carat
color
clarity

Is this a good paraiba?

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi PS,

Found this pariaba color tourmaline on ebay, from vendor named "sky-gems"....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-05-ct-NATURAL-AMAZING-NEON-BLUE-COPPER-BEARIN-PARAIBA-TOURMALINE-/272000567889??

What do you all think? Is this going to look good or not? My experience is pretty limited, I've just been researching here on PS and online for a couple weeks.

I was thinking from the photos, that it probably won't be as neon in real life, but maybe will have that glowy effect from the inclusions? Or are they too much?

And what do you think about the price?

Thanks!
Desertrose

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure how much you know about paraibas...this is a cuprian from mozambique..some will say that technically means its not a paraiba (i.e. not from Paraiba Brazil); however, the trade allows it to be called paraiba because its the same composition - copper bearing tourmaline or cuprian. Generally speaking, cuprians from Mozambique, while not common, are not as rare (or expensive) as those from Brazil. They can be found in larger sizes and many do not have the same saturation as those from Brazil (although there are beautiful exceptions..you see many on PS..but expect them to be priced accordingly in today's market). I don't know the vendor, am a horrible judge at pictures and find myself woefully out of touch with pricing nowadays...but I wouldn't rush on this one just to have a "paraiba"...there are nicer cuprians from Mozambique still out there on the market (but nice ones at good prices do get scooped quickly).

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks Lilmosun for the advice...I don't know a lot about paraibas, except that they are beautiful! I've been admiring Mochiko's ring and many others here on PS.

Is there any protocol here about not purchasing a stone someone is talking about buying? I guess there's no way to know, but I contacted the seller since my first posting to ask questions, and now the stone has been sold...

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm afraid there is no protocol about buying stones other people are talking about, there are plenty of visitors to the site (as you will see if you look down to the bottom of the page). Sometimes diamonds and stones and jewellery pieces do get snapped up! Usually folk just post a picture, or the stones stats etc

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm sorry it sold, Desertrose. I can't view eBay at work so unfortunately I don't click those links.

May I ask what you're looking for? What's your budget? I'm sure we could help you find another one. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To whoever bought it:
1. Verify that the inclusions do not affect the integrity of the stone
2. Verify that the tourmaline has not been enhanced with resin or oiled, which hides the inclusions better.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
When I select the eBay link you posted it looks to still be actively for sale. Is that an error? :confused:

S

SparkliesLuver

I just checked it on my phone, and it does look active. Their photography reminds me of GemsBank on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/GemsBank.. Not sure if there's a relation.

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks everyone!

I contacted the seller who told me it had been sold - not sure why the ebay page does not reflect that. The seller asked me to contact them via Whatsapp and they've sent me a lot of photos of cases of other paraiba color stones...I think they are based in Thailand. It's hard to tell from the pics the quality of what I am seeing. I also didn't find any reputation good or bad for this ebay seller (sky-gems) here on PS. On ebay a lot of their reviews appear to be from the same person, which seems a little fishy.

In terms of my goal - basically looking for a center stone and I don't have a size picked out yet. I've been collecting 14k rings from pawn shops that have a nice setting but a so-so stone, and my idea is to replace them...so there's a range of sizes that would work. I just want that color that jumps out at you, a really bright aqua, not a more muted greenish tone that is what I see often.

If anyone has ideas about who is reputable for paraiba color tourmalines maybe you could point me in the right direction?

In terms of what to look for in stones, I realize they aren't from Paraiba Brazil anymore, mostly from Mozambique etc. It seems like inclusions (if not too excessive) actually can increase the "glowy-ness" of the stone?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inclusions can increase the glow factor but the downside is that it reduces sparkle and too many inclusions can affect the integrity of the stone. I would not buy any that has surface reaching inclusions. Many such tourmalines are now resin filled or oiled without disclosure, so it is important to know how to care of it if it is clarity enhanced.

http://www.paraibainternational.com/products.php?category=3
Reputable vendor and the stones are generally better than it looks in the pictures and videos.

S

SparkliesLuver

I'd contact Adam with Paraiba International: [email protected]. He's a great guy. http://www.paraibainternational.com/products.php?category=3

Inclusions can definitely increase the "glow" of the stone, but you have to be careful that they aren't surface reaching (and thus don't affect the integrity of the stone). I was talking with Adam the other day and he mentioned the mines don’t appear to be opening for business any time soon. He said it could be at least 1-2 years before there’s activity, and possibly longer. So if you're genuinely interested in a paraiba, I'd highly recommend contacting him...or keeping an eye out for a second-hand one on LT or DB.

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you Chrono and Sparklieslover, you are so helpful!! What a great community here and amazingly fast responses.

I will contact Adam and see what he has, and keep an eye on the pre-owned items.

The good thing is, I'm not in a hurry, and smaller stones are fine for me (even down to 4.5mm). I've seen some tiny paraibas that still manage to steal all the attention! And I am on a very tight budget, so I'm looking for that "amazing deal".

The ebay seller sky-gems has messaged me that he can include a GIA certificate, that there is no resin or oil just normal heat. His photos do look a lot like the etsy seller that was mentioned earlier, who is also in Thailand.

Thanks again everyone and if you come across a little but lovely paraiba color tourmaline, let me know!

S

SparkliesLuver

You're welcome. :)

Keep us posted on your search. Usually if a "deal" comes along, it's sold almost instantly. So you have to be ready to jump on it! haha It's always fun to look, though.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1452776871|3975870 said:
To whoever bought it:
1. Verify that the inclusions do not affect the integrity of the stone
2. Verify that the tourmaline has not been enhanced with resin or oiled, which hides the inclusions better.
Is clarity enhancement a deal breaker for Paraiba/cuprian Tourmaline? I ask because I know of a nice Brazilian Paraiba that's been oiled. It's a nicely colored cabochon at about $700 ppc.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greg,
It can be a dealbreaker depending on several factors:

1. Is it disclosed? If so, is it priced appropriatedly?
2. How extensive is the treatment? It is very much like emerald when the level of enhancement matters. If you've seen moderately oiled stone cleaned up, the clarity is pretty scary to look at. It also means there are surface breaking inclusions.
3. What is it oiled with? Is the oil coloured? How stable is this oil? How often do you have to re-oil it?

A stone is typically cabbed rather than faceted due to it having a lot of inclusions to begin with, so if a cabochon is oiled, then it means it probably has a significant amount of inclusions, which is now made far less apparent due to the treatment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results