shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good diamond?? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jonnie

Rough_Rock
I went to a jeweler who my bother bought his engagement ring from, because he was very happy, and he showed me several different stones. I know nothing about diamonds but want to make sure I am buying a quality diamond, how would you rate the following, and what price would you guess is fair:

GIA certified
Round Diamond
Color: E
Carat: 1.25
Depth: 59.3%
Table: 58%
Flourescence: Medium Blue
Girdle: Ext thin to medium, faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Godd
Symmetry: Very Good
Clarity: SI1

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi jonnie and welcome!!!!!!

Your stone has an ext thin to med girdle, and this isn't a good thing. An ext thin girdle can be dangerous during the setting process and there is a chipping risk. Try to find out if the girdle is so thin in just a little place or if it's quite thin all around.
Otherwise, the cut looks good. BUT, you have to ask for a Sarin or OGI report, which will tell you all the proportions that aren't listed on the cert.
1.gif

Best of Luck!

Jonnie

Rough_Rock
thanks for the note, I appreciate it. would that be considered and ideal or premium cut, what would it be classified at? Also, he offered it to me for $6500, is that ok?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
The price is VERY GOOD, and especially if you're buying locally.
Unfortunately, without knowing more cut details, I can't give you an opinion on the cut. But it can't be a true ideal. It should have Ex/Ex finish. That doesn't mean it could be a very nice stone. Did it look good to you?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Ooooooooooooooops! Double post!
eek.gif

Jonnie

Rough_Rock
Well, it looked great to me, but I am not very experienced when it comes to diamonds, but he put it against and 1.58 carat H color that was a premium cut (said on the certificate) and the color looked so much better because it was an E, but the size was smaller. The H he offered me at $7600. I know most women look for a bigger rock, but I prefer quality, so it is confusing. They both were SI1.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
If the cert said premium cut, then it's an EGL Israel!! Aaaaaaah! Be extremely careful , as it may very easily be an I-I 1! They're very aggressive on their grading. Stick with GIA, AGS, HRD or even IGI Antwerp for maximum accurancy.
1.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jonnie,

Why don't you make the sale contingent on an independent appraisal? If you don't go all-out and just get the cut, color and clarity critiqued it shouldn't run more than $75.00 (even in LA, using one of the recommended appraisers on Pricescope). That is, if you really like the stone...
10.gif

gman246

Rough_Rock
Hey-

I agree, the ex. thin girdle could be dangerous via chipping & during setting process.

The price is very good. See my post about the E-SI1 I just bought (gman246) for the Rapp price...basically, looks like you are getting a 20% discount. From what I understand, dealers get between 30-40% discount depending on the stone, their suppliers, etc... Some resell at 15% discount, a better price is 20%, and very difficult to get is 25-30%. So you got a very nice price....although you could push for 25% after you mention your dissatisfaction w/ the girdle and the medium fluorescence (most people prefer 'none' these days, but medium may be favorable to some folks as well, it's subjective).

Good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results