shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this skinny model attractive?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 9:11:07 PM
Author: cindygenit
I don''t think we are being judgemental towards skinny women at all. I mean, these models ARE underweight and they eat very little food to maintain their figure. They try to be skinny ON PURPOSE.

The picture that OP posted actually made me think that she is way too skinny to be attractive, but I have since learned that the photo has been tampered with!

Anyway, i believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It frustrates me that threads like this always end up the same way...

Pie, anyone?
2.gif

Have you read this entire thread? Or even just your post? Posters are being judgmental towards skinny women, yourself included.

How do you know that the models are underweight? How do you know how much food models eat? And how do you know these models try to be skinny ON PURPOSE? You don''t know anything, other than the fact that they''re skinny and you want to bash them for it. I''ll refrain from guessing at your motives for bashing them.

And I''d love to have some pie, but I just can''t-I''m starving myself to stay thin because no one could ever possibly be thin naturally!

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 10:13:43 PM
Author: thing2of2

I don''t think we are being judgemental towards skinny women at all. I mean, these models ARE underweight and they eat very little food to maintain their figure. They try to be skinny ON PURPOSE.

The picture that OP posted actually made me think that she is way too skinny to be attractive, but I have since learned that the photo has been tampered with!

Anyway, i believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It frustrates me that threads like this always end up the same way...

Pie, anyone?
2.gif

Have you read this entire thread? Or even just your post? Posters are being judgmental towards skinny women, yourself included.

How do you know that the models are underweight? How do you know how much food models eat? And how do you know these models try to be skinny ON PURPOSE? You don''t know anything, other than the fact that they''re skinny and you want to bash them for it. I''ll refrain from guessing at your motives for bashing them.

And I''d love to have some pie, but I just can''t-I''m starving myself to stay thin because no one could ever possibly be thin naturally!
I don''t know what they eat or don''t eat. I have read perhaps one or two articles where models actually admit that they have to eat little and remember one where the model actually shared her food diary, and literally she ate brown rice and tofu everyday with the occasional champagne.

I am not trying to bash all thin women here. But I was under the impression that models have to be a certain size, and its hard to believe they all have super fast metabolism.

For the record, i never said or implied that NO ONE could ever possibly be thin.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 10:36:30 PM
I don''t know what they eat or don''t eat. I have read perhaps one or two articles where models actually admit that they have to eat little and remember one where the model actually shared her food diary, and literally she ate brown rice and tofu everyday with the occasional champagne.
That sounds delicious!
18.gif
And not all that low-cal.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 10:42:35 PM
Author: musey

That sounds delicious!
18.gif
LOL It actually does! I love me a brown rice salad
2.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 10:13:43 PM

Pie, anyone?
2.gif

Well call me judgemental but most fashion models are too skinny & for 99% it isnt because they have a high metabolism it is because they want work.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

That sounds delicious!
18.gif

Ha, ditto!

The thing is, models couldn''t be models if they didn''t have the bone structure and metabolism. You can''t starve yourself into a 24" waist and a 32" hip. Models would seriously be dropping like flies if the majority of them starved themselves on a daily basis. And I''m not saying no models have eating disorders-I''m sure some do. But the majority of them are very young and their metabolisms are still working at high speed.

And as hard as it is to admit, it''s healthy to be thin! And I haven''t done the research, but I''m quite sure that more women in the U.S. suffer from obesity than an eating disorder. Where''s the outrage and concern about the obesity epidemic in America? There, I said it-I better go hide from the Real Women Police!

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I''m surprised that you think a lot of models eat well, don''t starve themselves etc. They may be skinny & tall to start but that doesn''t mean that they won''t drop to an unhealthy weight for the sake of work. Look up Ana Carolina Reston.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 11:00:19 PM

That sounds delicious!
18.gif

Ha, ditto!

The thing is, models couldn''t be models if they didn''t have the bone structure and metabolism. You can''t starve yourself into a 24'' waist and a 32'' hip. Models would seriously be dropping like flies if the majority of them starved themselves on a daily basis. And I''m not saying no models have eating disorders-I''m sure some do. But the majority of them are very young and their metabolisms are still working at high speed.

And as hard as it is to admit, it''s healthy to be thin! And I haven''t done the research, but I''m quite sure that more women in the U.S. suffer from obesity than an eating disorder. Where''s the outrage and concern about the obesity epidemic in America? There, I said it-I better go hide from the Real Women Police!
Well no good can come from debating this issue any more. I don''t want to be ignorant. I realise some models are very young and have really high metabolism and thats how they stay thin.

I do take offence by this comment however.

"You don''t know anything, other than the fact that they''re skinny and you want to bash them for it. I''ll refrain from guessing at your motives for bashing them."

I know some things, and I know myself and I would never bash anyone on purpose. Have fun guessing my "motives", since I don''t know them myself.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 11:08:43 PM
Author: VegasAngel
I guess I''m surprised that you think a lot of models eat well, don''t starve themselves etc. They may be skinny & tall to start but that doesn''t mean that they won''t drop to an unhealthy weight for the sake of work. Look up Ana Carolina Reston.

Absolutely, I don''t think that''s an unknown fact.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 11:08:43 PM
Author: VegasAngel
I guess I'm surprised that you think a lot of models eat well, don't starve themselves etc. They may be skinny & tall to start but that doesn't mean that they won't drop to an unhealthy weight for the sake of work. Look up Ana Carolina Reston.

I guess I'm surprised that everyone seems to think all models have eating disorders, so that makes 2 surprised posters! I'm well aware that some models have eating disorders. However, I think most of them are naturally thin. They might watch what they eat to stay that way, but that doesn't mean they have eating disorders. As I've gotten older I have to eat a bit healthier than I used to in order to stay toned and thin. Does that mean I have an eating disorder?

An acquaintance of mine is a runway model in New York, and is extremely thin. She has an identical twin sister who doesn't model and has had a kid. Guess what-her identical twin sister is just as thin as her! And no, they don't have identical eating disorders. It's ridiculous to say that all models have eating disorders.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I didnt say all models have eating disorders though a good majority do.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry for the doughnut comment.
In fact, I'm sorry I started this thread.

This subject seems to touch a nerve and bring out lots of hostility.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know what they eat or don't eat. I have read perhaps one or two articles where models actually admit that they have to eat little and remember one where the model actually shared her food diary, and literally she ate brown rice and tofu everyday with the occasional champagne.
That sounds delicious!
18.gif
Ha, ditto!

The thing is, models couldn't be models if they didn't have the bone structure and metabolism. You can't starve yourself into a 24' waist and a 32' hip. Models would seriously be dropping like flies if the majority of them starved themselves on a daily basis. And I'm not saying no models have eating disorders-I'm sure some do. But the majority of them are very young and their metabolisms are still working at high speed.

And as hard as it is to admit, it's healthy to be thin! And I haven't done the research, but I'm quite sure that more women in the U.S. suffer from obesity than an eating disorder. Where's the outrage and concern about the obesity epidemic in America? There, I said it-I better go hide from the Real Women Police!
Thing2, you know I love ya girlie, but I'm a little surprised you don't know more about this subject!

Unfortunately eating disorders come in many forms, from anorexia to binge eating, so ANY WOMAN of ANY SHAPE can be going through an eating disorder. It isn't just about anorexia/bulimia (of which there is a lot of false information out there) and being the skinniest possible.

In reality though, eating disorders are most often about having psychological hangups with food, or using food as an emotional crutch--by eating or not eating it. And often once a woman has ONE eating disorder, she will usually have more. They also comorbid with multiple other psychological issues that I'm not going into.

My point is this: this image in particular, but also the proportions (thank you musey) are not attainable naturally for 99% of the population. Those who can, are VERY lucky.

Also, for the record, the NUMBER ONE predictor of developing an eating disorder is going on a diet. So be careful if you're attempting to change your eating habits ladies!

As for obesity, I think that most people who are obese have psychological issues with food, often with problems of binge eating, or bulimia (because bulimia doesn't help you lose weight, in case you're interested). But the obesity epidemic we're going through now is due to many factors. It is part of our evolutionary body makeup for humans to eat as much food and put on as much fat as possible for times of famine. Technology and fast foods (read: high fat, high calorie, high carbohydrate and low vegetable) are making it hard for the everyday person to eat a reasonable healthy amount of calories, and get a reasonable amount of exercise. There are other factors, including genetics, but I think I've PSAed enough today...

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2009 12:10:10 AM
Author: kenny
I''m sorry for the doughnut comment.

In fact, I''m sorry I started this thread.

Are you actually surprised by that??
3.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2009 12:37:50 AM
Author: FrekeChild

That sounds delicious!
18.gif

Ha, ditto!

The thing is, models couldn''t be models if they didn''t have the bone structure and metabolism. You can''t starve yourself into a 24'' waist and a 32'' hip. Models would seriously be dropping like flies if the majority of them starved themselves on a daily basis. And I''m not saying no models have eating disorders-I''m sure some do. But the majority of them are very young and their metabolisms are still working at high speed.

Thing2, you know I love ya girlie, but I''m a little surprised you don''t know more about this subject!

Unfortunately eating disorders come in many forms, from anorexia to binge eating, so ANY WOMAN of ANY SHAPE can be going through an eating disorder. It isn''t just about anorexia/bulimia (of which there is a lot of false information out there) and being the skinniest possible.

In reality though, eating disorders are most often about having psychological hangups with food, or using food as an emotional crutch--by eating or not eating it. And often once a woman has ONE eating disorder, she will usually have more. They also comorbid with multiple other psychological issues that I''m not going into.

My point is this: this image in particular, but also the proportions (thank you musey) are not attainable naturally for 99% of the population. Those who can, are VERY lucky.

Also, for the record, the NUMBER ONE predictor of developing an eating disorder is going on a diet. So be careful if you''re attempting to change your eating habits ladies!

As for obesity, I think that most people who are obese have psychological issues with food, often with problems of binge eating, or bulimia (because bulimia doesn''t help you lose weight, in case you''re interested). But the obesity epidemic we''re going through now is due to many factors. It is part of our evolutionary body makeup for humans to eat as much food and put on as much fat as possible for times of famine. Technology and fast foods (read: high fat, high calorie, high carbohydrate and low vegetable) are making it hard for the everyday person to eat a reasonable healthy amount of calories, and get a reasonable amount of exercise. There are other factors, including genetics, but I think I''ve PSAed enough today...

You''re surprised I don''t know more about what subject? The percentage of models with anorexia? Because that''s all I''ve been talking about. I''m certainly no expert on eating disorders (being accused of bulimia and anorexia doesn''t make me an expert, sadly) but I''m familiar with the fashion industry. I''ve worked as a buyer and a stylist and even did a bit of modeling in my younger days.

All of the models I''ve come into contact with were clearly thin, but most don''t appear unhealthy. They looked a lot like the models musey posted photos of-thin, but certainly not emaciated. And I''m not arguing that all women with eating disorders are thin-I''m arguing that all thin women don''t have eating disorders. However, many posters on this thread are arguing that all thin women do have eating disorders. I''m thinking they''re the ones who need the eating disorder education efforts.

My sister in law''s best friend has struggled with anorexia and bulimia for years, and even the skinniest of the models I see on the runways don''t come CLOSE to what she looked like the last time I saw her. You could see every bone in her body, her ass was completely flat (except for the bones poking through her jeans) and her thighs were only a little bit bigger than my biceps. The majority of models don''t even come close to looking that thin. I wish I had a photo of her-I think it would make it pretty clear what a thin woman with an actual eating disorder looks like. On the flip side, a friend of the family also struggled with bulimia. But to the naked eye, she looked to be on the overweight side of average.

And as for the picture that started this all, it''s clearly just a photoshop disaster. I don''t know a single model who looks like that in real life. And I''d wager that her proportions in that photo is unattainable to 100% of the population!

All I''ve been saying is that some people are naturally thin, models included. When thin got equated with eating disorders in this country, I''m not sure. Just because being overweight is the norm in this country doesn''t mean that being thin is unhealthy.

I came here to comment on the creepy photoshopped picture.. but now I can''t remember what I was going to say.

I do know that regardless of my size (or your size, or even YOUR size) people should shove a sock in it and just accept people or the fact that people have the right to choose (or not choose). Skinny. Fat. Ultra Fat. Ultra skinny.... black, white, orange, blue eyes, brown eyes, piercings, tattoos, curly hair, boob implants, butt cheek implants---- IMO it''s none of ya beeswax and the fighting or hating on each other should swerve closer to loving the fact that we''re all different. I mean, how awesome is that!

I have skinny ankles. I hate them. They make the rest of my body look fatter. But, I was pretty proud that a few weeks ago I was arm wrestling some friends (while drinking) and I beat out the girl that works out. Sweet. Score one for the lazy potato. I think I''ll dwell on the latter.

SO, WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOURSELF?

What sets you apart and makes you amazing?

20.gif
20.gif
20.gif
Is it working? My off topic-ness?

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 10:46:46 PM

That sounds delicious!
18.gif
LOL It actually does! I love me a brown rice salad
2.gif

One of my favorite meals!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/9/2009 12:39:19 AM
Date: 10/9/2009 12:10:10 AM

Are you actually surprised by that??
3.gif

No.
It is totally understandable.

One reason I'm not surprised is all of these photoshopped images that the media bombards young women with.
The constant barrage brainwashes us into thinking that "a skeleton figure IS beauty and looking 20 is better than looking 55 ".
It is an anatomically impossible goal.

We've all see that Dove Evolution Video

I may be a cynical old grump but I have a suspicion that this is all about money.
The worse women feel about how they look the more money they'll spend on products, diets and procedures to pursue the impossible and delay the inevitable.

I have a very strong opinion: eat right and exercise and your body will be whatever size it is supposed to be.
That will result in a range of body sizes.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ummm...this girl is in need of a greasy burger, washed down with a triple thick milkshake.

Thats all I''ve got.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uh oh.

Where is that doughnut critic?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2009 11:26:56 AM
Uh oh.

Where is that doughnut critic?
I thought you were sorry about the doughnut comment? And here you are bringing it up sarcastically. I hope this thread is closed before peoples'' feelings are hurt over continous debating over what is considered too thin/sexy, etc.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just pointing out that lots of people have a sense of humor that others can take offense at.
Even a rep from a PS vendor.

I posts in support of healthy attitudes for women's body size.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2009 1:03:54 PM
Just pointing out that lots of people have a sense of humor.
Even a rep from a PS vendor.

I posts in support of healthy attitudes for women''s body size.
Well, the deal is when people are posting, it''s impossible for some to get their TONE across when writing out what they have to say. Seems to me not everyone is taking comments as a demonstration of their sense of humor and/or if they are, some others aren''t seeing it that way.

Anyway, I''m moving on from this thread. I''ve said all I''m wanting to. I''d rather look at the SMTR forum.
2.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No problem MC; I never intend to offend.
I do like to let my hair down and be myself though.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Anyone watch America''s Next Top Model? They eat a LOT.

kthxbye!
35.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a TV show.

Even most "reality" TV is not real.
It is for the camera.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I actually think there are probably many many very healthy models, but there ARE those that are taking an unhealthy approach and that is what the modeling industry no longer wants to support. I''ve been watching the Hills and The City and was really excited to see the MAIN featured designer/company owner really worried about girls that are too thin, and making a point of mentioning it regularly. Part of me feels like she''s really trying to get the message out.

I do hope this could continue as a good thread, I can see where it could have positive discussion on what healthy habits are. Maybe we could discuss healthy habits that young girls who see these models should actually be trying to adopt, like healthy eating habits, healthy exercise habits.

I for one think that diet and exercise are important no matter the size.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
personally i'd like to see the fashion industry stop perpetuating these ridiculous notions that looking like that photoshopped cover is even ATTAINABLE. i don't even know a naturally thin woman who looks like that. the prevalence of photoshop has really done a number on what people perceive as mainstream in general. anyone seen maxim lately?? haha.

browsing the thread, it always baffles me when i see people acting as though people are personally attacking THEM when an opinion one way or the other is voiced. of course people's husbands find them attractive, that's not up for debate. it takes all kinds of people to appreciate other types of people. preferences are just that...preferences. it would be BORING if everyone liked the same thing.

this reminds me of that 'is tanning attractive' thread. kenny you're such a troublemaker.
3.gif

i wish i was 'naturally thin'. HA. that is not the case though it may have been when i was a teen. but when i was thinner after working at it, my hub thought i was too thin and didn't like that he could see my spine on my back. he def likes 'more meat'. i was totally happy thinking i looked fab. my coworker is naturally tiny, eats like a horse, and has the hip size i had when i was 15, even though she has naturally had 2 kids. i just look at ice cream and my hips widen. go figure. it takes all kinds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results