shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a decent diamond for the price?

DiamonQ

Rough_Rock
Hello, can you please help me evaluate this diamond: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-16767308
Is it a decent 1 ct. diamond for the price ($4900) for someone with a budget of approximately $5000? Is there a better 1 ct. (requirement) diamond within $300 of this currently available? I know this doesn't have the most ideal cut, it gets an HCA score of 2.2 with a bigger table and has strong blue fluorescence. But for someone with practically no diamond experience, is this "good enough" for an engagement ring diamond set on platinum, meaning will it likely look pretty enough with marginal to no perceptible quality degradation for an average person (especially if not placed next to a higher quality diamond)? thanks!

Factor Grade
Light Return: Very Good
Fire: Very Good
Scintillation: Very Good
Spread: Very Good
HCA Score : 2.2 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right

Last edited:

JSG2185

Shiny_Rock
Hi there!

Here’s an ACA (A Cut Above) from Whiteflash. It’s within the $5,000 budget (give or take $300). It’s 0.827 carats but round diamonds with ideal cuts tend to face up a tad larger getting you visually closer to 1 carat. Additionally, Whiteflash has a good upgrade policy if you ever want to upgrade and get a larger diamond in the future. Hope this helps!

Hello, can you please help me evaluate this diamond: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-16767308
Is it a decent 1 ct. diamond for the price ($4900) for someone with a budget of approximately $5000? Is there a better 1 ct. (requirement) diamond within $300 of this currently available? I know this doesn't have the most ideal cut, it gets an HCA score of 2.2 with a bigger table and has strong blue fluorescence. But for someone with practically no diamond experience, is this "good enough" for an engagement ring diamond set on platinum, meaning will it likely look pretty enough with marginal to no perceptible quality degradation for an average person (especially if not placed next to a higher quality diamond)? thanks!

Factor Grade
Light Return: Very Good
Fire: Very Good
Scintillation: Very Good
Spread: Very Good
HCA Score : 2.2 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right

Last edited:

DiamonQ

Rough_Rock
Hi there!

Here’s an ACA (A Cut Above) from Whiteflash. It’s within the $5,000 budget (give or take $300). It’s 0.827 carats but round diamonds with ideal cuts tend to face up a tad larger getting you visually closer to 1 carat. Additionally, Whiteflash has a good upgrade policy if you ever want to upgrade and get a larger diamond in the future. Hope this helps!

Thank you, but 1 carat is a minimum requirement for the engagement ring. I guess my questions can be simplified into:
1) is the diamond I linked decent enough for the price ($4,900)?
2) between it and the top cut H VS1 diamonds, are we talking about marginal visual difference or night and day difference to the untrained eye?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, but 1 carat is a minimum requirement for the engagement ring. I guess my questions can be simplified into:
2) between it and the top cut H VS1 diamonds, are we talking about marginal visual difference or night and day difference to the untrained eye?

The diamond you linked is a 60/60 style cut (with depth and table both close to 60%), which means it will be bright but not as fiery as a more balanced stone. An average person would likely be able to tell the difference.

Something like this would be more fiery.

DiamonQ

Rough_Rock
The diamond you linked is a 60/60 style cut (with depth and table both close to 60%), which means it will be bright but not as fiery as a more balanced stone. An average person would likely be able to tell the difference.

Something like this would be more fiery.

Thanks! How big would you say the difference might be? like 50% less firy or 10% less (I'd consider the latter marginal)?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! How big would you say the difference might be? like 50% less firy or 10% less (I'd consider the latter marginal)?

Here's a video that compares a 60/60 diamond to a super ideal cut diamond.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How good is their eyesight?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I really like the first one, and it looks like it would be eye-clean.

JSG2185

Shiny_Rock
Hi! Sorry, my answers should have been more detailed. I personally would spend the $4,900 on a diamond that has more balanced/ideal proportions so that every aspect of it “pops”. For me, I think there is a visual difference, even to an untrained eye. I have a steep deep diamond from long ago and although it’s white/bright, it produces very little fire and has a flat/dull center unless it’s under artificial “jewelry store lighting”. It’s honestly disappointing next to better cut diamonds.

At the end of the day, buy what is most pleasing to your eye, but since diamonds aren’t cheap, my advice is get a great one for your dollar.

DiamonQ

Rough_Rock
Here's a video that compares a 60/60 diamond to a super ideal cut diamond.

Thanks, I guess I can't decide between the two in the video which is better lol. Also, the one I linked has a more defined arrow pattern than the 60/60 in the video? which might make it more similar to the non 60/60 in the video?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I guess I can't decide between the two in the video which is better lol. Also, the one I linked has a more defined arrow pattern than the 60/60 in the video? which might make it more similar to the non 60/60 in the video?

The one you linked does seem to be a better cut 60/60 than the one in the video.

DiamonQ

Rough_Rock

Young with good eyesight, so eye clean is a priority too... so I tried to avoid SI1. Since this is for an engagement ring (i.e., gift for someone who doesn't know diamonds) rather than for self appreciation, I wanted a relatively clean GIA report for clarity, as the defects could be misunderstood as "buying her a diamond with many defects" when she sees the report. Making the gift presentable on paper (e.g., 1ct, 3EX, clean report) is more important than marginal visual quality gain. It'd be difficult to explain to her "it has these many defects listed in the report but it has good proportions." That being said, I also wanted a decent enough diamond for the dollar spent too, so I can have some peace of mind that I paid a fair price for it, and that it looks "pretty enough" to her (i.e., untrained eye) and others without experience.

DiamonQ

Rough_Rock
And as you might have noticed, I already bought it and am really now just looking for affirmation that I made a decent enough choice lol. I am still in the returnable period waiting for shipment, so if it's not outrageously bad, like if it gets at least a 7 out of 10, then I will likely just accept it as is. Please tell me it's not "that bad"? lol

Maybe when I actually receive it I can make a personal judgement myself whether it looks decent to my untrained eyes too.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And as you might have noticed, I already bought it and am really now just looking for affirmation that I made a decent enough choice lol. I am still in the returnable period waiting for shipment, so if it's not outrageously bad, like if it gets at least a 7 out of 10, then I will likely just accept it as is. Please tell me it's not "that bad"? lol

Maybe when I actually receive it I can make a personal judgement myself whether it looks decent to my untrained eyes too.

I understand that you likely want us to affirm that you made a good choice, but unfortunately I just dont think you did. For the price you could do much better.

DiamonQ

Rough_Rock
I understand that you likely want us to affirm that you made a good choice, but unfortunately I just dont think you did. For the price you could do much better.

Sigh... maybe I should cancel the order and start over? I didn't know adiamor.com but it does seem to have lower prices. Is it reputable? Their website looks so much like James Allen.

So, if I were to start over, is this what everyone recommends: https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.00-ct-H-VS1-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D51818762?rfr=search&#
or can I do better yet for $5000? for (1 ct, eye clean, H+, 3EX, clean report)

thanks

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sigh... maybe I should cancel the order and start over? I didn't know adiamor.com but it does seem to have lower prices. Is it reputable? Their website looks so much like James Allen.

So, if I were to start over, is this what everyone recommends: https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.00-ct-H-VS1-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D51818762?rfr=search&#
or can I do better yet for $5000? for (1 ct, eye clean, H+, 3EX, clean report)

thanks

Yes, if you start over, that stone from Adiamor is what I'd recommend.

DiamonQ

Rough_Rock
Yes, if you start over, that stone from Adiamor is what I'd recommend.

I want the 6-prong knife edge setting though, Adiamor's is $600 more expensive than James Allen after coupons and promotions. So, picking this diamond would make the engagement ring $600 more. Is this diamond $600 better than the one I picked?

I guess I could buy things separately, but would have to go through the trouble to find a jeweler to help me mount it (how much is the labor usually?) and lose time...

What price do you guys think would be fair for the diamond I linked? just trying to see how much I am overspending if sticking with it.

Last edited:

JSG2185

Shiny_Rock
It’s all subjective to a certain degree but in my opinion you overpaid for the James Allen if there is a better cut stone around that same price vicinity.

Most people on this forum err on the side of cut being king because cut can make all the difference in how well a diamond performs. Therefore the responses will likely be biased towards a better cut stone. I understand you want the GIA paper to be “clean”, but you wear the diamond not the piece of paper.

Having a ring made versus buying one already made for you isn’t difficult. A simple 6 prong knife edge setting shouldn’t cost a ton. The price will vary among the different setting vendors but in general, the simpler the design, the more cost friendly the ring will be. If you start adding intricate metal or pave detail then the price goes up of course.

You can search this forum and see what different setting vendors have created, there are quite a few vetted and highly skilled ones.

I want the 6-prong knife edge setting though, Adiamor's is $600 more expensive than James Allen after coupons and promotions. So, picking this diamond would make the engagement ring $600 more. Is this diamond $600 better than the one I picked?

I guess I could buy things separately, but would have to go through the trouble to find a jeweler to help me mount it (how much is the labor usually?) and lose time...

What price do you guys think would be fair for the diamond I linked? just trying to see how much I am overspending if sticking with it.

DiamonQ

Rough_Rock
It’s all subjective to a certain degree but in my opinion you overpaid for the James Allen if there is a better cut stone around that same price vicinity.

Most people on this forum err on the side of cut being king because cut can make all the difference in how well a diamond performs. Therefore the responses will likely be biased towards a better cut stone. I understand you want the GIA paper to be “clean”, but you wear the diamond not the piece of paper.

Having a ring made versus buying one already made for you isn’t difficult. A simple 6 prong knife edge setting shouldn’t cost a ton. The price will vary among the different setting vendors but in general, the simpler the design, the more cost friendly the ring will be. If you start adding intricate metal or pave detail then the price goes up of course.

You can search this forum and see what different setting vendors have created, there are quite a few vetted and highly skilled ones.

Thanks. I'd like to know the fair price for the diamond I linked though, as that could help me assess whether it's worth the trouble to go through re-ordering and finding a local jeweler to mount.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I'd like to know the fair price for the diamond I linked though, as that could help me assess whether it's worth the trouble to go through re-ordering and finding a local jeweler to mount.

We cant give you a great sense of what you should have paid for the stone you have. I would happily pay 600 more for the adiamor stone and setting, but that's just me

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We cant give you a great sense of what you should have paid for the stone you have. I would happily pay 600 more for the adiamor stone and setting, but that's just me

I would too!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Chat with a JA rep and see if they can get the diamond listed at Adiamor and what their price would be, if so.

Here's one to also have a look at:

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@DiamonQ , I can vouch for Adiamor. My upgraded ering was from them and my upgrade to my upgrade was with them. And FWIW, I would 100% pay $600 more to get the Adiamor diamond vs. the one you linked. Definitely worth canceling the order and ordering the Adiamor one.

DiamonQ

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the encouragement, I am more persuaded now than before. So, if going with Adiamor or another vendor, can I get a similar stone (to the Adiamor one) for less to cushion the $600 difference? or is that Adiamor stone such a good stone that it's the best $5000 can buy currently for the specs (1ct, 3EX, H+, eye clean) I needed?

I also asked JA, they said I could send in the stone to them for mounting but they'd charge $230.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the encouragement, I am more persuaded now than before. So, if going with Adiamor or another vendor, can I get a similar stone (to the Adiamor one) for less to cushion the $600 difference? or is that Adiamor stone such a good stone that it's the best $5000 can buy currently for the specs (1ct, 3EX, H+, eye clean) I needed?

I also asked JA, they said I could send in the stone to them for mounting but they'd charge $230.

I couldn't find a cheaper stone that was similar quality.

Can you post the links to the settings at Adiamor and James Allen?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Kim N about posting a link to the JA setting that you're after...we can try and make some recommendations for sellers that might be able to either get it through their suppliers or make it.

DiamonQ

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend wants a classic 6-prong ring, I want it in platinum. The only one that looks decent at JA is this one: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ife-edged-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-2426
There's a 30% discount at JA making the setting only $1001.

But she also thinks the cheaper (sub-$1000) regular classic 6-prong settings at blue nile and brilliant earth are good too.

Adiamor only has: https://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-...dge-Solitaire-For-Round-Diamond/Platinum/1424

Does Adiamor offer any discounts?

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results