shape
carat
color
clarity

is this emerald cut any good???(help please)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alfaboy155

Rough_Rock
Hi, I''m flying to london with my girlfriend soon to view a few emerald cuts for an engagment ring. I know about the four cs but the total depth and table size confuse me.is the following diamond worthy of 10000 euro?
emerald cut
6.31 x 4.92 x 3.44
carat wt 1.00
colour d
clarity if
TOTAL DEPTH 69.99%
TABLE SIZE 64%
girdle medium to thick
polish v good
symmetry v good
flouresence faint.
what should i be looking for in terms of table size and total tepth for a emerald cut diamond.
i would like to get a quality diamond compared with the high street jewlers here in ireland so anybodys help would be much appreciated. thanking you all in advance. t

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 10:10:30 AM
Author:alfaboy155
Hi, I''m flying to london with my girlfriend soon to view a few emerald cuts for an engagment ring. I know about the four cs but the total depth and table size confuse me.is the following diamond worthy of 10000 euro?
emerald cut
6.31 x 4.92 x 3.44
carat wt 1.00
colour d
clarity if
TOTAL DEPTH 69.99%
TABLE SIZE 64%
girdle medium to thick
polish v good
symmetry v good
flouresence faint.
what should i be looking for in terms of table size and total tepth for a emerald cut diamond.
i would like to get a quality diamond compared with the high street jewlers here in ireland so anybodys help would be much appreciated. thanking you all in advance. t

You need to know the crown height, crown angle as well as the pavilion depth and pavilion angle.

The stone should be checked out by an expert to see if it just made the 1.00 carat weight, by leaving on "extra fat" in the stone.

Rockdoc

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a quick question: do you really need a D/IF? The colour and clarity of the stone does not determine the sparkle of the diamond. However, if you chose that for the rarity factor, that is your call. F is very icy white and VS1 is absolutely eye clean for ECs

As for the rest:
Depth less than 65% lets your diamond measure much bigger (than your current 70%)
Stick to tables of less than 65%
At least VG polish and symmetry
Crown height is critical for fire in ECs (I personally prefer 12% and higher but at least 10% and upwards is fine)
Avoid girdles that are ex thin and ex thick

pelicano

Rough_Rock
It sounds like the depth and table value are in the best range for emeralds accourding to several websites.

You can search yourself to see. But like was mentioned above, definitely have somebody take a look at the diamond to make sure the other proportions are just as good.
1.gif

alfaboy155

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 1:13:29 PM
Author: Chrono
Just a quick question: do you really need a D/IF? The colour and clarity of the stone does not determine the sparkle of the diamond. However, if you chose that for the rarity factor, that is your call. F is very icy white and VS1 is absolutely eye clean for ECs

As for the rest:
Depth less than 65% lets your diamond measure much bigger (than your current 70%)
Stick to tables of less than 65%
At least VG polish and symmetry
Crown height is critical for fire in ECs (I personally prefer 12% and higher but at least 10% and upwards is fine)
Avoid girdles that are ex thin and ex thick
Hi Chrono, thanks for replying I do want the the D/If for the rarity factor as it is for a once off engagement ring. with regards to your other advice it is much appreciated especially the crown height.

alfaboy155

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 1:06:57 PM
Author: RockDoc

Date: 4/10/2007 10:10:30 AM
Author:alfaboy155
emerald cut
6.31 x 4.92 x 3.44
carat wt 1.00
colour d
clarity if
TOTAL DEPTH 69.99%
TABLE SIZE 64%
girdle medium to thick
polish v good
symmetry v good
flouresence faint.

You need to know the crown height, crown angle as well as the pavilion depth and pavilion angle.

The stone should be checked out by an expert to see if it just made the 1.00 carat weight, by leaving on ''extra fat'' in the stone.

Rockdoc
Thanks for replying Rockdoc. some of the diamonds on offer are GIA certified but these certs don''t have crown height. so how can i tell?the other diamond they have are Hrd certs. these certs do have crown height, so sould I only go with HRD certified diamonds?
33.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you going to be able to view several ECs side by side on your shopping trip? If so, then the GIA cert should not pose a problem for checking the crown height even thought it isn''t listed on the cert. You can see it with your own eyes (should be quite tall/pillowy on the top half) and even compare it to a HRD EC with a listed crown height %.

alfaboy155

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/11/2007 8:21:28 AM
Author: Chrono
Are you going to be able to view several ECs side by side on your shopping trip? If so, then the GIA cert should not pose a problem for checking the crown height even thought it isn''t listed on the cert. You can see it with your own eyes (should be quite tall/pillowy on the top half) and even compare it to a HRD EC with a listed crown height %.
thanks Chrono, thats an excellent idea! i feel I''m a bit prepared now for the trip(tomorrow). thanks again
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results