shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a crazy idea?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an idea I’ve had before but didn’t act on it but now starting to think more seriously about hacking this setting.

I’m usually a purist with vintage an antique stuff but I think this kind of works. What do you guys think?
904437C0-220A-483B-8B14-B3B52F7DB89E.jpeg A6E16812-166A-4E60-BE6F-67B419BEFD03.jpeg

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I mean... I like it! I think it's pretty so I would probably do it lol.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Also! Since I can't edit i have long term plans to actually do the same with the setting of my grandmother's engagement ring. We took the stone from the setting but once I can reshank it I plan on putting in either a blue lab diamond or a white one because it's still a very lovely set and I am kinda hoping someday somebody in our family might make some use of it. So it would end up being a similar thing to what you are asking about.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

@MeowMeow that sounds amazing, I love the idea of reinventing a ring to get more wear or enjoyment out of it!

I’m actually thinking of sending this to David Klass because I want the prongs to be claw like and beautiful. My local guy doesn’t do prongs well at all.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
What is this stone and what does the original look like? I think it looks lovely and I like the idea of the other reviewer who suggested a pink prong or even a rose gold bezel :)

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It's a smashing idea and will make a beautiful ring.
I quite like the idea of repurposing. I can't wait to see it.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

@MeowMeow that sounds amazing, I love the idea of reinventing a ring to get more wear or enjoyment out of it!

I’m actually thinking of sending this to David Klass because I want the prongs to be claw like and beautiful. My local guy doesn’t do prongs well at all.

Dooo it dooo it lol. David definitely does amazing work!! I drool over quite a few things his team gets their hands on!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dooo it dooo it lol. David definitely does amazing work!! I drool over quite a few things his team gets their hands on!

I just emailed him!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I like it too.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually like things in their original condition, but this sounds interesting!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada Can I ask why you no longer wear it as is? It’s such a beautiful original Art Deco ring—hard to come by. What would you do with the center stone if you set the pink one in this setting? Will you wear it more bc of the color? Would you normally spend as much on a new setting as you will when this is said and done—by passing up the opportunity to sell it as is? Sorry. You don’t have to answer all my nosy questions—but these are the questions I would pose to myself. I currently have two Art Deco rings about this size and I’m glad that I’ve never sold or reset them bc finding them again for the price I paid is impossible—and this coming from the bargain hunter that I am!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
first off @YadaYadaYada
you have wonderful ideas, not crazy ones

i do love the ring as is but the pink diamond looks amazing in that setting

if you are missing a diamond art deco ring in your collection and you would wear this more than the ring as it is now, i say go for it
and i do like the idea of bringing in the rose gold into the prongs to bring out the colour of the diamond and to tie in with your chain

edit
may i just say i would be interested to see it with the chain in a west east position (prertty please)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All good questions @nala and I don’t see them as nosy, I did ask for opinions =)2

I searched for a while to find “the one” ring to wear as my wedding set, I tried a lot of rings, some I’ve sold and some I still have. Now that I have my go to wedding set I’m looking to reinvent the rings I’m not wearing as much. It’s kind of a convenience thing because I already have this pink diamond, have this setting it will fit in so why not whip up something new?

That said I will hold on to the original diamond in case I want to change it back someday. I’m also not sure that I will change the prongs to rose gold either because again it would be another more permanent change.

@Daisys and Diamonds, so the chain won’t be part of the ring, the pink diamond is set in a necklace currently that is rose gold plated sterling silver. I just set it on top to get an idea of what it might look like with the pink diamond in there. Now in an ideal world an old European cut lab pink diamond would be my first choice but that would cost me a whole lot more than I paid for this.

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
I had this same idea and did set a pink (irradiated) diamond into an art deco setting.
I thought I would love it- but I didn't :(
Something never seemed "right" about an original art deco ring with a pink diamond in it.
I ended up selling it years ago
Just my thoughts......
I think your ring is beautiful as is.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with keeping the original diamond in case you change your mind. That said, I think it's beautiful both ways.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Paisley2628, thank you for posting, I appreciate having the perspective from someone who has done this. I guess if there is any hesitation it’s exactly that, it might look off or out of place. I know sometimes I see blue sapphires that have obviously replaced a diamond in an Art Deco setting and it doesn’t look cohesive.

Thanks @Diamond Girl 21, I planned on keeping the diamond all along, it’s a G color transitional with very good clarity so if I sold it then I would have to spend a good bit to replace it later on.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like it. The pink diamond adds contrast and a pop of color. I'm a mix between a purist and a pragmatist when it comes to antique or vintage anything. Yes, a lovely antique ring deserves to be worn and loved in its original state (fixes to address structural issues, notwithstanding). But if you don't wear it and don't want to (or can't) sell it, why not change out the stone?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This previously held a 5mm diamond and I’m thinking rather than hack my existing ring that this might be a good home for it. It would be a middle finger ring. Btw it’s not missing a diamond below the opal, that’s just a reflection ;)2

7C99CB9D-A38F-4C28-B6CD-D18B49F27DAE.jpeg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This previously held a 5mm diamond and I’m thinking rather than hack my existing ring that this might be a good home for it. It would be a middle finger ring. Btw it’s not missing a diamond below the opal, that’s just a reflection ;)2

I love this!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @nala, I thought of you when I found it, I said ohhh the baguettes and marquise...could
totally see Nala posting this ;)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

ohhhhhhh :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:
i like it :appl: :appl: :appl:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Daisys and Diamonds!

I feel like I’m all over the place all the time with different ideas and such. So hopefully that doesn’t come off as too chaotic, it just takes a bit for me to figure stuff out :lol:

This is lovely! And I agree, a better fit for the pink diamond than your other ring. It’s going to look beautiful here!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is a really beautiful setting. The pink diamond would look great in there!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results