shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this skinny model attractive?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/7/2009 7:28:10 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I know that clothing 'hangs' more appropriately on thinner women with a lack of chest for ads,

Really?
So women looking more like men looks more appropriate for selling clothes?

Not trying to be snarky; just not sure why you picked the word appropriate.

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/7/2009 9:47:45 PM
Author: cindygenit
Date: 10/7/2009 9:29:25 PM

Author: jjc

O man...I used to look like that. At 5''4'' 80-85 pounds, I had the exact same lollipop look. Not because I was trying to be skinny, but a product of super-fast metabolism + terribly dark, unhealthy times. I agree, very hard to look at, especially because it reminds me of pretty awful times in my life. *shudder*
23.gif

No, I don''t think that looks attractive. At all.

jjc,a guy at my work is taking SLM to make his metabolism faster. He lost heaps of weight, but i''m sure its unhealthy.

Honestly, I don''t understand why people try to achieve this kind of look... now even guys are doing it
29.gif
That''s just nuts. I assure you, I did NOT look like that on purpose.
38.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2009 8:51:36 PM
Author: JulieN
I wouldn''t say this in any of the other threads that are all ''REAL women have curves'' but since kenny is the OP, and this isn''t really that kind of thread...

how do you think you would feel if someone told you to eat a doughnut? it''s just as horrible as being told you could lose a couple of pounds.

America is just getting fatter and fatter. I''m honestly much more disgusted by an obese person than by the picture, which is clearly photoshopped. She looks fine when she walks the runway.
I know from experience that it feels pretty bad, especially if you are a young woman who is recovering from a serious illness, as I was a few summers ago. Almost every time I went out--especially shopping--other women would comment on how thin I was, tell me to eat a cheeseburger, and let me know that I should be in couseling for my anorexia. I was shocked that so many women would pass judgment so quickly. If someone made the same sort of comment to an overweight person, everyone would be shocked and outraged, but no one seems to bat an eye when it''s directed toward an underweight person.

What America needs is to stop judging other people''s bodies. I know that''s not going to happen . . . but I really wish it would.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/7/2009 9:59:49 PM
Author: kittybean

I wouldn't say this in any of the other threads that are all 'REAL women have curves' but since kenny is the OP, and this isn't really that kind of thread...

how do you think you would feel if someone told you to eat a doughnut? it's just as horrible as being told you could lose a couple of pounds.

America is just getting fatter and fatter. I'm honestly much more disgusted by an obese person than by the picture, which is clearly photoshopped. She looks fine when she walks the runway.

I know from experience that it feels pretty bad, especially if you are a young woman who is recovering from a serious illness, as I was a few summers ago. Almost every time I went out--especially shopping--other women would comment on how thin I was, tell me to eat a cheeseburger, and let me know that I should be in couseling for my anorexia. I was shocked that so many women would pass judgment so quickly. If someone made the same sort of comment to an overweight person, everyone would be shocked and outraged, but no one seems to bat an eye when it's directed toward an underweight person.

What America needs is to stop judging other people's bodies. I know that's not going to happen . . . but I really wish it would.

Thank you JulieN and KittyBean for saying that, because I agree. I have an insanely fast metabolism, eat whatever I want and still don't gain weight. I am not rail thin, and do have shape (c cup, hips/butt), and am just now getting to feel "womanly" and confident at 25. However growing up and being really small and all through high school being 75-85 lbs and 5'5", I can tell you having people ask you if you have a tape worm or of you are bulimic when you are not hurts just as much. And it is very annoying how people need to walk on eggshells aroung obese people and god forbid you call a women fat, but its ok to criticize skinny people "u skinny b*tch, I hate you. eat a cheeseburger will you?" Playful or not it sucks...and I DO eat cheeseburgers!
3.gif

But for the record, do I think she is attractive? NO. But she was clearly photo shopped to be disproportionate and unrealistically thin. But a size 0-2 isnt "ugly" its its healthy-thin, and natural (not achieved by starving, etc.) Its the deliberate way she was made to look like that that bugs me...as if the way she was already isnt good enough.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think her face is gorgeous, but her obviously Photoshopped body is not.

Kittybean--You''re right, people are judgmental and they don''t think at all about how hurtful their words can be in situations like the one you describe. I imagine that we wouldn''t be able to find one person who has never been the victim of inappropriate comments about her appearance from a stranger. It''s so sad, really. If you''re not too tall, you''re too short. If you''re not too thin, you''re too overweight.

I have an unusually large mouth. I''ve had more than one person (actually, they''ve all been women) tell me to lay off the collagen, and twice I have been the victim of a hideous racial slur--"n" lips. It hurts to hear it, even though I know it shouldn''t.

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
gross... looks like a big-headed alien

can''t believe that actually used that for an ad. i''m embarrassed for them...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ralph Lauren model comparison.jpg

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
that looks better!!!

Can''t believe they photoshopped her into that... thing. I can see the disproportionation clearly now.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the side by side, Freke. They distorted her image so much it''s like she''s standing in front of one of those crazy mirrors at a carnival....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder what the model thought when she saw the photoshopped one.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
kenny, maybe she asked for it?
6.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I know these gals need to look skinny and most probably have to work hard at it, so maybe she liked the pic.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/7/2009 10:48:51 PM
that looks better!!!

Can''t believe they photoshopped her into that... thing. I can see the disproportionation clearly now.
It looked photoshopped. Her head was too big for the body.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 12:00:20 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 10/7/2009 10:48:51 PM

that looks better!!!

It looked photoshopped. Her head was too big for the body.

I actually just saw an article on this a few hours ago. The article commented that her waist and pelvis are smaller than her head.
6.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2009 9:59:49 PM
Author: kittybean

I wouldn't say this in any of the other threads that are all 'REAL women have curves' but since kenny is the OP, and this isn't really that kind of thread...

how do you think you would feel if someone told you to eat a doughnut? it's just as horrible as being told you could lose a couple of pounds.

America is just getting fatter and fatter. I'm honestly much more disgusted by an obese person than by the picture, which is clearly photoshopped. She looks fine when she walks the runway.

I know from experience that it feels pretty bad, especially if you are a young woman who is recovering from a serious illness, as I was a few summers ago. Almost every time I went out--especially shopping--other women would comment on how thin I was, tell me to eat a cheeseburger, and let me know that I should be in couseling for my anorexia. I was shocked that so many women would pass judgment so quickly. If someone made the same sort of comment to an overweight person, everyone would be shocked and outraged, but no one seems to bat an eye when it's directed toward an underweight person.

What America needs is to stop judging other people's bodies. I know that's not going to happen . . . but I really wish it would.

While that picture makes me sick, I do have to agree with this. I remember being in medical school and male classmates telling that I weighted 70 lbs (I am 5'9, so I would be dead if I weighed that). It was very hurtful. Recently, I was in a bra shop that specialized in hard to fit sizes and the lady made a very rude comment about my size. It made me feel like maybe only the shop was for larger women even though they said they carry all sizes. We do need to accept women of all sizes and stop having this "ideal" size, whatever that is.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
very un-attractive!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Ive been extremely unhealthy skinny before and I was being complimented on how great I looked. That''s twisted. Models today look like underdeveloped boys with scowls.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m horrified a this image. I thought fashion was trying to get past the anorexic look?? I''m all for pushing boundaries, but this is too much in a national campaign.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
The "skinny" model looks like me when I was a teen and in my 20s. I am sooooo sick of people judging other people''s bodies. I am almost 53 and I am between 5''8" and 5''9" and weigh around 130 - 135 and have a 25 inch waist now. How many women my age can boast that? Pretty good for my age . My blood pressure is 110/60, resting pulse is around 60, cholestrol under 100, LDL around 30, HDL around 100. I have no physical ailments whatsoever, no back, knee problems and I take no medication. I don''t watch what I eat, but I eat healthy. That means no soda, rarely desserts unless it is fresh fruit, lots of fish and I love vegetables.

DD is very slim also at almost 17 years of . Right now 5''8" tall and weighs just over 100 lbs and has a 20 inch waist. She is constantly badgered by people calling her anorexic as she is downing a cheesburger and fries and washes it all down with a big glass of milk. She plays soccer and is very physically fit. The people who badger her constantly are quite overweight. Perhaps in their mind what they look like appears normal to them, but DD never criticizes them for being overweight and never tells them 2 sodas and 2 cheeseburgers are more than enough for them at one sitting. Why don''t people just shut up and keep their opinions to themselves!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2009 9:51:30 PM
Author: kenny

Date: 10/7/2009 7:28:10 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I know that clothing ''hangs'' more appropriately on thinner women with a lack of chest for ads,

Really?
So women looking more like men looks more appropriate for selling clothes?

Not trying to be snarky; just not sure why you picked the word appropriate.
Don''t assume because you are thin that you have no boobs. DD is a 32B and she is 5''8" and just over 100lbs. She has a defined bust, waist and hips. You don''t see any bones, but firm skin because she has muscle and little body fat. Last physical the doctor said she could be a role model for most of his teen patients who at her age already have high blood pressure and are at the verge of developing diabetes.

Her clothes hang very nicely on her.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Many are saying that being that thin looks unhealthy. So tell me how fat does one have to be for someone to say that it is also unhealthy? 20 lbs overweight, 50, 100, 200?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 9:38:39 AM
Author: soocool

DD is a 32B and she is 5'8' and just over 100lbs. She has a defined bust, waist and hips. You don't see any bones, but firm skin because she has muscle and little body fat. Last physical the doctor said she could be a role model for most of his teen patients who at her age already have high blood pressure and are at the verge of developing diabetes.

soocool-

No judgment, but are you sure of your daughter's weight? At 5'8'' and 105 lbs, her BMI would be at 16, and anything under 18.5 is classified as 'underweight.'

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
No, no problem with a healthy thin and a normal BMI.

My teens and early twenties doctors were always yelling at me to gain wait, I was 5'4" and 93 lbs. I played field hockey AND ate. I wasn't unhealthy. Now at 28... however I could lose 15lbs and still be fine.
41.gif

But photoshopped like that is just disturbing..... she looks thin and healthy and SOOOOO much better in the untouched photo!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
looks like a praying mantis

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2009 7:53:10 PM
Author: kenny
I wouldn''t be surprised if some doctors are developing bone surgery to shave pelvis bones to make the hips more narrow.

They already have lots of other cosmetic surgeries which must have been outlandish when new.
Why not start trimming away the bones?
DevelopING?? HAHA! Try developED.

My college roomate was told in 2001 that to be high fashion she was going to need to have her hips shaved. That was the end of her modeling career.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I think it was definitely a mistake on their part. I do know that the fashion world IS trying to emphasize health more with their models, and you can definitely tell which designers support what. I just hope we make a move towards healthy happy models. I do think we need to respect all body types. Some women are naturally thin. I have a friend who is tall, and rail thin, I have pushed her to model. She will also eat me out of house and home, and runs like a gazelle. For some, a typical model like body is normal, but for many it isn''t. I wish they would emphasize all on the runway.

I will say it is not automatically unhealthy if you are a size 0-2. I''m 5 2 and at a healthy weight of 110-113 (give or take eating bigger meals on weekends) I wear a 0-2 on most days, although I do have some 5''s hanging out
2.gif
I''m in a size 2 bridesmaid dress. I''m healthy, happy, in a normal BMI range, with a healthy workout schedule (normally considering I was just sick for a week and a half), and NORMALLY a big apatite (again, sick). So we are all different.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Soocool--
There will always be healthy thin women and healthy plump women. But when we offer ancedotes of ppl we know who fall into these categories it doesn''t sever to address the real issue, which is the pervasive use of clearly unatural images of the female physique and the effect it has on impressionable young girls. This model *may* be like your daughter, but it is no secret that the fashion industry is paluged by women with eating disorders and brushing it off as "well, maybe they just all have a fast metabolism" doesn''t help fight the systemic self-loathing a huge number of teenage girls feel toward their own body .

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 10:09:39 AM
Author: Jas12
Soocool--
There will always be healthy thin women and healthy plump women. But when we offer ancedotes of ppl we know who fall into these categories it doesn''t sever to address the real issue, which is the pervasive use of clearly unatural images of the female physique and the effect it has on impressionable young girls. This model *may* be like your daughter, but it is no secret that the fashion industry is paluged by women with eating disorders and brushing it off as ''well, maybe they just all have a fast metabolism'' doesn''t help fight the systemic self-loathing a huge number of teenage girls feel toward their own body .
36.gif

Well said, Jas12!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 9:46:54 AM
Author: EBree

Date: 10/8/2009 9:38:39 AM
Author: soocool

DD is a 32B and she is 5''8'' and just over 100lbs. She has a defined bust, waist and hips. You don''t see any bones, but firm skin because she has muscle and little body fat. Last physical the doctor said she could be a role model for most of his teen patients who at her age already have high blood pressure and are at the verge of developing diabetes.

soocool-

No judgment, but are you sure of your daughter''s weight? At 5''8'' and 105 lbs, her BMI would be at 16, and anything under 18.5 is classified as ''underweight.''
Using height and weight is just a cheater''s guide to figuring BMI. In other words it gives you a pretty good idea of what you BMI could be. Doctors use other criteria to determine BMI and accordng to her doctor she is healthy and not underweight.

#1. The doctor said that BMI should not be used for kids under the age of 18 as they are still growing, but can help identify those kids who are overweight.

#2. In athletes BMI''s are misleading. A football player who weighs a lot may have avery high BMI, but the BMI calculation doesn''t take into account his large muscle mass.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results