shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ryandrea

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!
My boyfriend and I have been looking for engagment rings for the last little while, and we found a beautiful diamond, but we''re not sure that we''re getting a good price for it.
It''s a round brilliant diamond, 1.72 carats, E-F colour, VS2-SI1 clarity and it''s an ideal cut. The jeweller quoted us $14,000 Canadian, taxes included (equals approx. $10,370 USD). The diamond also comes with a beautiful white gold band.
Is this a good price? Any feedback would be appreciated!
Thanks!
twirl.gif

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
Who certified the diamond???
I have not seen any world renoun labs. given such a range on color and quality at the same time.
I would be weary ,the most prominent labs give only one color and one calrity on their lab reports.and those are the most acceptable reports throughout the world.
I think you should go on the web and do a search in a few
websites to compare the same 4 c's ,these sites are an indication of similar stone that are selling on the market these days.
My biggest question is who certified the stones???

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Are you a gambling man? I'm not but if that's an inhouse grade I'm willing to bet it's not what it's being advertised as. No lab report, no Sarin, nothing to back it up, just this guys word. Have it sent to RockDoc, Dave Atlas, or Rich Sherwood and tell this guy you'll purchase it IF it is really what he says.

Rhino

ryandrea

Rough_Rock
I will call the jeweller today (hopefully he's in), and will find out all of the specs. The ones I wrote in my first post are from what I remember him telling us. It is a properly certified diamond and he showed us the certification. I'll also ask him what company certified it.
twirl.gif

ryandrea

Rough_Rock
I was discussing this with my boyfriend, and he said that the reason why the jeweller gave us a range for the colour and clarity was because he was explaining to us the difference in grading between Belgium (where he buys diamonds from) and North America (it's graded higher in Belgium) So, the diamond that we're interested is:
Round Brilliant
1.72 carats
Ideal cut
F colour
SI1 clarity
My boyfriend remembers it being AGI certified.
Is $14,000 Canadian a good price?
Is there more info I should get?
Thanks!
twirl.gif

alechope

Rough_Rock
I'm by no means an expert, but you definitely need to SEE the certificate, and get pretty much everything listed there -- all the information on the cut (depth %, table %, crown and pavilion angles), fluorescence, etc. If you get all that info, then you can both put it into the pricescope cut thing and post it here where the experts will be able to better size up the stone.

Somebody correct me if I'm off base here!
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly.
confused.gif

The jeweler said that grading is softer in Belgium? No way! Actually the HRD (antwerp's biggest lab) is stricter than GIA on high colors and very comparable on clarity, with a small difference between LC and IF. IGI antwerp does a good job too.
1.gif

If he meant EGL antwerp, yes they are softer than average. But EGL NY isn't that great too. So it does not make sense to me. Maybe he meant that we have different standards here in Europe?

Also, AIG???? Maybe your BF meant GIA? AIG is unknown and I'm not sure it would be a wise choice on such a major diamond.
1.gif

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It is all sales talk, the strictest of all is the g.i.a, I have tried all the others ,in most cases they have all been either the same/less on color and clarity.

find out the exact name and then compare on the net!!!
read.gif

magna2

Shiny_Rock
ryandrea,

Please do yourself and your boyfriend a favor - get a copy of the actual certification (and note the laboratory on the certificate). If the certficate does not state the crown, pavillion angles, be sure to ask the jeweler for it. Regardless whether it is E or F and VS2 or SI1, you still need to get a feel for the cut to determine if the price is good.

All other information supplied by the jeweler is chaff.

rodent.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results