color
clarity

Is this a triple ideal diamond?

yodaling

Rough_Rock
Trade
IMG_20240424_212250.jpg
Hi everyone,
I am in need of help. I went to a local Asian jewelry store asking for quote for a custom tennis bracelet. The store said they are reputable and only select triple ideal cut diamonds and this will be "demonstrated" in the cert but they only work with GIA certificate. So i asked if they could show me a sample cert where it shows that the diamond will be triple ideal and this is one cert they sent me.

I looked at some of the specs and compare to beyond4cs.com spec for ideal cut and noticed that the star facet % and lower girdle % are off the range.

Is this still a triple ideal cut diamond as claimed? Also since GIA has purchased AGS, can we still get aset scope in the GIA cert? For normal people like me, I wouldn't know if it's really triple ideal without looking at the idealscope image or aset image on the cert.

Please advice.

Thank you.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think what they meant is that it's a "triple excellent" stone. Unfortunately, GIA XXX doesn't actually mean much. It's an overly broad category, and many of the stones aren't good. You can ask them for an ASET or IS, but it doesn't mean they have the equipment to do it (or would be willing to).

The stone attached could be ok, or it could be a dud. It depends on how it looks, and we'd need pics/videos to know

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ps. For such small stones (e.g. .3ct) you really don't need VS1. an eye clean SI1 or VS2 will look the same

yodaling

Rough_Rock
Trade
They specifically mentioned they specialized in triple ideal being a reputable diamond store but work with GIA cert only which of course only shows 3EX. I told them to quote me for F/G, VS diamonds so that I can compare to Whiteflash's pricing and they quoted me $820 for each diamond claiming they will be ideal cut but will only provide me with the GIA cert. So I'm feeling a little uncomfortable without seeing ASET image since GIA cert does not show the ASET image but I read on GIA site that you could request for additional AGS ideal cert for extra cost? At this point, I"m just trying to compare costs and want to know if I can rely on this Asian jeweler or I should just ditch them lol.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They specifically mentioned they specialized in triple ideal being a reputable diamond store but work with GIA cert only which of course only shows 3EX. I told them to quote me for F/G, VS diamonds so that I can compare to Whiteflash's pricing and they quoted me $820 for each diamond claiming they will be ideal cut but will only provide me with the GIA cert. So I'm feeling a little uncomfortable without seeing ASET image since GIA cert does not show the ASET image but I read on GIA site that you could request for additional AGS ideal cert for extra cost? At this point, I"m just trying to compare costs and want to know if I can rely on this Asian jeweler or I should just ditch them lol.

They csnt show any proof that what they're selling is what they claim. So I would ditch them quickly. Triple ideal may mean AGS000, but if they aren't AGS stoned then they're just making stuff up

yodaling

Rough_Rock
Trade
Screenshot_20240424_220513_com.google.android.apps.messaging.jpg Screenshot_20240424_220531_com.google.android.apps.messaging.jpg
This is part of my text message with them. So giving them the benefit of doubt I asked for a sample gia cert so that i can verify the spec if they are indeed triple ideal and wanted to see if any experts here can chime in.

I wonder if I can insist on paying extra to have the diamonds sent in to GIA for ADDITIONAL AGS ideal report? Does anyone know how much it cost per cert please? GIA cert mentioned it is 50% off currently.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No idea about cost. But again, the stone they sent tells you nothing. No pics, no video. It could have looked crappy IRL because of the shallow crown/pav combo.

I wouldn't risk messing with people who can't prove what they say and just keep using buzzwords. If you're considering whiteflash, just go with them.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This person is claiming "ideal" cut, but only showing it with gia XXX. Those 2 terms don't mean the same thing

yodaling

Rough_Rock
Trade
No idea about cost. But again, the stone they sent tells you nothing. No pics, no video. It could have looked crappy IRL because of the shallow crown/pav combo.

I wouldn't risk messing with people who can't prove what they say and just keep using buzzwords. If you're considering whiteflash, just go with them.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I looked at this chart provided by beyond4cs from AGS but I'm not sure if it's updated. Based on the crown/pavilion angle, the cut is only "Excellent" too and not "ideal". May I ask if I go with a 0.5 carat each diamond, would SI still be eye clean? Also do you think G or H color will be ok or H will look yellow in that size and better to go with G color?
1714027767262.png

Last edited:

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Hey.

There's a good chance that your stone is this one:

different video also here:

GIA certificate: 1407855289

Same certificate date, same defects, same proportions, same measurements, guess its safe to assume we talk about the same gemstone.
@lovedogs

Edit:
As per GIA website:

AGS Ideal report costs 25 USD.
However, logistic costs may get in between which may be considerable. check how close any GIA laboratory is to your location for an approximation of all costs.
1714040542089.png

Last edited:

yodaling

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hey.

There's a good chance that your stone is this one:

different video also here:

GIA certificate: 1407855289

Same certificate date, same defects, same proportions, same measurements, guess its safe to assume we talk about the same gemstone.
@lovedogs

Edit:
As per GIA website:

AGS Ideal report costs 25 USD.
However, logistic costs may get in between which may be considerable. check how close any GIA laboratory is to your location for an approximation of all costs.
1714040542089.png

Wow thank you for locating the diamond!! How did you find it? I'm wondering if this Asian jeweler is sourcing from blue niles then or there could be many sites selling the same loose diamond at different price?

I am in northern California and the nearest lab is in southern california. If they are sourcing from blue niles, they would have to ship from blue niles to GIA for the extra certification? Anyway I doubt this stone is ideal cut due to the shallow angle as mentioned. I wouldn't even want to buy from the jeweler if they cannot even proof what they are claiming as ideal cut.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Wow thank you for locating the diamond!! How did you find it? I'm wondering if this Asian jeweler is sourcing from blue niles then or there could be many sites selling the same loose diamond at different price?

I am in northern California and the nearest lab is in southern california. If they are sourcing from blue niles, they would have to ship from blue niles to GIA for the extra certification? Anyway I doubt this stone is ideal cut due to the shallow angle as mentioned. I wouldn't even want to buy from the jeweler if they cannot even proof what they are claiming as ideal cut.

If you want to ensure ideal cut, I would contact JannPaul (Singapore), or go with Whiteflash. If you want Whiteflash ACA melee in the bracelet, you need to request it, and there will be an additional charge. You could also contact Brian Gavin for their signature melee. https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ets/products/4-5ct-four-prong-tennis-bracelet. I have also anecdotally heard that Grunberger will sell melee to individuals, but this may be more than you want to deal with. https://grunbergerdiamonds.us/

Edit: I wanted to add that for melee diamonds, it would be cost-prohibitive to get each one certified. None of the vendors I mentioned would be providing certificates for the melee. That is normal practice and would not be expected, but these are trusted vendors and there would be no doubt that they are selling you the promised quality.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, unless you are using .30 size and above, the diamonds won’t be graded by GIA. That starts at .30 and above.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly don't understand why you want to go with this random jeweler rather than a known trustworthy one. Especially if you're in California.

Diamonds aren't owned by one company unless they are in house from places like whiteflash, Brian gsvin, etc. This jeweler is likely just finding the same inventory you can see online.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for your feedback. I looked at this chart provided by beyond4cs from AGS but I'm not sure if it's updated. Based on the crown/pavilion angle, the cut is only "Excellent" too and not "ideal". May I ask if I go with a 0.5 carat each diamond, would SI still be eye clean? Also do you think G or H color will be ok or H will look yellow in that size and better to go with G color?
1714027767262.png

Yes an eye clean SI1 will still be clean in .5 size. H will look white to most people in that size unless you're super sensitive to color

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I honestly don't understand why you want to go with this random jeweler rather than a known trustworthy one. Especially if you're in California.

Diamonds aren't owned by one company unless they are in house from places like whiteflash, Brian gsvin, etc. This jeweler is likely just finding the same inventory you can see online.

I missed that the OP is in California. I recommended JannPaul, thinking you were in Asia. If you’re in the US, I’d go with Whiteflash or Brian Gavin.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want "triple ideal" why dont you purchase from Whiteflash? You're guaranteed Ideal vetted stones. Looks like you are in
the same price range. We had a pricescoper collect WF ACA stones over a few years and put together a tennis bracelet. I'll look
for that thread (as soon as I get back).

yodaling

Rough_Rock
Trade
I missed that the OP is in California. I recommended JannPaul, thinking you were in Asia. If you’re in the US, I’d go with Whiteflash or Brian Gavin.

I have access to Jannpaul as well as I frequent Singapore. I've contacted them via email but their response has been slow so far and I haven't gotten any quite for the decagon diamonds.

Is their pricing on par with whiteflash or Brian Gavin? So far based on a 0.5 carat each diamond spec, Brian Gavin quoted me a far better price than Whiteflash for F/G and VS with their ideal cut.

I've also tried contacting Continental Diamonds and their price is much higher but for G/H and SI but only with very good to excellent cut. Michael said if we go with VS, the price would double of what he has quoted me. Continental Diamond is currently most expensive but I'm not sure why especially when I was told the diamonds will be just very good to excellent cut. I read somewhere that they use Grunberger?

I tried writing to Grunberger asking for a quote for a single diamond just to get a feel of their price range but received no reply. I wonder if it's because I'm not in the jewelry business so they don't entertain individuals but if they do sell to private individuals I will try contacting them again.

yodaling

Rough_Rock
Trade

I have access to Jannpaul as well as I frequent Singapore. Is their pricing on par with whiteflash or Brian Gavin? So far based on a 0.5 carat each diamond spec, Brian Gavin quoted me a far better price than Whiteflash for F/G and VS with their ideal cut. I've tried contacting Continental Diamonds and their price is much higher but for G/H and SI but only with very good to excellent cut. Michael said if we go with VS, the price would double of what he has quoted me. Continental Diamond is currently most expensive but I'm not sure why especially when I was told the diamonds will be just very good to excellent cut. I read somewhere that they use Grunberger
If you want "triple ideal" why dont you purchase from Whiteflash? You're guaranteed Ideal vetted stones. Looks like you are in
the same price range. We had a pricescoper collect WF ACA stones over a few years and put together a tennis bracelet. I'll look
for that thread (as soon as I get back).

That is a good idea. But where did the PSer bring the loose diamonds to set? I don't know any reliable local jewelers. How do you ensure they won't switch out your diamonds? Do you bring a 20x loupe to check every serial number on the diamond when picking up the bracelet?

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I have access to Jannpaul as well as I frequent Singapore. I've contacted them via email but their response has been slow so far and I haven't gotten any quite for the decagon diamonds.

Is their pricing on par with whiteflash or Brian Gavin? So far based on a 0.5 carat each diamond spec, Brian Gavin quoted me a far better price than Whiteflash for F/G and VS with their ideal cut.

I've also tried contacting Continental Diamonds and their price is much higher but for G/H and SI but only with very good to excellent cut. Michael said if we go with VS, the price would double of what he has quoted me. Continental Diamond is currently most expensive but I'm not sure why especially when I was told the diamonds will be just very good to excellent cut. I read somewhere that they use Grunberger?

I tried writing to Grunberger asking for a quote for a single diamond just to get a feel of their price range but received no reply. I wonder if it's because I'm not in the jewelry business so they don't entertain individuals but if they do sell to private individuals I will try contacting them again.

I can tell you what the Grunberger invoice to my jeweler was for G/VS melee: $1,620 per carat.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I have access to Jannpaul as well as I frequent Singapore. Is their pricing on par with whiteflash or Brian Gavin? So far based on a 0.5 carat each diamond spec, Brian Gavin quoted me a far better price than Whiteflash for F/G and VS with their ideal cut. I've tried contacting Continental Diamonds and their price is much higher but for G/H and SI but only with very good to excellent cut. Michael said if we go with VS, the price would double of what he has quoted me. Continental Diamond is currently most expensive but I'm not sure why especially when I was told the diamonds will be just very good to excellent cut. I read somewhere that they use Grunberger

That is a good idea. But where did the PSer bring the loose diamonds to set? I don't know any reliable local jewelers. How do you ensure they won't switch out your diamonds? Do you bring a 20x loupe to check every serial number on the diamond when picking up the bracelet?

She bought them from Whiteflash and had Whiteflash set them. So, no trust issues there.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock

I think JannPaul might be the highest.

yodaling

Rough_Rock
Trade
I can tell you what the Grunberger invoice to my jeweler was for G/VS melee: $1,620 per carat.

By melee, I'm assuming it is less than 0.3 carat each?

yodaling

Rough_Rock
Trade

If I need 30 pieces of 0.5 carat each for a total of 15 carat, would it be correct to say it will be $1620x15 carat = $24300? Or for diamonds larger than 0.3 carat each, there is a different carat pricing?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ACA bracelet belongs to @RunningwithScissors ...here are a few of the threads on the subject. She has some amazing pieces!
Check out post #17

Not sure where the "final" thread is on her bracelet.

yodaling

Rough_Rock
Trade
The ACA bracelet belongs to @RunningwithScissors ...here are a few of the threads on the subject. She has some amazing pieces!
Check out post #17

Not sure where the "final" thread is on her bracelet.

Thank you for finding and sharing her threads. She does have amazing pieces! And it's nice that she lives where Whiteflash is located in Texas too.

Please pardon my ignorance as I'm still a fairly new PSer but does anyone know if CBI diamonds are still available to be purchased? Are these more sparkly than ACA, hearts and Arrows, etc?

I don't think she has finished collecting the number of diamonds required yet to finish her tennis bracelet project but her goal is to complete it this year when she is 50. I think she needs 28 for 3 prongs but unsure if she decided on 4 prongs and will need more than that but have acquired 12 currently.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for finding and sharing her threads. She does have amazing pieces! And it's nice that she lives where Whiteflash is located in Texas too.

Please pardon my ignorance as I'm still a fairly new PSer but does anyone know if CBI diamonds are still available to be purchased? Are these more sparkly than ACA, hearts and Arrows, etc?

I don't think she has finished collecting the number of diamonds required yet to finish her tennis bracelet project but her goal is to complete it this year when she is 50. I think she needs 28 for 3 prongs but unsure if she decided on 4 prongs and will need more than that but have acquired 12 currently.

ACA and CBI (now sold by continental diamonds and under a different name), are on the same playing field, along with Brian Gavin's branded cuts and Victor canera's in house line.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock

If I need 30 pieces of 0.5 carat each for a total of 15 carat, would it be correct to say it will be $1620x15 carat = $24300? Or for diamonds larger than 0.3 carat each, there is a different carat pricing?

I don’t know if that pricing structure would extend to .5 ct. I ordered two .2 ct stones. Given that it seems like your budget works with Brian Gavin, I would just go with them and be stress-free!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

She bought the individual diamonds from Whiteflash and they set them in a bracelet. They are not going to switch out diamonds that they just sold to a customer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results