shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good round diamond?

CedarPointOH

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

First thanks for being such a nice community and providing useful and expert advice. I am getting close to buying a round diamond for an engagement ring. I am looking to buy a diamond that is excellent and has a good balance of qualities. I do gravitate towards higher clarity ratings and I think it should be mentioned that I am planning on setting this in 14k yellow gold.

Is this a good diamond? I would like a lot of sparkle up close and from a distance, that's clear, relatively colorless diamond, and nice wide dimensions for the carat size. What worries me some is it get's a HCA of 0.7 my research tells me I might like something closer to a 1.2-1.7.

Please be specific in your response, what you like or don't like, what I should expect when I see it in person or things like, yes its good, great, excellent, deal-of-the-century etc. OR stay away, no keep shopping.

$9,650
Round
GIA
1.20 ct
Color: G
Clarity: IF
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Depth: 59.3%
Table: 58%
Crown angle: 32.5 degrees
Pavilion angle: 41.0 degrees
Girdle: Thin-medium
Culet: None
6.95 x 6.98 x 4.13

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!:)

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, keep shopping. The crown angle is too low at 32.5 and might be at risk for chipping. We recommend the following ranges when looking for stones on your own:
table: 54-58
depth: 60-62.3
crown angle: 34-35.0 (sometimes 35.5 if the pavilion angle is close to 40.6)
pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

Re: HCA score...We advise to only look for stones that score under 2, but ,8 is not better than 1.8, 1.5 is not better than 1.1. This is a tool based on 4 data points only and should be used as an elimination tool only (not a selection tool).

I know you said you want higher clarity but you are greatly limiting your options - keep in mind that even IF stones are not free from blemishes. It is extremely difficult to find any inclusions with high power magnification in VVS stones and even in a lot of VS stones so you could save yourself quite a bit of money or go up in size.

If you'd like us to suggest some stones for you, give us your budget and desired specs and we'd be happy to! :wavey:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not for you. This diamond will lack fire and sparkle, which you mentioned you want, due to the low crown angle.

It is 60/60 style. It excels in white light return and spread. Sparkle? Not so much.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results