shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this cushion a good one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ladyoflovers

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been looking for stones for a while but still consider myself pretty ignorant on this subject. I ran into this brilliant cut cushion:

1.72c
very good cut
H color, IF clarity
Depth %: 64.7%
Table %: 55%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Thin to thick, faceted
Culet: Medium
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 7.95 x 6.80 x 4.40 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.17
GIA certificate

Price is a little under $12,000.

I checked some bigger carat stones but they were not bigger in length and width when compared to this one.

Do you guys think this is a good one? By the way, I''m the fiancee to be.

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
The table is a bit on the low end but still within ideal proportions. Have you looked at it?
And are you sure you want to pay for an IF clairity? I mean the price seems to be reasonable though. But you could drop a bit in clairity and go with an ideal cut or E/F color. Really it''s all about looking at the stone in the end though. Do you love it?

Ladyoflovers

Shiny_Rock
no, i haven''t seen it. it''s on Blue Nile. I assume it is a trustable vendor.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
folly to try to buy fancies by numbers.

Ladyoflovers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 11:53:10 AM
Author: JulieN
i wish i had another option but i do not know any jewellers in the city that i could trust and the only reputable jewellery stores are Tiffany''s and Fortunoff''s which sell for crazy figures. The infamous 47th street has many scary stories that I can''t dare to step into. That''s why I decided to go online. BTW, I live in Manhattan, NYC.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the IF is overkill, but the numbers look pretty good to me - unfortunately numbers don''t mean a lot so you really have to see the stone, or at least some pictures or something!

Ladyoflovers

Shiny_Rock
I guess we could return if we don''t like it. Does Blue Nile send pictures of the stones?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 11:59:52 AM
Author: Ladyoflovers

i wish i had another option but i do not know any jewellers in the city that i could trust and the only reputable jewellery stores are Tiffany''s and Fortunoff''s which sell for crazy figures. The infamous 47th street has many scary stories that I can''t dare to step into. That''s why I decided to go online. BTW, I live in Manhattan, NYC.
Okay - few things:
1. it is foly to choose by numbers, but to purchase and view - at BN that''s all you have to work with and you can return if you don''t like it. Do you have a link? I''d like to see the facet plot.
2. 55%is not low on table for a *cushion* diamond. Traditionally cushion diamonds can drop really low, particularl if they have wonderful thick crowns. I have seen antique cushions with tables in the 40% and they''re awesome. Depends on what you''re looking for in a cushion, really.
-space-
3. YOU LIVE IN NYC? You''ve got i made. Call Mark from ERD and tell him what you''re looking for and that you live locally and can come in to see - you m''dear have the BEST of both worlds right in your palm, I advise you to take advantage of that!!

Ladyoflovers

Shiny_Rock
And let''s assume I saw the stone and liked the appearance of it. Is that a good purchase price? Are the dimensions good? Because I really don''t care too much on the details, all I pay attention is how it looks to my eye and as long as the setting is fabolous.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 12:21:34 PM
I guess we could return if we don''t like it. Does Blue Nile send pictures of the stones?
no they don''t

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 12:27:04 PM
Author: strmrdr
Id take a trip out to good old gold in Long Island if I was in NY.

www.goodoldgold.com

Call first and have them get a line up of stones ready for you in your price range.
also see this thread...
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-on-gog-cushion-cut.54820/
I love jon - he''s another great choice as well. He''ll provide you with more analysis, but mark will provide you with more options since he''s right there in the district.

Ladyoflovers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 12:23:14 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 12/13/2006 11:59:52 AM

Okay - few things:
1. it is foly to choose by numbers, but to purchase and view - at BN that''s all you have to work with and you can return if you don''t like it. Do you have a link? I''d like to see the facet plot.
2. 55%is not low on table for a *cushion* diamond. Traditionally cushion diamonds can drop really low, particularl if they have wonderful thick crowns. I have seen antique cushions with tables in the 40% and they''re awesome. Depends on what you''re looking for in a cushion, really.
-space-
3. YOU LIVE IN NYC? You''ve got i made. Call Mark from ERD and tell him what you''re looking for and that you live locally and can come in to see - you m''dear have the BEST of both worlds right in your palm, I advise you to take advantage of that!!
What is ERD?

Here is the link: http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00101238&track=rvDia_2&elem=dia_view#grading_report

Ladyoflovers

Shiny_Rock
Ok, Mark from ERD and Jon from goodoldgold. I just need to find out what ERD is now.

Thanks guys!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
I just purchased a 3+ cushion diamond from Jonathan at GOG. He was SOOOO patient with me, answered all of my questions, made a video of diamonds he hand selected for me, and basically took the pain out of diamond shopping.

I received a second appraisal on the stone today... and what can I say.... I''M DOING A HAPPY DANCE!!!!
30.gif

Ladyoflovers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 2:01:07 PM
Author: Rock Candy
I just purchased a 3+ cushion diamond from Jonathan at GOG. He was SOOOO patient with me, answered all of my questions, made a video of diamonds he hand selected for me, and basically took the pain out of diamond shopping.

I received a second appraisal on the stone today... and what can I say.... I''M DOING A HAPPY DANCE!!!!
30.gif
Are the prices reasonable?

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I found their prices reasonable. I believe that Jonathan found the needle in the haystack!

gadiamondidiot

Rough_Rock
Another endorsement for Good Old Gold from me. They are AMAZING. Just tell them exactly what you want and they find it. The videos are a nice touch too. I too was looking for cushions online and can tell you 100% that you need to see a photo of the diamond to have any idea what you are getting. There are so many variations of cushions and variations within those variations. You cannot possibly judge a cushion based on numbers alone.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
That stone faces up larger than a lot of 2 carat cushions at a fraction of the price. That's a smart initial selection strategy as long as the stone looks good. Can't say I'm that big on the current crop of GOG cushions - great light performance but the sides are fairly straight for an almost rectangular appearance. My personal preference is for a bit more of a subtle curvature to the sides.

Ladyoflovers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 7:43:20 AM
Author: elmo
That stone faces up larger than a lot of 2 carat cushions at a fraction of the price. That''s a smart initial selection strategy as long as the stone looks good. Can''t say I''m that big on the current crop of GOG cushions - great light performance but the sides are fairly straight for an almost rectangular appearance. My personal preference is for a bit more of a subtle curvature to the sides.
are you mentioning the one i picked from bluenile when you say facing up larger?

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 11:01:56 AM
are you mentioning the one i picked from bluenile when you say facing up larger?
Yes, that one is almost 8x7 and there are similar color/clarity cushions over two carats and closer to $20K that face up visibly smaller. Still can't tell anything about how it really looks though without seeing it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results