shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this sapphire worth buying?

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I'm seeking all your experts' advice on this blue sapphire.
It is a 4.26 CT FLAWLESS ROYAL BLUE KANCHANABURI SAPPHIRE as per seller's description.
9.32 * Depth 5.30 MM

I always want a square cushion in 8~9mm range and this one seems meet the criteria. But this one is heated.

Questions:
1. Is there any cutting issue with this stone? Is depth 5.3 too shallow?
2. Is this color royal blue? It seems a bit darker in picture. I requested video but have not heard from seller yet.
3. What's the reasonable price for this stone?
4. Is heat really bad?

s-l500_0.jpg s-l500_0.jpg s-l500__2_.jpg s-l500__1_.jpg

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
imdoubler,

I responded to you in my thread but I see now that you have a thread for this stone so lets talk here.

That depth is to shallow and the pictures definitely show that. This stone will window.

2. Is this color royal blue? It seems a bit darker in picture. I requested video but have not heard from seller yet.
Royal Blue is a subjective description. If they send you a video that would help but in my experience this stone will be very dark.

Hard to say but I wouldn't think it to be worth anywhere near what they are asking for it. That price cut in half is still high to me. But I am picky.

4. Is heat really bad?
Traditional Heating isn't that big of a deal if you are ok with it and the seller tells you about it.

If you have not read this yet check it out! :read:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/
~Justin

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re heat.... I hate it. So for me yes its really bad and a deal breaker. Don't get me wrong I would buy a heated stone if i just loved the colour but in my mind that puts it on par with costume jewellery (not right on par but I can't love and respect it as much as an ugly unheated stone).

I know I am very much in the minority in this but gemstones for me have never been about just the colour. To me it's the whole package of being in the ground with/in that colour that makes it special in the first place.

Eg 2 sapphires, 1 is a perfect royal blue but heated and the other is a light grey royal blue...unheated. I'd love the colour of the first stone (wouldn't buy unless I'd brought all my wish list stones) but I wouldn't respect it.

I'd hate the colour of the second stone but I would respect it (more then the heated one).

I know, I'm a weirdo :roll:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Yes, there is a cut issue with the stone. It is shallow and even if not windowed, it will have a large tilt window at the slightest tilt.
2. Whatever shade anyone calls it, it is a very dark stone and is likely to look blackish in person.
3. Not a stone I would personally buy at any price.
4. Heat isn't a bad thing as long as no other minerals are added and the price accounts for the heat treatment.

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
Justin_Cutter|1452430264|3973636 said:
imdoubler,

I responded to you in my thread but I see now that you have a thread for this stone so lets talk here.

That depth is to shallow and the pictures definitely show that. This stone will window.

Royal Blue is a subjective description. If they send you a video that would help but in my experience this stone will be very dark.

Hard to say but I wouldn't think it to be worth anywhere near what they are asking for it. That price cut in half is still high to me. But I am picky.

4. Is heat really bad?
Traditional Heating isn't that big of a deal if you are ok with it and the seller tells you about it.

If you have not read this yet check it out! :read:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/
~Justin

Thanks Justin. I do feel this stone is a bit shallow but I m no expert. I'm Ok with medium dark color once the stone is set. So the fact that this stone is so dark by itself is a deal breaker. I think I'm OK with traditional heat if the price is good. I will keep hunting then :)

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
theredspinel|1452434282|3973653 said:
Re heat.... I hate it. So for me yes its really bad and a deal breaker. Don't get me wrong I would buy a heated stone if i just loved the colour but in my mind that puts it on par with costume jewellery (not right on par but I can't love and respect it as much as an ugly unheated stone).

I know I am very much in the minority in this but gemstones for me have never been about just the colour. To me it's the whole package of being in the ground with/in that colour that makes it special in the first place.

Eg 2 sapphires, 1 is a perfect royal blue but heated and the other is a light grey royal blue...unheated. I'd love the colour of the first stone (wouldn't buy unless I'd brought all my wish list stones) but I wouldn't respect it.

I'd hate the colour of the second stone but I would respect it (more then the heated one).

I know, I'm a weirdo :roll:

Thanks for your inputs.
I think I'm OK with traditional heat if the price is good. I'm after the cut and color. Even for color, I'm not so crazy about the vivid royal blue. I'm OK with medium dark color(once it set).

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
qubitasaurus|1452498236|3974054 said:
If you want something to compare against for price and colour, this one might help.

http://gemcal.com/fine-gems/royal-blue-sapphire-4-79-cts-1850

Everything gets darker when set, so you really want to be careful it's not to dark to begin with.

This is nice stone! But I would prefer somewhat a bit darker blue than this. I'm not sure how the setting will contribute to darker the color.

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1452517713|3974113 said:
1. Yes, there is a cut issue with the stone. It is shallow and even if not windowed, it will have a large tilt window at the slightest tilt.
2. Whatever shade anyone calls it, it is a very dark stone and is likely to look blackish in person.
3. Not a stone I would personally buy at any price.
4. Heat isn't a bad thing as long as no other minerals are added and the price accounts for the heat treatment.

Thanks. I guess I will pass this stone and keep searching.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vendors typically photograph the best blue, so expect the stone to be darker in person, darker than that when indoors, then darker than that again once set.

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1452534715|3974263 said:
Vendors typically photograph the best blue, so expect the stone to be darker in person, darker than that when indoors, then darker than that again once set.

well said. I will definitely pay attention on that. I will post possible candidate here for you experts' advice once I find one

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
Here is one I like but it is a bit smaller(~8mm) than what i'm looking for (~9mm). It might be darker than what ppl usually look for but I somewhat love this color. It will be perfect for me to have a stone get set and have this color. For this particular one, I'm not sure how darker it will be once got set.
Again, I'm not really crazy about vivid royal blue. It is not my color.

Does this cutting on this stone look ok?

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-sapphire-327ct-blue-cushion-cut-sapphire-r6188

r6188-sapphire-nicely-cut-blue-b.jpg r6188-sapphire-nicely-cut-blue.jpg r6188-sapphire-nicely-cut.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He loves to flood his stones with strong backlighting in photographs. If you look at the initial video, the sapphire is extremely dark, and I say it very kindly. It seems you are attracted to blue sapphires that borders on looking blackish?

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1452546349|3974395 said:
He loves to flood his stones with strong backlighting in photographs. If you look at the initial video, the sapphire is extremely dark, and I say it very kindly. It seems you are attracted to blue sapphires that borders on looking blackish?

I'm not fan of vivid royal blue to say the least. Example is this picture. I'm not after this kind of color.

sapphire_blue_1185.jpg

But I'm not after blackish blue sapphire neither. Hmmm i dont know how to describe the color I like :confused: :confused: :confused: Maybe something like rich, deep blue but not blackish. If this color in picture is the real color of a stone after set, I will be very happy.

r6188-sapphire-nicely-cut-blue.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You like a medium dark grayish blue sapphire. You have to start looking for something lighter because as mentioned earlier, the sapphire will darken in person and after it is set.

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1452602986|3974675 said:
You like a medium dark grayish blue sapphire. You have to start looking for something lighter because as mentioned earlier, the sapphire will darken in person and after it is set.

Im actually considering this one and I see you mentioned it in another thread.
12108224_10205281850594376_1688185079787035496_n.jpg

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
I found another candidate stone. would like to get some experts opinion here.
It looks like between medium vivid to vivid dark. Very close to the color I'm after but it is HEATED.

here is the sell description:

5.07 ct Vivid blue sapphire
$11,900
One-of-a-kind vivid royal blue sapphire with 2 Certificates. Contrary to most large blue sapphires, which are usually cut with bulky pavilions to preserve as much weight as possible from the rough crystal, this stone has been cut for beauty rather than weight. This means it displays full luster throughout the entire face of the stone, not just the periphery as with many comparable specimens, and faces the same size as many 6-8 carat gems would – but with the superior luster and color that comes with a perfectly-proportioned cut. Don’t buy weight, buy beauty!
Pictures are taken is in natural afternoon sunlight
Please see the videos and read comments.
Special price: $11900
Shipping included. EU clients add 25% VAT or supply your VAT nr.
Payment by Paypal. 7 days inspection
Type: Sapphire
Weight: 5.07 ct
Size: 10x10x6.1
Shape: Square cushion
Cut: Faceted,mixed-cut
Clarity: Eye clean
Color: vivid, royal blue
The quality of color in this stone is worth re-iterating. Considerable experience with the local Sri Lankan market teaches this color is exceedingly hard to find even at the source.
Treatment: Simple Heat Treated
Origin: Sri Lanka

10157334_197885910565926_6362551724882808848_n__1__0.jpg
12540750_197885913899259_1178241876700739791_n.jpg 10157334_197885910565926_6362551724882808848_n.jpg
12575848_197907593897091_90617458_n.jpg

some video:
https://youtu.be/P-B_NbE_Beg
https://youtu.be/vymVHqgWTVw
https://youtu.be/2fSgaPPDudg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results