shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this ring hazy or am I going crazy?

Alicer2014

Rough_Rock
Today I found a cubic zirconia ring which I used to show my fiance the type of ring design I like and I really wish I didn't...

I can't stop thinking how cloudy my diamond looks next to it and I keep over analysing the GIA report -5336977588- and feeling frustrated with our jeweller for not saying anything as we are now out of the refund period.

I can't work out if I'm over thinking things or if there is genuinely an issue with the haziness/cloudyness and I would really appreciate your input

20200923_112557.jpg 20200923_112636.jpg 20200923_112651.jpg 20200923_112720.jpg 20200923_112816.jpg

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would get it professionally cleaned and compare them again. A diamond can acquire film on the pavilion in just a few hand washings that could account for what you are seeing.

There is not much in the GIA report that would indicate an appreciable transparency concern.

Alicer2014

Rough_Rock
I would get it professionally cleaned and compare them again. A diamond can acquire film on the pavilion in just a few hand washings that could account for what you are seeing.

There is not much in the GIA report that would indicate an appreciable transparency concern.

Thank you for your response. I tried to clean it myself before I took the pictures. I've only been wearing it for a month and have been cleaning it every week this is what it looked like when I first got it 20200923_203321.jpg

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good that you are cleaning it often. But unless you use steam, it's really hard to get the film off the pavilion. Once it builds up and hardens then you need ultrasonic and steam.

There are some home devices of this kind that are not too expensive. It's a good thing to invest in if you want to keep your diamonds looking their best.

Was just going to come in and suggest a really good deep clean. Since your setting doesn’t have any pave, you could pop it in an ultrasonic (if you have one). Also, how do you clean your diamond? Maybe try giving it a really good scrub and a long soak with some dish soap and hot water (and soft toothbrush) first, and if that doesn’t work, getting your jeweler to clean it. Diamonds attract oils almost by osmosis :roll2:

Alicer2014

Rough_Rock
Was just going to come in and suggest a really good deep clean. Since your setting doesn’t have any pave, you could pop it in an ultrasonic (if you have one). Also, how do you clean your diamond? Maybe try giving it a really good scrub and a long soak with some dish soap and hot water (and soft toothbrush) first, and if that doesn’t work, getting your jeweler to clean it. Diamonds attract oils almost by osmosis :roll2:

I usually pop it in hot water w/ dish soap and then use a diamond dazzle stick or soft toothbrush. I actually did that before I took the pics that day.

Think I'll need to invest in an ultrasonic if the route of the issue is dirt as opposed to something inherently wrong with the stone.

I guess I was also comparing a ring with a months wear to essentially an unworn brand new cubic stone too.

Thank you for your response - you'd think paying so much for a stone that it wouldn't attract dirt so easily!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
diamonds are hydrophobic. they repel water and ATTRACT grease and oils.

your best bet is an at home ultrasonic cleaner with a steam option or an ammonia based solution cleaner. i use both. i clean diamonds that i wear daily, once or twice a day.

Alicer2014

Rough_Rock
diamonds are hydrophobic. they repel water and ATTRACT grease and oils.

your best bet is an at home ultrasonic cleaner with a steam option or an ammonia based solution cleaner. i use both. i clean diamonds that i wear daily, once or twice a day.

Thanks for your response - I'm just paranoid if it needs a proper clean with sonic (I do it myself weekly using dishwasher liquid/tooth brush) or if the stone itself is cloudy/hazy and cleaning won't help

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TBH the CZ is what looks hazy to me in those photos than the stone ::)

There are no flags on your stone's report. I'll quadritto the recommendation to give it a nice, long, intense bath - your local jeweller can steam it whilst you wait. It's a lovely size on you and I think the pinched shank that you want will set it off beautifully ::)

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
I usually pop it in hot water w/ dish soap and then use a diamond dazzle stick or soft toothbrush. I actually did that before I took the pics that day.

@Alicer2014 I used to have the "red" Diamond Dazzle Stik and the local store no longer carried it, so (obviously) I stopped using it when I ran out. Last year I found a blue Diamond Dazzle Stik and bought a couple of them.

At the time, I would use the Dazzle Stik rather than haul out the ultrasonic cleaner. Gradually, I noticed that the ring I used it on most (2ct old brilliant/trannie diamond) began to look slightly smeary and I couldn't get it clean with the Dazzle Stik. I louped it and it looked just... smeary, as though there was Vaseline or something on it.

I looked closer at some packaging and noticed that it said something about polymers, if I recall correctly. Hmm! I wondered if perhaps there was a ever so slight coating being left on the stone. I hauled out the ultrasonic to give it a deep clean. Voila! Smeariness gone. Since then, I haven't used the Dazzle Stik.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As @Texas Leaguer and @yssie said, there are no characteristics in the GIA report to indicate anything that would cause your diamond to look hazy. As the others have suggested, take it for a professional cleaning. If you're still concerned after that, I would take it to an appraiser for their opinion....just to put your mind at ease.

Alicer2014

Rough_Rock
@Alicer2014 I used to have the "red" Diamond Dazzle Stik and the local store no longer carried it, so (obviously) I stopped using it when I ran out. Last year I found a blue Diamond Dazzle Stik and bought a couple of them.

At the time, I would use the Dazzle Stik rather than haul out the ultrasonic cleaner. Gradually, I noticed that the ring I used it on most (2ct old brilliant/trannie diamond) began to look slightly smeary and I couldn't get it clean with the Dazzle Stik. I louped it and it looked just... smeary, as though there was Vaseline or something on it.

I looked closer at some packaging and noticed that it said something about polymers, if I recall correctly. Hmm! I wondered if perhaps there was a ever so slight coating being left on the stone. I hauled out the ultrasonic to give it a deep clean. Voila! Smeariness gone. Since then, I haven't used the Dazzle Stik.

How interesting! I'll stop using the dazzle stick for now and invest in an ultrasonic. Do you have any particular recommendations or would one from Amazon with decent reviews suffice?

Alicer2014

Rough_Rock
As @Texas Leaguer and @yssie said, there are no characteristics in the GIA report to indicate anything that would cause your diamond to look hazy. As the others have suggested, take it for a professional cleaning. If you're still concerned after that, I would take it to an appraiser for their opinion....just to put your mind at ease.

Thank you! I've been meaning to get it independently appraised anyway so maybe this will give another push to do it

L

lydial

Ha! At first I thought we are looking at the CZ and I thought, “oh nelly that is a hazy stone”... but your diamond just looks dirty. I have 2 CBIs and they send a bottle of “Lavish” foam gem cleaner. Very highly recommend, and my maGina sonic with grandma’s concentrated jewel cleaner (Amazon). Good luck!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
How interesting! I'll stop using the dazzle stick for now and invest in an ultrasonic. Do you have any particular recommendations or would one from Amazon with decent reviews suffice?

@Alicer2014 This is the one I have: Stainless Steel 1.3L Liter Industry Heated Ultrasonic Cleaner Heater Timer 110V I really like it, although I never use the heater function. I just start it off with warm water and some Dawn dish soap, then let it run for 10 minutes or so. I put the jewelry in a small plastic basket so there's no contact between the pieces.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I have an ultrasonic with steam but honestly I feel I’ve had much better results in using a little bit of Dawn in a small (mini) Pyrex dish, put a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup with about a quarter cup of water into microwave for about 2 minutes until boiling, add it to the dish with the Dawn, swish it around, THEN GENTLY PUT YOUR RING into the dish. Swish the water around the ring and let it sit overnight. In the morning take a little gentle brush and with care gently clean every nook and cranny in between prongs and especially the pavilion (underside). Continue to dip the brush into the dish to get more soapy water. BE SURE YOU HAVE THE STOPPER SECURELY CLOSING OFF THE DRAIN... for extra security, after using the stopper, put a washcloth over the drain as an added layer. After spending time brushing all areas, rinse with the hottest water your hands can take. Dry with a clean, soft, lint-free cloth/paper. If cloth, be sure it hasn’t been washed/dried with fabric softener or you will just introduce back to the ring a film again.
Make sure you are not using lotion or apply hair products or bathing with your ring on. Do not wash your hands with conditioning soaps, and don’t use hand sanitizer with your ring on. But just AVOID using those products... don’t take your ring off to apply these products when away from home as you run the risk of forgetting your ring and having someone else take it.
On the cleaning overnight procedure as mentioned above, it may require more than one round in the beginning. Thereafter do this every night. And I agree with what has been said about the Dazzle Stick. I think it makes the ring dirtier in the long run.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an ultrasonic with steam but honestly I feel I’ve had much better results in using a little bit of Dawn in a small (mini) Pyrex dish, put a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup with about a quarter cup of water into microwave for about 2 minutes until boiling, add it to the dish with the Dawn, swish it around, THEN GENTLY PUT YOUR RING into the dish. Swish the water around the ring and let it sit overnight. In the morning take a little gentle brush and with care gently clean every nook and cranny in between prongs and especially the pavilion (underside). Continue to dip the brush into the dish to get more soapy water. BE SURE YOU HAVE THE STOPPER SECURELY CLOSING OFF THE DRAIN... for extra security, after using the stopper, put a washcloth over the drain as an added layer. After spending time brushing all areas, rinse with the hottest water your hands can take. Dry with a clean, soft, lint-free cloth/paper. If cloth, be sure it hasn’t been washed/dried with fabric softener or you will just introduce back to the ring a film again.
Make sure you are not using lotion or apply hair products or bathing with your ring on. Do not wash your hands with conditioning soaps, and don’t use hand sanitizer with your ring on. But just AVOID using those products... don’t take your ring off to apply these products when away from home as you run the risk of forgetting your ring and having someone else take it.
On the cleaning overnight procedure as mentioned above, it may require more than one round in the beginning. Thereafter do this every night. And I agree with what has been said about the Dazzle Stick. I think it makes the ring dirtier in the long run.

I agree. Dawn is terrific. I even take a little bottle when I travel. Often, at home, when I take my rings off at night I leave them in a jar of dawn solution overnight.
And in my experience as well, the dazzle stick does not get a diamond clean.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I normally use Dawn and hot water and my diamonds look sparkly as ever. When that stops working I use a toothbrush along with the Dawn and hot water. I've had to repeat the process a couple of times when I've gotten hair products or oil/lotion/sunscreen/hand sanitizer on my rings. I keep Bling Wipes in my purse for on-the-go cleaning.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I normally use Dawn and hot water and my diamonds look sparkly as ever. When that stops working I use a toothbrush along with the Dawn and hot water. I've had to repeat the process a couple of times when I've gotten hair products or oil/lotion/sunscreen/hand sanitizer on my rings. I keep Bling Wipes in my purse for on-the-go cleaning.

A useful trick is to find a brush at an art supply store that has long and fine, but stiff bristles. The typical tooth brush, because the bristles are relatively course, does not reach as much of the surface area of the pavilion as some specialty brushes will. And this can make significant difference in the result.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
ive never tired dawn before. what makes dawn superior to other dishwashing liquids such as caldrea or a castille liquid soap like dr bronners?? is dawn bio-degradable or eco friendly??

i have put diamond jewelry in a cordial or shot glass with a few drops of caldrea or dr. bronners and poured in hot water straight from a boiling kettle.

the result are very nice but not as nice as the ultrasonic or the ammonia based jewelry cleaning solution. i'd love to be able to put away the bulky ultrasonic as it takes up valuable counter space.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The most effective cleanser for next to nothing is Dawn with a bit of elbow grease and a brush. It actually works with any antisulfactant, which includes Windex, pretty much any brand of dish soap, and most other non-abrasive household cleansers. You're looking for something that breaks down grease and then rinse it away with water. A final rinse at the end with distilled water helps to prevent water spots.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Back when I had a jewelry shop we kept a boiling pot of lie, aka drain cleaner, in the back for this purpose. It works great. The problem is that the fumes are poisonous. It'll wreck your clothes and strip the floor tiles. Don't get it on your skin. On diamonds it's great, but you just don't need this sort of thing in your house when elbow grease and Windex works almost as well.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone tried pink solution? My goldsmith says it’s gentle for jewelry but hard on organic matter. I haven’t tried it myself though. These are the ingredients: https://pinksolution.ca/pages/ingredients

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@denverappraiser

windex, that is what the jewelry solution cleaner smells like ... its the ammonia
so chemically, technically, once the tub of jewelry cleaner gets mucky, murky,
i can dump it out, rinse out the container and refill the liquid contents with windex??

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@denverappraiser

windex, that is what the jewelry solution cleaner smells like ... its the ammonia
so chemically, technically, once the tub of jewelry cleaner gets mucky, murky,
i can dump it out, rinse out the container and refill the liquid contents with windex??

Yes. Or Palmolive, or Simple Green, or Mr. Clean, or just about anything else in that general aisle at the store.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ive never tired dawn before. what makes dawn superior to other dishwashing liquids such as caldrea or a castille liquid soap like dr bronners?? is dawn bio-degradable or eco friendly??

I am not familiar with those brands.
Dawn like the commercials say is a great geese and oil remover and most importantly for diamond lovers leaves no residue.
It is used to clean wildlife after oil spills.
It has replaced many harsher and environmentally questionable chemicals in industry.
Basically if Dawn wont remove it then you need commercial grade steam or acid which is best left to a professional.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. Or Palmolive, or Simple Green, or Mr. Clean, or just about anything else in that general aisle at the store.

i see. thank you!!

of course i want THE most effective cleaner for diamonds. BUT i also care about using something that doesn't do so much harm to the environment, preferably no harm

that's why i got the ultrasonic with steam option, as it just uses water.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I am not familiar with those brands.
Dawn like the commercials say is a great geese and oil remover and most importantly for diamond lovers leaves no residue.
It is used to clean wildlife after oil spills.
It has replaced many harsher and environmentally questionable chemicals in industry.
Basically if Dawn wont remove it then you need commercial grade steam or acid which is best left to a professional.

pheewww, so happy to know that dawn is environmental!

thanks very much karl, for saving me some research time. greatly appreciate it!!!

im going to get some dawn when i leave the house for groceries

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results