shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this an ideal or excellent cut by AGS/GIA standards?

dogmom89

Rough_Rock
Hi all! Thank you so much in advance for reading.

I did a different post originally, but thought I'd put a clearer title. I'm new.. off to find out how to delete old post haha

Long story short, it's been a long and stressful journey with my engagement ring. I was proposed to with a mined diamond and I really wanted a lab created (moral reasons) Thankfully, our jeweller bought the mined diamond back and we are having my ring re-set with a lab diamond (and adding a halo!) I've been searching and reading all that I can.... I get excited about a diamond on paper only to find out it has obvious flaws in the video or vice versa. I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on this one but would LOVE some advice from you experts on here :) Really appreciate it.

It's a 1.71 carat, VVS2, F color, Ideal cut. CVD Type IIA (I don't see any striation marks or brown tint like I did with many others in video)
I ran it through a cut estimator and it *seems* to hit the AGS and GIA ideal/excellent but just barely? I'm not sure what the actual grade would be. The video looks like there may be some darkness under the table but could just be the camera angle? Really wanting a beautifully cut diamond with a ton of sparkle. It was graded by IGI (which I understand is common for labs) but want to know how it would hold up to the others.

Specs:
57.5% table
61.3% total depth
34.6 Crown angle
40.9 Pav angle
Girdle: Thin to medium

Here is a link to the video: http://diamondgirl.website/videoanother.php?refno=4257250

Thank you all so much! Any and all advice welcome, I'm hoping to buy it ASAP.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately I'm not a fan of this one. The arrows don't look clear or well defined.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget and desired specs in terms of size, color, etc?

dogmom89

Rough_Rock
What is your budget and desired specs in terms of size, color, etc?

Thank you so much for your reply :) Love your username, I run a non-profit rescue... also probably explains why I'm severely stressed out spending so much on something like this! (Technically it's my fiancé spending, but still)

1.6-1.8 carats
F color (really scared of brown or blue tints)
VS2 (eye clean)
Ideal cut***

I've noticed a lot of diamonds are listed as ideal but on further inspection.... does not seem to be the case.

Lab diamonds only. I'm Canadian so we get a horrible exchange rate but hoping to keep the budget to $4200 US for the loose stone. We took a significant loss selling back the mined diamond and now getting a second setting custom made.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for your reply :) Love your username, I run a non-profit rescue... also probably explains why I'm severely stressed out spending so much on something like this! (Technically it's my fiancé spending, but still)

1.6-1.8 carats
F color (really scared of brown or blue tints)
VS2 (eye clean)
Ideal cut***

I've noticed a lot of diamonds are listed as ideal but on further inspection.... does not seem to be the case.

Lab diamonds only. I'm Canadian so we get a horrible exchange rate but hoping to keep the budget to $4200 US for the loose stone. We took a significant loss selling back the mined diamond and now getting a second setting custom made.

totally understand. The label "ideal cut" for lab diamonds (and natural ones also unless they are specialty cuts) is fairly meaningless. Let me look to see what I can find.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found some I think have good potential. You'll need to ask for the certifications to make sure there aren't any issues or other red flags. You're looking for depth under 62.4%, table between 54-58, crown angle 35-35 (35.5 sometimes ok), pavillion angle 40.6-40.8 (up to 40.9 or even 41 sometimes). JA no longer has their reports posted, you need to request them for any stones you like (can do it via chat). I'm guessing all of these will fall into those ranges but obviously I could be wrong.

EDIT. The "excellent" label for GIA is insanely broad and many XXX GIA stones are pretty poorly cut. The ranges of numbers above represent a stricter standard that is more likely to give a stone that's as well cut as possible.

Make sure these are eye clean. Not 100% sure they are, but I like the look of both.

Just a smidge under 1.6ct but the hearts/arrows images look excellent

Hearts and arrows look amazing but nervous about the black inclusion. I would want a gemologist to look at it. A bit under 1.6
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...olor-si1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-10527886

Under 1.6 but looks really nice to me:

dogmom89

Rough_Rock
totally understand. The label "ideal cut" for lab diamonds (and natural ones also unless they are specialty cuts) is fairly meaningless. Let me look to see what I can fi
Thank you SO much for taking the time to review these for me! I'm looking into them now :) Really appreciate your help

dogmom89

Rough_Rock
I found some I think have good potential. You'll need to ask for the certifications to make sure there aren't any issues or other red flags. You're looking for depth under 62.4%, table between 54-58, crown angle 35-35 (35.5 sometimes ok), pavillion angle 40.6-40.8 (up to 40.9 or even 41 sometimes). JA no longer has their reports posted, you need to request them for any stones you like (can do it via chat). I'm guessing all of these will fall into those ranges but obviously I could be wrong.

EDIT. The "excellent" label for GIA is insanely broad and many XXX GIA stones are pretty poorly cut. The ranges of numbers above represent a stricter standard that is more likely to give a stone that's as well cut as possible.

Make sure these are eye clean. Not 100% sure they are, but I like the look of both.

Just a smidge under 1.6ct but the hearts/arrows images look excellent

Hearts and arrows look amazing but nervous about the black inclusion. I would want a gemologist to look at it. A bit under 1.6
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...olor-si1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-10527886

Under 1.6 but looks really nice to me:

Sorry to bother you again! I was wondering what your thoughts were on this one? The cut looks amazing- AGS 0 and has the hearts and arrows on the cert (not paying a premium selecting that in my search but bonus if it is I guess?) It's a little smaller as well, I kind of had my heart set on a 1.7... but an exceptionally cut 1.58 would probably look pretty well the same? I will also be adding a petite halo to her.

It's a 1.58 (7.45x7.47x4.6mm) E color, VS2, Ideal.
57% table, 61.6% total depth. 34.7 crown angle, 40.8 pav angle

The face front view I see strong arrows without blackness in between which I'm learning is a good sign? Haha. It's a HPHT grown and not CVD... I'm nervous about blue tint which can look lovely but not for me. If it's an E color shouldn't be a problem though?

It won't let me save the video or image to post. Thank you SO so much again.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to bother you again! I was wondering what your thoughts were on this one? The cut looks amazing- AGS 0 and has the hearts and arrows on the cert (not paying a premium selecting that in my search but bonus if it is I guess?) It's a little smaller as well, I kind of had my heart set on a 1.7... but an exceptionally cut 1.58 would probably look pretty well the same? I will also be adding a petite halo to her.

It's a 1.58 (7.45x7.47x4.6mm) E color, VS2, Ideal.
57% table, 61.6% total depth. 34.7 crown angle, 40.8 pav angle

The face front view I see strong arrows without blackness in between which I'm learning is a good sign? Haha. It's a HPHT grown and not CVD... I'm nervous about blue tint which can look lovely but not for me. If it's an E color shouldn't be a problem though?

It won't let me save the video or image to post. Thank you SO so much again.

Can you post a link? Not sure which stone you're referring to.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It says not available because I put it on hold

I think it looks nice! Note sure what you mean by AGS 0--do you mean it seems to fall in that range for cut? I wouldn't worry too much about any blue tint. I don't see a blue tint at all in the videos, but if you are worried you could ask them to send you the stone loose to look at and send back if you don't like it.

dogmom89

Rough_Rock
I think it looks nice! Note sure what you mean by AGS 0--do you mean it seems to fall in that range for cut? I wouldn't worry too much about any blue tint. I don't see a blue tint at all in the videos, but if you are worried you could ask them to send you the stone loose to look at and send back if you don't like it.

Phew, thank you! I appreciate your help more than you know.

It's a little trickier because we are in Canada... so we have to pay over $600 in duties when it's shipped here... which is why I'm so stressed about getting it right. Otherwise I'd just order a couple and send back the non winners

Do you think the difference between a 1.58 and 1.71 is noticeable? Especially if I'm adding a thin halo? I had my heart set on a 1.7 but when I look at photos of each size I can barely tell the difference. I hope I don't get DSS that everyone talks about!

With the AGS 0- on the chart (when I look up the table/crown angle/pav angle) it shows it's right in the middle of AGS ideal/0 rating. Maybe I'm not wording it right haha but basically when I look it up on AGS and GIA cut ratings it scores the highest mark on both

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phew, thank you! I appreciate your help more than you know.

It's a little trickier because we are in Canada... so we have to pay over $600 in duties when it's shipped here... which is why I'm so stressed about getting it right. Otherwise I'd just order a couple and send back the non winners

Do you think the difference between a 1.58 and 1.71 is noticeable? Especially if I'm adding a thin halo? I had my heart set on a 1.7 but when I look at photos of each size I can barely tell the difference. I hope I don't get DSS that everyone talks about!

With the AGS 0- on the chart (when I look up the table/crown angle/pav angle) it shows it's right in the middle of AGS ideal/0 rating. Maybe I'm not wording it right haha but basically when I look it up on AGS and GIA cut ratings it scores the highest mark on both

Bold makes sense--sorry I was just confused. This is my favorite website for size questions: diamdb.com. You can put in the exact dimensions from the reports and then see: 1) size difference, and 2) how it would look on your finger and you can put in your finger size. I don't see the dimensions for the 1.71 you were considering so I can't enter it myself.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results