shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I am considering a few different diamonds from some of the PS vendors. Most of them have been very helpful, offering to send me digital photos, have Sarins run etc. One of the vendors however claims that they do not send photos because they really do not show the true quality of a stone (which I kind of understand but even a crappy photo is better than none) and she said they would not run a Sarin because it is a marquise and the Sarin is not accurate with this cut. I know the Sarin is not as consistant as it would be with say a round but do you think that this response is normal or should I shop elsewhere. Unfortunatly the diamond that she has is my favorite so far (on paper).

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
that does seem strange to me that they will not send you digital pictures and wont run a sarin report on the stone.

Maybe you could ask at least for a report on the stone (ie GIA) so that at least you can see the grade of the cut and all of that sort of thing.
I would be sort of sceptical of that company for not wanting to send you that information and pictures, the pictures do come out well I have gotten pictures of a stone and then seen it in person and it was excellent. So I am not really sure what they are talking about with that.
That is just my opinion but I would def ask for a report on the stone if they have it. If not I would thing that was rather odd but thats me.
Good luck

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seems odd to me too. Is this a PS vendor??? I've never heard of that before.
33.gif
ETA: You said that you were working with other PS vendors, just didn't know if this was one of them??

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it is one of the most popular PS vendors.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know nothing about Marquise stones, but would work with a vendor that is willing to go the distance with you, just my humble 0.2.
2.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Of course you should work with someone who will go the distance....
BUt I do agree that Sarin reports on a Marquise are all but useless.
Digital photos? FAR from useless!

bloodshot

Rough_Rock
I had a similar very negative experience with a Pricescope vendor recently. They scared out of dealing with them altogether. I''m not sure what to do, I don''t want to name names. I do think its important to let others know though.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
The vendor should send you a photo at the very least. Maybe they don''t want your business bad enough. I thought photos were a big part of internet diamond buying???
33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is such a shame - I feel the least you can expect from a vendor is;

1) Answer any questions you have honestly and respectfully and do their best to fill YOUR needs not theirs.

2) Answer any correspondance by email or telephone in a timely manner.

3) Do their best to supply you with any important information pertaining to the diamond you are interested in - at very least a digital photo - with the proviso that the customer understands a digital picture has some limitations.

4) Never ever use undue pressure on a customer to purchase.

5) Never try to wriggle out of refund policies and make it as awkward as possible for the customer to return a diamond
they don''t want.

6) Keep the customer briefed as to the progress of their order and shipments to the best of their ability.

Of course it is important to try to be a good customer too, which I am sure you are. You are right to be cautious and wait until you find a vendor you are comfortable with - it makes such a difference ( more on this subject later
31.gif
)

Good luck and I hope you find a good vendor soon and end up with a lovely rock!!
36.gif
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/1/2005 7:06:25 AM
Author: yellowfan
The vendor should send you a photo at the very least. Maybe they don't want your business bad enough. I thought photos were a big part of internet diamond buying???
33.gif
Exactly Yellowfan- a good vendor won't have anything to hide, and will go all out for you. IMO that would worry me if a vendor wouldn't send a picture - I have heard some say it doesn't do justice to the diamond, but I think most people realise that anyway. Unless you are a talented PS diamond photographer!
36.gif
3.gif
9.gif
Maybe there was some miscommunication somewhere, being a PS vendor, it can happen?
33.gif

tareyton

Rough_Rock
Maybe the vendor does not actually have possesion of the stone. They don''t want to spend the money to bring it in to photograph.

Ask them to send it to an independant appraiser in your area. If you don''t buy it you will probably then have to pay the shipping but that is cheap. I had two $10K stones sent to an appraiser I didn''t buy them so I had to pay the shipping both ways only cost $95.00 IMO small price to pay to ensure such a large purchase is perfect (especially if it is for an e-ring)

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, an independent appraiser sounds like your solution. Then you''ll get all the measurements, photos, analysis, pricing, etc, with which to make an intelligent decision.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Richard, I see that you are (somewhat) in my area. Perhaps I will see what can be done to have your lab take a look.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also had an unsatisfactory experience with one of the favorite PS vendors when I was buying my pendant stone. I called and spoke with them about several stones I was interested in and found out that they were already sold or not there.
39.gif
I was told "I don''t know where you are coming up with these stones" when I found them on the PS list and their own website! I asked if they could locate some stones with the specs I was looking for and was told "sure we''ll get right back to you". It''s been almost 3 weeks now and I have not heard one thing back from them. I ended up getting my beautiful stone from a non-PS vendor[DBOF] and received fantastic customer service so in then end I am happy but will probably not ever deal with the first company again. Because I was looking for an under 1 carat diamond I felt like maybe my purchase just wasn''t large enough or important enough for them to bother with. I know they are very busy but even an email back stating that they couldn''t find what I was looking for would have made me happy.
38.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is such a shame Catmom - normally it takes only an email to keep you informed within a day or two of the inquiry - even if it isn''t the news you want to hear. I have also had this trouble with a PS vendor a little while ago - happily I have found a new vendor who appreciates my business!
31.gif
I am sure we have just had bad experiences however and that this isn''t the norm.

freaknyea

Rough_Rock
I must say that we should make sure to not say that it is Pricescopes Favorite vendor rather that it is a popular vendor on Pricescope. I only say this for the sake of PS that they do not insist on one good vendor or more. The majority of the vendors suck though. Truly as I go along (even though I am probably not the easiest customer) I find out how much the companies are just like any other retail store except on the internet. I would do some more searching for vendors and maybe put up a post if you haven''t already asking where you can find a Marquise. There are good people to work with out there, yet with your shape stone I don''t know what to tell you, put up another post. Chris

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/1/2005 10:23:36 AM
Author: freaknyea
I must say that we should make sure to not say that it is Pricescopes Favorite vendor rather that it is a popular vendor on Pricescope. I only say this for the sake of PS that they do not insist on one good vendor or more. The majority of the vendors suck though. Truly as I go along (even though I am probably not the easiest customer) I find out how much the companies are just like any other retail store except on the internet. I would do some more searching for vendors and maybe put up a post if you haven''t already asking where you can find a Marquise. There are good people to work with out there, yet with your shape stone I don''t know what to tell you, put up another post. Chris
Fair comment but I think most people understand the context in what Catmom was saying re favourite PS vendor isn''t one that PS endorses necessarily but one which is popular with the Pricescope consumers. That is a shame that you think most of them suck and I am sorry you have had some bad experiences - but it is also fair to say there are a lot of very happy purchasers out there who have used " vendors from the vendors list " on PS. It is good that you have raised this point however for Newbies who may not have realised the way many PS er''s refer to popular vendors.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should name the vendor so that they will respond and hopefully resolve this for you.

A diamond is not an everyday purchase and if ppl are getting the run around with a certain vendor then they should be named and this should be resolved.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/1/2005 10:23:36 AM
Author: freaknyea
I''m sorry! I did not mean to imply that this was a favored vendor by PS itself, merely that it is a vendor often used and liked by PS members. I''m sorry that you feel that the majority of the vendors suck. I''ve only been disappointed with the one vendor. I by no means meant to imply that others were bad or even that this one was bad per se, merely that I had a disappointing experience with them.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Guys, if you have any problems with any PS vendor, please share it openly so that other consumers will be informed. We are asking for any factual information about your buying experience, both good and bad.

Unlike other venues, Pricescope welcomes criticism towards its advertisers as well as genuine testimonials on their competitors

PS advertisers are used to get "bitten" here from time to time and should improve and resolve the issues.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
The vendor I am referring to is Blue Nile. I also asked if she could bring the diamond in so she could examine it herself and so I could discuss it with her on the phone while she had it in front of her. She basically told me that she trusts the jugdement of the supplier very much and that she is very truthfull. I just don't get it. She told me that while BN will not send pictures or do a Sarin for me, they offer all kinds of other in-depth information. I kind of don't know what else to ask for. They will not do the usual things that other vendors will so what is left?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2005 6:28:15 PM
Author: jazmine
They will not do the usual things that other vendors will so what is left?
Find a new vendor? Is there any reason that you are specifically trying to buy from them?

They do not offer sarins or pictures to any customers, from what I have seen on PS. It's not their policy to do so, so I doubt that the salespeople will be able to do anything for you as far as pictures.

So to answer your first question, YES, this is normal for Blue Nile.

ETA: Unless Blue Nile owns the stone that you are interested in, most likely the other vendors would be able to get the stone for you also and provide pictures and any other info you want.

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Icekid, the stone you are looking for is most likely not in their stock and you could probably find another vendor that can bring the stone in to provide you the information/pictures you requested. Some (although it seems VERY few), manufacturers have their on Sarin machines and can run the numbers without even having to ship the stone to the vendor. I had this done on a stone I was considering. I would take my business elsewhere..just my two cents.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2005 8:02:45 PM
Author: jazmine
Yes, it is one of the most popular PS vendors.

you threw me for a loop here. i was wracking my brain to think of the popular PS vendors who wouldn't accomodate you. I don't however, consider BlueNile one of the "Popular" vendors here. they have a super return policy but that's about it. their prices are higher than other online companies and they have several company policies that would cause me to take my business elsewhere. I agree with icekid to just find another vendor who will work with you and get you what you need
1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Doh... me too Ms.Salvo.
3.gif
I was panicking for a sec but didn''t think someone on our staff would respond in that manner. I will admit we do have minor probs from time to time removing stones from our site not fast enough. Every business has its problems and we are no exception for sure. There are many times we''ll begin to post data and before we''re even finished the stone is gone. If any of you have experienced that with us my deepest apologies. We''re in the process of converting to a data-driven website and as soon as we''re finished any stone that a person "checks out" with will automatically be removed from the inventory so any stones that will be listed on our site, once the change in complete, will only be stones that are in house and not sold. Good luck in your search Jaz.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2005 8:48:27 PM
Author: mrssalvo

their prices (Blue Nile) are higher than other online companies

That used to be consistently true, but I think not so much anymore. Recent price comparisons have shown that some of the more heavily frequented PS vendors are now charging about the same mark-up as BN.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2005 9:47:34 PM
Author: aljdewey
Date: 9/1/2005 8:48:27 PM

Author: mrssalvo

their prices (Blue Nile) are higher than other online companies

That used to be consistently true, but I think not so much anymore. Recent price comparisons have shown that some of the more heavily frequented PS vendors are now charging about the same mark-up as BN.

Thanks for the update Al. i hadn''t done a recent price check, just noticed it on few of my own searches.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s about time that they got in line with their pricing.
11.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Catmom who was the vendor who was less then helpful?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/1/2005 10:38:46 PM
Author: Matatora
Catmom who was the vendor who was less then helpful?
It was not my intention to name names here but I have been asked by several people to do so, so I guess I will. My disappointing experience was with GOG. I did experience the situation where the three stones I was interested in were not there even though they appeared on the PS list and/or directly on the GOG website. Rhino I''m glad to see that you are taking measures to help with this issue. When I called about the stones I was told "I don''t know where you are coming up with these stones". When I replied that I found them on the PS list and on your own website I was told that "these lists are not updated very often." That didn''t leave me with a very good feeling as this was my first internet purchase experience. I was then told that a search would be done from other locations to see if a stone could be found that met my requirements. I said fine, and gave my name, email address, etc. I was told that I would hear back shortly. It has now been almost three weeks and I have heard nothing back.

In the mean time I found a gorgeous stone from another vendor. We emailed several times and spoke on the phone several times and within 2 days from the initial contact I had my stone mounted and in my hands. It was quite a different experience. So while I am very happy that I got my pendant, I was disappointed with the service from GOG. I would have liked to be told if they couldn''t find a stone with my requirements or that they didn''t want to pursue it for whatever reasons. .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results