shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this ring Edwardian?

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I’m considering an original antique diamond ring and wondering what era it might be from? Seller isn’t 100% sure. Edwardian is my best guess but would love to get your thoughts. I typically prefer Victorian jewelry but this one caught my eye. =)2 Thank you!

IMG_3539.jpeg IMG_3542.jpeg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's the metal? I think of lighter, more delicate, and more open work on the face-up side -- and in platinum. The gallery is pretty but what does the top look like (and, I guess, what is the name that grown-ups use for the "top")?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love love the setting!
:love:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sexy shoulders, you know on the ring ;)2

I am not sure about time period but it is gorgeous whenever it originates from.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m stumped. It’s got some design elements (fishtail pattern around the circumference and organic/naturalistic design element where shoulders meet the top of the ring) that are not typical of American Edwardian design, in my inexperienced opinion.

OTOH really fine Miligrain and fine detailed craftsmanship is typical of that time. Edwardian lavished such craftsmanship/so many diamonds on settings. Diamonds are cut like my own Edwardian era halo diamonds (cut looks more modern, lower crown). Platinum looks like iridium PT, patinaed like an old piece.

My guess is real Edwardian. I think it’s a really fabulous setting! Please take it home!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I'm not an expert, but based on my few Edwardian pieces, it looks more like a revival/ inspired by piece to me. I have the same thought about my newest ring too!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
What's the metal? I think of lighter, more delicate, and more open work on the face-up side -- and in platinum. The gallery is pretty but what does the top look like (and, I guess, what is the name that grown-ups use for the "top")?

This is platinum!

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
Wow

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here’s a 1910 “Edwardian” that has the fishtail design around the outer edge of the halo. it has an Arts And Crafts style shoulder and shank design (slightly Art Nouveau style). This ring does not look Edwardian to me but does have that fishtail pattern.

Your ring looks much more technical with perfect symmetry, suggesting more modern construction techniques, later design. I don’t know what time period, it’s very rare to see such good craftsmanship post Edwardian but a few design details do not seem typical Of that period, for example the fishtail pattern. Maybe it is a mishmash of design elements? No idea of when this ring could have been made.

Last edited:

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
So interesting. I really want an original antique stone and setting, so some of this analysis does give me pause. It’s being sold as such, but now I have doubt…

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is it possible that it was made in Europe? Does it have a platinum mark (what does it say) or other marks? For example if it’s French I know they stamp the outside of the shank, not inside, etc. To me, the craftsmanship looks like bygone era, top notch. Not a recent modern replica.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Is it possible that it was made in Europe? Does it have a platinum mark (what does it say) or other marks? For example if it’s French I know they stamp the outside of the shank, not inside, etc. To me, the craftsmanship looks like bygone era, top notch. Not a recent modern replica.

Good point, I will ask about this!!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wonder if it is an Argentinian made replica? Just throwing it out there. That is plausible.

The center stone is extremely well cut, it could be antique or replica, plausibly.

About five years ago I went to a Brick and Mortar jewelry store in a touristy East Coast town that specialized in antique jewelry. 80% of their pieces were old stones with replica settings. The owner told me the settings were ordered newly made Edwardian style, from Argentina. I was very surprised at how well crafted and how nicely designed they were. They totally fooled me (until I asked).

One thing you see on real Edwardian platinum rings is wear marks from where someone wore other rings next to it. They also don’t look “machine level” perfect in symmetry and construction. There are still some flaws as they were designed on paper and hand forged.

In spite of all I‘ve said here, this ring looks really gorgeous to me. It was done by someone with “mad skills”.

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I’m considering an original antique diamond ring and wondering what era it might be from? Seller isn’t 100% sure. Edwardian is my best guess but would love to get your thoughts. I typically prefer Victorian jewelry but this one caught my eye. =)2 Thank you!

IMG_3539.jpeg IMG_3542.jpeg

Just off topic, as I have no idea when it comes to what you’re asking really, but that first picture shows a wonky set centre stone. It looks sunken on one side & lifted on the other, almost like its been placed in the setting. Please check it’s secure before purchasing.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just off topic, as I have no idea when it comes to what you’re asking really, but that first picture shows a wonky set centre stone. It looks sunken on one side & lifted on the other, almost like its been placed in the setting. Please check it’s secure before purchasing.

i agree, it’s a loose stone placed on top of the setting, tipped, not bezelled into the setting in that photo. Which makes me think the diamond and setting were not original together because I’m under the impression that you cannot unbezel a diamond from a halo without major damage.

Last edited:

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock

They did remove the stone to weigh it, I’m going to make sure it’s securely set if I spring for it!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Personal opinion, that's a really top quality replica. Incredibly well done, there's a sleekness to the lines that isn't present usually in the antique examples. At this level, honestly, who cares if it's actually Edwardian? The stone is fabulous. It's top workmanship in any time period.
I want to know who made it, because I want to know what else they can do. If they can do this kind of work? I want a mount from them.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for weighing in - I’m getting some additional closeups and will post tomorrow!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results