shape
carat
color
clarity

Is the Size Difference Significant Enough?

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I am thinking of upgrading (size-wise) my CBI 2.13ct. I am trying to avoid going with 2.5ct as I do not necessarily want to pay premium for crossing the 2.5ct mark. I found a 2.41ct stone of the color and clarity I desire. The problem is, I do not see a size difference to be significant enough or is it just me? I consider my stone perfect (to me) - except for the size and I would not want to give it up unless I can see the size difference. If I go up to 2.5-2.6ct, I would have to go down to an I color (not sure how I feel about that as my current one is a high H). Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 4.04.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 4.04.16 PM.png
    264.8 KB · Views: 54

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Doesn't sound like it's significant enough for you. Sooo... it's probably not :)

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely see a size difference. Funny how perception varies. Whether the difference is enough for you is totally a different story. Have you played around with Diamond Database to see at what point the visual difference is enough for you to move forward?

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot to add that the price difference is $7,000.

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
It totally looks bigger to me. But I won’t be the one wearing it daily. If it’s not significant enough for you, save up until you can go bigger. Best of luck!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you're talking roughly 8.30 vs 8.60, or 0.30mm difference right? I see the difference in your screen cap, but it's not impactful to my eyes.

A nerd perspective:
  • 0.30mm = 0.011811 inches
  • 1/64th inch = 1/64 = 0.015625 inches
Below is a MAGNIFIED pictures of a standard tape measurer. Each mark is 1/16th of an inch. The half way point between each mark would be 1/32". So 25% of the distance between the 16th marks is 1/64".

I don't think anyone is going to have an "OMG, it's massive" moment over the size increase. But to the one that looks at it everyday, it may make your heart sing.

The real question becomes is it worth $7k? And also, if you waited X time could you cross that 2.5 mark and get a more significant size bump?

And another weird way to look at it is like buying stocks. You want to buy cheap, so is now an opportunity to buy a normally priced $10k upgrade for $7k? I'm not sure as I've not been tracking but that is something I would try to leverage in my favor.

1330801A-9D70-420A-B011-D9F6093A35BF.jpeg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a size difference. If your goal is to upgrade but not breach the 2.50 mark, this might be for you. I am assuming it is your current color/clarity. Some people are looking for a significant size increase and some are happy with less. I went from. 2.19 to a 2.53 - 34 pts. to your 28 pts. and definitely saw a size increase. While you might not be wanting to upgrade again, that would always be an option for you down the road. The size stone you are considering doesn’t always come along often so I would give it serious consideration. How is that for enabling - lol!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
The fact that you have a 3 3/4 finger size, I do think there will be a significant difference for you to enjoy viewing it everyday on your finger. I don't think other people will notice the difference though.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
As others have said, follow your heart and do what makes you happy. For me however, I would not upgrade for such a slight of difference to the tune of 7k. For 7k, I would want to "see" 7k's worth. Being a mind clean upgrade isn't enough for me for that price. But again, do what will make you happy in the long run :)

elizat

Ideal_Rock
As others have said, follow your heart and do what makes you happy. For me however, I would not upgrade for such a slight of difference to the tune of 7k. For 7k, I would want to "see" 7k's worth. Being a mind clean upgrade isn't enough for me for that price. But again, do what will make you happy in the long run :)

Same. I do not think that size difference is worth the price. However, not my money and not my finger!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even though the question asked is if the size is significant enough, It’s not just 7K to go from 2.13ct to 2.41ct, but to keep the desired color and clarity too and it isn‘t inexpensive. Finding that perfect balance between size, color and clarity is daunting. I agree with @MissGotRocks, stones in this size range aren‘t plentiful.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even though the question asked is if the size is significant enough, It’s not just 7K to go from 2.13ct to 2.41ct, but to keep the desired color and clarity too and it isn‘t inexpensive. Finding that perfect balance between size, color and clarity is daunting. I agree with @MissGotRocks, stones in this size range aren‘t plentiful.

You are correct - hitting all the marks is not easy! If we could special order a diamond with all of our preferred specs, life would be good. Sadly, it doesn’t work that way.
@daisygrl You have been offered a variety of opinions but you are the ultimate judge. Please keep us posted on your decision and good luck!

Last edited:

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock

That is funny because that is exactly what I thought, you just somehow put it in words for me. I just imagined $7,000 that would bring more than .28ct difference - or more of a "wow, that is bigger" factor. But passing the 2.5ct mark is going to cost far more. I am waiting for Layla to give me an estimate how much more. :???:

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I see a size difference. If your goal is to upgrade but not breach the 2.50 mark, this might be for you. I am assuming it is your current color/clarity. Some people are looking for a significant size increase and some are happy with less. I went from. 2.19 to a 2.53 - 34 pts. to your 28 pts. and definitely saw a size increase. While you might not be wanting to upgrade again, that would always be an option for you down the road. The size stone you are considering doesn’t always come along often so I would give it serious consideration. How is that for enabling - lol!

That is my dilemma, that these sizes do not come along often. WF does not have it nor does VC. My sweet spot is your size 2.50+ or, heck, if I have to pay a premium for 2.5ct, I might as well go with 2.60ct and be done with it (it would be my forever size - and as I said it, my husband rolled his eyes.) I am trying to find out how much of a difference would it be in 2.5ct and I color and possibly go from there.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is funny because that is exactly what I thought, you just somehow put it in words for me. I just imagine $7,000 that would bring more than .28ct difference. But passing the 2.5ct is going to cost far more. I am waiting for Layla to give me an estimate how much more. :???:

Well, 7k for .25 added to a two plus carat stone. How do we really quantify 7k worth of diamond? Upgrades are just expensive - I feel your pain!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely see a difference but I don’t know if I would want to pay 7K for that difference. I might wait until you can save for a more significant upgrade.

I might actually do that - I just need my husband to say yes to that. :twisted:

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Well, 7k for .25 added to a two plus carat stone. How do we really quantify 7k worth of diamond? Upgrades are just expensive - I feel your pain!

Just between you and I, I also believe CBI raised prices. Nearly $34,000 for 2.41, H, VS2 - I am not sure and it leaves me perplexed.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
So you're talking roughly 8.30 vs 8.60, or 0.30mm difference right? I see the difference in your screen cap, but it's not impactful to my eyes.

A nerd perspective:
  • 0.30mm = 0.011811 inches
  • 1/64th inch = 1/64 = 0.015625 inches
Below is a MAGNIFIED pictures of a standard tape measurer. Each mark is 1/16th of an inch. The half way point between each mark would be 1/32". So 25% of the distance between the 16th marks is 1/64".

I don't think anyone is going to have an "OMG, it's massive" moment over the size increase. But to the one that looks at it everyday, it may make your heart sing.

The real question becomes is it worth $7k? And also, if you waited X time could you cross that 2.5 mark and get a more significant size bump?

And another weird way to look at it is like buying stocks. You want to buy cheap, so is now an opportunity to buy a normally priced $10k upgrade for $7k? I'm not sure as I've not been tracking but that is something I would try to leverage in my favor.

1330801A-9D70-420A-B011-D9F6093A35BF.jpeg

OMG, you are too sweet to go through all the trouble with the measurements. Actually, mine is 8.24x8.27 - not sure what the measurements of the 2.41 are as it is not cut yet. I just always imagined that I would need 2.6 in order to see "a wow" factor.
Layla has suggested for me to go to Tiffany to see if they have something close to 2.4 and compare.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just between you and I, I also believe CBI raised prices. Nearly $34,000 for 2.41, H, VS2 - I am not sure and it leaves me perplexed.

Diamond price increases have been bantered about for awhile so maybe they have? I think supply is short these days but Sledge is right too - cost is definitely one of the C’s. Sleep on it - sometimes I get more clarity in the middle of the night when the cobwebs settle down than I can ever get in the daylight. Right for one is not right for all but you are the one right now!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Diamond price increases have been bantered about for awhile so maybe they have? I think supply is short these days but Sledge is right too - cost is definitely one of the C’s. Sleep on it - sometimes I get more clarity in the middle of the night when the cobwebs settle down than I can ever get in the daylight. Right for one is not right for all but you are the one right now!

Lol. My brain works similarly. I get the best (most accurate) ideas/solutions at 3am so we shall see what this night brings. Thank you for your thoughtful input!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I upgraded the color from 2.60 ct H VS1 CBI to a 2.62 ct G VS1 CBI. (same diameter stone) it wasn't cheap...:bigsmile:

I know, I saw your 2.60 (my perfect size) listed on CBI old side about a year ago - should have grabbed it. :snore:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I upgraded the color from 2.60 ct H VS1 CBI to a 2.62 ct G VS1 CBI. (same diameter stone) it wasn't cheap...:bigsmile:

I downgraded in weight from 2.21 to 2.18, but up in color from F to E and up in clarity from SI1 to VS1 and had to chip in a bunch, but not too much. Diamond prices had dropped between the time I received the CTO and the new stone became available.

If I were to upgrade again, it would be in mm size from 9+mm to at least 10mm, so whatever that ct weight it would be.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results