shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this diamond large enough...2.03?

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi fellow diamond lovers! I recently upgraded my 1.40 round brilliant cut to a 2.03 carat. After wearing it for three weeks, DSS has already set in! It is noticeably larger than my previous stone but it did not face up as large as I imagined. For reference, my finger size is 5.5. The stone is beautiful though! We found a larger stone, 2.20 for $1,800 more and is the same color but one clarity grade lower. Will it look THAT much larger on my finger?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! 75E3DF0A-7542-483B-81E3-C9466D48369F.jpeg
8.03 x 8.09 x 4.99, XXX, medium fluorescence, 2.03, K, VS2

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I had the same exact problem, lol. We have great problems, right? Mine is 2.13ct and before I got it, every time I heard of 2ct stone, I imagined this huge stone... it was not as big as I hoped for - that does not mean that I am disappointed in my ring by no means. I love it. We would need at least 2.45ct, best 2.60ct to see the difference from the 2ct. Going from 2.03 to 2.22ct that you are considering is not going to be much visible nor worth the money, IMHO. However, if you compare your desired 2.22ct to your old one 1.40ct, there will be a significant difference in size. But if you do not find 2ct big, 2.22 is not going to save it - is what I am trying to say.

Last edited:

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I had the same exact problem, lol. We have great problems, right? Mine is 2.13ct and before I got it, every time I heard of 2ct stone, I imagined this huge stone... it was not as big as I hoped for. We would need at least 2.45ct, best 2.60ct to see the difference from the 2ct. Going from 2.03 to 2.22ct that you are considering is not going to be visible nor worth the money, IMHO. However, if you compare your desired 2.22ct to your old one 1.40ct, there will be a significant difference in size. But if you do not find 2ct big, 2.22 is not going to save it - is what I am trying to say.

Thanks so much! I love your diamond in your avatar. Is that your 2.13 stone? Gorgeous!!! What band do you wear with it?

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much! I love your diamond in your avatar. Is that your 2.13 stone? Gorgeous!!! What band do you wear with it?

Thank you! Yes, that is the one! I wear it either alone (I want my stone to stand out) or paired with Tiffany Embrace band.

PS: My finger size is 3.5, ring is 4 and I believe I could go bigger... so I hear what you saying.

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Yes, that is the one! I wear it either alone (I want my stone to stand out) or paired with Tiffany Embrace band.

PS: My finger size is 3.5, ring is 4 and I believe I could go bigger... so I hear what you saying.

Love the Tiffany Embrace! Do you have the .57 TCW or the smaller size, 2.2 mm width and?

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have the smaller size so that it would not overpower the e-ring. Very classic combo, in case you are considering.

Yes, I am looking at the 2.2 mm with the .03 stones. Do you have a photo of your ering paired with the Embrace?

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I don't at the moment. I am at work and wear just my e-ring most of the time but can take some pics when I get home. It is a gorgeous combo, can't go wrong!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, congrats! It looks awesome!
to answer your question—for my last upgrade I had to choose between a 2.20 or a 2.05! I myself didn’t think I could appreciate the difference but I’m bad at that stuff. Hubby immediately saw it and told me to keep my 2.20 until the right upgrade came along. I was trying to upgrade for cut, so I didn’t care about size. Turns out that I went with size and ended up with a 2.52 but compromised on color and clarity and that is ultimately what is motivating me to upgrade yet again. So I would say—are you sure that clarity won’t bother you? Do you have the overall package right now?

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't at the moment. I am at work and wear just my e-ring most of the time but can take some pics when I get home. It is a gorgeous combo, can't go wrong!

That would be helpful! Thanks so much!

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
First, congrats! It looks awesome!
to answer your question—for my last upgrade I had to choose between a 2.20 or a 2.05! I myself didn’t think I could appreciate the difference but I’m bad at that stuff. Hubby immediately saw it and told me to keep my 2.20 until the right upgrade came along. I was trying to upgrade for cut, so I didn’t care about size. Turns out that I went with size and ended up with a 2.52 but compromised on color and clarity and that is ultimately what is motivating me to upgrade yet again. So I would say—are you sure that clarity won’t bother you? Do you have the overall package right now?
Thanks! I do love the stone and this is probably my last upgrade since we are retiring in a few years and looking to purchase our retirement home soon. My ideal size is a 3.0 carat. I don’t think an eye clean SI1 will bother me. Do you a photo of your ring? I’d love to see it!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I do love the stone and this is probably my last upgrade since we are retiring in a few years and looking to purchase our retirement home soon. My ideal size is a 3.0 carat. I don’t think an eye clean SI1 will bother me. Do you a photo of your ring? I’d love to see it!

Plenty! You can just search under my name! If you know you want to end up at a 3 carat, maybe you can save up some mode until you get closer?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
@ClassicSAC, can you tell us a little bit about the ring in your avatar? is it a RHR, or a previous e-ring that you've traded in? If you're accustomed to wearing a double halo honker, that may be the reason your 2 ct RB solitaire is already feeling "small"?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A well cut 2.2 should be around 8.3mm.

So here is your 8.03 compared with 8.3 size 6 1/2 finger 2mm shank
Capture.PNG

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a 2.02 carat stone at one time and upgraded to a 2.22. My best description in size increase was that it looked like a circle had been drawn around the outside circumference of the 2.02 carat stone - that was about the size increase for .20 of diamond. Because I was so familiar with my diamond, I could see the size difference but not so sure anyone else really could. I later upgraded to a 2.52 diamond and could definitely see the size difference of course. If you were upgrading either color or clarity too it might be worth it but you will be going down in clarity with the same color so not sure I would make that trade. At that point, it would honestly come down to cut quality between the two stones meaning whichever one had the best cut.

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@ClassicSAC, can you tell us a little bit about the ring in your avatar? is it a RHR, or a previous e-ring that you've traded in? If you're accustomed to wearing a double halo honker, that may be the reason your 2 ct RB solitaire is already feeling "small"?

It is a cushion cut halo ring, Soleste, from Tiffany’s. I purchased it pre-loved and loved this ring but unfortunately my hubby hated it. He wants me to have one large stone and it looked too busy for his taste. So, I sold my 1.4 solitaire and this ring to purchase my 2.03 carat. He loved my new stone! I have a few diamond bands and they seem to take away from this stone so I am thinking of just wearing a plain platinum band with it. My cushion cut was a 1.04, F, VS1 in a double halo and being from Tiffany’s, the craftsmanship of the setting was exquisite!

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
your ring looks nice! but i dont think there is going to be that much a visual difference between 2 and 2.2 ct.

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
your ring looks nice! but i dont think there is going to be that much a visual difference between 2 and 2.2 ct.

Thank you. After hearing from everyone on this post, I am going to keep my current stone until my next upgrade to a 2.50 or 3.0, my dream ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results