shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this onyx project even worth it?

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
Hey all. I'm trying to get a handle on several gemstone projects that I want to do over the next year or two. Im wrapping up the re-make of my yellow sapphire e-ring and I want to move into two other projects, one of which involves onyx. I've always loved the "blackness" of onyx, if you will. I want to make a pair of 12 mm round faceted onyx halo earrings set in 18k yellow gold and a non-matching pear shaped onyx halo bypass ring (yes two different shaped onyx) also set in yellow 18k. Since I have a thing for H&A diamond melee I want the melee in the halos to be just that. I've been searching for high quality onyx for this project but all of the onyx that I've found that are supposedly very high quality seem so inexpensively priced. Is onyx just that inexpensive or am I looking in the wrong place. On one had I feel silly "tricking" out an onyx with high quality diamonds if it's really just a cheapy stone. But on the other hand I just love the sleek look of the black onyx against the white diamonds and yellow. Does anyone have any idea what "high/fine quality" onyx costs and if this project just makes no sense given how inexpensive onyx is compared to the diamonds that will accompany them? Also, I know there are tons of onyx halo earrings out there but the quality of the diamonds in the halo always disappoints me, which is why I want to do this seemingly easy project myself.

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
I can't answer all your questions about onyx, except for one: I don't think it's silly to pair inexpensive gem materials with expensive ones. In this case, the contrast is indeed very striking and even good enough for Cartier.

Those are some beautiful and expensive jewels!!! If onyx is good enough for Cartier, then it's good enough for me! Thanks for the feedback.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its not silly
it sounds really beautiful
and beauty is in the eye of the beholder
do what makes you happy

i have my dad's onyx cuff links and im going to have them somehow mounted on an open bangle

Gemstones do not have to be $$$$$$ to be beautiful

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I think Onyx when combined with other gemstones, really adds a touch of class. I have costume jewellery that is faux onyx and even then, it looks really lovely.

Also, I think a lot of Art Deco jewellery uses onyx.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I once bought dh a pair of onyx and mother of pearl cufflinks - the contrast is very pretty.
Looking forward to seeing your project, it sounds gorgeous a

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I would mention that I came across stuff online that said that most black onyx is dyed/heat treated, but apparently you can get natural black ones too but it's rarer.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Also, until this thread, I totally forgot about the onyx ring in my jewellery cupboard =)2

I used to wear it a lot.

2.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your project sounds lux and fun!
I hope you do show them off here when you have them done.
Onyx and 18k yellow AND high quality diamond melee :love:

I’ve done two custom rings with calibre cut onyx.
Sure....others would allocate their funds differently - but I don’t regret it one bit!

I’ve read the same as said earlier. Most if not all natural onyx is dyed. The undyed finds are mostly banded in thin layers.

Have never explored the options of black jade or black spinel though - so I do wonder about the differences.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Also, until this thread, I totally forgot about the onyx ring in my jewellery cupboard =)2

I used to wear it a lot.

2.jpg
On a tangent, your onyx ring instantly made me think of bronze Chinese coins in circulation for hundreds of years.
1602520214218.png

voce

Ideal_Rock
Regarding onyx and the original post soliciting opinions, I think you shouldn't let the mere inexpensiveness change your mind, and it can make for a high contrast good look.

When I think of the idea of gemstone, I think of a transparent gem featuring a play of light. Onyx, by virtue of its blackness, absorbs light and reflects it back from the surface instead of refracting it down to the pavilion and back through the table. Thus onyx in many ways is antithetical to the qualities I appreciate in a gem, even though it is technically a gemstone. I think of onyx as a lighter weight (lower density) alternative to ceramic, which has also been used in designer jewelry (Van Cleef & Carpels).

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the look of black onyx and black enamel next to white diamonds!

And as far as mixing diamonds with “inexpensive” materials, I just set a 3ct diamond in mother of pearl and I love it! Haha most people associate mother of pearl with beads and silver inlay turtles and souvenirs on beaches. But I think if it’s beautiful, it’s beautiful, and you should use it however and with whatever you like!

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
Regarding onyx and the original post soliciting opinions, I think you shouldn't let the mere inexpensiveness change your mind, and it can make for a high contrast good look.

When I think of the idea of gemstone, I think of a transparent gem featuring a play of light. Onyx, by virtue of its blackness, absorbs light and reflects it back from the surface instead of refracting it down to the pavilion and back through the table. Thus onyx in many ways is antithetical to the qualities I appreciate in a gem, even though it is technically a gemstone. I think of onyx as a lighter weight (lower density) alternative to ceramic, which has also been used in designer jewelry (Van Cleef & Carpels).

That's a very interesting analogy, thank you so much. All of the comments have confirmed to me to move forward with this project. Thanks again.

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
I love the look of black onyx and black enamel next to white diamonds!

And as far as mixing diamonds with “inexpensive” materials, I just set a 3ct diamond in mother of pearl and I love it! Haha most people associate mother of pearl with beads and silver inlay turtles and souvenirs on beaches. But I think if it’s beautiful, it’s beautiful, and you should use it however and with whatever you like!

Thank you for that. I love MOP too.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
On a tangent, your onyx ring instantly made me think of bronze Chinese coins in circulation for hundreds of years.
1602520214218.png

Ha, I see what you mean. It's a hand made ring (not by me) with a hammered/mould setting so has a rustic look.

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
Very exciting project indeed.
Some trivia to note, most of the black onyx in the market are believed to be treated and natural variety is not readily available. The 'go-to' stone for many black gemstone lovers, so you cannot go wrong with it. And it is said black onyx can protect the wearer from negative energy and dangers.

I really would love to find natural onyx. That's going to be step 1 for this project. I'm all about positive energy so now I'm looking forward to this project even more. Thanks so much for the information.

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a GIA article on black materials they call 'black opaques', and they seem to consider 'onyx' dyed chalcedony automatically. The article also brings up black jade, hematite, black spinel, and the methods and challenges with identifying them.

Perhaps searching using the term 'untreated black chalcedony' will make it easier to find such material if it exists beyond banded in thin layers as was brought up in this thread, since the term 'onyx' seems to be associated with the dyed/treated stuff.

You'd need to find a dealer who knows their sources and one you trust, or pay the $ for a lab report to confirm lack of treatment.

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
Here's a GIA article on black materials they call 'black opaques', and they seem to consider 'onyx' dyed chalcedony automatically. The article also brings up black jade, hematite, black spinel, and the methods and challenges with identifying them.

Perhaps searching using the term 'untreated black chalcedony' will make it easier to find such material if it exists beyond banded in thin layers as was brought up in this thread, since the term 'onyx' seems to be associated with the dyed/treated stuff.

You'd need to find a dealer who knows their sources and one you trust, or pay the $ for a lab report to confirm lack of treatment.

Thanks so much for this article. I'll definitely take a read.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
ive been wondering for a while when reading all those dark saphire threads would blue black saphire be a good choice for a back ring as its harder than onyx - too dark saphire seems pretty undesirable and must be cheap ?

im just wondering out loud, this isnt ment as a suggestion for @LIGemzGal

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ive been wondering for a while when reading all those dark saphire threads would blue black saphire be a good choice for a back ring as its harder than onyx - too dark saphire seems pretty undesirable and must be cheap ?

im just wondering out loud, this isnt ment as a suggestion for @LIGemzGal

Not that it matters- but I did consider that. Just didnt pursue.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Just wondered as I don't think anybody has answered one of the questioned raised by LlgemzGal - re: high quality onyx.

For the record, what are the quality factors of a good onyx?

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
Just wondered as I don't think anybody has answered one of the questioned raised by LlgemzGal - re: high quality onyx.

For the record, what are the quality factors of a good onyx?

I did find one place that categorized their onyx as natural and untreated, not synthetic. This is where I had planned on purchasing the onyx from if I couldn't find anywhere else that guaranteed their onyx. I recently purchased some emerald and pink sapphire melee from them in preparation for my second project which is a set of 2.0 mm colored sapphire eternity rings (pink, yellow, blue and orange) and 2 mm emerald and ruby eternity rings that I can stack or wear individually. I like that they have parcels and that they sell their melee by quality, so I've been purchasing the higher quality melee.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results