Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

is this a good diamond?

jeffreypag

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 20, 2016
Messages
9
Hey everyone!

I apologize if this is the wrong section, this is my first posting on here :). So I'm close to proposing to my gf :D! My budget is around 12k for both the diamond and the setting. What should i look for for that price range? im thinking maybe 2500-3500 for the setting and 8000-9000 for the diamond.

I found a diamond with the following characteristics, it is GIA and GCAL certified:

Price: $7446
1.1 Carat Princess
Signature Ideal Cut from Blue Nile
Color: F
Clarity: VVS2
Depth: 69.8%
Table: 70.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very good
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Slightly Thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None

image2_12.jpg

image1_21.jpg

i probably wont buying this exact diamond, just wanted to see what my options were and if something like this would be good money spent! thank you!
 

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 24, 2015
Messages
311
Hi - I'm in the trade so I can't comment on a stone you're looking to purchase, but is there any reason in particular you're keen on getting such a high clarity? There certainly isn't anything wrong with wanted the best, but if you're interested in a bit more size, you could drop down a grade or two on both colour and clarity and still get a pretty schmick stone. A nice VS2 is still pretty much guaranteed to be eye clean, and a G/H is going to face up nice and white.
Good luck with the upcoming proposal :)
 

jeffreypag

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 20, 2016
Messages
9
ADN|1453374489|3979000 said:
Hi - I'm in the trade so I can't comment on a stone you're looking to purchase, but is there any reason in particular you're keen on getting such a high clarity? There certainly isn't anything wrong with wanted the best, but if you're interested in a bit more size, you could drop down a grade or two on both colour and clarity and still get a pretty schmick stone. A nice VS2 is still pretty much guaranteed to be eye clean, and a G/H is going to face up nice and white.
Good luck with the upcoming proposal :)
Hi! Thanks for your reply! Well I just figured that i should get the best that I can afford. You think it's worth shelling out the extra money for an f color and vvs2 say over a g and maybe a vs1/vs2?
 

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 24, 2015
Messages
311
jeffreypag|1453388226|3979062 said:
ADN|1453374489|3979000 said:
Hi - I'm in the trade so I can't comment on a stone you're looking to purchase, but is there any reason in particular you're keen on getting such a high clarity? There certainly isn't anything wrong with wanted the best, but if you're interested in a bit more size, you could drop down a grade or two on both colour and clarity and still get a pretty schmick stone. A nice VS2 is still pretty much guaranteed to be eye clean, and a G/H is going to face up nice and white.
Good luck with the upcoming proposal :)
Hi! Thanks for your reply! Well I just figured that i should get the best that I can afford. You think it's worth shelling out the extra money for an f color and vvs2 say over a g and maybe a vs1/vs2?
Hey mate - Only you can decide that - - in my experience, when people are shopping for stones F+VS1+ they're often just paying more money for a difference that they aren't really able to notice anyway...however, there are lots of people who are more than happy to pay for the knowledge that they're getting as close to colourless/flawless as they can...that's why diamond grades go so much higher than F VS1... ;-)
Hope this helps
 

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 10, 2013
Messages
415
jeffreypag said:
Hi! Thanks for your reply! Well I just figured that i should get the best that I can afford. You think it's worth shelling out the extra money for an f color and vvs2 say over a g and maybe a vs1/vs2?
It depends how you define "best". If high color (like an F) and clarity are important to you or your gf, then that's the best for you. But if you're trying to maximize size and want something eye clean and that faces up white, then you can relax those parameters a bit, say to a G and VS. Are you only interested in princess cuts?
 

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 25, 2010
Messages
2,534
I'd personally drop down to G/eye-clean SI1 (this is what I have) and get a larger stone. You can't see tint or any inclusions in my diamond, so I went as big as my budget allowed for an ideal cut diamond.
 

jeffreypag

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 20, 2016
Messages
9
ADN|1453391353|3979095 said:
jeffreypag|1453388226|3979062 said:
ADN|1453374489|3979000 said:
Hi - I'm in the trade so I can't comment on a stone you're looking to purchase, but is there any reason in particular you're keen on getting such a high clarity? There certainly isn't anything wrong with wanted the best, but if you're interested in a bit more size, you could drop down a grade or two on both colour and clarity and still get a pretty schmick stone. A nice VS2 is still pretty much guaranteed to be eye clean, and a G/H is going to face up nice and white.
Good luck with the upcoming proposal :)
Hi! Thanks for your reply! Well I just figured that i should get the best that I can afford. You think it's worth shelling out the extra money for an f color and vvs2 say over a g and maybe a vs1/vs2?
Hey mate - Only you can decide that - - in my experience, when people are shopping for stones F+VS1+ they're often just paying more money for a difference that they aren't really able to notice anyway...however, there are lots of people who are more than happy to pay for the knowledge that they're getting as close to colourless/flawless as they can...that's why diamond grades go so much higher than F VS1... ;-)
Hope this helps
Thanks for the advice! very true. I really have to actually go there with her and let her look at some vs2/1 vs a vvs2 and see what she likes. Im thinking maybe vs2 at the minimum. and for color, maybe down to a G. I personally would prefer her to have as colorless as possible, and eye clean as you say. I found another diamond, VS1 G color with very similiar specs for about ~1000 more, but 1.24 carat vs a 1.1.
 

jeffreypag

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 20, 2016
Messages
9
VirginiaZee|1453392199|3979100 said:
jeffreypag said:
Hi! Thanks for your reply! Well I just figured that i should get the best that I can afford. You think it's worth shelling out the extra money for an f color and vvs2 say over a g and maybe a vs1/vs2?
It depends how you define "best". If high color (like an F) and clarity are important to you or your gf, then that's the best for you. But if you're trying to maximize size and want something eye clean and that faces up white, then you can relax those parameters a bit, say to a G and VS. Are you only interested in princess cuts?
Well for me, I think I would want to get as colorless as possible, maybe f or g. thats still eye clean. If i can go bigger and maybe go down from an F to a G, and VVS2 to VS1/2. I found a very similiar diamond for $8200 vs 7400 more. Sams specs but is 1.24 carat G VS1 vs 1.11 Carat F VVS2. is that worth it? My budget is 9k for the diamond so I guess i wanna get my best bang for the buck.
 

jeffreypag

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 20, 2016
Messages
9
HappyNewLife|1453393365|3979115 said:
I'd personally drop down to G/eye-clean SI1 (this is what I have) and get a larger stone. You can't see tint or any inclusions in my diamond, so I went as big as my budget allowed for an ideal cut diamond.
Well 8K is my budget for the diamond. Best bang for the buck i guess. Found a similiar diamond for $8200 1.24 Carat G VS1
 

jeffreypag

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 20, 2016
Messages
9
jeffreypag|1453433798|3979503 said:
VirginiaZee|1453392199|3979100 said:
jeffreypag said:
Hi! Thanks for your reply! Well I just figured that i should get the best that I can afford. You think it's worth shelling out the extra money for an f color and vvs2 say over a g and maybe a vs1/vs2?
It depends how you define "best". If high color (like an F) and clarity are important to you or your gf, then that's the best for you. But if you're trying to maximize size and want something eye clean and that faces up white, then you can relax those parameters a bit, say to a G and VS. Are you only interested in princess cuts?
Well for me, I think I would want to get as colorless as possible, maybe f or g. thats still eye clean. If i can go bigger and maybe go down from an F to a G, and VVS2 to VS1/2. I found a very similiar diamond for $8200 vs 7400 more. Sams specs but is 1.24 carat G VS1 vs 1.11 Carat F VVS2. is that worth it? My budget is 9k for the diamond so I guess i wanna get my best bang for the buck.

She wants a square diamond with a Halo setting She as knowledgeable as me when it comes to diamonds (very little), so we plan on going together to look at some examples so I can get an idea of what she likes.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    November’s Jewels Of The Weeks
    November’s Jewels Of The Weeks
    Upgrade to Five-Stone
    Upgrade to Five-Stone
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top