shape
carat
color
clarity

is this a good idealscope image?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ermen

Rough_Rock
hi, i just need some opinions on whether this is a good diamond based on this idealscope image? I''m not sure if you can even tell just by looking at the image alone but i think it''s alright - hopefully I am on the right track as I am thinking of buying it for my engagement). Sorry if i sound like a newbie (which I am!).

ermensmall.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I don''t see very much leakage so that is good.

It looks a little like the stone is tilted in the photo though, or something else is off not sure. Anyone else want to comment about this??

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Because it''s not the colors I''m used to seeing in an IS, I''m finding it a little hard to decipher. Do you have the numbers on the rock? It looks like the stone might be just a bit tilted in that pic. (I''m hoping it is). Won''t know if I don''t know the specs.

shay

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 3:49:53 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Well, I don''t see very much leakage so that is good.

It looks a little like the stone is tilted in the photo though, or something else is off not sure. Anyone else want to comment about this??
KC, teehee. I guess we were posting at the same time. I''m glad you see it too. I thought I might be seeing things for a sec.

shay

ermen

Rough_Rock
hey thanks for your replies and your expertise. I''ve included the stats below. It did score score a 0.5 on the HCA and I''m quite seriously considering this diamond (i didn''t get too many responses when i posted about it a few weeks ago)...

Specs are below.

Carat weight: 0.77
Color: D
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 60%
Table: 57%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.94*5.99*3.58

Crown Angle: 35.0°
Crown %: 15.00
Pavillion Angle: 40.4°
Pavillion %: 42.00

avlis

Shiny_Rock
As far as light leakage it looks good.

it look sto me that the stone is out-of-round. I see noticable flat spots on the edges. (of course when not veiwing magnified, i dont think this is a big issue). Also I would guess that the stone has a slightly painted girdle, a sarin or helium report would disprove or confirm this.

{edit} both of these are really minor, and could be from it being tilted. i am no expert.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Okay. Definitely tilted in the pic. No obvious areas of leakage. The reason it scored so low (.5) is because of the shallow pavillion angle. This may cause some head obfuscation, which might I repeat MIGHT cause it to look darker if you tend to hang over the ring as you admire it. If you hold your hand out so that your shadow doesn''t obscure, it shouldn''t have that problem. Garry Holloway (HCA) calls diamonds like these older people diamonds because of changing eyesight when you age, you don''t hold the diamond so close to view it. So keep this in mind before you purchase. Just make sure that you have a good return policy for any reason, and you should be okay. I think that these diamonds need to be seen to be evaluated rather than just written off. The crown angle is a good opposite for this one and it might be a really beautiful diamond. I would want to see it though. HTH

shay

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dont care for the angle combination much.
35 isnt high enough to counter the 40.4 pavilion and it can have issues up close.
On the plus side the symmetry looks good.

ermen

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 4:07:22 PM
Author: Shay37
Okay. Definitely tilted in the pic. No obvious areas of leakage. The reason it scored so low (.5) is because of the shallow pavillion angle. This may cause some head obfuscation, which might I repeat MIGHT cause it to look darker if you tend to hang over the ring as you admire it. If you hold your hand out so that your shadow doesn''t obscure, it shouldn''t have that problem. Garry Holloway (HCA) calls diamonds like these older people diamonds because of changing eyesight when you age, you don''t hold the diamond so close to view it. So keep this in mind before you purchase. Just make sure that you have a good return policy for any reason, and you should be okay. I think that these diamonds need to be seen to be evaluated rather than just written off. The crown angle is a good opposite for this one and it might be a really beautiful diamond. I would want to see it though. HTH

shay

Thanks all who have replied.

Shay so if I order it, what should I look out for when I receive it?

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
If held at a normal viewing distance for a ring, look for the body of the diamond to be dark. Sometimes stones with shallow pavillion angle are more recommended for pendants and earrings which will be observed from a distance and therefore not be dark.

shay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results