shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a fair price?

Ray312

Rough_Rock
Here is the 3.5 and it was the largest stone on the bottom of my prior photo that had the 4 diamonds....

1590336159775.png

Reactions: AV_

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again, no I appreciate all these comments and its been helpful to flesh it out. I'd like to remain with the jeweler because of their style though this conversation has helped make sure I don't just jump on any diamond. Interesting comments about the HCA score, there was another one I was considering but it was an even worse color (K) and 3.5 carats. The HCA score was like a 1.3 though just figured this group would never be OK having me press forward with a K at this size. Should I more heavily consider the HCA score?

The HCA score is just meant to be a screening tool for potential red flags with cuts. Anything over 2 likely won’t have an ideal appearance. After the HCA score, you need to factor in color and clarity as they aren’t even considered with the HCA.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The HCA score is just meant to be a screening tool for potential red flags with cuts. Anything over 2 likely won’t have an ideal appearance. After the HCA score, you need to factor in color and clarity as they aren’t even considered with the HCA.

This. With anything below I color you NEED to make sure your intended has seen J/K color and is totally fine with it, ESPECIALLY in such large stones. You need to have an honest conversation wiht her about whether she'd prefer bigger size and lower color, or smaller size and a colorless stone.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again, no I appreciate all these comments and its been helpful to flesh it out. I'd like to remain with the jeweler because of their style though this conversation has helped make sure I don't just jump on any diamond. Interesting comments about the HCA score, there was another one I was considering but it was an even worse color (K) and 3.5 carats. The HCA score was like a 1.3 though just figured this group would never be OK having me press forward with a K at this size. Should I more heavily consider the HCA score?

I have a K and love it, but I truly think they need to be viewed in person.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock

I would not go for a K when you don’t know if she prefers warmer stones. It will be large on her hand and could be noticeable. Lowest I go for hand is J because I need at least a 10 mm stone and can’t risk it looking yellow.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
I would not go for a K when you don’t know if she prefers warmer stones. It will be large on her hand and could be noticeable. Lowest I go for hand is J because I need at least a 10 mm stone and can’t risk it looking yellow.

Lowest is I for hand and J for ears. Sorry

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Oddly, the Ks I've seen posted on PS often face up whiter than the Js! Perhaps they are more curated and all ideal cut...

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Oddly, the Ks I've seen posted on PS often face up whiter than the Js! Perhaps they are more curated and all ideal cut...

I actually love a beautiful excellent cut J, but I agree with you. Those Ks that I’m thinking of in my mind are CBIs and probably even ACAs.

theshirlgirlNS

Rough_Rock
As someone who recently purchased a stone very similar (3.24 J IF), I can't emphasize enough how happy I was to go with an WF ACA diamond. I previously had a BlueNile well-cut diamond (1.83 I VS2), that was a 1.3 on HCA and had all the right angles on paper. There is no comparison with the WF stone. I'm in awe every time I look at it.

If you're buying unseen, my experience shows that a super ideal is a much safer bet. I will only go this route in the future - but that's just me. FYI - my J in the larger size is very white - whiter than my I was. No regrets on going with a J colored stone in that size.

Good Luck!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Calling in a H&A K to play with may help - eg. www It would be nice to compare with other color grades, of course & it may well be fun too [an afternoon worth of walking two smaller H&A diamonds in every light].

Never mind videos for diamond color - even technically precise comparisons in grading conditions do not give the impression stones do IRL.

Ray312

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Thanks again for all your help. I ended up passing on the prior one after your recommendations. Any thoughts on the below? I've also attached the report.

3.02 ct round brilliant
color: I
clarity: SI1
cut|polish|symmetry: excellent
Fluorescence: None

Other: No visible inclusion (I am told; the imperfections are mainly twinning wisps which are somewhat transparent)

Price quoted: $32,900

Attachments

• 5201973643.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 28

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a reason you arent considering going with a super ideal vendor? And did you run this one though the HCA? the steep pav angle is a bit concerning

Ray312

Rough_Rock
lol logged back in to delete my post because yes I need to pass on this. Needed to run this through HCA first it was very (very) poor.

Can you remind me which vendor you are referring to?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results