shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there a definitive Ring Size conversion chart?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

I just thought I'd ask the question as I've found two different conversion charts online and I'm, er, somewhat confused... :???: lol

For example, this webpage:

http://ringsizes.co/

states proudly in capital letters that it is "The Official International Ring Size Conversion Chart", whereas this webpage:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/275431752/free-gift-for-you-ring-sizing-chart-ring

has two different size charts within it :shock:

So, as an entire selfish example, the other half's ring size of 'O and a half' in UK size is either a US size 7.25 (according to the first link and one of the pictures in the second link) or is a US Size 7.75 (according to the other two pictures in the second link). :shock:

Half a size difference could make all the difference in having a ring that is 'just right' or a ring that is 'way too tight', so some clarity would be great, in order that we could order from the US and know we're getting the right size!! lol

Of course, one then has to ask a vendor which conversion chart they are using (if any), so it does seem the best way to do this is to just find a ring that fits perfectly and then get a micrometer thingy out to actually measure its internal diameter in proper SI units of measurement... :lol:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1476364676|4086602 said:
* * * So, as an entire selfish example, the other half's ring size of 'O and a half' in UK size is either a US size 7.25 (according to the first link and one of the pictures in the second link) or is a US Size 7.75 (according to the other two pictures in the second link). :shock:
Half a size difference could make all the difference in having a ring that is 'just right' or a ring that is 'way too tight', so some clarity would be great, in order that we could order from the US and know we're getting the right size!! lol
Of course, one then has to ask a vendor which conversion chart they are using (if any), so it does seem the best way to do this is to just find a ring that fits perfectly and then get a micrometer thingy out to actually measure its internal diameter in proper SI units of measurement... :lol:
I think that's actually a great idea! Unfortunately, even metal mandrels & those sets of metal sizer rings on a hoop are not all truly uniform; you'll see in this thread that Trade member Lee Little had 3 mandrels that proved to be inconsistent with each other:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-do-you-properly-measure-ring-size-on-a-mandrel.199854/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-do-you-properly-measure-ring-size-on-a-mandrel.199854/[/URL]
So it's entirely possible that even another UK O-1/2 wouldn't fit your SO's finger as well as the one she has now. (I purchased two vintage rings off eBay several years ago which the UK vendors said were UK N-1/2 rings; one was bigger than the other.)

Plus, not everyone uses mandrels as a measuring device in the same way. So my suggestion would be to buy a cheap ring of the same mm width as the intended purchase (or as close to it as you can get) & send that to the US vendor; have a local jeweler (who presumably has a fine caliper) follow the pointers provided by the Trade members in the link above and give you the measurements; or buy yourself a metal mandrel and inexpensive digital caliper & follow those same pointers. :)) I personally enjoy having my own caliper and mandrel.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a multi-region/country mandrel plus 2 sets of metal ring sizers - one with thin bands and one with wide bands, all from jewellery suppliers via eBay, very useful.

The wide-band ring sizer was necessary as I discovered I needed to make chunkier rings in more than 1 US size bigger!

DK :))

MarlonN

Rough_Rock
I was having the same issue because I really need the ring to fit just right, so I was worried about which chart was best. I thought I might have to 'steal' one of her rings to get the size. I'm glad I found out about the charts now. Thanks for sharing.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This covers a pretty wide range of sizes. It also has diameter inside the ring in mm and the length around the finger both in inches and mm along with conversions for several countries.

Attachments

• ring_size_chart.bmp
    603 KB · Views: 2,194

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many thanks for everyone's replies and information :))

Looks like the two charts RockDiamond and Oldminer have posted have O-and-a-half as 7.25 equivalent, so that adds weight to that conversion.

However, I can get the other half's apparently O-and-a-half engagement ring on my ring finger (which freaks her out :lol: lol) but I couldn't get what was apparently a 7.5 on the other day when I was trying on rings for me, so maybe the 7.75 conversion is more accurate/correct??

This is so confusing... I think a micrometer is the only way I'm going to be sure!!

DK - Thanks for the recommendation of some ebaying - I think I might have to go down that route... lol

jenniann

Shiny_Rock
I have found this one to be the most accurate for my size (5-6):
http://www.celtarts.com/ring_size.htm

If you can pick up a pair of digital calipers from Maplin that is a good way to check - I've found there is some variation in US sizes from one vendor to another so I generally back it up with the internal diameter in mm to make sure the size ends up correct. I have ordered rings in a 5.5, 5.75 and 6 based on this chart and found the mm and UK sizes transposed across correctly.

jenniann

Shiny_Rock
Just based on my experience, the chart above is out by about half a size (at least in my sizes) - a US 5.5 / 16.1mm is not a UK L, it is a K 1/2.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results