shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bluescharm

Rough_Rock
Hi you guys-
I've been reading your site extensively, and all of a sudden, a seemingly really good deal dropped in my lap. I was looking for a well cut emerald cut diamond, which I know is hard to find. Some guy was selling an engagement ring he never used on ebay but it didn't fetch his asking price($4000), so I talked him down to $3000. That's $3000 TOTAL, not per carat. Look, I know you've heard ebay horror stories, and I've seen one play out before me (saw a diamond and thought, that is an IMPOSSIBLE deal, and it was- they were all ripped off). However, this seller seems for real, and he has over 500 positive feeback (although he's not a diamond seller- he sells and buys mostly nostalgia stuff...Seems like an ordinary guy who honestly didn't get married) Here are the specs:

Certification: GIA
Cut: Emerald
Carat: 1.53
Dimensions: 7.62X5.85X3.61 (approx 1.30:1 ratio)
Color: H
Clarity: VS2 (the clarity diagram shows small inclusions to the side, something I think won't be worrysome when set)
Depth: 61.7%
Table: 62%
Girdle: Very Thin to Thin
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good

Now, here's what I know. According to AGL, this is an IDEAL cut (with depth and table), although the very thin to thin girdle isn't ideal. Also, it's not good to not have the crown and pavillion angles, but that's not on the GIA cert. I also know that 1.3:1 is a little square, but that's the ratio I was looking for- I like them a little fatter.

Given all of this, I think it is a fantastic buy. What is your opinion?
:wink2:

jetcaptain

Rough_Rock
Since you admit to witnessing rip-offs on ebay, you obviously know that it's possible. Are you willing to gamble $3,000 away thinking that it can't happen to you? Con artists are only successful because they are able to convince their victims that they are legitimate. Perhaps this deal is totally above board. In that case, the seller should not object to a third-party trustee becoming involved in the transaction. Perhaps that could be an appraiser that YOU have confidence in. Make certain that it's YOUR choice, and not his cousin that is party to the scam. Good luck! One more thought. Look at the price stats on pricescope and determine what this diamond should sell for. Then ask yourself--why is this guy trying to sell this diamond (if it really even exists) so cheap on ebay when he could advertise it in the newspaper, or sell/consign it at a local jewelry store, and perhaps get a lot more money out of the deal? Unfortunately, most deals that sound too good to be true, are too good to be true. You may have stumbled across an exception, but extreme caution seems to be in order here.

student

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like good advice to me, Jetcaptain. If the price is good, then worth a try, but proceed with caution.

bluescharm

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone-

Thank you for the reply, and I completely agree with you. He is completely willing to send it to an appraiser that I choose, and to use escrow, which will allow me to defer payment until I accept the ring. That risk aside, do we think this IS a great deal? I'm just trying to make sure that I'm not forgetting something, or there's something I haven't learned. Anyway, thanks for everything!

jetcaptain

Rough_Rock
If you have looked at the price stats on pricescope, you already know that this price is ridiculously low. Perhaps this person is just trying to cut their losses and move on. Maybe you'll get a great deal! If you decide to proceed, again I urge caution. As far as the stone is concerned, I think that an emerald cut is a very elegant looking diamond. Personally I prefer the length-to-width ratio to be a little higher, but that is strictly personal preference. From what I have read, compromises in color and/or clarity are more noticable in emerald cuts than in the brilliant cuts. My suggestion is to work this deal such that your third-party is a local appraiser, so that you can see this diamond personally (and hopefully compare it to other similar diamonds) before turning loose of your money. That way you can check to make sure you're okay with how it looks, while your appraiser checks to make sure it's really a diamond, matches the certification, is not laser enhanced, etc. Maybe you should check your local yellow pages and call some appraisers in your area. They have probably handled deals like this in the past, and would be better able to advise you on how you should proceed. As an additional stray thought, maybe you could get the seller to pay for the appraisal, or at least half of it, if you decide to reject the diamond. If the diamond is as good as he claims, that doesn't seem to be an unreasonable expectation on your part. It demonstrates good faith on the part of the seller. In return, if you keep the diamond, you should pay for the complete appraisal yourself. You will have gotten a great deal, and an appraisal is something you'll need for insurance purposes anyway.

golfer

Shiny_Rock
If you have the guy's name, etc., the odds that he is going to give up his life (i.e. defraud you and run from the police) over $3000 is low. Yes its worth the money to use escrow, probably, but it sounds like you are getting a fantastic deal.

bluescharm

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I really appreciate your replies, and I completely understand the risk in buying from an ebay seller. I suppose I should rephrase my question a little then-- given the information I know from the GIA certificate, what are the chances it's actually a really BAD diamond? For example, if the depth and table are in ideal characteristics, and everything looks pretty good, what are the chances the crown and pavillion percentages are TERRIBLE? I suppose there is no way to know, but this diamond seems ideal, and I don't want to get a standard one because I didn't have enough info. If the rest of the specs look good, is it reasonable to assume it's overall a pretty good diamond?

Thanks everyone~
Natasha

jetcaptain

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 12/9/2002 11:07:34 AM

Hi everyone,

I really appreciate your replies, and I completely understand the risk in buying from an ebay seller. I suppose I should rephrase my question a little then-- given the information I know from the GIA certificate, what are the chances it's actually a really BAD diamond? For example, if the depth and table are in ideal characteristics, and everything looks pretty good, what are the chances the crown and pavillion percentages are TERRIBLE? I suppose there is no way to know, but this diamond seems ideal, and I don't want to get a standard one because I didn't have enough info. If the rest of the specs look good, is it reasonable to assume it's overall a pretty good diamond?

Thanks everyone~
Natasha
----------------

No, it is not reasonable to assume that it's a pretty good diamond based on the information on the GIA cert. I learned this lesson the hard way when I bought a diamond from a vendor who advertises on this forum. Sometimes what seems to be a bargain really isn't. I strongly urge you to enlist some professional help if you're going to pursue this diamond, and by all means check it out in person before letting go of your money! Don't let a temptingly low price cloud your judgment. I was able to get my money back (less shipping) when my "bargain" didn't turn out to be all I had hoped. Will you be able to get your money back too? If you cannot confidently answer yes to this question, then I think you should walk away (no, run away) from this deal.

bluescharm

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your help jetcaptain. You definitely answered my question, (although aren't making it easy on me!!)

Would you mind explaining a little more what happened with your diamond? The GIA grading was good, but the diamond just didn't sparkle, or the crown/pavillion angles weren't good at all? Just curious...

Thanks a bunch!
Natasha

jetcaptain

Rough_Rock
The diamond I purchased and returned appeared to be recut, and poorly recut at that! Perhaps this stone was a larger marquise that an end had broken off??? And no, as you might well imagine, it had very little sparkle or brilliance. In fact, it appeared dark, which may account for why the GIA color grade seemed several levels too high. And then there was the indented natural, which was visible to the naked eye up on the crown. Although the vendor that sold me this diamond guarantees that "...you will never receive a diamond that we would be ashamed of," I would have been ashamed for my wife to wear this diamond on her finger. Maybe my standards are too high, or maybe their standards are too low. This diamond was not a bargain at any price as far as I'm concerned, but I guess there might be a customer out there that would disagree. Anyway, this vendor has received many positive testimonials from others on this forum, so I would like to think that my unfortunate experience was simply an isolated event. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. They promptly returned my money, but this lesson cost me shipping charges. It probably cost the vendor even more, since I purchased with a credit card and they refunded with a check (the bank likely charged them 2% or so). Does this give you a better idea why a GIA cert doesn't tell you all you need to know?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hiya Natasha. If the cut is "good" or better, then the stone is a terrific deal. Probably 2 to 3 thousand less than what you could buy it for over the InterNet, and even a greater difference over what you would pay at the average jewelry store.

If the fellow is willing to safeguard you with escrow, and sending to independent appraiser, etc, I would say check it out. The biggest problem you have (other than the cut being "screwy") is if the stone doesn't match the cert. As long as you have recourse that prevents you from losing your money, then I don't see how you could get hurt.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

bluescharm

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to say thank you thank you thank you for this forum- it's unbelievable. I got the diamond discussed above and it is stunning~everything checks out according to the independent appraiser, and it really was a great buy!!!

So now you have someone who had a GREAT ebay experience!!

Best,
Natasha:appl:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results