shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this leakage under the table?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi PS experts, I'm still learning how to interpret diamond photos. Is this leakage I'm seeing under the table? It is a GIA VG Cut diamond. Thanks for any help!

loose diamond image.jpeg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
no and its impossible to always be able to pick out leakage in photos or video like that.
What are the angles and % from the report or the report #?
And diamond color?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @Karl_K.

It's a K. I don't have the report number or angles and %; it's from James Allen, so I'd have to contact them to see the report.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
notice between the arrows is yellow so its concentrated color not leakage and its very highly next to impossible it has a main leaking.
So no abnormal large leakage under the table.
That said the highly concentrated color would be less in a better cut stone.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am gonna say it is leaky.
I am guessing CA is steep.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
color.jpg
@flyingpig your at least 1/2 right.
There are going to be some large swings so who knows where the average is going to come out at.

edit: the pic of the diamond in question has more obstruction so just look at the tone of the table area compared to the rest of the diamond.

Last edited:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
color.jpg
@flyingpig your at least 1/2 right.

I think PA is within the ideal range. 40.6~40.9 based on the size of the table reflection and how the mains are behaving.

My guesses are
35.5~36CA / 40.8PA
Or
36.5~37 CA / 40.6PA

Regardless, CA is steep.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think PA is within the ideal range. 40.6~40.9 based on the size of the table reflection and how the mains are behaving.
To much variation to model it in DC and there is going to be a wide range so the average is going to be off on the report.
Not really worth the time to find out for sure.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To much variation to model it in DC and there is going to be a wide range so the average is going to be off on the report.
Not really worth the time to find out for sure.

I like playing this guessing game. Hopefully, the OP comes back with the numbers.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the super fat arrows it almost looks close to a transitional, but not. I like it, but it's not what I would call a traditional ideal cut.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the super fat arrows it almost looks close to a transitional, but not. I like it, but it's not what I would call a traditional ideal cut.

That is actually exactly what I'm looking for. I was drawn to it because of the super fat arrows. I'll see if I can get the numbers tomorrow.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is actually exactly what I'm looking for. I was drawn to it because of the super fat arrows. I'll see if I can get the numbers tomorrow.

Nice. If that's what you want then this should work nicely. You should be able to ask them for the cert via chat. They typically send it asap

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ask for an IS image also.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The numbers are 63%, 57%, 37.5 (crown height 16.5%), 40.8 (pavilion depth 43%), LGF 75%.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IdealScope-image.jpg

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The IS is as expected with a lot of leakage from the steep CA and not complimentary PA.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@flyingpig yes, it seems leakier than I'd like. Probably not "the one" then.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smaller shards of leakage rather than a ring of death.
Since there is more than I expeted..... @flyingpig wins.

Nah... Trade members need to be conservative. It is a correct advice not to assess light return and leakage based on these photos and videos alone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eeeek yeah there is a lot of leakage. THat's too bad. The CA is too deep and the PA isn't complimentary. Darn. I was hoping it would work for you but I wouldn't recommend it.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
OP said GIA Cut Grade of Very Good so you know if it didn’t even “make the cut” for 3x, ugh.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
OP said GIA Cut Grade of Very Good so you know if it didn’t even “make the cut” for 3x, ugh.
She is looking for what some call a "transitional" cut which will often get a gia VG grade maybe lower based on the MRB criteria used by the GIA cut grade.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@Karl_K As I understand it, if it was transitional, it would be designated on the report as a circular brilliant and not be given a cut grade, correct? If it received a very good, it did not meet the specifications to be excluded from receiving a cut grade. Regardless, based on the proportions that yielded a VG, wouldn’t the light leakage have been obvious without the need for images (which, in fact, confirmed it)?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@headlight GIA often grades things as round even when technically it should be graded like a circular brilliant or even an OEC. Not exactly sure why, but it definitely happens. Since the OP was looking for a transitional cut I was hoping this wouldnt have a ton of leakage, but sadly it did.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K As I understand it, if it was transitional, it would be designated on the report as a circular brilliant and not be given a cut grade, correct? If it received a very good, it did not meet the specifications to be excluded from receiving a cut grade. Regardless, based on the proportions that yielded a VG, wouldn’t the light leakage have been obvious without the need for images (which, in fact, confirmed it)?
GIA does try to put diamonds in different cut categories, diamonds have been cut in so many variations that change the #s that work well that if defies any attempt to do so.
By shopping for ones that fall through the GIA cracks and gets labeled as a vg mrb or lower, you can save some money and get some beautiful diamonds..

Those numbers while not the best numbers for a stone of this type could within the gia rounding work a bit better than this one.
In person the leakage of this stone would probably never be seen by eye by most people.
A PSer who is mildly obsessed could set up a way to view it by eye then its impossible to unsee.

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@headlight GIA often grades things as round even when technically it should be graded like a circular brilliant or even an OEC. Not exactly sure why, but it definitely happens. Since the OP was looking for a transitional cut I was hoping this wouldnt have a ton of leakage, but sadly it did.
My comment was based on this chart

1594401209981.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results