shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good sapphire?

AppleGem

Rough_Rock
Hello,

My boyfriend purchased a sapphire without a lab report. Could anyone please give me their opinion? I have no idea how good it is or how much it would go for.

DESCRIPTION: oval sapphire wich is si.v-Blue (T 56 / S 56.) Type II: VS clarity and weghs aprox 3.38 carats.

Many thanks,

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I don't know anything about those numbers but maybe someone here will. Can you post some photos?

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
welcome to colored stones, applegem.

i am a relative newbie, but here are some thoughts/questions:

1. can you still return the sapphire?
2. can you post a photo? while it's really hard to assess a stone through photos alone, without a photo i'd say it's impossible (for a colored stone).
3. is it heated or unheated?
4. are there any other treatments?
5. who was the seller?
6. how much did it cost/what's your budget?
7. if there was no certificate, what is the source of the color / saturation numbers?

if you can provide more information, i'm sure some of the more experienced folks can help.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AppleGem|1335150594|3178171 said:
Hello,

My boyfriend purchased a sapphire without a lab report. Could anyone please give me their opinion? I have no idea how good it is or how much it would go for.

DESCRIPTION: oval sapphire wich is si.v-Blue (T 56 / S 56.) Type II: VS clarity and weghs aprox 3.38 carats.

Many thanks,

Without a photo and some decent criteria explaining the true clarity and saturation on this gem, as well as a reputable lab report indicating all possible treatment, it's impossible to assess the value. We don't even know who you bought it from as the dealer might be less than reputable. I also do not know what the numbers above mean, but if those numbers are meant to grade saturation and tone, and they were graded in-house, you should know that it's best to get an independent lab report instead.

If it was a lot of money, I highly recommend you send it to AGL in NYC, and hopefully the dealer will give you a refund if it turns out to be less than you expected, or if it comes back with an invasive treatment like irradiation, coating or diffusion, which renders the stone far less valuable than a normal heated or unheated/untreated stone. The stone could have fillers too, or worst case, be synthetic, but we don't know for sure without a lab report.

Corundum (sapphire & ruby), in my experience and opinion, is one of the most difficult gemstones on the market to buy because there are so many kinds of treatment and synthesis. Some of these treatments are also not detectable with standard gemological equipment. If you don't have enough time in your return period to get it tested, then try to get a refund or work out something with the dealer in order to get an independent lab report. If he/she refuses, I would ask for a refund.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are so many unknown variables that based on your description alone, the stone could be worth anywhere from $100 to $100,000. The description is vague and only tells the very basic which is that it is VS in clarity (I presume eye clean), slightly violetish blue and that it is 3.38 carats. I am unsure what the T/S represents other than possibly tone and saturation. That said, I have no clue which scale they are basing their grading on. I am surprised that number is provided given that it did not come with a lab memo so I wonder who gave their opinion on it.

1. Photography - while it isn't definitive, having a few pictures (indoors, outdoors and on the hand) might give us some idea of its colour.
2. Any idea of the level of treatment? In general, given that all other specifications are identical in terms of size, carat weight, colour, clarity and etc, an unheated stone is the most expensive, heated is mid-range, and heavily treated stones are the least expensive. Heavily treated stones refer to those that have been diffused, clarity enhanced and etc.
3. True assessment of the big Cs: colour, clarity, carat weight and to a smaller degree, the cut. Colour (hue, saturation and tone) is going to play a fairly large role in determining the market value of the sapphire.

Therefore, to get some idea of what it is worth or to decide if your BF paid a fair price, these questions need to be answered. The only sure way to get the answers is to either send it to a reputable lab like AGL or GIA in the US, although AGL is preferable because they specialize in coloured gemstones, or to a experienced gemologist. Note that not all GGs are created equally as most are more well versed in diamonds rather than coloured gemstones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results