shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this how USPS registered mail works?

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
I’m shipping my engagement ring to David Klass to replace the peg head with Tiffany style prongs. I shipped it via USPS registered mail on Thursday 4/15 and at that time it said expected delivery by 9:00 pm on Monday 4/19 (which was sooner that I would have expected).

Yesterday the tracking said out for delivery in DKs zip code but since then it has seemingly bounced to two other Los Angeles zip codes.

I’m not overly concerned at this point but have never used registered mail before and just wondering if this type of zip code “bouncing” is typical. D7CA17D6-5225-4205-8F12-BFD5E8D0F380.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s how it works when they mess it up- yeah.
looks like it went to the wrong location. I wouldn’t be overly concerned either. They didn’t deliver it to the wrong location or anything like that

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah that happens.

When USPS works efficiently it's pretty amazing. When I overnight something across the country and it gets there the next morning I am in awe.

But occasionally it does get a bit messed up though almost always it gets to its intended destination albeit with a slight delay at times.

No cause for concern yet.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
USPS is notoriously unreliable. Your package is probably just taking the scenic route. I always request an insured UPS shipping label from DK when shipping to him.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
USPS is notoriously unreliable. Your package is probably just taking the scenic route. I always request an insured UPS shipping label from DK when shipping to him.
I disagree I solely use usps and they’re extraordinarily reliable. While their shipping can at time end up like this any shipping company can.

id walk to California myself before using UPS personally lol. I like my packages unsmashed tho

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I disagree I solely use usps and they’re extraordinarily reliable. While their shipping can at time end up like this any shipping company can.

id walk to California myself before using UPS personally lol. I like my packages unsmashed tho

I guess we've had different experiences. My UPS (and FedEx) shipments are nearly always on time and in tact and they are very helpful in assisting in tracking. My USPS shipments are often delayed or go MIA (and USPS is not helpful in tracking or locating), which seems to be what OP is experiencing, so I offered another option for the future. ETA: I've heard others with the same complaints about USPS, so I am not basing this solely on my experiences.

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
No delivery vendor is going to have 100% success with delivering packages. I use USPS Priority Mail to ship items to my kids at college and have never had an issue with the package getting delivered in a timely manner so my general experience with USPS is positive. The one FedEx shipment that was sent to my daughter while at college did not arrive (it was contact lenses shipped directly from her optician). And we've had FedEx packages where their tracking says it was delivered but we have no package and we know it wasn't delivered because our Ring doorbell video shows no one approaching our front porch. We've had the shipper re-ship the item which arrived and then a few weeks later the originally shipped item also arrives.

And my registered mail item is not missing, it's pretty clear exactly where it is (which is the benefit of sending something registered mail). Why it is taking a bit of a circuitous route to it's final destination is a bit strange and sure I would have liked it to arrive yesterday. But assuming it arrives shortly the money I saved (which was significant) by sending this fully insured USPS registered mail vs. sending fully insured via UPS or FedEx will have made it worth it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I may I’d like to add one comment. The less hands a package has to travel through the better. That’s why, in general, I tend to send things overnight USPS. I find that works (in my experience at least) with the least potential complications.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently shipped two separate packages to DK (about a week apart) via registered mail and they both took a similar route as yours OP. They both went to multiple LA zip codes. When I saw that for the first one I assumed it was some kind of mistaken routing, but when the same happened with the second one, I started thinking that it had something to do with the way the registered mail was handled. They were both safely delivered.

Here's a snip of the route for one of them.

Screenshot 2021-04-21 091748.jpg

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
I recently shipped two separate packages to DK (about a week apart) via registered mail and they both took a similar route as yours OP. They both went to multiple LA zip codes. When I saw that for the first one I assumed it was some kind of mistaken routing, but when the same happened with the second one, I started thinking that it had something to do with the way the registered mail was handled. They were both safely delivered.

That’s reassuring. Thank you for sharing that info @Lookinagain. Although my curious mind would love to get an explanation from USPS as to why it works this way. Particularly why it says out for delivery but then ends up at a few more post offices before it actually gets delivered.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So on 4/14 @ 08:15 it started in 90014 and was out for delivery. However 6 transactions later it travels through 4 different zip codes before making its way back to the starting zip code of 90014, where it ultimately gets delivered on 4/15 @ 12:53.

LOL that makes no sense. But based on my experience with USPS I would say that is typical.

I’ve had similar oddities with both FedEx and UPS as well although tracking normally updates faster with less delivery headaches with these two. This is using them for both personal and business.

For me, it’s simply risk management. If I need to send my wife’s ring back to DK for repair, etc I am going to ask Amy for a properly insured and prepaid label. The key words being insured. Insuring through any of the carriers is expensive; however, USPS is more costly than others. I might add I believe jewelers utilize a different insurance policy for shipments due to their business type.

What I do know is if my wife’s ring comes up missing we get to go shopping for a new one on someone else’s dime. And I’m very good at spending other people’s money, especially when picking diamonds, lol.

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Yes that's what is the odd part - why say out for delivery in final destination zip code but than travel through multiple other zip codes before ultimately getting delivered.

When I asked DK how to ship it as I've never shipped expensive jewelry before he did not suggest them providing a shipping label. Being a newbie I didn't even realize it was an option to ask the vendor to generate a label and will certainly do that if there is a next time.

However, my experience was that shipping fully insured via USPS registered mail was significantly cheaper than fully insured through Fed Ex or UPS when I was the one generating the label through Fed Ex or UPS. That cost differential plus also reading that others ship valuable items through USPS registered mail is why I went that route.

I'm still not worried that my package will go missing. Just interesting to experience this for the first time.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
USPS Registered is the absolute safest way to mail valuables domestically outside of an insured label from one’s vendor. If a package goes missing they’ll upend every station and truck it was known to be at to find it. USPS does not lose Registered domestic mail.

It can be painfully slow though! And routes are often more circuitous than other USPS classes of service. I think it might have something to do with the vehicles and routes Registered mail must be handled in and signed for?

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I've never had any USPS registered mail get outright lost. It's just slow. A package I sent registered has been misplaced before, traveled around as yours has -- and even paused without an update to the scan. I've had to call, gripe at the USPS employee, wait on hold, but if a package truly does go off the rails and it's registered, they will become suddenly and surprisingly helpful and nice.

FWIW, a good friend in real life is a postal carrier for the past couple decades, and she says that it is in USPS training and also just generally well known that losing registered mail is more or less one of the only things that will definitely lose a person his or her job with USPS. It's a huge no-no.

Registered mail is definitely a secure way to go about sending something, but it's definitely not fast.

In my experience, at least, USPS offers the most inexpensive insurance as well, but that could be with my area too.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as cost, sending my items USPS registered was significantly cheaper than sending Priority mail with insurance. One package I valued at $3500. Priority insured was just over $60. Registered was just a tiny bit over $30. And to my knowledge, registered is definitely the safest. It does take a bit longer, but the last two packages I sent from Massachusetts to L.A. took between 4 and 5 days, so not so terrible. I've never asked a vendor for a label, and assuming they pass that cost along to the customer, I'd be interested to hear what that price is.

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I've never asked a vendor for a label, and assuming they pass that cost along to the customer, I'd be interested to hear what that price is.

It does depend on where the package is going to/from - FedEx has different zones. As for the coverage, once again depends on the value of what you're sending and what packaging it's using (I am aware of how unhelpful my answer is thus far :) )

As for passing cost along, if it's a warranty repair type thing, I'd assume most vendors would (should) cover that themselves at no charge. I can send most things for customers 3-day service at Fedex for $25-30, but you do get the convenience of just printing and dropping it off (and since it's express service, most FedEx locations should provide the envelope/box for you.)

All that said, FedEx is fast and I've never had anything truly lost via them, either, but they come with their own set of headaches -- and registered remains probably the very safest way at a fair price.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
When I shipped him my opal, it did the same thing. It was received in LA, then Santa Monica, then LA again. Then it said the area for delivery was not accessible (something about an Arcade). I was worried, but all of that happened in less than 24 hours and just as I was about to alert them about the problem, I received a notice from DK that the stone was there safe and sound.
I’m not sure what all of the notifications were about, but it took less than 36 hours for them to receive the opal shipped from the East Coast.

OECfan

Rough_Rock
It may be weird and annoying, but registered mail is very secure. My understanding is that every time it changes hands, it needs to be signed off, and it's stored in a secured location every night rather than just sit in a trailer/warehouse unsecured.

I've been on the receiving end of registered mail many times (jewelry ordered from the US, I'm in Canada) and tracking the package's journey through the US can be frustrating. But it always makes it safe and sound. One time I purchased jewelry from a seller in NY and he attempted to ship overnight USPS and USPS bounced the package back to him because apparently fine jewelry couldn't be sent via any service with USPS besides Registered.

I've since received jewelry via Priority and First Class, so I don't know if there was a policy change at some point, or if they're loosening the restrictions due to COVID.

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Wow 36 hour delivery time from the East Coast is amazing. If it gets delivered today I'll be looking at 6 days (including the weekend). Just today I've seen it go from 90044 to 90014 (the delivery zip code where it's already been there once before) then to 90012

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
And we have "Delivered, left with an individual" status now. Yay! So it looks like items shipped USPS registered mail to DK will go through the following zip codes (not necessarily in that order) before being delivered:

with perhaps one or more statuses showing Out for Delivery to 90014 before it actually does get delivered.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sent items to DK also with registered mail. It does take a strange route, but I think it's due to registered mail differences.

Registered mail is the safest and only way for an individual to send an item over $5000 insured. Vendor insured labels aren't cheap when the item is expensive, either.

Glad your package made it!

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Yes that's what is the odd part - why say out for delivery in final destination zip code but than travel through multiple other zip codes before ultimately getting delivered.

When I asked DK how to ship it as I've never shipped expensive jewelry before he did not suggest them providing a shipping label. Being a newbie I didn't even realize it was an option to ask the vendor to generate a label and will certainly do that if there is a next time.

However, my experience was that shipping fully insured via USPS registered mail was significantly cheaper than fully insured through Fed Ex or UPS when I was the one generating the label through Fed Ex or UPS. That cost differential plus also reading that others ship valuable items through USPS registered mail is why I went that route.

I'm still not worried that my package will go missing. Just interesting to experience this for the first time.

Well, FedEx is tricky when it comes to insuring jewelry at the best of times. US Mail registered priority, insured is about the only way to go if you don’t have a commercial account with UPS or FedEx and want it insured, so you probably made the right call.

I shipped two rings to David in the last 6 months and got his label and paid the insured, UPS price as it was still at the height on the Election & Christmas post office chaos, so I opted for UPS but would have used the post office otherwise. Even with UPS they played zip code roulette in LA.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know the specifics of registered USPS mail, but I generally overnight things of high value or importance. The less time in transit, the less risk for loss or damage.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My understanding, from my insurance rep, is that jewelry that is on your policy is covered by them during shipping. It does not matter which carrier you use, but they suggest you use multiple boxes. I was told - by my rep - that there is no need to insure via the shipping carrier as it is redundant and money wasted. (I also think that adding insurance from the shipping carrier signals that something valuable is inside, as the cost of the shipping label is right there for anyone who handles it to see. They would be able to deduce that the higher shipping cost indicates there is insurance, and guess at the declared value based upon said cost.)

These thread are always so confusing to me because there is such a disparity of information and opinion.

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
@rainydaze After I shipped it I asked my insurance rep whether the items were covered by my current policy while in transit and at the jeweler and he said yes. So I agree that it does seem like paying for insurance via the carrier would be redundant. However, if it were lost during transit then I could make a claim against the carrier, not my insurance and risk my rates increasing. Certainly begs the question though of why pay for insurance coverage if you aren't going to use it for fear of your rates increasing.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My understanding, from my insurance rep, is that jewelry that is on your policy is covered by them during shipping. It does not matter which carrier you use, but they suggest you use multiple boxes. I was told - by my rep - that there is no need to insure via the shipping carrier as it is redundant and money wasted. (I also think that adding insurance from the shipping carrier signals that something valuable is inside, as the cost of the shipping label is right there for anyone who handles it to see. They would be able to deduce that the higher shipping cost indicates there is insurance, and guess at the declared value based upon said cost.)

These thread are always so confusing to me because there is such a disparity of information and opinion.

What about loose stones? I don't believe I can schedule stones that have not yet been set into a piece of jewelry. Did your insurance rep address this with you?

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
@Lookinagain I did not ask about loose stones. I specifically asked my rep about sending my engagement ring.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about loose stones? I don't believe I can schedule stones that have not yet been set into a piece of jewelry. Did your insurance rep address this with you?

Yes, with my insurance I can insure loose stones. I specifically asked if the same coverage applies to shipping loose stones and she assured me that it does.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rainydaze After I shipped it I asked my insurance rep whether the items were covered by my current policy while in transit and at the jeweler and he said yes. So I agree that it does seem like paying for insurance via the carrier would be redundant. However, if it were lost during transit then I could make a claim against the carrier, not my insurance and risk my rates increasing. Certainly begs the question though of why pay for insurance coverage if you aren't going to use it for fear of your rates increasing.

I thought of this too. Filing a claim with the carrier - or with the jeweler's insurance if you opt to have them send you an insured label - doesn't affect your own policy and rates.

One jeweler said that I needed to use his label. Should something happen to my stones, I would need to file under his insurance policy and not mine (we use the same insurance company) as it was a conflict of interest or something. I didn't understand this, and I was going to ask for clarification, but the project ended up not moving forward.

I may ask my insurance directly if it is better for me to use a jeweler's insured shipping label, or rely on my own policy for shipping insurance protection. And ask them to clarify what, if any, complications or negatives using a jeweler's label presents.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results