shape
carat
color
clarity

is this a fisheye diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
hello! i purchased a 2.51 G SI2 RB diamond that has a 66% table and 59.1% depth. From what i''ve read on these forums, it sounds like i have an extremely large table, but i don''t see the "fisheye" that everybody says should be seen in a shallow diamond. Is the fisheye something i should see without the loupe??

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is a large table!

As for a fisheye, no you don''t need a loupe to see it. Read this PS Tutorial, it has some example pics too.

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
thanks! I love my stone, but i was afraid that i wasn''t seeing something that other people may notice about my diamond.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
All that matters is that you love it!
1.gif

Now, since this is the "Show Me the Ring" forum, how about pics of this huge stone??
3.gif
We LOVE LOVE LOVE pics!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would love to see some pics of your stone!!
1.gif

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
i''ll try to take some good pics...my camera doesnt focus too good. this is my first time posting messages on the forum...i didnt realize i was in the "show me the ring forum" heeheehee

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your stone may or may not be a fisheye, I actually found it kind of hard to see fisheye in stones, maybe I was not looking correctly, who knows!!

Do you have more information on the stone like angles? Your table surely is large, but with the ring angles it could be a very nice Brilliant Ideal Cut...depending! If you want more information, please post the angles from a Sarin or so...

But yes pictures are in order!! Yum!

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
this is all the info. that i have on my diamond...
table...66%
crown height...13%
crown angle...>35 degrees
girdle...very thin to medium
pavillion...45%
depth...59.1%
culet...small

i will try take pics tomorrow with a better camera!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you tell us more about the diamond, aka was it an engagement stone or did you get it recently yourself or ? Did it speak to you, aka did you find it very beautiful?

I''m always curious when people find PS *after* a big purchase like this...what made you think you might have a fish-eye.

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
Its an engagement ring that my husband and i picked out last month. The color and brightness of my stone really caught my eye. Its a G color with medium blue flourescence. The appraisal on it says its an SI2 but when i look at it with the loupe, it almost looks flawless! I'm assuming its the where my inclusion is located?? Anyway, i truely don't see a ring or anything that resembles a circle thru the table. According to the cut advisory scale my diamond scores a fair for both fire and scintilation. I figured it wouldnt score high due to the spread, but it looks very sparkly and bright to me!

Let me correct myself on the scoring of my diamond...it read poor for fire and scintilation and considered a fair cut.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Pictures, Sarah, we need pictures!!!!

You can''t just prance out here, casually mentioning your beautiful 2.5 carat diamond and not post photos! It could possibly kill some of us!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
hahahaha...i will post some tomorrow with a better camera, unfortuneatly my camera sucks!! It takes blurry pics when i zoom in. I tried to take some earlier but it just wouldnt focus!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2006 9:07:51 PM
Author: sarah1976
hahahaha...i will post some tomorrow with a better camera, unfortuneatly my camera sucks!! It takes blurry pics when i zoom in. I tried to take some earlier but it just wouldnt focus!
Do you have a macro setting on the camera? If so, try that.
1.gif

I agree with Lynn, we NEED these pics!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not that I am an expert on taking pics, haha. Take them in the macro mode, (it has a flower ) turn off the flash and hold still while taking the pics. HTH.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The HCA scoring is on a scale of 1-10. Most of the diamonds here on PS that people end up picking out score under 2.0...just as a comparison for you. I definitely want to see pictures!

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
ok, i''ll try that and see if it helps.

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
I have a question...my appraisal says that my crown angle is at >35 degrees, does that mean that it is at a 35 degree angle?? The symbol before it is throwing me off. And as far as your comment on the grading, is that a good thing or bad thing?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
honestly, i haven't seen your stone so i can't say what it looks like, but i will say that the HCA gives this diamond a score of 7 out of 10...I have never seen anything on here over about 5 personally...the specs that you posted are definitely not the best. the greater than symbol means that your crown angle means it's over 35 degrees which is a notation that is required on the GIA report if it's over 35 or under 30, good or bad it's neither by itself but combined with other numbers is related to cut quality.

BUT beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I just don't know if you knew any of this before you bought the diamond or just bought with your eyes and using nothing else. also I wasn't sure if you were looking for more information like this or if you just wanted to hear it was a great stone!!
2.gif

I find stones like this intriguing because I used to have a shallow spready stone and I felt it was really lacking something...I've since gotten a more ideal looking stone (or two or three) and am much happier...so I'd love to see your pictures!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2006 9:44:39 PM
I have a question...my appraisal says that my crown angle is at >35 degrees, does that mean that it is at a 35 degree angle?? The symbol before it is throwing me off. And as far as your comment on the grading, is that a good thing or bad thing?

That symbol means that the stone has a crown angle greater than 35 degrees.

I think it''s excellent that you have found a stone that really speaks to you. Your eyes are the most important "grading" tool. I''m wondering, though, whether you''re asking these questions about your stone now because something about it is bothering you or whether you''re just concerned that it is not considered an "ideal" cut. If it''s the former, perhaps it would be important to determine what about the stone isn''t working for you. If it''s the latter, forget about the numbers and the grades and just ENJOY it!!!!! Hope this helps!

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
we knew we werent buying an ideal cut stone, and i personally love my diamond! My main concern was the whole fisheye deal that i''ve been reading about with shallow stones. I just wanted to be sure that we didnt miss anything as far as that is concerned. I wasnt for sure if the fisheye was something that you see with the naked eye or not. I dont see anything in my diamond that looks like the picutres on the website referred to me earlier. So i''m assuming that the all fisheye diamonds would have that grey ring in the center of the stone?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you don''t see a dark ring in the middle of your diamond then it sounds like it is not a fish-eye so you probably have nothing to worry about.... but if you wanted to have a professional look at it, take it to an independent appraiser and ask them what they think re: the fish-eye. good luck!

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
i''m looking straight down at my ring without a loupe and i don''t see a dark ring or anything dark at all. i guess its not a fisheye diamond! i will take pics tomorrow and post them so u guys can get an idea of what my diamond look like.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2006 10:22:32 PM

i''m looking straight down at my ring without a loupe and i don''t see a dark ring or anything dark at all.

The stone is not shallow at all - I wouldn''t have thought it might be ''fish eye'' (that happens if the pavilion angle is quite shallow and you get to see a reflection of the girdle in it).

Adding up the numbers, it sounds like the crown angle is quite a bit over 35 degrees (over 37) and the girdle is really ''knife edge'' in the thinner ''valley'' parts. It isn''t rare though that these numbers do not add up too well, so that''s a pretty wild guess. And this is very much the only thing I''d worry about - leaving any other detail a matter of choice, this one may be better served by a bezel setting - or at least a low one, to prevent chips.

I am not surprised the diamond doesn''t look dark at all - it shouldn''t because with the stats given there are no reflector facets (no pattern like the arrows in H&A). Where the ''ideal'' proportions may improve is in making such a diamond brighter in less intense light and more fiery. But this doesn''t mean everyone must love those a lot more - you may or may not, impossible to tell without seeing some. Without having seen your stone (and pictures may not help allot with this either... although can''t wait to see them regardless!

2.gif
) - I don''t think it is clear how much room for improvement might ever be there. With the same ''stats'' so to speak - there is room for scary stuff and a few cute looks nearly tops on the ''brilliance'' scale. That lousy "Cut Advisor" score cannot capture this because measurements cannot - so it would be only a little optimistic to say that this little tool underestimates the quality of your stone (and all others like it). And this is why it is supposed to be a ''rejection tool'' - as they say, meaning false negative results are not ruled out. Oh well... I hope your stone is such an example where the hCA fails to predict.

My 2c... This much for the Ideal and scoring part.

You have the stone in hand and know allot more about it (i.e. how it looks) than those numbers can tell online. I am quite sure the pictures would be lovely too - large diamonds tend to be very photogenic!
9.gif

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
here is one shot of my diamond...this is the clearest shot i can take with my camera.
7.gif

ring 013.jpg

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
here is another shot...

ring014.JPG

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
You have a lovely wedding set sarah!!

Heather

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2006 7:05:44 PM
Author: hlmr

You have a lovely wedding set sarah!!
Yes... and nice eternity band too! What are the details about it? It works great with the ring.
1.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Sarah, it is gorgeous!!!
30.gif

No worries, you have a stunning stone!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
great hand shots sarah, your diamond surely is large and white!! i like the set paired together!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results