shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this diamond to deep?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Certainly very clear, logical, and informative. thx strm and John.

I still have some questions though. You say the longer the light path "remains" in the diamond the more color it "picks up"... i don''t understand this.. on the physics level i''m saying... the yellow we see in the diamonds is the particular configuration of those molecules deflecting the yellow spectrum of the white light shined upon back at us... what does this have to do with how long the beamed light path stays in the diamond?? it''s not like the beam is "picking up" more color and getting more colored, is it?

also, again, isn''t this also only applying to the direct and indirect portion of the face-up diamond that reflect the light beam (the red and green coloring of the ASET tool) . Wouldn''t the invisible light areas (the blue portions of hte ASET tool) be little affected by the light return of the diamond''s proportions and optimal light reflection.

I don''t want you guys to think i didn''t hear what you''ve said until now strm and john .. i''m just making things a little crisper for myself for my understanding

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/10/2007 6:50:45 PM
Author: DBM
i''m not looking to bother you about this... i''m not fully sure i understand what position you''re taking though. It sounds like you''re saying ''it can depend and vary. Sometimes depth can make it whiter, sometimes, yellower, sometimes off symmetry can make it better sometimes off-symmetry can make it worse..'' did i get the gist of it?

the only point i was trying to say in all this was that the added depth can help a J colored diamond (which in my opinion is a little risky to be put into a white metal) look better than usual... is that something you agree or disagree with? or feel no comment can be made on?
I am suggesting it "depends" and is complex. So read the GIA G&A article and come back if you have questions Daniel and I will try my best.,

It is not even as simple as John''s eg as when the pavilion of a round gets near 45 degrees then the stone starts to loose its color again.

So without some basic knowledge - it is very hard to explain. And I doubt we need a tutroial on color - how ever this is sergey''s and Yuri''s presentation to the GIA REsearch Symposium in San Diego in nAugust. The trouble is you may still need to read the G&G article.

It also explains what Storm is saying about thickness of material and shows the effect on both tone and saturation - you are trying to simplify color to light and dark - it is way way more complex I am afraid.

http://oct.gemology.ru/oct/projects/fancycolor.phtml

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 10:13:38 PM
Author: DBM

I don't want you guys to think i didn't hear what you've said until now strm and john .. i'm just making things a little crisper for myself for my understanding
No worries Daniel.Pricescope is great because it facilitates new ways of expressing things. I'll try to be more crispy-er, but Garry's right about the big picture.I’m just offering one slice of pie, not trying to feed the planet.

The question:Will added depth help a J colored diamond look better?
Answer:In this slice of pie (round brilliants of typical configuration) no.

We're talking about two things: (1) Intensity and (2) Light 'Leakage.'

...the yellow we see in the diamonds is the particular configuration of those molecules deflecting the yellow spectrum of the white light shined upon back at us... what does this have to do with how long the beamed light path stays in the diamond?? it's not like the beam is 'picking up' more color and getting more colored, is it?

Not at all. It's a matter of intensity: The longer a ray of light stays in the diamond the more it’s subject to dispersion & loss of energy. The faster you get a ray of light in and out of a diamond the more intense it is to the viewer.A ray that enters and comes directly back has more intensity than one that bounces around inside the diamond a few times before it’s returned.Intense light return can appear more colorless and increased performance qualities can mask inclusions.

You mentioned the ASET.It’s a great tool for assessing intensity.Here are simulations for the 3 examples I gave before.Red is the most intense light return.Green is less intense.The first diamond (Tolk) has far greater intensity because its crown and pavilion angles allow light to get in and out faster.As the examples here get deeper the crown & pavilion angles cause light to stay in the diamond longer, resulting in a loss of intensity.

LR609630646AS-Examples.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results