shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a fair price? First timer in need of guidance

sprkl21

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

With my 21st birthday coming up next Friday and the cancellation of university graduation I have decided it’s time to buy myself my dream diamond bracelet. I originally intended to buy a tennis/ diamond line bracelet but was told by the B&M jewellers that it wouldn’t be suitable for everyday wear? (I definitely want something I can wear everyday for years to come)
After a few weeks of looking I have found a bracelet I think could be the one. However it’s second hand and online with no certification and so I’m struggling to find something similar to compare pricing. Could anyone help?

It is 18ct gold with 48 princess cut natural diamonds. Estimated at 0.1 ct each, colour E-G, clarity estimated VS1-2.
Made by Adler. Circa 1970s/80s

1610790314644.jpeg

It’s priced at £3000, is this fair?

It will be my first diamond purchase and I’ve spent a few years saving and therefore very important to me and I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Just my 2 cents... For every day wear.. I would prefer diamonds by the yard bracelet from whiteflash..simple elegant. =)2

The one you have posted seem a bit too 'glamourous' for everyday wear..

But.. Ultimately..regardless of what we think.. You will be the one wearing it.. So as long it gives you joy.. Why not?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

With my 21st birthday coming up next Friday and the cancellation of university graduation I have decided it’s time to buy myself my dream diamond bracelet. I originally intended to buy a tennis/ diamond line bracelet but was told by the B&M jewellers that it wouldn’t be suitable for everyday wear? (I definitely want something I can wear everyday for years to come)
After a few weeks of looking I have found a bracelet I think could be the one. However it’s second hand and online with no certification and so I’m struggling to find something similar to compare pricing. Could anyone help?

It is 18ct gold with 48 princess cut natural diamonds. Estimated at 0.1 ct each, colour E-G, clarity estimated VS1-2.
Made by Adler. Circa 1970s/80s

1610790314644.jpeg

It’s priced at £3000, is this fair?

It will be my first diamond purchase and I’ve spent a few years saving and therefore very important to me and I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

If you are in UK, then yes, it is a good price.

HOWEVER, I would be hesitant to part with my own money without some form of evaluation for that sum of money, like a report stating its replacement value for insurance purposes to confirm they are indeed diamonds, estimated total carat weight and gold content by a person qualified to perform such evaluation.

Personal opinion and all that.

DK :))

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh go for the tennis bracelet! It IS a timeless piece that you can wear every day.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Here’s one. Perhaps you can go see it in person...

sprkl21

Rough_Rock
Just my 2 cents... For every day wear.. I would prefer diamonds by the yard bracelet from whiteflash..simple elegant. =)2

The one you have posted seem a bit too 'glamourous' for everyday wear..

But.. Ultimately..regardless of what we think.. You will be the one wearing it.. So as long it gives you joy.. Why not?

Thanks, that wasn’t a style I’d considered before. Guess I’m just a little apprehensive as I’m on unfamiliar ground. Thanks for your help

sprkl21

Rough_Rock
If you are in UK, then yes, it is a good price.

HOWEVER, I would be hesitant to part with my own money without some form of evaluation for that sum of money, like a report stating its replacement value for insurance purposes to confirm they are indeed diamonds, estimated total carat weight and gold content by a person qualified to perform such evaluation.

Personal opinion and all that.

DK :))

Thanks for your advice, I think it’s wise to get a valuation before purchase. Although frustratingly jewellers are shut here in the uk meaning that it might not be an option for a while! Guess I’ll take my chances and hope no one else falls in love with it :)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi from Australia.
congratulations for your birthday.
Like in the UK, buying jewellery is relatively more expensive than the US even taking into account shipping fees and taxes.
do you know what UK customs are on jewellery imported from the US?
I bought my tennis necklace from an eBay business seller (they are also bricks and mortar) in the US. I was quoted around AUD $20,000 here in Sydney which was outrageous given that I bought, new, with 10% taxes and shipping for half that.
the bracelet looks lovely, you need to enquire as to its weight in grams.
Also what is the locking mechanism. You want a push clasp AND at least one safety clip ( some have 2). Just a push clasp alone is not secure enough.
By comparison using the jewellery who I bought the tennis necklace from, they offer a 7 carat diamond tennis bracelet for 3000 pounds ($4,000 USD). That’s a lot more diamonds and new.
If you don’t have paperwork certifying colour and clarity it’s a risk to pay the $$$ premium when you may not be getting it.
also with the bracelet, it’s Princess cut diamonds, these are a bit “out of fashion” so you would expect a discount price wise “up against” to a similar round brilliant cut tennis bracelet.
as tempting as it is, 3000 pounds is a lot of money so don’t going rushing in.
If you’re happy to buy online and ok to pay customs, you’ll find a much bigger range and options available from the US.
and yes, you can most certainly wear a tennis bracelet (with safety clasp/s) without taking it off.

sprkl21

Rough_Rock
Hi from Australia.
congratulations for your birthday.
Like in the UK, buying jewellery is relatively more expensive than the US even taking into account shipping fees and taxes.
do you know what UK customs are on jewellery imported from the US?
I bought my tennis necklace from an eBay business seller (they are also bricks and mortar) in the US. I was quoted around AUD $20,000 here in Sydney which was outrageous given that I bought, new, with 10% taxes and shipping for half that.
the bracelet looks lovely, you need to enquire as to its weight in grams.
Also what is the locking mechanism. You want a push clasp AND at least one safety clip ( some have 2). Just a push clasp alone is not secure enough.
By comparison using the jewellery who I bought the tennis necklace from, they offer a 7 carat diamond tennis bracelet for 3000 pounds ($4,000 USD). That’s a lot more diamonds and new.
If you don’t have paperwork certifying colour and clarity it’s a risk to pay the $$$ premium when you may not be getting it.
also with the bracelet, it’s Princess cut diamonds, these are a bit “out of fashion” so you would expect a discount price wise “up against” to a similar round brilliant cut tennis bracelet.
as tempting as it is, 3000 pounds is a lot of money so don’t going rushing in.
If you’re happy to buy online and ok to pay customs, you’ll find a much bigger range and options available from the US.
and yes, you can most certainly wear a tennis bracelet (with safety clasp/s) without taking it off.

Thank you! I was apprehensive about ordering from the US but I’ll definitely look into it now. All part of the learning curve =)

elizat

Ideal_Rock
If you like a tennis bracelet, get that. It's very much an everyday piece for many. If you buy in the US, your dollar will stretch even with import taxes.

A bezel setting would be lower maintenance.

Or, a more classic setting.

ID Jewelry is a vendor that can do great things for your budget!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I second @elizat and think a bezeled tennis bracelet is a great way to have what you want and protect your diamonds without worrying about all those prongs.

I also want to say don't let yourself be talked out of what you want. Ultimately you will regret settling for something else and you still crave a tennis bracelet.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for a tennis bracelet if that is your first choice. It’s a very classic look and can be an everyday piece. I would recommend 14k for everyday wear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results