It depends on your personal feelings and parameters as to whether that is amenable/acceptable to you.

Syilop

Rough_Rock
I will play devil's advocate. It's not the popular opinion or option.
I love the aesthetic of a Kataoka piece.
I will also never be able to afford an actual handmade Kataoka piece, so I am relegated to the knock off by necessity. Etsy has many aesthetic 'knock offs' that may fit your bill for a fraction of the cost.
It depends on your personal feelings and parameters as to whether that is amenable/acceptable to you.

Thanks for your opinion! I know, Kataoka pieces are all sooo dreamy. Etsy has many great options too, so I am looking on there too. This purchase is no piece of cake, it would be a significant bite to my wallet, so I am taking lots of time to think this through.

Syilop

Rough_Rock
Also keep in mind that the Kataoka snowflake has a rose cut center, so unless your solitaire was also a rose cut, it will be a distinctly different look.

FCF1AA7E-B745-49D1-9A2E-869BAEB81001.jpeg

Hmm, I see. Does rose cut diamonds shine less (not as much as regular roundcut diamonds) from far away?

Up close, I definitely love the timeless look to a rose cut diamond.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, I see. Does rose cut diamonds shine less (not as much as regular roundcut diamonds) from far away?

Up close, I definitely love the timeless look to a rose cut diamond.

They can flash a lot of color when you catch the light just right, but they’re not the same kind of sparkle as an MRB.

Here’s what the earring version looks like outside on a sunny day.
826E3ACF-6D7A-493C-A352-6BFBDAE84D6F.jpeg 45B5EAFA-50B4-4D36-8EAA-35AEDC1FA5AC.jpeg

Volute

Rough_Rock
JPie, are these your earrings? I've never seen this designer's jewelry in person they look amazing here.

Syilop

Rough_Rock
They can flash a lot of color when you catch the light just right, but they’re not the same kind of sparkle as an MRB.

Here’s what the earring version looks like outside on a sunny day.
826E3ACF-6D7A-493C-A352-6BFBDAE84D6F.jpeg 45B5EAFA-50B4-4D36-8EAA-35AEDC1FA5AC.jpeg

Wow, just wow. These are gorgeous.. if I had my own pair, I would wear them everyday! Just, stunning!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results