Is this a good cut, proportions are good but HCA score 5.9 scares me

Reddy03

Rough_Rock

Attachments

• GIA (30).pdf
    1 MB · Views: 6

jewels4life

Shiny_Rock

It got a hCA score of 5.9, but proportions n video looks good..

try to find a descent 1c under $6K, >I color .
thanks for ur help/suggestions

Hi, are you set on blue Nile? I found this beautiful stone at white flash . It’s a tad smaller than the one you picked, you won’t really notice though. They are known for their cut above stones . They are stunning! You can’t go wrong with one of them. Hope this helps :)

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it looks like OP is looking at CAD $ so I think we're closer to $4700 U.S. and would have to deal with import fees.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortinately that is not a well cut stone. I assume BN makes things easier since they include import taxes/fees, right?

I would make sure to only consider stones that score under or at 2 on the HCA and have the following proportions:

Depth: 60.5-62.4
Table: 54-58
Pav angle: 40.6-40.8 (up to 41 if pav angle is 34)
Crown angle: 34-35 (35.5 if pav is 40.6)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be perfectly honest, I dont see any options in your size /color/clarity requirements on BN that are in budget. If I were you, I might consider getting something smaller but ideal cut (and maybe upgrade to a larger size later if you want to). The other option would be to contact Martin Sheffield (sponsored vendor here) and tell him you want an ideal cut stone above I color, etc, and your budget. I believe he's in Canada.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That stone has been kicking around inside diamond dealers safes for nearly 2 years.
I wonder why?
You can do a whole lot better listening to these folk.
The price was attractive for a reason.
Martin is good, but the stones he offers are not in Canada. BN is good, WF is good.
But you are trying to get a near carat without the +0.999 premium.

Reddy03

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for all comments.
My budget is $6000 USD/$7500 CAD after taxes, to be used with a 18K Yellow gold pendant (which for some reason only BlueNile has?)

Obviously prefer without cross border shipping to avoid any hassles with returns but im afraid my choices are limited online.
Just came to know abt BN, JamesAllen, Adiamor in the past few days and trying to understand all the diamond specs ..still no clue who is better online retailer interms of value of $ n shipping.

But great site, lots of good info here..

Reddy03

Rough_Rock
That stone has been kicking around inside diamond dealers safes for nearly 2 years.
I wonder why?
You can do a whole lot better listening to these folk.
The price was attractive for a reason.
Martin is good, but the stones he offers are not in Canada. BN is good, WF is good.
But you are trying to get a near carat without the +0.999 premium.

Nice observation on certificate date, will remember next time..

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a pendant I wouldn't worry as much about color. I think I or above will work fine. Also, I didnt realize you had 6k USD. I was only looking for stones that were 6k CAN, so it's good that your budget is higher than we expected. The one you linked above is 8k CAN. Is that within budget?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
this is just above my budget but its a D but has strong blue fluorescence.. https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD16487229
How detrimental is Strong blue fluorosence?

Im trying to get the best color ideal cut diamond i can get, am i approaching this incorrectly?

A good rule of thumb is to avoid flourescence above faint.

Start with F VS2 and make adjustments from there.

Here are the super ideal specs that Whiteflash uses for their ACA requirements.
Stick with these measurements while on your hunt and you'll surely land a winner.

Screenshot_20210716-235905.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I dont think it's quite accurate that folks should avoid fluor. But being cautious (or avoiding) v strong fluor in D-F is something I think is valid. The chance of med fluor being an issue appears quite low.

I agree, and GIA conducted a study and published results a while back highlighting that it isn't much of an issue for most people.

Impossible to tell how it will affect anyone, so I usually err on the side of caution when making recommendations.

There's no denying the cost saving of a medium to very strong flourescence diamond, though!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks very much. Certificate says clouds are not shown, is it a risk of hazyness?

Not necessarily, but be sure to ask and verify.

Usually when it is stated like that on the report, they are so minor that they aren't worth using up ink for the plot map.

When a report states "clarity based on clouds not shown" is when you hit the back button and keep searching.

Reddy03

Rough_Rock
Thanks again @DejaWiz for your time, feedback n education..

i think i gave up on Blue Nile now, Adiamor also has two prong 18k yellow gold pendants and looks like they have some descent collections for my budget

i have narrowed to these now, all are excellent cuts r above

1) Perfect measurements? 1 VS2

2) Strong Blue fluorosence but Affinity cut?, I , vs1

3) I, VS1 pavilion is off by .4°

4) F but SI1 n looks like clean like the one from Blueline above u suggested but cheaper by $700CAD

apologies for so many links and thanks again the help. I just want to get over it this weekend, loosing sleep over finding the right one

Wish i could write these off as business exp, then defn could have afforded more, may be double haha

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again @DejaWiz for your time, feedback n education..

i think i gave up on Blue Nile now, Adiamor also has two prong 18k yellow gold pendants and looks like they have some descent collections for my budget

i have narrowed to these now, all are excellent cuts r above

1) Perfect measurements? 1 VS2

2) Strong Blue fluorosence but Affinity cut?, I , vs1

3) I, VS1 pavilion is off by .4°

4) F but SI1 n looks like clean like the one from Blueline above u suggested but cheaper by $700CAD

apologies for so many links and thanks again the help. I just want to get over it this weekend, loosing sleep over finding the right one

Wish i could write these off as business exp, then defn could have afforded more, may be double haha

#1 seems like the safest choice out of those, to me.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree, and GIA conducted a study and published results a while back highlighting that it isn't much of an issue for most people.

Impossible to tell how it will affect anyone, so I usually err on the side of caution when making recommendations.

There's no denying the cost saving of a medium to very strong flourescence diamond, though!

Faint only fluor is over kill for caution IMO, medium is more than safe and avoiding strong+ particularly in colourless range is erring on side of caution

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Faint only fluor is over kill for caution IMO, medium is more than safe and avoiding strong+ particularly in colourless range is erring on side of caution

Noted.

Reddy03

Rough_Rock
Damn, it looks like #1 was grabbed by someone else before i could pay, i wanted to pull the plug but u snooze u loose i guess, esp once i post the link on a site..its get much more attention...lesson learnt

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Damn, it looks like #1 was grabbed by someone else before i could pay, i wanted to pull the plug but u snooze u loose i guess, esp once i post the link on a site..its get much more attention...lesson learnt

put a hold on your top picks - it happens here all the time!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results